Advice Welcomed Between 2 Itineraries...Alaskan Newbie

krxstxn

Hello fellow cruisers,

We are having to re-book our May 2020 Alaska cruise for 2021 and are looking into two different options on Celebrity and would like some advice if possible.  We prefer a longer cruise so are looking a 9 night cruise (it’s the only 9 night option of the season) but it departs on May 7th (2021) which seems fairly early in the cruising season so I'm concerned about weather and if tours will be operating.  It goes to Hubbard Glacier as opposed to the Endicott arm which the cruise we’re currently booked on is going to.  The other cruise we’re looking at is a 7 night cruise but it has some weird port times…like in Juneau it doesn’t arrive until 1:30pm and in Victoria it’s only there from 5:30pm-11:59pm…I'd like to make sure we can fully take advantage of the ports we're in.

I know no one can control the weather but if seeing glaciers is really important to us, which cruise would you say may have the better chance (the itineraries are below)?  The 9 night has 2 “inside passage” cruising days…would we see fjords in the inside passage or is this simple sea day cruising?  If you’ve been on multiple Alaskan cruises, which would you recommend between the two listed?

Thanks you in advance for your advice!  I really appreciate it!  

9 NIGHTS - Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise

Day 1, Fri, May 7, 2021 - VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA - Departs: 4:30PM

Day 2, Sat, May 8, 2021 - INSIDE PASSAGE (CRUISING)

Day 3, Sun, May 9, 2021 - SITKA, ALASKA - Docked: 9:30AM to 7:00PM

Day 4, Mon, May 10, 2021 - SKAGWAY, ALASKA - Docked: 9:00AM to 8:00PM

Day 5, Tue, May 11, 2021 - ICY STRAIT POINT, ALASKA - Docked: 1:30PM to 10:00PM

Day 6, Wed, May 12, 2021 - HUBBARD GLACIER (CRUISING)

Day 7, Thu, May 13, 2021 - JUNEAU, ALASKA - Docked: 7:30AM to 8:00PM

Day 8, Fri, May 14, 2021 - KETCHIKAN, ALASKA - Docked: 2:00PM to 8:30PM

Day 9, Sat, May 15, 2021 - INSIDE PASSAGE (CRUISING)

Day 10, Sun, May 16, 2021 - VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA - Arrival: 7:00AM

7 NIGHTS - Alaska Dawes Glacier Cruise

Day 1, Fri, May 28, 2021 - SEATTLE, WASHINGTON - Departs: 4:00PM

Day 2, Sat, May 29, 2021 - AT SEA

Day 3, Sun, May 30, 2021 - KETCHIKAN, ALASKA - Docked: 7:00AM to 4:00PM

Day 4, Mon, May 31, 2021 - ENDICOTT ARM & DAWES GLACIER

Day 4, Mon, May 31, 2021 - JUNEAU, ALASKA - Docked: 1:30PM to 10:00PM

Day 5, Tue, Jun 1, 2021 - SKAGWAY, ALASKA - Docked: 7:00AM to 6:00PM

Day 5, Tue, Jun 1, 2021 - ALASKA INSIDE PASSAGE

Day 6, Wed, Jun 2, 2021 - AT SEA

Day 7, Thu, Jun 3, 2021 - VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA - Docked: 5:30PM to 11:59PM

Day 8, Fri, Jun 4, 2021 - SEATTLE, WASHINGTON - Arrival: 6:00AM

Of those two the first one would be my choice. It not only gives you Hubbard Glacier but Sitka which by many who have been there, is their favorite port, as is mine in SE Alaska.

Hubbard Glacier is impressive at 7 miles wide, Dawes Glacier is about ½ mile wide.

Although, if glaciers were a priority I’d do neither of these and choose a trip with Glacier Bay. Princess has some dandy trips that do both Hubbard & Glacier Bay or Glacier Bay and College Fjord. Exceptional glacier trips.

Hubbard Glacier can be difficult to get to due to ice sometimes. You may want to consider the excursion that has been offered, if it still is in 2021.  It’s ridiculously expensive but your chances of getting to the face of the glacier is significantly increased. Previous posts indicate it runs $250-$400. If offered, it will be on your ships excursion list.

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Hubbard Glacier can be difficult to get to due to ice sometimes. You may want to consider the excursion that has been offered, if it still is in 2021.  It’s ridiculously expensive but your chances of getting to the face of the glacier is significantly increased. Previous posts indicate it runs $250-$400. If offered, it will be on your ships excursion list.

Will do!  It's currently not listed but I've read from other forums that it pops up about 6 months before the sailing date so I'll stay tuned! Thank you!

There most likely will not be any Alaska cruises going before 01 July, as all Canadian ports are closed until then.

PVSA Rules require a foreign port call on an Alaska cruise by a foreign flag ship.

Unless your Alaska cruise is stopping in Japan or South America, it cannot happen.

You could look at the few American Flag ships that cruise Alaska - although they are not very good and also terribly expensive.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:46 AM, BruceMuzz said:

There most likely will not be any Alaska cruises going before 01 July, as all Canadian ports are closed until then.

