Europe US travel ban announced

az_tchr

1 minute ago, pethi said:

All persons older than 12 years have an ID card here in Belgium and you have to carry it with you all the time. I also use it e.g. at the pharmacy and the library...

ID card is enough to travel in Europe and so far also the UK. Might change with the Brexit but it's for as far I know not yet the case...

You just beat me to posting the same. EU citizens can enter UK with ID card and yes, this is separate from passport.

However, there is a very valid argument that virus spread can be slowed to applying ban to Schengen group of countries for reasons already mentioned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Wow, I never knew EU citizens could travel to UK just with ID card

Yes, for now.  It is compulsory here in the Netherlands for all adults to carry a form of identity at all times.  But obviously if transiting through UK to say, US  an international passport is required. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

Trump has selected Schengen countries because of the freedom of borders. UK was never a part of that. 

Yes, it’s the free movement element that is significant here. At least at UK border control you have to show a passport, so countries that you have visited previously can be seen.

Tongue in cheek comment from my husband:

” Trump won’t be able to play golf at Turnberry, if he limits flights to Scotland.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

UK is no longer part of Europe. Plus, it is handling the testing and outbreak far better than the European countries. If anything, UK might look at blocking US! Kidding, but I think the UK is on top of things.  Of course they will get cases.

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

UK is no longer part of Europe. Plus, it is handling the testing and outbreak far better than the European countries. If anything, UK might look at blocking US! Kidding, but I think the UK is on top of things.  Of course they will get cases.

The UK is in Europe but we are not in the EU 

2 hours ago, cruise47 said:

Why no travel ban from Asia and especially China, Japan and South Korea since China is where the Coronavirus originated from?

It's already in place

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Ffrom-china.html

2 hours ago, kr00t0n said:

Cute that some people think the UK is on top of this.... said as a Londoner watching the most inept goverment in living memory shirk all responsibility on this matter. Really glad that my elderly parents live in another country with almost zero chance of encountering this virus.

Perhaps Jeremy would have nationalised it😂

10 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

I wonder why the UK was excluded. 

I suspect that when we start testing more people here in the US, our stats will be just as bad or worse than many countries in Europe.  

No longer part of the EU.

4 minutes ago, pauly said:

No longer part of the EU.

No.

The reason is we are not a member or have ever been part of the Schengen Area. 

We don't have open borders with the rest of the EU (and a few extra countries in the Schengen Area)

Even during our EU memebership we did not have open borders.

Edited by Mrwiggles
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Yes, it’s the free movement element that is significant here. At least at UK border control you have to show a passport, so countries that you have visited previously can be seen.

However when was the last time any European country stamped your passport 🤷‍♀️.

I don’t think I have any European stamps in mine despite probably having visited over half a dozen countries!

11 hours ago, julia said:

Mr. Trump is implementing this air travel ban for 30 days, beginning on Friday, March 13th.  It does not include the UK.  His reasoning is that Europe did not act quickly enough (in the initial stages of this virus) to close travel with China.  

*** Do NOT turn this into a political debate***

Yes, it seems that Italy is the main problem in Europe.  Agree on politics, this matter goes way beyond politics.

I think Trump acted quickly banning travel from China, but clearly there was a problem with not enough test kits.  That seems to be no longer a problem.  Hope the virus slows down with warmer weather coming in North America.

17 minutes ago, downsmead said:

I don’t think I have any European stamps in mine despite probably having visited over half a dozen countries!

Every time we visit Europe (the EU) we get stamps in our passports.  We don't get stamps in every country, of course, just the entry and exit.

11 hours ago, julia said:

Mr. Trump is implementing this air travel ban for 30 days, beginning on Friday, March 13th.  It does not include the UK.  His reasoning is that Europe did not act quickly enough (in the initial stages of this virus) to close travel with China.  

*** Do NOT turn this into a political debate***

Your comment made it political.

