Jump to content

How long until Cunard cancels the order for the 4th ship?


Recommended Posts

Hi, 

 

I've been thinking the same thing. We may never know the name that was planned for the fourth ship. I have a feeling this ship will be cancelled or transferred to Holland America.

Edited by seacruise9
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

 

I've been thinking the same thing. We may never know the name that was planned for the fourth ship. I have a feeling this ship will be cancelled or transferred to Holland America.


HAL already have a 3rd Pinnacle Class on order too,  the Ryndam - Same type as the new Cunarder 

The Cunard build is not that advanced yet at the yard AFAIK  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems like a bit of an overreaction? The worst of this could be over by the end of the year, or it might not, but to change plans before they know the situation doesn't sound like a sound business decision... and unless I'm missing something HAL will be just as affected by any collapse in bookings as Cunard? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

 

The Ryndam is scheduled to enter service in May 2021. The new Cunard ship is not scheduled to enter service until 2022. If the new Cunard ship is not cancelled, it conceivably could be added as another Pinnacle Class ship for Holland America.  Holland America is a larger and stronger brand than Cunard.

Edited by seacruise9
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

 

The Ryndam is scheduled to enter service in May 2021. The new Cunard ship is not scheduled to enter service until 2022. If the new Cunard ship is not cancelled, it conceivably could be added as another Pinnacle Class ship for Holland America.  Holland America is a larger and stronger brand than Cunard.

 

Which would open up the opportunity for building a Cunarder that actually looks like a ship and not like a shopping cart. Also it would spare us from that rather ghastly name "Queen Anne".

 

But then, I am probably the only person in the world to choose the ships I travel on by judging the quality of the naval architecture.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Fastnet said:

 

Which would open up the opportunity for building a Cunarder that actually looks like a ship and not like a shopping cart. Also it would spare us from that rather ghastly name "Queen Anne".

 

But then, I am probably the only person in the world to choose the ships I travel on by judging the quality of the naval architecture.

 

 

>>But then, I am probably the only person in the world to choose the ships I travel on by judging the quality of the naval architecture.<<

 

No, you're not. :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

 

I also care about the appearance of ships and quality of naval architecture. Unfortunately, the exterior of most of the new ships is very unattractive. I sincerely hope that Cunard survives this crisis. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

 

I also care about the appearance of ships and quality of naval architecture. Unfortunately, the exterior of most of the new ships is very unattractive. I sincerely hope that Cunard survives this crisis. 

Hi

As one who regularly and often uses the promenade decks on the various Cunard ships I will NEVER sail on the new ship if she does not have a usable promenade deck.

Deck Chair

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deck chair said:

Hi

As one who regularly and often uses the promenade decks on the various Cunard ships I will NEVER sail on the new ship if she does not have a usable promenade deck.

Deck Chair

 

Based on my experience on Koningsdam, I can say that it's usable for walking, but barely. It's narrow in places and there are a lot of turns to make so it isn't a pleasant stroll. No deck chairs, just some lifejacket lockers you can sit on. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

' that rather ghastly name "Queen Anne". '

 

With all respect for everybody's opinion, and not really wanting to return to the old name topic, I don't believe there could ever be a better name for the new Cunarder.

 

Queen Anne, under the Acts of Union, first Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

 

A sense of unity,  a message from a company celebrating and promoting Britishness.

 

A name definitely worth of a Cunarder.

 

Just my two cents' words :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, Fastnet said:

 

...

 

But then, I am probably the only person in the world to choose the ships I travel on by judging the quality of the naval architecture.

 

 

No- you certainly are not.  While I do not always choose QM2 , or many of the smaller lines which offer ships which look like ships, I will not sail on the sea-going circus wagons of NCL or shopping malls of RCCL - (of course, not solely because of their appearance - they provide many other reasons for abstinence).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RobertGraves said:

' that rather ghastly name "Queen Anne". '

 

With all respect for everybody's opinion, and not really wanting to return to the old name topic, I don't believe there could ever be a better name for the new Cunarder.

 

Queen Anne, under the Acts of Union, first Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

 

A sense of unity,  a message from a company celebrating and promoting Britishness.

 

A name definitely worth of a Cunarder.

 

Just my two cents' words 🙂

 

Well, if you want pure Britishness you should choose P&O, Cunard is a rather international line. I just think that naming ships after historical figures is not a particularly good idea as this can spark controversy. I prefer the traditional naming scheme like "Berengaria", "Carpathia" or "Mauretania" - but I am perfectly aware that these names won't return.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Fastnet said:

 

Well, if you want pure Britishness you should choose P&O, Cunard is a rather international line. I just think that naming ships after historical figures is not a particularly good idea as this can spark controversy. I prefer the traditional naming scheme like "Berengaria", "Carpathia" or "Mauretania" - but I am perfectly aware that these names won't return.

