Celebrity Summit - February 29, 2020 and COVID-19

hvbaskey

4 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I'm rereading that article you posted and the itinerary listed for that "second Summit passenger" matches the itinerary for the Silhouette passenger being discussed in another thread and listed in the chart you posted above.

Yes, he says it's the Summit but article is about the Silhouette.

2 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I'm rereading that article you posted and the itinerary listed for that "second Summit passenger" matches the itinerary for the Silhouette passenger being discussed in another thread and listed in the chart you posted above.

I'm not sure who the other person was mentioning, but I believe the husband of the 60 y/o Summit passenger has also tested positive.  I do not know if he was on the Summit with her, but I have also read that there is a second Summit passenger. I will look for the article now.

1 minute ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

I'm not sure who the other person was mentioning, but I believe the husband of the 60 y/o Summit passenger has also tested positive.  I do not know if he was on the Summit with her, but I have also read that there is a second Summit passenger. I will look for the article now.

Yes, local news here is reporting that the second Summit COVID-19 is the spouse of the first report from the Summit.

The third case in the region is from the Silhouette.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

I edited my last response, local news (I live 45 minutes from Waterloo) is reporting that the second case if the spouse of the first.

Okay. So still two cases from Summit, but it is possible since they are spouses that they could have picked it up somewhere other than the ship which is what someone else here was saying. I think a third case might be needed who is not connected to these two for them to confirm that it was onboard Summit. Maybe that's why Celebrity is not saying anything to passengers yet. Odd that Puerto Rico still refused the ship. They must've wanted to not take any chances.

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

Okay. So still two cases from Summit, but it is possible since they are spouses that they could have picked it up somewhere other than the ship which is what someone else here was saying. I think a third case might be needed who is not connected to these two for them to confirm that it was onboard Summit. Maybe that's why Celebrity is not saying anything to passengers yet. Odd that Puerto Rico still refused the ship. They must've wanted to not take any chances.

If I am remembering correctly, the dates of serious symptoms suggest that she was infected while on the Summit.  Whether she caught it on the ship, or on one of the islands, doesn't really matter if she was infected while she was a passenger on the ship.  I believe she was diagnosed within a few days of disembarking... someone should be able to provide exact dates, I am typing from memory. 

The man from the Silhouette was actually infected and symptomatic on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Still thankful for those who have recently disembarked to place themselves in self-isolation until further news is released.

Kudos and appreciation to those who posted that they are in self-isolation - well done 🐳

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Here is the news article.  Woman boarded in Puerto Rico. It was a 7 day cruise. By March 8th she was back in Canada and symptomatic.  Typical infection/incubation is 5 days.   IMO it is almost a scientific certainty that she was infected on the Summit.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/2-more-cases-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-waterloo-region-1.5495126

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

One of the Flights is Air Transat Flight 571 on March 6.  Flight passengers in rows 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19 were asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

Full article here:  Cruise, Air line, self-quarantine requests
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/covid-19-coronavirus-waterloo-region-fifth-case-1.5497808

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

Yet another case of cruise travellers with Covid19.

This couple is from HAMILTON and the cruise ship has not been named yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/covid-19-halton-hamilton-1.5498096

I applaud Canada’s transparency and willingness to keep us informed. 

Prince Edward Island, Canada as well - their first confirmed case - who recently returned from a cruise, but Line/Ship not mentioned as of yet: 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-chief-public-health-officer-latest-covid-19-1.5498094

"The woman returned to the Island on March 7 and began experiencing symptoms on March 10. She then called 811 and was tested on March 11. "

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yorkie213 said:

We would’ve canceled but wanted a refund not a future cruise credit. Regardless you would think they would promote safe habits like social distancing.  

You would think so, but as someone pointed out on a Princess thread, those being evacuated from the Grand Princess were very close to one another walking down the gangway.  If there ever was a time to keep your distance, you would think that would be it.

At the grocery store today, people were not keeping farther apart than usual.  The cashier was using copious amounts of hand sanitizer, and did not seem pleased when I asked him to stop dragging my food over the large puddle of sanitizer that was near the register.    

