Celebrity Summit - February 29, 2020 and COVID-19

hvbaskey

It’s in our local news, but I haven’t seen any comments from Celebrity, or otherwise.   Have passengers been notified that Feb 29/Mar 01?  sailing of Summit had a post-cruise case?

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/two-more-cases-of-covid-19-confirmed-in-waterloo-region-1.4849266?fbclid=IwAR27udkywJsmEXXNyvfaRlGvRQwVx9q02AoS6n4wmVq5DVKFz3gOh3Nq-0U

"In one case, a female in her 60s who had been aboard a Celebrity Cruise acquired the virus.

Public Health officials say the cruise left Puerto Rico on March 1, and visited St. Thomas, St. Martin, Barbados, Dominique and Grenada before returning home to Puerto Rico on March 7.

The woman was reportedly asymptomatic when she was travelling and self-isolated at home when her symptoms developed."

9 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

It’s in our local news, but I haven’t seen any comments from Celebrity, or otherwise.   Have passengers been notified that Feb 29/Mar 01?  sailing of Summit had a post-cruise case?

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/two-more-cases-of-covid-19-confirmed-in-waterloo-region-1.4849266?fbclid=IwAR27udkywJsmEXXNyvfaRlGvRQwVx9q02AoS6n4wmVq5DVKFz3gOh3Nq-0U

"In one case, a female in her 60s who had been aboard a Celebrity Cruise acquired the virus.

Public Health officials say the cruise left Puerto Rico on March 1, and visited St. Thomas, St. Martin, Barbados, Dominique and Grenada before returning home to Puerto Rico on March 7.

The woman was reportedly asymptomatic when she was travelling and self-isolated at home when her symptoms developed."

Average incubation period is 5 days, she left the ship May 7th.  The people onboard should take precaution. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

She likely picked up from someone on the ship as opposed to bringing it on the ship herself.  Which means we will probably hear about more cases from that ship in the near future.

That will be the tell. If others from that cruise are identified as having it. If not then she may have picked it up elsewhere. If there were multiple cases from her cruise then that means the crew was probably exposed and they are still on the ship interacting with the next batch of passengers. This could lead to a quarantine of that ship and its current passengers and crew. We'll have ot see how this plays out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

She likely picked up from someone on the ship as opposed to bringing it on the ship herself.  Which means we will probably hear about more cases from that ship in the near future.

Agreed, the news statement seems to imply that she acquired it while on board.

"who had been aboard a Celebrity Cruise acquired the virus"

Never ending cascade..sorry for the patient.  Glad we cancelled our May cruise on Sunmit.!  

Patiently waiting for credit to hit our card, and  for arrival of our fcc certificate.

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

Never ending cascade..sorry for the patient.  Glad we cancelled our May cruise on Sunmit.!  

Patiently waiting for credit to hit our card, and  for arrival of our fcc certificate.

We’ve received numerous payments from Celebrity for canceling our June Summit cruise.  Our cancellation was before final payment and we haven’t been fully reimbursed.    I think J was told it would come in pieces.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hvbaskey said:

Agreed, the news statement seems to imply that she acquired it while on board.

"who had been aboard a Celebrity Cruise acquired the virus"

I read the article to have been using term Cruise in its sense as a vacation involving a cruise, not purely the act of being on a ship only.

It did not say "Who acquired the virus onboard the Celebrity Summit."

4 minutes ago, cle-guy said:

I board Summit Saturday.  I got my boarding email today, and nothing about corona on board.

Just the notice we all are aware of about enhanced pre-board screenings.

Us too. 

3 minutes ago, cle-guy said:

I read the article to have been using term Cruise in its sense as a vacation involving a cruise, not purely the act of being on a ship only.

It did not say "Who acquired the virus onboard the Celebrity Summit."

However you read it; she was on the Summit and tested positive coming off.

29 minutes ago, hcat said:

Wait, you're getting money back on your credit card? I was told all I was getting was a future cruise credit if I were to cancel???

