Why isn't NCL cancelling due to coronavirus? Other cruise lines are.

sailthesea

People think it is just a cold, and won't happen to them because they will wash their hands when they go on board, and use a napkin, and that it is all just a joke caused by Trump, the Democrats, Soros, global warming etc. The thing is, we know very little about it. Here is a good one:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8104477/Doctors-claim-new-coronavirus-cause-damage-mans-TESTICLES.html

New research coming out of China says that it infects the sperm producing male hardware the same as it can kill your kidneys. No one seems to care about dead old people, but maybe they might if it turns out that men will be shooting blanks for the rest of their lives if they get a good dose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sailthesea said:

Do those of you who are cruising plan to quarantine yourselves after the cruise, before returning to work and community? Disneyland is closing, Viking and Princess have canceled cruises, sporting events are being cancelled - and you think *yay!* great time for a cruise? That's just being stupid and selfish, people.

Why should anyone quarantine themselves after a cruise if there has been no illness attributed to it? 

2 minutes ago, Gershep said:

As more things are shutting down and venues are closing, it is possible that other cruise lines will cancel. It may be just a matter of time.

Math is math.  We are rapidly approaching a point where it will be a significant possibility that there will be at least one infected person on board and where crew all will have been in proximity to infected people.

Cruising is not sustainable right now.  It is really just a matter of time.  Until then, those who do not recognize the risk they present to others simply are not going to be convinced and it is very hard to shake people who think it is only a matter of their personal health into understanding that social distancing has little to do with the robust but everything to do with the weakest in the herd.  

There will be a self reckoning eventually.  People will have to look hard in the mirror.  Math is math.  If you have elderly people you care about, do not let them go anywhere near anyone who has cruised in the last 14 days.

• Like 5

Ya''ll keep on cruising.  I  do hope everyone's plans are not interrupted.  Relax.

Did you have a tornado slam your house? Did you live through that?

So tired of people here with having their objective in life to score an upgrade.. 

Where is this world going....

JMO

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Regguy said:

Math is math.  We are rapidly approaching a point where it will be a significant possibility that there will be at least one infected person on board and where crew all will have been in proximity to infected people.

Cruising is not sustainable right now.  It is really just a matter of time.  Until then, those who do not recognize the risk they present to others simply are not going to be convinced and it is very hard to shake people who think it is only a matter of their personal health into understanding that social distancing has little to do with the robust but everything to do with the weakest in the herd.  

There will be a self reckoning eventually.  People will have to look hard in the mirror.  Math is math.  If you have elderly people you care about, do not let them go anywhere near anyone who has cruised in the last 14 days.

Very good point. After all this, do they want to be the cruise line that shut down BEFORE there was an incident? Sounds like good PR, although, the public forgets very quickly. It does seem like it is just a matter of time until they are affected. 

• Like 1

For me it’s about my own personal feelings of social responsibility. I do not think think I am a risk but I don’t know.  We have to get a handle on this within our borders. I don’t want to cancel but for me, right now, it’s the right thing to do.  I will not chastise anyone who chooses to go. That is their decision based on their circumstances.  This is what makes America great.  Gather your facts and make an informed decision FOR YOU. I don’t think most people are being cavilier about this.  At least I hope not. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, sailthesea said:

Yes indeed. This is how coronavirus has exploded from a few isolated cases, to a pandemic - people who are "healthy and willing to take chances". The sick and elderly are royally screwed by that attitude. But, hey, have a great vacation and don't think about Grandma and Grandpa.

So have you quarantined yourself for the last 14 days?  What is your point?  You cant live your life in a bubble.  Jesus, I would imaginw right now Cruise Ships are probably cleaner than most hospitals.  Like I said, I hope you enjoy your future cruise, but MTFO and let us enjoy OUR cruise.  Stop fanning the flames of rumors, mystics and snake-oil salesmen.  What do you know that we don't?

• Like 1

I have been at Disney World all this week with extended family and you would never know there was a Corona Virus Pandemic. Been to all four parks and have only seen 3 or 4 folks wearing masks. DW has hand sanitizer available everywhere and I know we have been washing our hands with soap and water and not touching our faces.  Our NCL sailing is still on, so far, and we intend to take similar precautions and spend LOTS of time on our balcony breathing in FRESH air. 

• Like 4

Things are getting very real in Seattle. Schools have just been closed for six weeks, and the government is warning about other impending measures. There have already been four cruise visits cancelled for various reasons last time I looked. I read that 1.3 million cruisers cycle through Seattle each year. Things are hitting the fan here. I know that people won't want ships with 4,000 people in quarantine being tied up downtown for weeks on end. We will pay dearly for that. We don't have the medical resources to take care of them. The public will go nuts if they think Granny has been denied a ventilator because some cruise person from outside the State is on one.

I predict that the government will close Seattle to cruise ships for the 2020 season, and within a month we are on an Italian style lockdown. No one in. No one out.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dockman said:

just saw this on NCL jewel roll call....can anyone verify if correct?

French Polynesia ports now closed to all cruise ships.
Now cruise companies are canceling all cruises for 60 days no matter where to.
Does not look good now !!!

Cruise Critic posted an article earlier today about port closings: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/

I'm confused on what it means but here is what it says about French Polynesia: "All cruise ships will enter French Polynesia exclusively through the port of entry of Papeete in Tahiti. Ships that have been granted first berth exemptions for the outer islands will be canceled."

9 minutes ago, Cruising Chuck said:

So have you quarantined yourself for the last 14 days?  What is your point?  You cant live your life in a bubble.  Jesus, I would imaginw right now Cruise Ships are probably cleaner than most hospitals.  Like I said, I hope you enjoy your future cruise, but MTFO and let us enjoy OUR cruise.  Stop fanning the flames of rumors, mystics and snake-oil salesmen.  What do you know that we don't?

