Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days   

867 members have voted

1. 1. Should Royal Caribbean suspend all cruises for 60days

• YES
    • NO
    • Not sure

Just now, gritsnc said:

Forgive me if this has already been posted but I work in family medicine (don't even get me started on the insanity I've gone through this week now that we have cases in my county). A patient brought in a form that Royal Caribbean apparently sent out to passengers in a certain age bracket that they are requiring a physician to sign before allowing passengers to board. 

I am sure your signed right off on that!  😁

2 minutes ago, gritsnc said:

Forgive me if this has already been posted but I work in a doctors office (don't even get me started on the insanity I've gone through this week now that we have cases in my county). A patient brought in a form that Royal Caribbean apparently sent out to passengers in a certain age bracket that they are requiring a physician to sign before allowing passengers to board. 

Yeah, they have posted it on their site. I cannot imagine too many doctors would sign it. How is it being received in your office?

1 minute ago, dasmonkey said:

I am sure your signed right off on that!  😁

The provider isn't here today so it won't be looked at until Monday but I have suspicions that RCCL is about to cancel the patients cruise. 

3 minutes ago, Case1096 said:

Reading on Twitter that training for RCCL has been halted, probably because of a pending announcement

That's also one of the first expenditures to get cut when there is a financial problem. 

mac_tlc

9 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Streaming here

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-dow-plunges-white-house-grapples-spreading-crisis-n1157551

Podium is empty... I assume Trump is showing up soon.

This is a live feed

All I hear at the moment  is background discussions of the reporters I assume

Press events like this run anywhere from 15-60 minutes late, typically.

Just now, TYinPalmSprings said:

Yeah, they have posted it on their site. I cannot imagine too many doctors would sign it. How is it being received in your office?

So far only one patient has brought one in and the provider isn't here so it won't even be looked at until Monday. This week has been exhausting. The phones rang non stop so much yesterday that I wanted to take a sledgehammer to them! Every single patient thinks they have it. Every patient wants tested. It just doesn't work that way. Monday they are opening up a drive up testing location across the street but even those patients have to meet CDC criteria in order to get tested. 

9 minutes ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

Not sure why doctors wouldn't sign it; it's a pretty standard medical liability release. I've had to get similar forms signed for a couple of scuba diving trips and a few other high risk activities. It's not even that different from the form kids need to get signed by a doctor before signing up for sports. 

4 minutes ago, gritsnc said:

So far only one patient has brought one in and the provider isn't here so it won't even be looked at until Monday. This week has been exhausting. The phones rang non stop so much yesterday that I wanted to take a sledgehammer to them! Every single patient thinks they have it. Every patient wants tested. It just doesn't work that way. Monday they are opening up a drive up testing location across the street but even those patients have to meet CDC criteria in order to get tested. 

Hopefully it will be opened up, Roche is shipping 800k rapid test kits per week starting next week.

• Like 1

MIAMI, March 13, 2020 – Today Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD. announced that it is suspending cruising in the United States for 30 days.

We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country. And this is our part to play. So, beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days. 

We are reaching out to our guests to help them work through this disruption to their vacations, and we are truly sorry for their inconvenience. We are also communicating with our crew to work out the issues this decision presents for them. We know this adds great stress to our guests, employees and crew, and we are working to minimize the disruption.

Our business is providing great vacations and creating great memories. We look forward to getting back to work as soon as we can.

# # #

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Suzieanna said:

Only US?  Well, what about everybody else?  

I think everywhere else has already been cancelled; haven't they? The ports around the Suez canal for Jewel are all closed, there are no European cruises scheduled during the next 30 days, Asia has already been cancelled. 

1 minute ago, awestover89 said:

I think everywhere else has already been cancelled; haven't they? The ports around the Suez canal for Jewel are all closed, there are no European cruises scheduled during the next 30 days, Asia has already been cancelled. 

My cruise Dubai to Greece via suez has not been cancelled.   The Dubai for 16th March has been cancelled but ours is still “on”.  

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

The realism is the damage done by the "horse" is pale compared to the basic flu we are and have experienced for years. Being an alarmist is causing more damage than optimistically and logically stepping through this. I am going to rub my magic 8 ball now and it predicts you and others like you are going to look really silly by start of summer. But for now, by all means continue to revel in your 24 hour a day negativity against America. One more thing, just curious...are you shorting cruise line stocks? Asking for a friend. 

Listening to President Trump right now in my office, these are the great steps in the right direction.  America is progressive and his speech today is what I would have expected in late January or early February.   I think Dr. Fauci has now been given what he needs to battle COVID with the right teammates.  In listening to the Dr he is a exceptionally smart and well spoken.  I like their hard line approach to nursing homes visits, with the exception to end of life situations.  It will protect the aged that are most vulnerable.

You see my comments as negativity.  That's understandable, not everyone is the same.  I'd love to bet you a beer and lose that bet about a summer "deadline".  Things are going to workout, it will take time.  We can cheers that beer, and I'd be more than happy for you to call me silly.  Then I will buy you the next round and we can talk about getting back on board the ships and which ship class is best.  

As for your last question, I don't own any cruise stock, so there is no short selling.  I might be buying some in the next week or so as the price is almost right.  

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Not sure why doctors wouldn't sign it; it's a pretty standard medical liability release. I've had to get similar forms signed for a couple of scuba diving trips and a few other high risk activities. It's not even that different from the form kids need to get signed by a doctor before signing up for sports. 

For the young there is no problem. Getting sign-off from a doctor for youngsters, adolescents, or young adults to dive, or kids for sports, is mostly a rubber stamp. It's for a young body that has not endured the years, and all that is brought on with an aging body.  For those over 70, who this is targeted at, it is different. A doctor who has treated a patient who may have conditions or ailments are being asked to get their doctors to take some responsibility on paper. Sorry, that's a bit different. Without that document, boarding to the 70 + will be denied, and all that is offered right now is a future cruise credit, but, under a NEW policy, because of the terms of it, with no limits set on discontinuing it, if ever,  it will not allow us to book future cruises with them. and the credit worthless.  

• Like 1

So all the cruises going around your own country are being suspended for one month... at the end of that month a load of Americans will be flying home from Europe from on a cruise that hasn’t been cancelled ?   Am I missing something?  This really doesn’t make sense? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Suzieanna said:

So all the cruises going around your own country are being suspended for one month... at the end of that month a load of Americans will be flying home from Europe from on a cruise that hasn’t been cancelled ?   Am I missing something?  This really doesn’t make sense? 

Maybe they won't be flying home

RCCL is cancelling cruises for the next 30 days.    Other cruise lines have cancelled for a 60 day period.  Below is a copy RCCL Press Release from earlier today.

Royal Caribbean Announces Voluntary Suspension of Cruises

Friday, March 13, 2020

Today Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD. announced that it is suspending cruising in the United States for 30 days.

We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country. And this is our part to play. So, beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days. 

We are reaching out to our guests to help them work through this disruption to their vacations, and we are truly sorry for their inconvenience. We are also communicating with our crew to work out the issues this decision presents for them. We know this adds great stress to our guests, employees and crew, and we are working to minimize the disruption.

Cruises that depart US ports before midnight tonight and international cruises will operate their scheduled itineraries.  US ships already at sea will finish their itineraries as planned.

Our business is providing great vacations and creating great memories. We look forward to getting back to work as soon as we can.”