Virgin Voyages Postponing Launch until July

NameThatFunnel

The latest from Virgin Voyages

Important Message from Richard Branson and Tom McAlpin on Postponing Scarlet Lady Inaugural Sailing Season:

When we dreamed up Virgin Voyages, we did so with an ambition to create an entirely new way to sail the seven seas. Over the past seven years, our wonderful crew have worked passionately to create a ship and sailor experience for you that is truly spectacular. We know many of you are very excited to sail on Scarlet Lady, and we can tell you after spending time on board, she has captured all of our hearts.

But at this time, much of our attention is focused, rightly, on the current global health crisis. We understand that this is affecting us all in different ways and making many people rethink upcoming cruise plans. We have spent time talking to our team, future Sailors and travel partners as we navigate this challenging moment.

As a brand, Virgin has always championed our customers and, most importantly, listened to them. With those principles in mind and based on your feedback, our team has made the very difficult decision to postpone the Showcase Tour launch and inaugural sailing season for Scarlet Lady until July 15, 2020, with our Maiden Voyage taking place August 7, 2020. The business is well supported and our partnership between the Virgin Group and Bain Capital means that Virgin Voyages can remain focused on the health and safety of our Sailors and Crew.

We want to make this change as convenient and fair as possible. So we are offering a range of options from a full refund and a voyage credit to extra special bonuses if you book a future sailing. The choice is entirely up to our Sailors, as it should be.

For those who would have sailed regardless of the global headlines, we appreciate this will be disappointing news. We are so grateful for your belief in us, and we hope you will join us when the time is right.

We are so excited for the future of Virgin Voyages as an experience for our Sailors and as a business. Scarlet Lady has three sister ships coming and our fleet will be bold and bright with a focused approach to addressing climate change through our commitment to a net zero carbon future.

We want to assure you that we have absolutely no health issues aboard our ship and have elevated protocols in place as we continue to put your well-being first. This is a once in a lifetime launch and a once in a lifetime customer experience, and we will do it together when we can all feel free to enjoy ourselves. To expand on our commitment to fostering the best environment for our Sailors, Virgin Voyages is working with relevant parties to research new technologies that will help to expedite health screenings and make people feel safe. Developments are ongoing and the hope is to identify this opportunity over the course of the next month.

Finally, despite what we are facing, travel will always be a way for us to connect with one another and open ourselves up to new ideas and ways of thinking. So while this isn’t the time for us to meet on the spectacular Scarlet Lady, it will be soon. We can’t wait to see you on board.

Best,

Richard and Tom

Virgin Voyages is committed to making this change to your plans as convenient and fair as possible, and are offering a range of options from a full refund and a voyage credit to bonus offerings for future sailings. 

Additional information below: 

• 200% in Future Voyage Credit which can be applied to another sailing, rather than a refund. This is double the value of a Sailor’s existing booking.
  • Sailors can also receive up to $500 in onboard credit,* if you re-book before June 30, 2020.
  • If a Sailor prefers to get a 100% refund** on a voyage fare for an impacted sailing, Virgin Voyages will issue one plus offer a 25% Future Voyage Credit on the value paid to use for a future booking.
Edited by NameThatFunnel
  • Like 3

As a brand, Virgin has always championed our customers and, most importantly, listened to them. With those principles in mind and based on your feedback, our team has made the very difficult decision to postpone the Showcase Tour launch and inaugural sailing season for Scarlet Lady until July 15, 2020, with our Maiden Voyage taking place August 7, 2020. 

What exactly does that mean?  Our original sailing was August 2nd. We called our TA today and they said nobody can through to Virgin.  I'm assuming that means our cruise is cancelled and we can get a refund.

Edited by creativegenius

9 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

Are you on the maiden voyage or one of the sneak a peeks?  I'm booked on a mid-July cruise and haven't received a notification yet.  I can't wait to try Virgin, but this choice makes a ton of sense to me.

We are booked August 2nd. We have not received anything either.  With the 'maiden voyage' on August 7th that would mean our cruise is canceled. That's actually fine by us because we would prefer to wait until much later this year or 2021 for our next sail.

