Celebrity Summit - February 29, 2020 and COVID-19

hvbaskey

4 hours ago, Briguy071 said:

interesting.  My wife & I were on that Summit cruise and went I told our london health unit they were not interested in testing us which is in my opinion is  very irresponsible.  I wish somebody would contact us to get tested since we have been exhibiting mild flu symptoms since last week 

Very interesting. Can't you call your Doctor and demand to be tested since your have symptoms and we're exposed. You need to know.  Stay home if you can.  Social distance for sure.

• Thanks 1

Doctor is on vacation but we have been responsible and self isolated the first sign that we weren’t feeling well.  My local health unit has my number just surprised I haven’t been contacted but I guess they can be crazy busy.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Briguy071 said:

Doctor is on vacation but we have been responsible and self isolated the first sign that we weren’t feeling well.  My local health unit has my number just surprised I haven’t been contacted but I guess they can be crazy busy.  

Call the local hospital.  If you has respiratory problems and a fever, you can't wait. Take care of yourself. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 2+2 said:

Very interesting. Can't you call your Doctor and demand to be tested since your have symptoms and we're exposed. You need to know.  Stay home if you can.  Social distance for sure.

No, you can't "demand" to be tested. If you meet the criteria you'll be tested, if you don't, you won't. Moreover, most medical practices don't want potential COVID-19 patients coming to their offices. The following is typical of advice being provided by medical practices:

As of March 15, 2020, these are the current Public Health guidelines:

Even if you do not have symptoms, it is recommended to self-isolate for 14 days if: 

• You have travelled anywhere outside of Canada (including the USA).

• You live with or spent extensive time with someone who has:   Tested positive for COVID-19, OR is suspected to have COVID-19, OR who has respiratory symptoms (fever, cough, or shortness of breath) that started within 14 days of travel outside of Canada. 

If you have MILD symptoms, where you are NOT short of breath and can manage symptoms reasonably at home

• Do NOT call Ottawa Public Health

Self-isolate until 24 hours AFTER symptoms have FULLY resolved. Most people with mild symptoms will recover on their own at home

• For employees, if your employer requires a sick note please send them this letter from Ottawa Public Health. 

If you have ESCALATING SYMPTOMS such as a new or worsening cough and/or fever, AND have either travelled outside of Canada or been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days:

• Do NOT call Ottawa Public Health

• Children under 6 months of age meeting this criteria should be taken to CHEO

• Visit the COVID-19 Assessment Centre at Brewer Park– you do NOT need a referral from Ottawa Public Health OR

• If the COVID-19 Assessment Centre is closed, go to the ER and pay attention to special signage

If you have SEVERE SYMPTOMS (you have frequent shortage of breath and cannot manage your symptoms at home), call 911 or go to the ER and pay attention to special signage
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, habby09 said:

The female from PEI, what dates did she sail? 

Our Chief Medical Officer announced today, that the female from PEI with confirmed Covid-19, did indeed sail on the Summit Feb.29th sailing. They were able to get the manifest and know that there are 4 more islanders on that sailing as well and they’ve all been notified.

• Thanks 2

Important piece of the puzzle here at this link. Apparently San Juan did not turn Summit away, they were going to allow them to dock but passengers would have to wait to disembark until National Guard could arrive and oversee temperature taking of the passengers onboard. That would’ve taken a couple days for them to arrive but the same amount of time that it took them to sail to Florida. Celebrity did not want to comply with this and chose to divert to Florida. Outrageous!

https://www.facebook.com/108679513654/posts/10157451263628655/?vh=e&d=n

Edited by WonderMan3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, PEIpair said:

Our Chief Medical Officer announced today, that the female from PEI with confirmed Covid-19, did indeed sail on the Summit Feb.29th sailing. They were able to get the manifest and know that there are 4 more islanders on that sailing as well and they’ve all been notified.

Hopefully the whole ship will be notified so that they can begin self quarantine immediately.  Wonder how many of them got on an air plane.

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

I am reading on another forum that Summit arrived in Florida this morning and passengers have already disembarked. No testing or anything. Massively irresponsible!

I'm rarely without words as my DH will attest, but right now all I can muster up is WOW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hopefully the whole ship will be notified so that they can begin self quarantine immediately.  Wonder how many of them got on an air plane.

I'm rarely without words as my DH will attest, but right now all I can muster up is WOW.

Yes, especially knowing now that there was an opportunity in San Juan to do a safety medical check on passengers and they chose not to do that. Shocking.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes, especially knowing now that there was an opportunity in San Juan to do a safety medical check on passengers and they chose not to do that. Shocking.

