Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days   

867 members have voted

1. 1. Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

• YES
    • NO
    • Not sure

They probably will not have a choice in the matter.  If a bunch of popular cruise destinations close, they may not have enough itineraries to keep a reasonable schedule going.  I do not think people would want to a bunch of cruises to nowhere...

• Like 3

Yes  - American adults are proving incapable of heeding travel warnings can not be trusted to self-quarantine like the guy who tested positive in Palm Beach County last night on a JetBlue plane.  He was previously told he was COVID19 positive and to stay home; what does he do, hop on a plane to Florida and become Palm Beach County COVID19 Patient #1.  What did they do with everyone else on the plane?  Nothing.  Sent them on their merry way.  

The cruise lines have a major part to play in helping to flatten the curve.  Those ships need to sit idle for 60-90 days. Nobody gives a darn about your vacation plans. 

• Like 33
  • Haha 2

It might be easier if the cruise line cancels the cruises for everyone for 60 days...that way we don't have to decide what we should do!

My fiancé and I are supposed to get married on the 26th of April on board and we are still thinking about what we should do.  It's hard because our decision affects the people coming on the ship with us.

If Royal cancels we have no choice!  Plus maybe they will give full refunds and % towards another cruise.  Plus we have money wrapped up with the wedding thru royal celebrations and they will move it to another date but the money for the marriage licensing will not be refunded and if we don't move to another date we lose $900.

Stressful times!

• Like 7

Yes - NBA suspends play and NCAA tournament will be played in empty arenas.  Authorities warning against groups of 1k or more gathering for a few hours.  How can 5k passengers and crew be allowed to sail in close contact for a week or more.  Only a matter of time before someone tests positive on a Caribbean sailing and all the islands close their doors to cruise ships.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, flyguyjake said:

There is a level 4: Do Not Travel advisory to Haiti as of 3.5.20. Does this cancel Labadee stops?

Per Captains on Prior Cruises you only leave Labadee when you see torches come over the fenceline 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I would start with 30 days and re-evaluate in two weeks. I think a full stop for some period of time is a great idea, whether it needs to be 30, 60, 90 days etc will become much clearer once we see the trajectory of new cases over the next couple weeks.

• Like 2

What happens to Mario if and when this happens? He will be homeless for what that is worth.

FYI Mario is a guy who has been living on board these RCI ships since 2000 he is well known on these boards though I don't think he posts here.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

What happens to Mario if and when this happens he will be homeless for what that is worth. FYI Mario is a guy who has been living on board these RCI ships since 2000.

He owns a condo in Florida.

You beat me to it @Biker19

Edited by soremekun

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I think the move by princess is different. Their brand is damaged.

I vote no. My cruise is april 26, so I'm biased.

I agree.

The Diamond Princess saga must have hurt their bookings considerably and the 60 day suspension was probably a sound business move.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mike123abc said:

They probably will not have a choice in the matter.  If a bunch of popular cruise destinations close, they may not have enough itineraries to keep a reasonable schedule going.  I do not think people would want to a bunch of cruises to nowhere...

It would be like a TA which some people might like.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

There is a level 4: Do Not Travel advisory to Haiti as of 3.5.20. Does this cancel Labadee stops?

I actually grew up in Haiti as a child/teenager (missionary kid)-- but I haven't been in the last year because of the civil unrest. The country is in dire straights.... worst my family has ever seen in the 40 years we've been traveling to the island.

Labadee is in no way Haiti, lol.... technically it is attached to the island but it isn't a true representation of the country at all. Plus you don't have anything that you interact with locals that aren't hired by RC themselves..... So I don't think its an accurate comparison at all. 

• Like 2

Viking also cancelled all cruises https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/12/coronavirus-viking-cruises-suspends-cruise-operations-until-may-1/5030006002/

What happened on Princess could have happened on any cruise line.  It is only a matter of time if they keep sailing that it will break out on a Royal ship somewhere.

• Like 13

I don't like it, but the truth is we all need to do our part to slow down the spread and that means all non-essential travel needs to be cancelled for the time being.  It's not enough to say I'm young and don't care or the odds are low I'll actually get sick.  With exponential growth we need to act swiftly and decisively.  I hope RCCL follows suit shortly here.  If they don't, something will force their hands sooner or later.  Be that the ships are too empty to be financially viable to sail or outbreaks occur on their ships and then the impact will be even worse.

• Like 20

I think all cruise lines should suspend for a minimum of 30 days for the health and well-being of all people. I will be more than happy to sink lots of dollars into cruising after this virus has been quashed but for now I think RC should suspend.

• Like 9

I think it's inevitable that they will suspend operations for the next 60 days.  With Viking and Princess already doing that I'm sure it's being discussed by the other lines and perhaps even already decided.  You're seeing it now in the world of sports and entertainment.  The NBA suspended their season yesterday and now the NHL has followed and MLB is expected to suspend their season on Thursday.  SXSW Austin, Coachella, Stage Coach and many others have postponed their festivals.  

• Like 3

Some of you better be careful what you wish for.....next step could be to invoke martial law....make everyone a prisoner of their homes..... Everyone needs to do their part and quit adding to the hysteria....this is not the plague.....

Edited by rolloman
  • Like 15

11 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Some of you better be careful what you wish for.....next step could be to invoke martial law....make everyone a prisoner of their homes..... Everyone needs to do their part and quit adding to the hysteria....this is not the plague.....

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-12/