****NON-CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE OPERATION SUSPENSIONS****

RWolver672

I suspect Princess is making an independent decision from other Carnival Corp lines based on their bookings / cancellations and desire to minimize the financial risk. It’s a known cost to tie the ships to the dock for 60 days. The cost is not known to continue sailing with the potential for additional 14-day quarantines along with the negative press and the potential litigation by passengers exposed to the virus. Corporations dislike the unknown, they are better at managing the known hit to the bottom line by suspending ops for 60 days.

• Like 1

Just reading through all of these posting, it dawned on me that most of the places, events, cruise lines, etc that have shut down are all saying the period of their shut down will be until the first of May.  Do they think it will be all over by then?  Will they extend it for another period?  Makes you wonder.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Just reading through all of these posting, it dawned on me that most of the places, events, cruise lines, etc that have shut down are all saying the period of their shut down will be until the first of May.  Do they think it will be all over by then?  Will they extend it for another period?  Makes you wonder.

I'm sure they are hoping they do not have to extend it, but they have to be prepared to extend it. The beginning of May does sound optimistic.

Baseball is cancelling the first 2 weeks of the season. That takes them not even into the middle of April. That sounds even more optimistic and probably unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I'm sure they are hoping they do not have to extend it, but they have to be prepared to extend it. The beginning of May does sound optimistic.

Baseball is cancelling the first 2 weeks of the season. That takes them not even into the middle of April. That sounds even more optimistic and probably unrealistic.

Agree about it being optimistic, likely because the more they cancel, the more they have to refund!

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

They know as much as we do, so everyone has to be patient, they will cancel more as needed!

I find it interesting that a lot of cruise lines have suspended operations, but CCL (other than Princess which has unique circumstances), NCL, Royal and MSC have not.  Obviously, they have the most to lose (revenue stream wise).  Here is an indicator which tells me they will not cease unless driven to.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22568-royal-caribbean-comments-on-liquidity-actions-and-2020-outlook.html

14 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

I agree. But that’s not as easy as it sounds. If I go on a cruise, people might say...you are part of the problem. But if I go on that cruise and then self quarantine after, I’m not part of the problem.

But if I go to the store today and get infected . And then to a restaurant this weekend, and then a store next week, I may have infected several people. But all I did were things most people are going to continue to do going forward.

The best way to keep the burden down on the hospitals is for older folks and people with underlying conditions to only be in public if absolutely necessary. But that’s not going to happen.

Exactly!!

1 minute ago, Jillt92 said:

Found this about Cayman.  If this person came off a ship other passengers are at risk.  Why are we not hearing about this and what cruise line/ ship it is.  

Screenshot_20200313-101322_Facebook.jpg

Because they do not know the answer?

I don’t think Carnival, Royal Caribbean, or Norwegian will ever take the responsibility of being the first of the three to cancel, and will eventually be forced by government to cancel on the same date.  I suspect that details are being negotiated this weekend and that is why Carnival announced last-minute cancellation policies for the extremely narrow period of March 13-16.  My bet is an announcement on Monday.

• Like 3

Take this for what it's worth: I just read on Yahoo News, that POTUS will have a press conference today at 3PM(eastern time, I assume) to announce a 'national emergency'. I don't know if this stops short of declaring a national emergency or not.