Some people 70+ should be barred from boarding cruise ships???

RWMike

Good luck. We had a thread and it seems C.C. took it down with the very same subject. I've heard if you are over 70 they want a doctor's note, but different media reports different things as usual., so who knows.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2741121-new-requirement-if-you-or-somebody-you-are-traveling-with-is-70-or-over/

NCL already rolling it out, so it's on the way...………..

Dear Valued Guest,

To help ensure the safety and well-being of all guests and crew worldwide, effective immediately, all guests who are 70 years of age and older must provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form prior to embarkation.

This easy-to-complete form must be signed by a licensed medical professional and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of embarkation or seven days prior to the start of a guest's travels if the guest is traveling for more than seven days before a voyage.

If you are 70 years of age and older, please bring the completed form with you as you will be required to present the form prior to embarkation. Those who do not present the form will be denied boarding and will be issued a future cruise certificate for the value of their cruise.

This update to our health and safety policies is being implemented immediately across our ships that embark or disembark in a U.S. port. While we apologize for any inconvenience, we are taking significant comprehensive preventative measures to maintain the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We greatly appreciate your attention to this very important matter.

Thank you, as always, for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Grandma Petania said:

Anyone know where to get a form to fill out and take to doctor?  Just in case RCCL issues a similar requirement.

I would think we'd need to wait to know exactly what their requirements would be from such a letter. They might require an explicit statement of some sort. I would think that if so, it would say in an advisory on their site if this goes into effect.

If they don't publish specific requirements and they just say something generic like "Those over 70 years of age require a letter of authorizing travel from their doctor", then your doc will probably just type one up. They are quite common for patients with cancer or ambulatory issues when flying so your doctor is probably already familiar with the format. They would probably make it super simple like:

To whom it may concern:

I am the primary care doctor of {passenger}. As of {date}, I believe {passenger} to be medically fit for travel to include commercial cruising and/or airline transportation.

Sincerely,

Dr. Fancy Name M.D.

Edited by efussander
Edited for clarity

Lol I'm 69. I hope not. My gp quit, I have to get a new one and getting a note would be a pain. They would want me in for blood work and all that stuff. Not just a call hey I need a note to a doctor who has never meet me.

Please no. Someone said at what pt would you cancel. ... this. I need a written note from a doctor.

Effective immediately... and has to be signed within a week of going would stress me out.

I was stressed yesterday watching the stock market plummet, and my bp was up when I went to get my teeth cleaned as a for instance. Maybe a doctor wouldnt sign for me. I've had 2 gp doctors quit and have to find a new one. He wouldnt know me. My parents just saw the 3rd gp in as many years. 

It would be added stress to book and hope a doctor will sign within a week of boarding. 

I get why a cruise line would do this to protect themselves. ... but I'd be worried about getting a last minute note signed. I'm already feeling stressed. Please no. 

• Like 1

Try to get a doctor appointment within the next 5 days so you can have that note ready to go.  This is the final "breaking" point. 

We are cancelling our cruise.   Hey,  how about having to show proof that you have had your flu shot and that you have had measles vaccine or have immunity to it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do not know if it is official or even being seriously considered.  I was only saying that where I live it would be difficult to get a doctor appointment,( which might cost $150),  and make sure you get it within 7 days of a cruise.  AND, some doctors would just write a note,but others would perhaps require blood work or other tests before they said you were fit to travel.  As a 70+ person with many cruises, I would probably say there are other things I can do with my money.   But, seriously, the flu is dangerous also.  So why not have to show proof of a flu vaccination before you board?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I don't think Royal has officially started this policy yet.  That said from the articles I have read Adam Goldstein was one of those that proposed it so I imagine it will be coming shortly

We are cruising (hopefully) in the next few days. Time will be running out for me to get to the doctor. 

m

Ugh- if the cruising companies do put this in place, I hope they remove it when things get better.  My mom (74) is in pretty good health, and has her first cruise (a 14 day panama canal one) this fall.  Getting this paperwork will be one more thing to worry about.  Sigh.

I'm 75! I'm so glad I don't have a cruise planner until December when hopefully this whole situation will be over or at least sorted out.

There is so much uncertainty. I think I'm going to take a vacation from all cruise related forums for awhile😊

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nextcruiseis said:

Attached is the NCL version of the form. Date of implementation has not been confirmed.

Certificate-of-Medical-Fitness-to-Travel-form.pdf 103.54 kB · 7 downloads

That form is going to rule out a lot of people.  If they are requiring people to be "free of any severe or chronic illness such as pulmonary and/or respiratory ailments" does that mean all the asthmatics over 70 out there aren't going to be able to cruise?  Are they going to limit asthmatics under 70?

• Like 1

Idk bit fox business news said about 30 minutes ago ncl was suspending operations thru may. Havent confirmed. 

This letter would make me mad. Not everyone over 70 is ill.. add in having to get to a doctor. I wouldnt do it.

We had a long time doctor, moved, we got another gp, he quit, got another, saw him once, quit, I think the next one quit. My parents on their 6 month check up see a different doctor every time. I skipped my check up.

Anyone I saw doesnt know me, getting a letter within a week of boarding, .. just took much added stress. 

I'm not booking more cruises. Have the one in about 90 days, april 26 I still plan on going. Out of Galveston which I feel is somewhat safer than the coasts.

7 hours ago, nextcruiseis said:

Attached is the NCL version of the form. Date of implementation has not been confirmed.

Certificate-of-Medical-Fitness-to-Travel-form.pdf 103.54 kB · 24 downloads

Showed this to both our daughter and her sister (both are MD's) and both of them stated in no uncertain terms that they would not sign one if it was presented to them because of the vicarious liability they would place on their practices. So, good luck getting a MD to sign one.

• Like 2

So, as someone said, there are people who have health problems that are under 70.  Do these people need to bring a Dr. note.  How about the young kids, do they need a Dr. note?  Next, everyone will need a Dr. note to board.  Gee, I feel like I am back in school and need to be sent to the principals office because I was bad.  If we had a cruise booked, well we do but not until Sept. 4, I would board the airplane because we have to fly across the country and get on that ship.  I feel sorry for the people working on all these ships everyone wants to have sit empty for 30-60 days.  Think about how it will affect them and their families.  Most people will just go back to work instead of vacation but the worker bees are without a job, or do you expect RCCL to pay everyone while the ships sit empty.  Someone said we were only thinking of ourselves if we still went on a cruise but maybe they were thinking about the people who get the extra tips for the good services they provide. 

• Like 1