 

 

Berengaria is most definitely named after a historical figure (and a Queen at that!) 

 

I don't know I would call Cunard a particularly international line, either. Outside of Transatlantics and one or two Caribbean cruises (and more recently Alaska) they're almost non existent in North America (Holland America largely occupy their market position within the carnival group). Cunard has quite a tiny mindshare outside of Britain, though like P&O it sounds like they want to establish themselves in Australian cruising. That ship has long since sailed for North America and Europe. It is true they attract a reasonably international clientele, but they are definitely a British-centric brand, the vast majority of their cruises start and end in Southampton. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SilverHengroen said:

Berengaria is most definitely named after a historical figure (and a Queen at that!) 

 

I don't know I would call Cunard a particularly international line, either. Outside of Transatlantics and one or two Caribbean cruises (and more recently Alaska) they're almost non existent in North America (Holland America largely occupy their market position within the carnival group). Cunard has quite a tiny mindshare outside of Britain, though like P&O it sounds like they want to establish themselves in Australian cruising. That ship has long since sailed for North America and Europe. It is true they attract a reasonably international clientele, but they are definitely a British-centric brand, the vast majority of their cruises start and end in Southampton. 

Yes, Berengaria (of Navarre) was Richard I’s Queen, but it is unlikely that she ever visited England.   For a REAL historical British queen’s name  you can not do better then Boadecea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

For a REAL historical British queen’s name  you can not do better then Boadecea.

 

Nice observation. However, the name is already occupied (as Boudicca, by Fred. Olsen).

 

Moreover, it would suit much better to a warship.

 

Let alone that, heroic and proud as Boadicea was, unfortunately she is commonly more associated with the atrocities commited by her followers, especially to captured Roman ladies, as Tacitus and Cassius Dio report. Things rather far from the civilized tradition that Cunard is proud of...

 

Edited by RobertGraves
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SilverHengroen said:

Berengaria is most definitely named after a historical figure (and a Queen at that!) 

 

I don't know I would call Cunard a particularly international line, either. Outside of Transatlantics and one or two Caribbean cruises (and more recently Alaska) they're almost non existent in North America (Holland America largely occupy their market position within the carnival group). Cunard has quite a tiny mindshare outside of Britain, though like P&O it sounds like they want to establish themselves in Australian cruising. That ship has long since sailed for North America and Europe. It is true they attract a reasonably international clientele, but they are definitely a British-centric brand, the vast majority of their cruises start and end in Southampton. 

 

I agree. And even promoting itself to its international clientele, I would say Cunard considers its British identity an asset and presents itself clearly as British. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RobertGraves said:

 

Nice observation. However, the name is already occupied (as Boudicca, by Fred. Olsen).

 

Moreover, it would suit much better to a warship.

 

Let alone that, heroic and proud as Boadicea was, unfortunately she is commonly more associated with the atrocities commited by her followers, especially to captured Roman ladies, as Tacitus and Cassius Dio report. Things rather far from the civilized tradition that Cunard is proud of...

 

Of course, if First Century grudges against Boadicea are to be maintained, don’t you think that fat, stupid Queen Anne’s more recent implementation of the Irish penal laws be similarly held against her?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, navybankerteacher said:

Of course, if First Century grudges against Boadicea are to be maintained, don’t you think that fat, stupid Queen Anne’s more recent implementation of the Irish penal laws be similarly held against her?

 

My remark was (not without a humorous tone) to ancient 'brutal' connotations that don't suit Cunard's civilized tradition. Not a call to historical estimations.

 

And I believe no discriminations should be made to fat people, by the way.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2020 at 6:58 AM, Fastnet said:

 

Well, if you want pure Britishness you should choose P&O, Cunard is a rather international line. I just think that naming ships after historical figures is not a particularly good idea as this can spark controversy. I prefer the traditional naming scheme like "Berengaria", "Carpathia" or "Mauretania" - but I am perfectly aware that these names won't return.

 

 

 

Cunard has registered the following names: Queen Anne, King James, Aquitania and Mauritania. There's another but I cannot recall right now.

 

Id wager we are looking at Maretania (3) or Aquitania (2). If so, it's highly likely we will see a fifth ship announced soon after the naming so there would be a pairing.

 

If only one ship planned, then it makes sense to go for Queen Anne.  

 

But right now, all that is low priority is imagine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ray66 said:

Someone has already posted on  here  think more in the region of Cunard Countess.

 

 

I can't really think of a suitable active Earldom, but if we're dropping down the nobility scale, while keeping with the Royal Family ties, perhaps MS Duchess of Cambridge? 🤔 Quite a mouthful, though! 

Edited by SilverHengroen
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...