Viking suspends all operations from March 12-April 30

DrJJ

We transfered hours before Viking upped their offer. We made our decision based on the situation at that moment and will be receiving 100% toward next year's cruise. If anyone outside the current offer parameters expects exceptions to their offer, at what point sho in ld Viking stop? A day, a week, maybe even a month... We all need to be reasonable in our expectations - Viking lead the industry and I appreciate their vision, respecting their guests but at the same time balancing that with a long term profitable vision for the company. If we demand the moon, Viking goes out of business. We fully expected to have to deal with penalties from other vendors. However, every airline and hotel has offered to cancel or rebook without penalty. So the 100% covers us. And the two year leeway is much better than other lines. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I really do not think a customer is "demanding the moon" if a company cancels a cruise and treats customers differently based on the time the customer cancelled vs when the company canceled - all due to COVID-19.

I would argue fairness dictates otherwise.

What's the old adage Heads Viking Wins, Tails I lose.

And in my case rebooking a Viking cruise could cost more due to higher cost of replacement cruise.  If this turns out to be the case I will take the money and run.

• Like 1

@mnjack - sorry to hear that.  I would think that a voucher's face value is not the same (less) as its accounting cash value to Viking.  And as a result they'd be a bit more flexible and customer friendly.    And I would also  to Viking cutting a check for cash refund is more painful than issuing a future paper credit with a certain face value (with whatever "value" they attach to that for their accounting.)

But what do I know about that - obviously - zip! 

Because of the current conditions I recently canceled a Viking Cruise 85 days before it was due to depart.   According to the Terms & Conditions that I agreed to when I booked this cruise over a year ago, I should have only gotten 65% of my fare back.   Viking gave me a voucher for 100% of my fare because of COVID-19.   Based on the Terms & Conditions that my purchase was made under, they didn't need to do this.   I believe they were more that fair with me.   

The cruise that I was booked on is still over 60 days away.   It was my decision to cancel because we felt uncomfortable traveling in today's environment, so we made the decision to cancel.   For the folks that are still booked, if Viking cancels this cruise that they are prepared  to go on and they get a 125% voucher and we don't get the additional 25%, I will still think that we were treated more than fair.  

• Like 5

If I was to want to get 100% of my cruise fare for my upcoming Russia and Baltic cruise for July 17th, I would need to cancel today.  However, I don't have a fully refundable airfare in business class from Delta.  So, while I am nervous that Viking and/or Delta may not survive this crisis, I feel my only option will be to wait until Viking or Delta cancels and offers credits.  

I don't think that my insurance will cover a pandemic either unless Delta or Viking cancels. 

So, my only move seems to be that I should wait it out.  Unless anyone has any better advice?

26 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

If I was to want to get 100% of my cruise fare for my upcoming Russia and Baltic cruise for July 17th, I would need to cancel today.  However, I don't have a fully refundable airfare in business class from Delta.  So, while I am nervous that Viking and/or Delta may not survive this crisis, I feel my only option will be to wait until Viking or Delta cancels and offers credits.  

I don't think that my insurance will cover a pandemic either unless Delta or Viking cancels. 

So, my only move seems to be that I should wait it out.  Unless anyone has any better advice?

We are in a similar situation for our September cruise from Venice. I have until May 20th to cancel for full refund but my American Airlines tickets are non refundable. Insurance will ONLY pay if  AA cancels service to Venice and/or Viking cancels the cruise. AA will lets us rebook for no fees but we have to rebook on a flight departing within a year after the date we purchased the tickets, in our case by Nov 19, 2020.  Our insurance will cover us if either AA or VO goes out of business but still we are in a wait and see situation for the next two months.

Good luck on your situation.

Like I said, the Viking credits are assuming Viking survives.  I would have preferred to get my cash back and wait for some news that they were going to survive.  So between the high end suite and airfare I have about $25K at risk on this.  I am risk adverse.  With any luck we will come out ahead, but who knows.  