I work in a big ER in Seattle. Want me to say it? I will get banned, but if it saves one life I will. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dockman said:

just saw this on NCL jewel roll call....can anyone verify if correct?

French Polynesia ports now closed to all cruise ships.
Now cruise companies are canceling all cruises for 60 days no matter where to.
Does not look good now !!!

From what I read am an now seeing people post that are currently on the Jewel that FP will be closed. They will allow those on ship to go home but no new passengers allowed on at least till 4/11

4 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

Cruise Critic posted an article earlier today about port closings: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/

I'm confused on what it means but here is what it says about French Polynesia: "All cruise ships will enter French Polynesia exclusively through the port of entry of Papeete in Tahiti. Ships that have been granted first berth exemptions for the outer islands will be canceled."

yes i have seen re port of entry a week ago...but the other post (4 hours ago) that says ALL french polynesian ports closed is what i am referring to...can anyone verify if that is indeed the case with a source?

10 minutes ago, lambs2 said:

I have been at Disney World all this week with extended family and you would never know there was a Corona Virus Pandemic. Been to all four parks and have only seen 3 or 4 folks wearing masks. DW has hand sanitizer available everywhere and I know we have been washing our hands with soap and water and not touching our faces.  Our NCL sailing is still on, so far, and we intend to take similar precautions and spend LOTS of time on our balcony breathing in FRESH air. 

Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure CLOSE due to the coronavirus outbreak
Disneyland and Disney California Adventure will both close starting Saturday
No coronavirus cases were reported at the parks, but closure is a precaution
It is only the sixth unscheduled closure in Disneyland Park's history 

Daily Mail.

7 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

Sadly above is already out of date information. Since they now have a case of the virus they are going to ban all ships till 4/11 except done that are in route then those passengers must go straight home 

8 minutes ago, kelib said:

Sadly above is already out of date information. Since they now have a case of the virus they are going to ban all ships till 4/11 except done that are in route then those passengers must go straight home 

just saw this

https://www.presidence.pf/suspension-des-escales-de-croisieres-en-polynesie-francaise-jusquau-11-avril/

52 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It is my belief that a large part of the world's population will become exposed one way or another.  Avoiding a cruise ship isn't going to stop that.  I have likely already been exposed from my line of work or when I went to the grocery store, and church on Sunday...oh and I pumped gas.  Who knows how many infected people touched the pump ahead of me.  I washed my hands though and tried to keep my hands off my face.  Maybe I should self isolate just in case.

Your post is judgmental and lacks substance for the greater good...in my opinion.

The only problems with your reasoning is that you might end up being quarantined somewhere in Europe or somewhere else with the difficulty of finding a way home now that Trump has issued his travel restriction edict.  Plus, if you are not careful and contract the virus, you easily could pass it on to an older person or one who has compromised immunity due to an underlying condition.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mammasan said:

The only problems with your reasoning is that you might end up being quarantined somewhere in Europe or somewhere else with the difficulty of finding a way home now that Trump has issued his travel restriction edict.  Plus, if you are not careful and contract the virus, you easily could pass it on to an older person or one who has compromised immunity due to an underlying condition.

I would not advocate for foreign travel nor do I have plans for foreign travel. So I respectfully disagree. I could easily expose someone unwittingly by doing the daily things I described. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mammasan said:

What people don't understand is that there is limited medical care capacity. Where I work we normally run at 101% productivity. I fear that there are already patients not getting the care that they would normally get. People assume that if they get sick and go to a hospital they will get looked after as per normal. That is changing very quickly. During Katrina some workers just gave up, and went home to save their own lives, and look after their families. Drop a few cruise ships full of suspected infected into the middle of somewhere like Seattle where the healthcare systems are already overloaded, and workers are vanishing, and hard, and even brutal decisions are going to be made.

I just got a text from a friend who works at an even bigger hospital to mine where I used to work. She describes it as a 'Sh it storm.'

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Why should anyone quarantine themselves after a cruise if there has been no illness attributed to it? 

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

I would not advocate for foreign travel nor do I have plans for foreign travel. So I respectfully disagree. I could easily expose someone unwittingly by doing the daily things I described. 

It is just that cruise ships tend to be petri dishes for pathogens, such as the Noro virus that pops up on cruise ships quite frequently.  Cruise ship passengers are in close proximity to many other passengers for several days to a few weeks, and at this time, to some who may be carrying the disease.  Medical experts suggest that at this time, everyone should limit their exposure to others, whether in stores, crowds, hospitals, cruise ships, planes, etc., etc.  This behavior can help stop the spread of Covid-19 and the number of deaths from contracting the disease.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

What people don't understand is that there is limited medical care capacity. Where I work we normally run at 101% productivity. I fear that there are already patients not getting the care that they would normally get. People assume that if they get sick and go to a hospital they will get looked after as per normal. That is changing very quickly. During Katrina some workers just gave up, and went home to save their own lives, and look after their families. Drop a few cruise ships full of suspected infected into the middle of somewhere like Seattle where the healthcare systems are already overloaded, and workers are vanishing, and hard, and even brutal decisions are going to be made.

I just got a text from a friend who works at an even bigger hospital to mine where I used to work. She describes it as a 'Sh it storm.'

You are so right!!!  Why some cannot seem to understand the magnitude of this onslaught is beyond me.  Certainly, this virus probably will infect a huge number of people over time, but we need to try to curb the spread of it now, so it won't overwhelm medical facilities.

• Like 6