Alaska season.....? Is there one....?

Qcruise

20 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

In light of current events and how it's unfolding......Seattle is off the table and Vancouver is considering closing it's cruise port......no Alaska cruises until further notice....??   Not good.

I can see Alaska not wanting to have cruisers visiting this year, if the Covid-19 virus is still active.

• Like 3

Depends on what will happen to the two Canadian ports (Vancouver and Victoria, BC). If they both temp. close down to cruise ships, the 2020 Alaska season will be on hold, just like the MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, etc. seasons

Edited by Copper10-8

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Depends on what will happen to the two Canadian ports (Vancouver and Victoria, BC). If they both temp. close down to cruise ships, the 2020 Alaska season will be on hold, just like the MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, etc. seasons

What I'm hearing is that decision will be made by Transport Canada very soon.  A Globe and Mail story from Wednesday said Transport Canada is looking at various options

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-bc-ports-prepare-for-an-uncertain-cruise-ship-season/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

What I'm hearing is that decision will be made by Transport Canada very soon.  A Globe and Mail story from Wednesday said Transport Canada is looking at various options

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-bc-ports-prepare-for-an-uncertain-cruise-ship-season/

Thanks! Be safe up there! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

Just out of curiosity, can the foreign stop requirement be temporarily waved so that one country's decision isn't riding on the back of another? 

Everything is possible; will it happen is a different question

Some cruise lines, just like immediately post 9/11, won't be able to handle it and will call it quits

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Everything is possible; will it happen is a different question

Some cruise lines, just like immediately post 9/11, won't be able to handle it and will call it quits

I'll go out on a limb and say if Vancouver and Victoria ports are closed....HAL will quickly follow suit to Princess and shut down for 2 months

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

Neither ferry service to Victoria (Anacortes and Port Angeles) currently have a travel restriction on their site but it’s probably as good a place as any to keep an eye on the situation.

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Even if they do will the Alaskian cruise ports be willing to accept ships, considering how limited the medical capabilities are in each of those towns.

"We are strongly advising people not to travel."

Henry said the advice against international travel extends to the U.S., and that anyone who chooses to leave the country should stay home from work or school for 14 days. That includes people who are currently in the U.S. and will be returning in the days ahead.

"That means no milk runs to Bellingham [in Washington state]," Health Minister Adrian Dix told a news conference.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-calls-for-no-travel-outside-of-canada-as-7-new-cases-of-covid-19-detected-1.5495811

5 hours ago, Qcruise said:

In light of current events and how it's unfolding......Seattle is off the table and Vancouver is considering closing it's cruise port......no Alaska cruises until further notice....??   Not good.

I do know, but I just got an e-mail from Holland with private fares for Alaska cruises!

1 hour ago, npcl said:

Even if they do will the Alaskian cruise ports be willing to accept ships, considering how limited the medical capabilities are in each of those towns.

Good points however, if "V and V" in beautiful British Columbia temp. shut down as welcoming ports to cruise ships during this year's Alaska season, a whole new issue, namely that ancient (1886) "Passenger Vessel Services Act" rears its ugly head. Vladivostok ain't that close 🤓

56 minutes ago, MARLEY225 said:

I do know, but I just got an e-mail from Holland with private fares for Alaska cruises!

I know.  The sense of "its business as usual" coming from HAL is disconcerting and confusing people in our roll call, some are now getting cabin assignments for our 4/15 Seattle to Hawaii sailing, it's next in line out of Seattle, and the Hawaii and Canadian ports are debating as we speak on delaying the season.  It doesn't look good and most of us have resigned ourselves to not going, we just wish we knew sooner rather than later so we could move on.