30 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We are in a similar situation for our September cruise from Venice. I have until May 20th to cancel for full refund but my American Airlines tickets are non refundable. Insurance will ONLY pay if  AA cancels service to Venice and/or Viking cancels the cruise. AA will lets us rebook for no fees but we have to rebook on a flight departing within a year after the date we purchased the tickets, in our case by Nov 19, 2020.  Our insurance will cover us if either AA or VO goes out of business but still we are in a wait and see situation for the next two months.

Good luck on your situation.

How the hell can AA still have valid flights to Venice when the entire country is locked down and in no certain terms a state of meltdown?  We had flights to Malta booked for the end of this month via Amsterdam and the last leg to Malta was cancelled by the airline despite the country having nowhere near the same issues as Italy.

The likelihood that Italy will be back to 'normal' come May 20th is highly unlikely but I suppose AA and other airlines are just waiting for Uncle Trump to hand out big dollars and/or hoping that you and others cancel on your own so they can just offer non-transferable credits.

8 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

Like I said, the Viking credits are assuming Viking survives.  I would have preferred to get my cash back and wait for some news that they were going to survive.  So between the high end suite and airfare I have about $25K at risk on this.  I am risk adverse.  With any luck we will come out ahead, but who knows.  

Good luck! I for one book the cheapest rooms and take advantage of Viking Air (which is good for me as I live near Newark airport and air to Europe is less challenging). I fully understand where you’re at now.

20 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

How the hell can AA still have valid flights to Venice when the entire country is locked down and in no certain terms a state of meltdown?  We had flights to Malta booked for the end of this month via Amsterdam and the last leg to Malta was cancelled by the airline despite the country having nowhere near the same issues as Italy.

The likelihood that Italy will be back to 'normal' come May 20th is highly unlikely but I suppose AA and other airlines are just waiting for Uncle Trump to hand out big dollars and/or hoping that you and others cancel on your own so they can just offer non-transferable credits.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, our cruise isn't until September 21, but we have until May 20th (120 days out) to get a full cash refund from Viking if we cancel. In that case we lose our AA tickets cost as it would not be covered by insurance. If we wait and Viking and/or AA cancels flights and cruise from Venice before Sept 21 we would get cash for the cruise and AA tickets.. I know this will not all be settled by May 20th but it has a better chance by September, I hope.

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, our cruise isn't until September 21, but we have until May 20th (120 days out) to get a full cash refund from Viking if we cancel. In that case we lose our AA tickets cost as it would not be covered by insurance. If we wait and Viking and/or AA cancels flights and cruise from Venice before Sept 21 we would get cash for the cruise and AA tickets.. I know this will not all be settled by May 20th but it has a better chance by September, I hope.

Gotcha!  Still hard to believe with the trend as it is that Italy will be recovered come September....hope they do, but they're getting decimated right now with no signs of improvement, and the myth that warmer weather will somehow be the cure is hard to believe given how hot/humid countries in SE Asia haven't been immune from getting it

We too are waiting on 2 flights one to London(june) and one to China (october) on Delta that we booked on our own. Waiting..it will be hard to use that much $$$ with Delta in one years time if we can not cruise.  Maybe we will go to Hawaii?  any other ideas?  another Safari?

7 hours ago, deec said:

We too are waiting on 2 flights one to London(june) and one to China (october) on Delta that we booked on our own. Waiting..it will be hard to use that much $$$ with Delta in one years time if we can not cruise.  Maybe we will go to Hawaii?  any other ideas?  another Safari?

Dee - we have decided to do the same thing (as we are on the same June 27 Midnight Sun cruise).  We are resigned to the fact that we will totally lose our money (business class) to London from SFO, but one never knows - perhaps the airlines will just cancel outright.  Last check with a US Airline was that they would give you 6 months to book/fly with them from the date of cancelling your flight with them.  I understand their objective, but that won't fly (pardon the pun!).

I am quite confident that the June 27 cruise will not be going, but we hope we get the 125% credit on Viking.

We also have the cruise in October from Rome/Italy.  I am now thinking that likely will not go either, and if it even does, there won't be much to see.   So that one will probably be cancelled as well, with yet another loss in airline dollars.    I think we'll just reconcile that 2020 is written off and hope for the best next year!  Cheers!

