Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Tigerlily75

Princess halts global operations for 60 days

Recommended Posts

Wow that's huge. I feel very sorry for all the crew who won't be being paid 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viking has suspended all ocean and river cruises until May.

 

Branson has postponed his Virgin boat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, lissie said:

Wow that's huge. I feel very sorry for all the crew who won't be being paid 

 

Who says they won't be paid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boeckli said:

 

Who says they won't be paid?

This  ships are all flags of convenience - I'm sure the officers will get paid - but I very much doubt the cleaners and waiters - who rely on tips anyways will get  much from the employer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to think that people were worrying about the butter and chairs being taken away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No cruises until 10 May and Sea Princess is scheduled to leave on her Worldie on 12 May, tight call. Good luck to all booked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Wonder where they will park them all ?

 

All over the world I reckon, time for them to deep clean anyway.  They might keep their bridgecams on.

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lissie said:

This  ships are all flags of convenience - I'm sure the officers will get paid - but I very much doubt the cleaners and waiters - who rely on tips anyways will get  much from the employer 

Crew on the Australian based ships are on a contracted remuneration, like employees in jobs in the general community. Those on Princess ships in other parts of the world, receive a guaranteed amount of remuneration, most coming from the tips pool.

 

We don't know whether their contracts allow for early termination in the present circumstances. Princess may fly some of them home and pay out their contracts. Others might remain on board to carry out deep cleaning and even basic maintenance.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some crew  may also select to take their holidays which would also be covered in their contracts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Some crew  may also select to take their holidays which would also be covered in their contracts 

Only the officers and the Cruise Director's staff would have holidays as part of their employment contract. Most of the crew are only paid during their contracts. This is the normal practice in the maritime industry as well as the cruise industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One thing I do know is, most of us  wont  have any real idea what the actual truth is and are usually just best guessing 🤔 
One thing I think we might be able to take a guess at - Princess will be trying to do their very best by everyone impacted by this whole sad event: Company, Passengers, Staff and Crew and all the extended affected families if needed. 
My 10c worth 😉 

Edited by Porky55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling in my bones all crew will receive their pay for the 60 days on non operational Princess ships.  Watch for the fares to jump when this is over to pay wages and all the cruise credits, refunds, obc being handed out like lollies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the new and XXXOS sized ships coming through theses days ,experienced and well trained staff is in demand , so I am sure Princess and indeed all lines will do the best they can for the crew .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend is a waiter on Ruby Princess as is her husband. She posted today on bookoffaces:

 

looks like all crew will go home 35,000 imagine a lot

 

I guess she is referring to Princess world-wide crew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have a feeling in my bones all crew will receive their pay for the 60 days on non operational Princess ships.  Watch for the fares to jump when this is over to pay wages and all the cruise credits, refunds, obc being handed out like lollies.

 

Fares aren't going to jump. That only works in a bull market, and with confidence about cruises down - sailing occupancy is already way down, and many in the public are skeptical, there's no grounds to push prices up. If they price high they will continue to be empty, and go out of business. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Wonder where they will park them all ?

 

There a a few in Oz. Park them in Sydney Harbour and get free advertizing.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, By The Bay said:

There a a few in Oz. Park them in Sydney Harbour and get free advertizing.😁

Did somebody say port botany???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NSWP said:

No cruises until 10 May and Sea Princess is scheduled to leave on her Worldie on 12 May, tight call. Good luck to all booked.


Good luck with the World Cruise . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Royal has just announced it has suspended cruising out of the US for 30 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:


Good luck with the World Cruise . 

I can't see how the World Cruise can go ahead. Several countries have closed their ports to cruise ships including Asian ports, Italy and Norway. USA is closed temporarily to visitors from Europe: that would include the WC. Canada is closed to cruise ship visits until 1st July. If this is extended it would prevent the Sea Princess visiting Halifax in late July.

 

I feel the international situation with the spread of the virus and countries restricting visits, is going to get worse before it gets better (I know, a cliche).

Edited by Aus Traveller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree . Not only will there be  a fear of cruising from potential passengers, but also a deep seated suspicion from locals at the ports of call. That suspicion will take a long time to dissipate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I can't see how the World Cruise can go ahead. Several countries have closed their ports to cruise ships including Asian ports, Italy and Norway. USA is closed temporarily to visitors from Europe: that would include the WC. Canada is closed to cruise ship visits until 1st July. If this is extended it would prevent the Sea Princess visiting Halifax in late July.

 

I feel the international situation with the spread of the virus and countries restricting visits, is going to get worse before it gets better (I know, a cliche).

I checked this morning, not that I am going, but the 12 May Worldie is not sold out now.  But no price reductions !!  A lot of CC'ers on here booked on it.  Time will tell if it is a goer or a whoa.🤨

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, banzaii said:

Did somebody say port botany???

Plenty of room at Port Botany for the non operational ships, lets just build a big cruise terminal there, or perhaps Garden Island.🤣

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...