Vancouver port

picture

5 minutes ago, picture said:

I read were some of the ports are not allowing ships to dock with the Alaskan cruise season coming what’s the latest news on Victoria and Vancouver allowing cruise ships to dock?

Here is the current new article (as of yesterday) .....  https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03/10/no-plans-to-block-cruise-ships-vancouver/

However like everything with this virus things can change quickly.  

Canada doesn't have any travel bans - even from/to the epicenter in China.  Just advisories.  Not sure if that is a smart thing.  They advise Canadians not to go on a cruise, but are not banning ships from Canadian ports.  There is no ban to Italy, although Italy is closed.

34 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Canada doesn't have any travel bans - even from/to the epicenter in China.  Just advisories.  Not sure if that is a smart thing.  They advise Canadians not to go on a cruise, but are not banning ships from Canadian ports.  There is no ban to Italy, although Italy is closed.

They'll just do what everyone else is doing, including the States. Refuse to disembark the ship until suspects have been tested.

Hot off the press...

"Provincial health authorities in B.C. are recommending against all non-essential travel outside of Canada, including across the border to the United States, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Anyone who does choose to travel or who is currently abroad and returning in the days ahead should self-isolate for 14 days, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said Thursday. She is also calling for the cancellation of gatherings of more than 250 people..."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coronavirus-update-bc-what-you-need-to-know-1.5494135

The Government of Canada has just announced that any cruise ships with capacity over 500 (including passengers and crew) will not be allowed to stop at Canadian ports from now through to the beginning of July, 2020.

1 minute ago, Italy52 said:

So, does mean that there will be no cruises leaving from Vancouver ---- we have a 14-day round trip planned for May 20, 2020.  If so, I guess I will be hearing from Princess pretty soon.

This will impact the all Alaska cruises until July as ships leaving from US cities uses port calls in Canada as their required "foreign" stop on the itinerary.  

Edited by dns65

8 minutes ago, dns65 said:

This will impact the all Alaska cruises until July as ships leaving from US cities uses port calls in Canada as their required "foreign" stop on the itinerary.  

Thanks.  I hope that Princess contacts us ASAP as there are lots of cancellations to be made.

38 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

So, does mean that there will be no cruises leaving from Vancouver ---- we have a 14-day round trip planned for May 20, 2020.  If so, I guess I will be hearing from Princess pretty soon.

Princess has cancelled their cruises for the time being so you might not have been going anyway.

33 minutes ago, cruiseryyc said:

Princess has cancelled their cruises for the time being so you might not have been going anyway.

Princess only canceled for 60 days. Our cruise from Vancouver was supposed to leave 4 days after that window. I expect we will be canceled soon...

So instead of cruising, adjust your ticket and fly into Anchorage then rent a car or RV and drive around Alaska for  a week or 2 !!!

And you'll see much more of Alaska !  To get your sea fix you can take day cruises out of Seward or Whittier,  and as a bonus you'll also see more of the inland scenery and wildlife.  

Or fly into Juneau or Gustavus and stay at Glacier Bay for a few days.  The GB day cruise is wonderful. You can stay at the GB Lodge or other accomodations around Gustavus. 

Use the ferry system to visit another small community on the inside passage.

Think outside the box;  there are other opportunities to explore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

So instead of cruising, adjust your ticket and fly into Anchorage then rent a car or RV and drive around Alaska for  a week or 2 !!!

And you'll see much more of Alaska !  To get your sea fix you can take day cruises out of Seward or Whittier,  and as a bonus you'll also see more of the inland scenery and wildlife.  

Or fly into Juneau or Gustavus and stay at Glacier Bay for a few days.  The GB day cruise is wonderful. You can stay at the GB Lodge or other accomodations around Gustavus. 

Use the ferry system to visit another small community on the inside passage.

Think outside the box;  there are other opportunities to explore.

+1 on this response.  A trip such as you describe has always been a better way to see AK anytime.  I especially like your suggestion that people take the ferries instead of a cruise ship.  A  much better experience and the ferries need your money as they are being starved by the state government.  

BTW - I have not read anything recently about how the funding crisis is being handled with the state educational system - especially the university system.  What is happening there?

DON