Cruise Critic Community
travelberlin

Passengers 70 plus need a doctor’s note for USA?

2 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Hi Keith. To clarify, at this time, the president is pushing cruise lines to adopt these guidelines. As things return to normal, however, politicians from Florida may start putting pressure on the administration to drop these provisions so that Florida can return to the job growth the cruise industry provides. 

Hi Mackenzie1, I hear you.  There might be pushback and overtime might go away.

Like most things we'll see how the implementation of this goes.  It might not be as complex as one might think.   I would wait to see what the final language looks like and see how it goes.   

Keith

1 hour ago, skybluewaters said:

This statement implies that a nurse practitioner, or even a registered nurse, could sign the form.  A doctor's appointment would not be needed.  

Most health providers already have outpatient travel clinics where nurses make recommendations regarding vaccinations. This existing mechanism could easily be used for brief telephone appointments in which the nurse reviews your chart and is able to sign the form and email it to you immediately.

The screening of 70+ year old passengers will not be the cause of any harm to the cruise industry.  

Just another layer of inconvenience to the traveler. 

1 hour ago, skybluewaters said:

This statement implies that a nurse practitioner, or even a registered nurse, could sign the form.  A doctor's appointment would not be needed.  

Most health providers already have outpatient travel clinics where nurses make recommendations regarding vaccinations. This existing mechanism could easily be used for brief telephone appointments in which the nurse reviews your chart and is able to sign the form and email it to you immediately.

The screening of 70+ year old passengers will not be the cause of any harm to the cruise industry.  

This is new for me. Can a registered nurse certify that a patient is fit to travel? How does it work? Actually one would expect to have some kind of background information on the person and a medical check up. Otherwise those certificates might end up saying nothing.

Ivi

3 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Where is this the case? I have not experienced this in either NY or FL?  

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Depending on  how it is implemented it might be cumbersome.  However, I believe those who want to cruise will see a doctor.  In the end IMHO  most people will.   I would say what will impact cruises isn't the form but rather the virus and just like 9/11 it took some people time to get over the fear of flying.  Right now some people will have a fear of cruising.  

Cruise lines will want to prove to the public they are doing more and either way the USA government is going to push them in the direction of doing more even if some of it is fluff.    

Most of Crystal's cruises do not start or end in the USA.   If I remember correctly  Symphony doesn't come  to the  USA for quite along time.

I  guess we'll know more soon what exactly  will be implemented.

Keith

Vast majority of doctors are NOT going to sign that form

18 minutes ago, bobwendy05 said:

CORRECT.    The potential liability is too great.    Let alone the TIME issue. 

Expedition style cruising, on small ships, requires a doctor's certificate that you are fit to travel.  I have had three completed by my doctor. 

10 hours ago, bobwendy05 said:

If implemented we will find out.  Until then just speculation.  Time will tell.

I would see in the end what is implemented and if it turned out the vast majority of doctors (again conjecture) then obviously they would reverse or adjust course.  

Keith

15 hours ago, bobwendy05 said:

Do you have any firsthand experience with that form that would make you say that?  That sounds very strange to me.  

Doctors sign these all the time — this has been a prerequisite in other segments of the travel industry and for people with certain conditions for years.  My mother’s doctor signed them for her without blinking.

Vince

23 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Yes, and if it is going to work as it seems they intend, the part from "if the guest..." need to be deleted.  If I am traveling for 6 or 7 days before a voyage, I do not think it is realistic to have to see a doctor the day before I leave home.  The doctor's visit has to be planned and scheduled before I can make pre-cruise plans?  And what if the doctor has to reschedule my last minute appointment?  Would that be a covered reason for insurance coverage?  I seriously doubt it.

Very true and in this day of CYA medicine, you will be referred for additional blood, cardiac stress tests, before any doctor will sign such a note. 

Shame on Crystal..never booking Crystal.  You are still not canceling cruises.  I am sailing now on Oceania going back to Miami.  Stress is very high. Not much of a relaxing cruise.

On 3/15/2020 at 10:54 AM, PaulMCO said:

Very true and in this day of CYA medicine, you will be referred for additional blood, cardiac stress tests, before any doctor will sign such a note. 

Blame the lawyers.🙄

35 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Shame on Crystal..never booking Crystal.  You are still not canceling cruises.  I am sailing now on Oceania going back to Miami.  Stress is very high. Not much of a relaxing cruise.

When you disembark in the USA you will find stress levels high nearly everywhere.

I am amazed at the number of posters who blame Crystal for whatever they’re mad at, say they’ll never sail on Crystal again, and how worried they are about Crystal’s long term financial health. It is what it is.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Shame on what?  I'm not sure if you read the updates, but Crystal has cancelled MANY cruises.  Are we mad because Crystal didn't yet cancel a cruise on a particular date that another cruise line may have cancelled a cruise for? 