38 minutes ago, NameThatFunnel said:

The latest from Virgin Voyages

Important Message from Richard Branson and Tom McAlpin on Postponing Scarlet Lady Inaugural Sailing Season:

Don’t see anything on the website yet... were you emailed directly?

Edited by stitchcreek

Unfortunately most of the airline change/cancel fee waivers  extend only to April 30th. I was on the May 3rd sailing and was flying into FLL on May 2nd and out on May 8th. I guess I will have to wait to cancel hoping fee waivers will be extended.

I didn't see any mention of airline fees reimbursement from Virgin.  

38 minutes ago, stitchcreek said:

We’re due on Richard’s Birthday Bash 15th July... so has that cruise been canned?

No - that will be the first cruise. It says that they have postponed until July 15th. We are on that cruise too! You should have received an email, hubby & I both have in the last hour or so.

11 minutes ago, britincanada said:

No - that will be the first cruise. It says that they have postponed until July 15th. We are on that cruise too! You should have received an email, hubby & I both have in the last hour or so.

But that's now a "sneak peek" cruise so I'm not sure what that means.  We were supposed to sail Aug. 2nd

3 minutes ago, B747Purdue said:

No, Richard's Birthday Cruise is indeed cancelled. The first sailing of the ship will be August 7th.  Prior to that time it will be the previews / showcases.

Hmm...I read it as sailings until July 15 cancelled, with no mention of changes to the July 15 sailing...where have you seen that the Richard's brithday bash cruise is now a preview/showcase...thank you!

19 minutes ago, britincanada said:

Got the email now, but still not sure how to interpret it for 15th July cruise?

3 minutes ago, britincanada said:

Hmm...I read it as sailings until July 15 cancelled, with no mention of changes to the July 15 sailing...where have you seen that the Richard's brithday bash cruise is now a preview/showcase...thank you!

I clarified my comment.  I have a call into them.  I'm a bit confused myself at the moment.  Apologies for any further confusion.

5 minutes ago, B747Purdue said:

I clarified my comment.  I have a call into them.  I'm a bit confused myself at the moment.  Apologies for any further confusion.

I’m trying to get through on chat but keep getting booted out before I get through to anyone...

Edited by stitchcreek

4 minutes ago, B747Purdue said:

Please share if you find info - I am at work so cannot make a call! Thank you!!

Maybe I am just being too hopeful that they wouldn't change Richard's birthday cruise!!!

Edited by britincanada
spelling!
  • Like 1

I just received this email:

Richard’s Birthday Bash Is Still On

We just wanted to send out a friendly note to reassure you that your upcoming Richard’s Birthday Bash sailing is due to set sail as planned.

We have been excitedly anticipating Scarlet Lady’s inaugural sailings, but right now our attention is on the current global health crisis. While we have decided to postpone some of our earlier sailings, Richard’s Birthday Bash Sailing will not be changing.

In true Richard fashion, this voyage will be about having fun while always doing business for good. That’s why a portion of the proceeds will be going to our trusted strategic non-profit partner, Oceans Unite, and their mission of 30x30, to protect at least 30% of the ocean by the year 2030, so we are even more inspired to make ship happen for the planned voyage, should circumstances allow.

We are eternally grateful for the support we’ve received from Sailors so far, and we are thankful for your belief in the Virgin brand. We will keep you updated should anything change but we are remaining optimistic and cannot wait to celebrate with you, at whatever time this sailing takes place.

We can’t wait to see you on board.

Virgin Voyages Crew

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, britincanada said:

Please share if you find info - I am at work so cannot make a call! Thank you!!

Maybe I am just being too hopeful that they wouldn't change Richard's birthday cruise!!!

Just received an email...Richard's Birthday Bash is still on!

1 hour ago, stitchcreek said:

We’re due on Richard’s Birthday Bash 15th July... so has that cruise been canned?

I think according the the Virgin Voyages official page on Facebook that cruise is still on - happy for you - although they called it a 'showcase' cruise