Edited by CCWineLover

On 3/19/2020 at 8:45 PM, deec said:

and I feel selfish when I worry about travel and the $$$$ we will be loosing when others are loosing loved ones and their jobs!!

Me too @deec  

But one of the best things we can do is stick it out and take the credit and hope to be on the cruises we booked soon. So many jobs depend on it. Meanwhile I’m ordering take out and delivery from my favorite restaurants, especially the Mom and Pops, and I leave large tips. I even venmoed my hair stylist a COVID19 bonus, it’s going to be hard on those folks too. 

My husband works in sales for a manufacturing company and has been working to line up customer orders from companies that are “essential”, food, drugs, military... so they can keep the plant open for those who can work. Which of course carries its own risks...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Me too @deec  

But one of the best things we can do is stick it out and take the credit and hope to be on the cruises we booked soon. So many jobs depend on it. Meanwhile I’m ordering take out and delivery from my favorite restaurants, especially the Mom and Pops, and I leave large tips. I even venmoed my hair stylist a COVID19 bonus, it’s going to be hard on those folks too. 

My husband works in sales for a manufacturing company and has been working to line up customer orders from companies that are “essential”, food, drugs, military... so they can keep the plant open for those who can work. Which of course carries its own risks...

Liz, Well stated and lots of things we each can do  even from our homes. 

I am doing the same thing. Ordering take out twice a week to keep our local  owned business floating while we live the new normal.  Ordering a fine italian dinner from Luci Ancora  a local cafe in my neighborhood  for tonight 

Ha! I was set for a haircut on Monday  when all hair salons, spas and nail places were closed.

I expect  there will be lots of business for barbers and hair dressers when they eventually open  again.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Liz, Well stated and lots of things we each can do  even from our homes. 

I am doing the same thing. Ordering take out twice a week to keep our local  owned business floating while we live the new normal.  Ordering a fine italian dinner from Luci Ancora  a local cafe in my neighborhood  for tonight 

Ha! I was set for a haircut on Monday  when all hair salons, spas and nail places were closed.

I expect  there will be lots of business for barbers and hair dressers when they eventually open  again.

If they are still in business. Lady I know runs her own single person barber shop and pays rent week to week for her small box. if they don’t cut her a break on rent I’m sure she’ll have to close up. 

On 3/21/2020 at 9:25 AM, flashfearless said:

If they are still in business. Lady I know runs her own single person barber shop and pays rent week to week for her small box. if they don’t cut her a break on rent I’m sure she’ll have to close up. 

I'm in the same situation in a salon and I do some freelance work with a theater, that too seems to be shaky ground.  I may have made my last cruise but I'm sticking with this to "keep my toes in the water".

Curious.  The VIking updates on current sailings mentions a voucher equal to 125% of all monies paid to Viking.  I wonder if you do things like buy air through Viking and pay for it, buy excursions through Viking and pay for them, prepay gratuities, and even buy trip insurance through Viking if these are included in the 125% voucher calculation.  I could understand a position that only the cruise fare is actually paid to Viking but perhaps they are all included. The other items are collected by VIking and paid to other entities.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience in this area?

2 hours ago, dwlmg said:

Curious.  The VIking updates on current sailings mentions a voucher equal to 125% of all monies paid to Viking.  I wonder if you do things like buy air through Viking and pay for it, buy excursions through Viking and pay for them, prepay gratuities, and even buy trip insurance through Viking if these are included in the 125% voucher calculation.  I could understand a position that only the cruise fare is actually paid to Viking but perhaps they are all included. The other items are collected by VIking and paid to other entities.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience in this area?

The way I read it is all monies paid to Viking. But I imagine we need someone who has actually received a FCC to verify.

4 hours ago, dwlmg said:

The vouchers will cover cruise and air fare.

Prepaid items such as shorex and gratuities should be refunded to the credit card they were purchased on for the same amount as you paid.

As for any travel insurance paid, I can't tell you how that ill be handled or if will be transferable to another trip.