Read that the stated reason was that too many Chinese coming into Europe who then, in his perspective, caused the virus to spread in European centers.  No coordination with the EU or European countries.  Unilateral edicts like this have no place in a global pandemic.  Additionally, WHO has stated this type of policy only exacerbates the problem of responding to the virus.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, downsmead said:

As an American you get "stamped" in and out of Schengen which includes 26 countries.  

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

16 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Every time we visit Europe (the EU) we get stamps in our passports.  We don't get stamps in every country, of course, just the entry and exit.

Because you are from the US.  The person you responded to was from the UK and was referring to UK travelers going in/out of the Schengen zone.

So as @Scouser Sue noted this affects the countries in the Schengen ‘passport-free zone’. I thought it might be useful to list them for folks;

According to the US Department for Homeland Security (DHS) and the president’s proclamation, the ban applies to the countries belonging to the 26-member Schengen passport-free zone. These are:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

As non-members of Schengen, Britain and Ireland are not covered by the ban.

Next month, April, will say a lot about X as to their plans for European cruising. Should TA sailings be cancelled, whether for the short or the long term, then all subsequent EU cruising dates will obviously be affected. As mentioned in post #39, in so many words, will cruise companies abandon sending their ships to Europe? A big tell right there. Considering the current overall circumstances, I think that April ocean-crossings will not happen. With what is known now, there are still too many unknowns making it a prudent decision not to go.   

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

I have an entry and exit stamp for every time I visited Schengen countries. That data is in my passport. When I visit Canada or Mexico almost never stamped, but data is in the computers. My ID travel card records travel electronically when I drive across. I usually don't even stop.

24 minutes ago, pethi said:

TA sailings with no passengers might be a solution so that the EU cruising season won"t be affected that much...

Ok. Let's try your scenario. But maybe those from the UK and EU that want to go home cruise. The problem is now what. Let's use Shilouette.

First cruise is to France, Portugal and Spain. Will there be any open ports?

Second cruise is to Norway where docking ports are all closed.

Cannot imagine what would turn into a boat ride would be very interesting.

12 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Big question - what does Mexico and Canada do?  Will we shut our borders to many?

9 hours ago, az_tchr said:

I still wonder what will happen with Mexico and Canada border crossings.

As of yesterday:

US: 696 cases, 25 deaths

Canada: 93 cases, 1 death

Mexico: 7 cases, 0 deaths

Given the huge amount of trade across these borders that benefits all three countries, I'd be very surprised to see the US taking any action. Given the far higher incidence of confirmed cases and deaths in the US, it would result in a blow to the economy with little if anything to be gained from a medical perspective. 

10 hours ago, DebbieMacG said:

The UK is part of Europe😳it’s just not a member of the European Union, a very different thing, geographically it’s not changed.

In both Great Britain and Ireland, the Continent is widely and generally used to refer to the mainland of Europe. ... In addition, the word Europe itself is also regularly used to mean Europe excluding the islands of Great Britain, Iceland, and Ireland .

My question is will Schengen residents be banned entry if they attempt to enter through Canada or Mexico. Those countries as of today have no Schengen ban.

Does the US have access to electronic travel data from ALL Schengen countries?  Am guessing as others have said passports not always stamped.  Mexico procedures not consistent by My observations.

Would posters kindly cease the Geography battle. It has nothing to do with cruising and adds nothing to giving information about travel. I and it seems others know countries effected by the ban. It is complicated by having no idea where a poster lives.

Edited by az_tchr
Geography discussion

30 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

My question is will Schengen residents be banned entry if they attempt to enter through Canada or Mexico. Those countries as of today have no Schengen ban.

Does the US have access to electronic travel data from ALL Schengen countries?  Am guessing as others have said passports not always stamped.  Mexico procedures not consistent by My observations.

Would posters kindly cease the Geography battle. It has nothing to do with cruising and adds nothing to giving information about travel. I and it seems others know countries effected by the ban. It is complicated by having no idea where a poster lives.

The ban is on entry to the US, not on direct flights to the US. So someone travelling on a French passport arriving in Mexico or Canada and then attempting to fly or drive or sail into the US would be denied entry by the US CBP.

Edited by Fouremco