Just now, pilotboy1985 said:

Wait, you're getting money back on your credit card? I was told all I was getting was a future cruise credit if I were to cancel???

Depends when you cancel and where you are in the penalty phase.  I cancelled our May cruise and received a 50 / 50 split since I was in the 50% penalty box.

Note:  they can change that policy at any time (FCC %).  I canceled earlier this week.

Just now, cle-guy said:

did she test positive when she was coming off or when she got home later?

She disembarked 4 days ago, within that time span - she tested positive.  She has apparently been in self-isolation since.

We do a lot of traceability here in Ontario (Canada) such that people can self-quarantine if they find out they have been exposed.

Those who were on the March 01st sailing have the right to know about this case.

• Like 2

So there's no certainty that she did caught it from the cruise. She might have caught it pre-cruise, during the cruise, transportation to the airport, on the flight back to Toronto, etc. Regardless, sail safe!

Edited by GateGuardian
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, cle-guy said:

I board Summit Saturday.  I got my boarding email today, and nothing about corona on board.

It was just identified over this past day that this former passenger has it. I'm sure that authorities are working with the cruise line to determine if there is an impact on the Summit for subsequent sailings. That might take a little time. They are not going to freak out upcoming passengers until they look into this. Remember that the Grand Princess went into quarantine due to a passenger on the prior sailing being identified as having the virus and then more people on board found to have the virus on the active sailing once they started investigating. Then the cruise scheduled after the one that was quarantined was cancelled. This would be a similar scenario. I don't think the passengers on the cruise that was cancelled found out until the day before or day of sailing.

7 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

She disembarked 4 days ago, within that time span - she tested positive.  She has apparently been in self-isolation since.

We do a lot of traceability here in Ontario (Canada) such that people can self-quarantine if they find out they have been exposed.

Those who were on the March 01st sailing have the right to know about this case.

Definitely need to know about it so one has a clear vision, but its be factual and not run with rhetoric and assumptions.

Has Health Canada traced it to its source yet?

It's as important people realize it can come from other places, not just a cruise ship.  watch customs lines, watch airplanes, watch taxi cabs watch handling cash.

Edited by cle-guy
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

Us too. 

26 minutes ago, cle-guy said:

Enjoy your cruise. We are doing a B2B on the Summit 28 March and 4 April. Looking forward to another great cruise. The updates from the revolution are really nice. Bon Voyage...🥂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

It was just identified over this past day that this former passenger has it. I'm sure that authorities are working with the cruise line to determine if there is an impact on the Summit for subsequent sailings. That might take a little time. They are not going to freak out upcoming passengers until they look into this. Remember that the Grand Princess went into quarantine due to a passenger on the prior sailing being identified as having the virus and then more people on board found to have the virus on the active sailing once they started investigating. Then the cruise scheduled after the one that was quarantined was cancelled. This would be a similar scenario. I don't think the passengers on the cruise that was cancelled found out until the day before or day of sailing.

My personal concern would be IF I were on the same sailing as the COVID-19 positive case (March 01 sailing).  

I would want to know if I had been exposed such that I could monitor for symptoms for the next 14 days.   That’s how you #FlattenTheCurve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Enjoy your cruise. We are doing a B2B on the Summit 28 March and 4 April. Looking forward to another great cruise. The updates from the revolution are really nice. Bon Voyage...🥂

LOL, I'm actually on for 3 weeks, getting off April 4.  Also doing the Atlantis Charter in the middle.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cle-guy said:

LOL, I'm actually on for 3 weeks, getting off April 4.  Also doing the Atlantis Charter in the middle.

Wow! That means I finally get to meet you, Curt! We booked this cruise a few weeks ago as a treat since we move on Tuesday from San Diego to Tampa. We will need a little break in short order. 

Now I am even more excited! You helped me tons in the past (especially when planning my Summit Honeymoon 4.5 years ago) and now I can finally say a proper Thank You. 🙂