2 hours ago, JoyousSailor said:

Check updates to the link for the Waterloo article.  Now there is mention of a confirmed case for a cruiser who was on Celebrity Silhouette out of Florida I believe.

Thread discussion for the Silhouette is here:

The celebrity summit cruise that left San Juan was Feb 29, NOT March 1s, which is making this very confusing and frustrating.  It returned to San Juan on March 7.

The lady is apparently from Waterloo Ontario, and tested positive upon her return and then self isolated. No idea what flight she was on. many people on the same ship are not relating to it because it says she sailed March 1st, which is WRONG!!! 

Celebrity staff should be contacting people to make them aware of her positive test and to self isolate. 

14 hours ago, habby09 said:

The celebrity summit cruise that left San Juan was Feb 29, NOT March 1s, which is making this very confusing and frustrating.  It returned to San Juan on March 7.

The lady is apparently from Waterloo Ontario, and tested positive upon her return and then self isolated. No idea what flight she was on. many people on the same ship are not relating to it because it says she sailed March 1st, which is WRONG!!! 

Celebrity staff should be contacting people to make them aware of her positive test and to self isolate. 

Yes, it has been repeated several times throughout this message thread that the date was erroneously reported.  What is clear is that she was a passenger on the Summit during the first week of March.

There are now several cases from the Summit who have tested positive.   Passengers should be notified, but Celebrity’s response thus far is “crickets”.

Thank goodness for Ontario, Canada’s contact tracing:  excerpts from the confirmed cases in Owen Sound, Ontario

"They were notified as part of contact tracing from a confirmed case on a cruise ship, and presented to a local health-care facility where testing was ordered, the release said."

"A public health spokesperson said they would not be identifying what part of Grey-Bruce the couple is from or which hospital they went to. Drew Ferguson said the cruise ship related to the couple was the Celebrity Summit, which visits Caribbean destinations."

On 3/15/2020 at 7:39 AM, spryder said:

It looks to me like the posts are still here?  But I'm not sure how many there were in total. 

I do know that I posted this to the "Celebrity Silhouette" Facebook Group (8000+ members), and it started a huge discussion amongst people who had been on this exact cruise and had no idea about the situation.... and I was summarily removed and banned from the group as a result.  People are actively limiting the dissemination of information about infected people on cruise ships and its mind-boggling to me. 

interesting.  My wife & I were on that Summit cruise and went I told our london health unit they were not interested in testing us which is in my opinion is  very irresponsible.  I wish somebody would contact us to get tested since we have been exhibiting mild flu symptoms since last week 

Edited by Briguy071

34 minutes ago, Briguy071 said:

interesting.  My wife & I were on that Summit cruise and went I told our london health unit they were not interested in testing us which is in my opinion is  very irresponsible.  I wish somebody would contact us to get tested since we have been exhibiting mild flu symptoms since last week 

Contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 or your local public health unit if you’re experiencing symptoms of the 2019 novel coronavirus.

Please do not visit an assessment centre unless you have symptoms.

Do not call 911 unless it is an emergency.

If London Public Health is not interested, perhaps call the TeleHealth # ?

Wishing you the very best and good health.

Edited by hvbaskey
811 is for Alberta, replaced with ON info

Thanks. I’ve done that.  As long as I’m not experiencing breathing problems I’m told to self isolate.  I don’t know how they expect to track this by not testing us especially with 4 confirmed cases on our ship 

2 minutes ago, Briguy071 said:

Thanks. I’ve done that.  As long as I’m not experiencing breathing problems I’m told to self isolate.  I don’t know how they expect to track this by not testing us especially with 4 confirmed cases on our ship 

There are now 5 cases from Summit.  The couple from Region of Waterloo, one from the Region of Peel, and now the couple from Owen Sound.

If you have any hint of a wheeze, please call again, and take care.

So far, all the testing / confirmed cases are from Canada.  I wonder how much under reporting from the Summit is going on?  With 5 confirmed positive tests so far - all from the Summit, I would expect at the very least some communication from Celebrity.