PVSA Rules require a foreign port call on an Alaska cruise by a foreign flag ship.

Unless your Alaska cruise is stopping in Japan or South America, it cannot happen.

You could look at the few American Flag ships that cruise Alaska - although they are not very good and also terribly expensive.

Hi There,

This is for 2021 so fingers crossed we're all good by then 🙂

Thanks!

On 3/11/2020 at 7:45 PM, krxstxn said:

Hello fellow cruisers,

We are having to re-book our May 2020 Alaska cruise for 2021 and are looking into two different options on Celebrity and would like some advice if possible.  We prefer a longer cruise so are looking a 9 night cruise (it’s the only 9 night option of the season) but it departs on May 7th (2021) which seems fairly early in the cruising season so I'm concerned about weather and if tours will be operating.  It goes to Hubbard Glacier as opposed to the Endicott arm which the cruise we’re currently booked on is going to.  The other cruise we’re looking at is a 7 night cruise but it has some weird port times…like in Juneau it doesn’t arrive until 1:30pm and in Victoria it’s only there from 5:30pm-11:59pm…I'd like to make sure we can fully take advantage of the ports we're in.

I know no one can control the weather but if seeing glaciers is really important to us, which cruise would you say may have the better chance (the itineraries are below)?  The 9 night has 2 “inside passage” cruising days…would we see fjords in the inside passage or is this simple sea day cruising?  If you’ve been on multiple Alaskan cruises, which would you recommend between the two listed?

Thanks you in advance for your advice!  I really appreciate it!  

9 NIGHTS - Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise

Day 1, Fri, May 7, 2021 - VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA - Departs: 4:30PM

Day 2, Sat, May 8, 2021 - INSIDE PASSAGE (CRUISING)

Day 3, Sun, May 9, 2021 - SITKA, ALASKA - Docked: 9:30AM to 7:00PM

Day 4, Mon, May 10, 2021 - SKAGWAY, ALASKA - Docked: 9:00AM to 8:00PM

Day 5, Tue, May 11, 2021 - ICY STRAIT POINT, ALASKA - Docked: 1:30PM to 10:00PM

Day 6, Wed, May 12, 2021 - HUBBARD GLACIER (CRUISING)

Day 7, Thu, May 13, 2021 - JUNEAU, ALASKA - Docked: 7:30AM to 8:00PM

Day 8, Fri, May 14, 2021 - KETCHIKAN, ALASKA - Docked: 2:00PM to 8:30PM

Day 9, Sat, May 15, 2021 - INSIDE PASSAGE (CRUISING)

Day 10, Sun, May 16, 2021 - VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA - Arrival: 7:00AM

7 NIGHTS - Alaska Dawes Glacier Cruise

Day 1, Fri, May 28, 2021 - SEATTLE, WASHINGTON - Departs: 4:00PM

Day 2, Sat, May 29, 2021 - AT SEA

Day 3, Sun, May 30, 2021 - KETCHIKAN, ALASKA - Docked: 7:00AM to 4:00PM

Day 4, Mon, May 31, 2021 - ENDICOTT ARM & DAWES GLACIER

Day 4, Mon, May 31, 2021 - JUNEAU, ALASKA - Docked: 1:30PM to 10:00PM

Day 5, Tue, Jun 1, 2021 - SKAGWAY, ALASKA - Docked: 7:00AM to 6:00PM

Day 5, Tue, Jun 1, 2021 - ALASKA INSIDE PASSAGE

Day 6, Wed, Jun 2, 2021 - AT SEA

Day 7, Thu, Jun 3, 2021 - VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA - Docked: 5:30PM to 11:59PM

Day 8, Fri, Jun 4, 2021 - SEATTLE, WASHINGTON - Arrival: 6:00AM

My choice is the 9 night. Better itinerary, longer cruise.

1 hour ago, gogiantsfan29 said:

Hi,

We are booked on the May 7th, 2021 cruise. I like the earlier cruise as I don't think it will be as crowded in fact I think I had look and we were the only ship in port in some of them which is great.  

I've only taken early May cruises. I think it's ideal. It's still cool (isn't Alaska supposed to be???), the mountains still have snow on them, fewer other tourists, etc. Our first Alaska cruise we were the only ship in each port except for the stop in Ketchikan - it was towards the end of the cruise and there was a couple other ships. We were also the 1st ship of the season in Sitka and Hoonah (Icy Strait). I think the locals are happy to see the tourists (and their money) and aren't worn out from them yet.  We had excellent weather both times but two completely different Glacier Bay days - one was crystal clear and calm, the other was rainy, foggy & cloudy and quite a bit colder.  Both were interesting in their own way.  To me, May is perfect for Alaska cruising.

• Thanks 1

I'd also go with the 9-day itinerary. The only downside is that flights to Vancouver can be more expensive than those to Seattle. It's also worthwhile to stay a couple of days in Vancouver before or after your cruise or possible to do a side trip to Victoria for a couple of nights.