Why isn't NCL cancelling due to coronavirus? Other cruise lines are.

sailthesea

3 minutes ago, sailthesea said:

I shudder to think of all the passengers returning, not doing self-quarantine, and passing it on to vulnerable populations. People are DYING because of this. It's not the time to go on a cheap cruise.

Only 2 cruise lines have stopped...Viking, which is privately held...and Princess, which is under Carnival Corp. Other Carnival line ships are sailing. If you don't feel safe then don't cruise. I have one scheduled for May and I fully intend to go on it unless it is cancelled.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, sailthesea said:

I shudder to think of all the passengers returning, not doing self-quarantine, and passing it on to vulnerable populations. People are DYING because of this. It's not the time to go on a cheap cruise.

Just wondering how many people have came off NCL sailings with the CV19?   I haven't seen the statistics on that.

Thanks.

Do those of you who are cruising plan to quarantine yourselves after the cruise, before returning to work and community? Disneyland is closing, Viking and Princess have canceled cruises, sporting events are being cancelled - and you think *yay!* great time for a cruise? That's just being stupid and selfish, people.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It is my belief that a large part of the world's population will become exposed one way or another.  Avoiding a cruise ship isn't going to stop that.  I have likely already been exposed from my line of work or when I went to the grocery store, and church on Sunday...oh and I pumped gas.  Who knows how many infected people touched the pump ahead of me.  I washed my hands though and tried to keep my hands off my face.  Maybe I should self isolate just in case.

Your post is judgmental and lacks substance for the greater good...in my opinion.

• Like 21

Do those of you who are cruising plan to quarantine yourselves after the cruise, before returning to work and community? Disneyland is closing, Viking and Princess have canceled cruises, sporting events are being cancelled - and you think *yay!* great time for a cruise? That's just being stupid and selfish, people.

I haven’t seen anyone in this thread say “yay, it’s a great time to cruise”.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, sailthesea said:

I will self quarantine when I return if I have an reason to believe I have actually been exposed to the virus...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sailthesea said:

How many ships/lines in the past have cancelled cruises because of something like norovirus because some OTHER ship has had it? That may be the line of thinking as NCL doesn’t have any cases so let’s not jump the gun here. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Viking is privately held so doesn't have to answer to shareholders. Princess has had all of the bad publicity from the two quarantined ships. Both lines cater to an older demographic that is at higher risk.

Can you provide statistics to NCL Ships and how they are impacted and retain their clientele?

Are ports being closed?

Are events being cancelled? Shows, Comedy, etc?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, sailthesea said:

Who gives A F what other cruise lines are doing.  If you arent going on your cruise, so be it.  Why are you rushing to ruin my vacation.  My wife and I are healthy, and willing to take our chances.  Move along and STOP LOOKING TO FAN THE FLAMES.  Go troll somewhere else!  How many people have died from the REGULAR flu.....Sheep.

• Like 15

There is a good Wall Street Journal article today about Princess's cancelling. I won't link it, as there is a paywall, but subscribers will want to read it. Most revealing is the quote below. Basically they're cancelling to preserve the brand.  

We were not prepared for something like this and neither were the health authorities in Japan and the U.S.,” said a Princess executive. The company’s decision to cancel sailings is its latest effort to avoid even more lasting damage to its business. “We have to get out of the headlines,” this executive said.

I think that with proper health checks prior to boarding,  sanitation protocols onboard,  and pax who are aware of the issue, healthy people can safely cruise.  The presumably huge numbers of cancellations will also make each cruise safer, since there will be less crowding.  

I expect we won't see the cruise lines voluntarily shut down unless the airlines do it first, which seems fair. On the other hand, who know what policy our government will come up with.  

I am about to finish packing for a cruise departing next Wednesday (on the Sky) and at this point we'll proceed as normal unless the airline, cruise line, or government cancels it.

• Like 1

Yes indeed. This is how coronavirus has exploded from a few isolated cases, to a pandemic - people who are "healthy and willing to take chances". The sick and elderly are royally screwed by that attitude. But, hey, have a great vacation and don't think about Grandma and Grandpa.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

So Carnival stock, with Princess going on hold for 60 days, is currently 34% of its January price. Norwegian stock is now 16.4% of its January price.  That is very telling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sailthesea said:

Yes indeed. This is how coronavirus has exploded from a few isolated cases, to a pandemic - people who are "healthy and willing to take chances". The sick and elderly are royally screwed by that attitude. But, hey, have a great vacation and don't think about Grandma and Grandpa.

My grandparents are dead and my mother lives 800 miles away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1