Profits over People.  It's clear that's the mantra Celebrity has followed from the beginning.  They do not want to risk having to manage and pay for a quarantine.   Tells you everything you need to know about the company we trust with our lives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PEIpair said:

Correction:

There were 4 P.E.Islanders IN TOTAL on that Summit sailing. So far, only one has been confirmed positive.

The information in the posts above is very disturbing....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

Important piece of the puzzle here at this link. Apparently San Juan did not turn Summit away, they were going to allow them to dock but passengers would have to wait to disembark until National Guard could arrive and oversee temperature taking of the passengers onboard. That would’ve taken a couple days for them to arrive but the same amount of time that it took them to sail to Florida. Celebrity did not want to comply with this and chose to divert to Florida. Outrageous!

https://www.facebook.com/108679513654/posts/10157451263628655/?vh=e&d=n

The man in the Facebook posting was referring to the three ships that we due to port in San Juan on yesterday (March 15).  He actually said the names of the 3 ships (Carnival, NCL, Royal -- no mention of a Celebrity ship).  He did not mention the Celebrity Summit at all.  Summit was due to port in San Juan on March 14.  Now......one can assume that the reason why the Summit did not port in San Juan was because they did not want to wait until the National Guard arrived but this would be pure speculation and assumption on our parts.  I'm not sure it's fair to say that Celebrity did not want to comply with this request and that it's Outrageous of them not to do so.  We STILL don't have the facts......we only have what this man on the Facebook post said -- and he made no mention of Celebrity Summit.

56 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Profits over People.  It's clear that's the mantra Celebrity has followed from the beginning.  They do not want to risk having to manage and pay for a quarantine.   Tells you everything you need to know about the company we trust with our lives.

Profits over People is the mantra of A LOT corporations......not just Celebrity.  

Edited by jcpc

Just now, jcpc said:

Profits over People is the mantra of ALL corporations......not just Celebrity.  

I disagree. Some Corporations reacted to this situation very quickly to protect employees and customers.  I am still trying to confirm, but am 99% confident, that Celebrity knew there had been infected passengers on Summit while new cruisers cruised and they gave no warning.  I know with 100% certainty that they knew a prior Silhouette passenger was reported as symptomatic on a previous cruise, and they did not notify the next set of passengers. 

This is Negligent and inexcusable.  I hope they (cruiselines) Do Not receive a federal bailout of any kind.  Let the market decide what happens.  Live by Capitalism, die by Capitalism.

1 minute ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

I disagree. Some Corporations reacted to this situation very quickly to protect employees and customers.  I am still trying to confirm, but am 99% confident, that Celebrity knew there had been infected passengers on Summit while new cruisers cruised and they gave no warning.  I know with 100% certainty that they knew a prior Silhouette passenger was reported as symptomatic on a previous cruise, and they did not notify the next set of passengers. 

This is Negligent and inexcusable.  I hope they (cruiselines) Do Not receive a federal bailout of any kind.  Let the market decide what happens.  Live by Capitalism, die by Capitalism.

I changed my post to A LOT from ALL corporations.

57 minutes ago, jcpc said:

The man in the Facebook posting was referring to the three ships that we due to port in San Juan on yesterday (March 15).  He actually said the names of the 3 ships (Carnival, NCL, Royal -- no mention of a Celebrity ship).  He did not mention the Celebrity Summit at all.  Summit was due to port in San Juan on March 14.  Now......one can assume that the reason why the Summit did not port in San Juan was because they did not want to wait until the National Guard arrived but this would be pure speculation and assumption on our parts.  I'm not sure it's fair to say that Celebrity did not want to comply with this request and that it's Outrageous of them not to do so.  We STILL don't have the facts......we only have what this man on the Facebook post said -- and he made no mention of Celebrity Summit.

Royal owns Celebrity so they would've each followed the same policy. Seems a bit odd that San Juan would just turn away ships with no option like this on Saturday and then have a different response the next day. It's a burden for them to have to call in the National Guard and have that drama tying up their port. If they had started with this National Guard option and then moved to an option the next day of saying no cruise ships allowed, that might make sense, but to go in reverse and move towards options that are more inconvenient for their city just doesn't ring right.

3 hours ago, PEIpair said:

CMO gets the manifest = Celebrity is aware of the COVID+ cases ... yet CRICKETS from them.

At the very least they should be notifying ALL passengers from February 29th until suspension who were on board the Summit.

I am so disappointed and it will influence how I book my cruises in 2021.  I do have an FCC to use up, but I will be looking for a company that offers more transparency and honesty.   I have never booked a Princess cruise, but they have earned my respect that they have been honest and transparent even though it resulted in such negative press about them.