Matzatlan, Cabo, & Puerto Vallarta recommendations

TEGL

We will be sailing to the Mexican Riviera mid-October.  Looking for recommendations of what to do while there.  We're an adventurous family and will be traveling with our 6yo who is busy and active so hoping to find for things to do that will keep him entertained.  Im having a difficult time finding things that are not sight-seeing/informational tours.  Any input of things for us to check out would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe a beach with water sports/activities?  a facility with waterslides?   a catamaran that is kid friendly?  We have done zip-lines in St. Thomas (we went tandem because he doesn't met weight requirements) but Im not super comfortable with the zip-lines in Mexico.

Any ideas for me to start looking into would be so helpful, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Cabo San Lucas has a "fake" submarine that your son might enjoy. Part of the time is above deck when they go over to the Arch and he would see the sea lion colony there. Then going below decks over by a snorkeling area where they throw tortillas into the water to bring the fish for him to see out the port holes. I think the starboard side is the best below decks for seeing the fish. Port side above decks for the sea lions.

Puerto Vallarta has the Pirate Ship Marigalante that does a pirate show, and beach break.

https://www.pirateshipvallarta.com/

Mazatlan is a little tougher. Maybe a day pass at a resort or just stay on the ship that day. It's a great port for adults but I can't think of any activities for a kid.

• 4 weeks later...

Puerto Valletta has a great island get away. Las Calletas.  Either through the ship or through a private vendor. It is about a 45 minute catamaran ride to and from the island. The food is awesome and I believe open bar. Plenty of activities for a 6 yr old and mon/dad. Be sure to take bug spray. Not positive about during the day, but those tiny sand fleas sure start biting at night.

Padre, I don't think Cabo has the fake semi-submersible any longer -- not for many years.  Have you seen it recently?

Mazatlán, maybe a trip to Stone Island.  They have the banana boats, pony rides, ATVs and other activities there, but I don't know if a 6 year old would be permitted.

In Puerto Vallarta, along the Malecon, there are sand-sculptures and real sculptures, and the Papa____ (?) Fliers.  The kid might like seeing them.  If I remember correctly, although Las Callentas is a great excursion,, it is pretty expensive.  

18 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Padre, I don't think Cabo has the fake semi-submersible any longer -- not for many years.  Have you seen it recently?

I did a little research and TripAdvisor shows reviews as recent as mid 2018 and also Jan 2020. Cabo Expeditions (parent company) has availability starting May 1st although I'm sure that is a pretty soft schedule.

We've been going to Cabo for a week or two every year since 2002 so we don't actually explore Cabo as much as we used to. We pretty much just veg out at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach save for one or two trips to Eden Spa for massages each week + a mandatory lunch at Gardenias for fish taco's.

We actually have our next trip scheduled for mid May but it looks like that will get pushed.

1 hour ago, SDPadreFan said:

I did a little research and TripAdvisor shows reviews as recent as mid 2018 and also Jan 2020. Cabo Expeditions (parent company) has availability starting May 1st although I'm sure that is a pretty soft schedule.

I took the "yellow submarine" semi-submersible at Catalina Island and really enjoyed it.  Much better than those "glass bottomed boats".  I would think the OP's 6 year old would really love this experience.

Mike45, they aren’t going to Catalina. Or were you just saying “any” submersible would be enjoyed by a 6 yr old?  

yes, Las Calletas is a little more expensive, but the original post did not ask for “cheap” excursions.  Only ones her 6 yr old would enjoy. Also, Las Calletas was John Houston’s home and he filmed “Night of the Iguana” there.

Edited by Mrs007

In regard to Puerto Vallarta (where we have lived for the past 14 winters) I would also have no problem recommending the excursion to Las Caletas.  Keep in mind that this should be booked through your cruise line since the local company that operates this tour (and facility) does not accept direct reservations from cruisers.   Vallarta Adventures, who operates the facility and tour, does an excellent job and its an ideal excursion for the whole family who prefers a family outing that includes a beach, food, drink, scenery, etc.   That being said the OP needs to keep in mind that mid-October is still within PV's rainy season which could result in a cancellation of the excursion or, even worse, an excursions to a place that is not great if there is lousy weather.  And then there is also the possible issues related to COVID-19 which currently has PV (and Mexico) shut down.  Will this be an issue in October?  Nobody knows.

Hank

• 1 month later...

I thoroughly enjoyed riding a camel on the beach. Best excursion ever! Thinking of doing it again. 😉 Not sure if there's a height or age requirement. 

And another vote for Las Caletas. 🙂

For Mazatlan, maybe walk the Blue Line to the church? Might use up some of his energy? Then take a pulmonia back to the ship. He may enjoy that.