Cruise Critic Community
Tigerlily75

Princess halts global operations for 60 days

Wow that's huge. I feel very sorry for all the crew who won't be being paid 

Viking has suspended all ocean and river cruises until May.

Branson has postponed his Virgin boat.

59 minutes ago, lissie said:

Wow that's huge. I feel very sorry for all the crew who won't be being paid 

Who says they won't be paid?

2 hours ago, boeckli said:

Who says they won't be paid?

This  ships are all flags of convenience - I'm sure the officers will get paid - but I very much doubt the cleaners and waiters - who rely on tips anyways will get  much from the employer 

And to think that people were worrying about the butter and chairs being taken away.

No cruises until 10 May and Sea Princess is scheduled to leave on her Worldie on 12 May, tight call. Good luck to all booked.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Wonder where they will park them all ?

All over the world I reckon, time for them to deep clean anyway.  They might keep their bridgecams on.

Edited by NSWP

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lissie said:

This  ships are all flags of convenience - I'm sure the officers will get paid - but I very much doubt the cleaners and waiters - who rely on tips anyways will get  much from the employer 

Crew on the Australian based ships are on a contracted remuneration, like employees in jobs in the general community. Those on Princess ships in other parts of the world, receive a guaranteed amount of remuneration, most coming from the tips pool.

We don't know whether their contracts allow for early termination in the present circumstances. Princess may fly some of them home and pay out their contracts. Others might remain on board to carry out deep cleaning and even basic maintenance.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Some crew  may also select to take their holidays which would also be covered in their contracts 

11 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Some crew  may also select to take their holidays which would also be covered in their contracts 

Only the officers and the Cruise Director's staff would have holidays as part of their employment contract. Most of the crew are only paid during their contracts. This is the normal practice in the maritime industry as well as the cruise industry.

Posted (edited)

One thing I do know is, most of us  wont  have any real idea what the actual truth is and are usually just best guessing 🤔 
One thing I think we might be able to take a guess at - Princess will be trying to do their very best by everyone impacted by this whole sad event: Company, Passengers, Staff and Crew and all the extended affected families if needed. 
My 10c worth 😉 

Edited by Porky55

I have a feeling in my bones all crew will receive their pay for the 60 days on non operational Princess ships.  Watch for the fares to jump when this is over to pay wages and all the cruise credits, refunds, obc being handed out like lollies.

With all the new and XXXOS sized ships coming through theses days ,experienced and well trained staff is in demand , so I am sure Princess and indeed all lines will do the best they can for the crew .

A friend is a waiter on Ruby Princess as is her husband. She posted today on bookoffaces:

looks like all crew will go home 35,000 imagine a lot

I guess she is referring to Princess world-wide crew

49 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have a feeling in my bones all crew will receive their pay for the 60 days on non operational Princess ships.  Watch for the fares to jump when this is over to pay wages and all the cruise credits, refunds, obc being handed out like lollies.

Fares aren't going to jump. That only works in a bull market, and with confidence about cruises down - sailing occupancy is already way down, and many in the public are skeptical, there's no grounds to push prices up. If they price high they will continue to be empty, and go out of business. 

5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Wonder where they will park them all ?

There a a few in Oz. Park them in Sydney Harbour and get free advertizing.😁

9 hours ago, By The Bay said:

There a a few in Oz. Park them in Sydney Harbour and get free advertizing.😁

Did somebody say port botany???

19 hours ago, NSWP said:

No cruises until 10 May and Sea Princess is scheduled to leave on her Worldie on 12 May, tight call. Good luck to all booked.

Good luck with the World Cruise . 

Royal has just announced it has suspended cruising out of the US for 30 days.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Good luck with the World Cruise . 

I can't see how the World Cruise can go ahead. Several countries have closed their ports to cruise ships including Asian ports, Italy and Norway. USA is closed temporarily to visitors from Europe: that would include the WC. Canada is closed to cruise ship visits until 1st July. If this is extended it would prevent the Sea Princess visiting Halifax in late July.

I feel the international situation with the spread of the virus and countries restricting visits, is going to get worse before it gets better (I know, a cliche).

Edited by Aus Traveller

I agree . Not only will there be  a fear of cruising from potential passengers, but also a deep seated suspicion from locals at the ports of call. That suspicion will take a long time to dissipate.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I can't see how the World Cruise can go ahead. Several countries have closed their ports to cruise ships including Asian ports, Italy and Norway. USA is closed temporarily to visitors from Europe: that would include the WC. Canada is closed to cruise ship visits until 1st July. If this is extended it would prevent the Sea Princess visiting Halifax in late July.

I feel the international situation with the spread of the virus and countries restricting visits, is going to get worse before it gets better (I know, a cliche).

I checked this morning, not that I am going, but the 12 May Worldie is not sold out now.  But no price reductions !!  A lot of CC'ers on here booked on it.  Time will tell if it is a goer or a whoa.🤨

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, banzaii said:

Did somebody say port botany???

Plenty of room at Port Botany for the non operational ships, lets just build a big cruise terminal there, or perhaps Garden Island.🤣

Edited by NSWP