If so, then I feel like most of America (and much of the world) has bigger problems than that right now and may not feel much sympathy for a date-specific cancellation inequity.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

The form is also required for RCL lines. There has been much discussion of the policy on the Celebrity board. I see this as only a protection to avoid legal action if there is corona virus outbreak on a ship. It will do nothing to prevent disease on the ship. People under 70 have contacted the virus and they are not required to see a doctor prior to embarkation. Some doctors will simply sign the form as a "favor" to patients. There is no time requirement and someone can have the form signed and be a carrier before they board. I wouldn't cruise with this stipulation in place since the mere requirement indicates that the ship is unhealthy. A screening at the time of boarding to ALL passengers would be time consuming, but more likely effective. 

1 hour ago, Life Buoy said:

I see this as only a protection to avoid legal action if there is corona virus outbreak on a ship.

I wouldn't cruise with this stipulation in place since the mere requirement indicates that the ship is unhealthy.

So, which is it?  First you say it's just a legal formality to "protect" the cruiseline.  Then you say that it is evidence of an unhealthy ship environment.

Personally, I view it as a way to try and keep folks who are generally unhealthy from boarding the ship.  We've all been on cruises where we wonder "how come that person is traveling away from their hospital?"

11 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

So, which is it?  First you say it's just a legal formality to "protect" the cruiseline.  Then you say that it is evidence of an unhealthy ship environment.

Personally, I view it as a way to try and keep folks who are generally unhealthy from boarding the ship.  We've all been on cruises where we wonder "how come that person is traveling away from their hospital?"

The two points are not mutually exclusive. The form only serves to protect the cruise line and not the passengers for reasons stated by others. I will not cruise any line so long as they believe that they need this protection

Posted (edited)

The two points are not mutually exclusive. The form only serves to protect the cruise line and not the passengers for reasons stated by others. I will not cruise any line so long as they believe that they need this protection

So I guess that when you were told to fill out the norovirus screening form, you turned around and didn't board the ship?

This type of clearance is something that probably should have been in place for years.   Cruise ships boarded just about anyone, and this may start to restrict those who shouldn't travel from being on a ship.

Edited by FlyerTalker

19 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

So I guess that when you were told to fill out the norovirus screening form, you turned around and didn't board the ship?

This type of clearance is something that probably should have been in place for years.   Cruise ships boarded just about anyone, and this may start to restrict those who shouldn't travel from being on a ship.

There were major differences in the two forms: (1)  Norovirus form was filled out at the time you boarded, the corona virus from can be filled in far in advance to boarding; (2) The noro form did not require a Drs signature, the corona virus form does; The noro form was dropped by most lines a long time ago. We have a serious problem and how the cruise lines react may affect their future. 

3 hours ago, Life Buoy said:

The form is also required for RCL lines. There has been much discussion of the policy on the Celebrity board. I see this as only a protection to avoid legal action if there is corona virus outbreak on a ship. It will do nothing to prevent disease on the ship. People under 70 have contacted the virus and they are not required to see a doctor prior to embarkation. Some doctors will simply sign the form as a "favor" to patients. There is no time requirement and someone can have the form signed and be a carrier before they board. I wouldn't cruise with this stipulation in place since the mere requirement indicates that the ship is unhealthy. A screening at the time of boarding to ALL passengers would be time consuming, but more likely effective. 

But none of the RCL lines are sailing, having like all other cruise lines cancelled their sailings for some time.  So, where are they requiring this form?

Ivi

2 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

But none of the RCL lines are sailing, having like all other cruise lines cancelled their sailings for some time.  So, where are they requiring this form?

Ivi

Just read their homepage or the thread on Cruise Critic. The form will be required on future cruises until it's lifted. I have Edge cruises on April 14th and April 19th. They are not cancelled at this time and require the note. I am planning to cancel these cruises and waiting for Celebrity to cancel so I can get extra FCC. Okay, I'm cheap! Under their program I can cancel within 48 hours of the cruise and get a 100% refund. I plan to do that if they don't cancel, not because I object to the form but because I feel that the risk is not worth the reward. I can always take another cruise or two. 

On 3/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, Life Buoy said:

Have fun with that.  Of course that’s what’s these forms are for — when a cruise line’s insurers and risk managers identify that they need to establish a baseline of fitness for the passengers, this is the type of form/requirement that they have historically always whipped out.  This is not a new requirement at all, just new to that segment.  

You’re more than welcome to boycott those cruises, as you were for the other segments/services/suppliers that have always used the fitness to travel qualification.  Personally, I’d just get the form signed, as I’ve had to do for relatives before, but that’s just me.

Vince

Definitely age discrimination.  Whilst I've already had a few Doctor's Certificates certifying I was fit to travel, these were for "adventure cruises" on small ships.  To be asked for a Doctor's Certificate certifying I was fit to travel on a big ship, means I'm too mentally young to cruise on that ship - end of story!  

When I did my first cruise from Sydney to Southhampton, as a young girl, I travelled in a 4 berth cabin with 3 old ladies.  After my initial shock, I realised I'd won the lottery.  These ladies let me use the bathroom first (you need time to get ready, luv), taught me how to get up on the top bunk, shared their valuable wisdom and travel experiences.  The eldest was the first off the ship at every port and last back on board.