RCCL requires Drs, note

Just received an RCCL email at 10 pm for all passengers 70 & over will not be allowed to board unless they have a form from their Dr. stating they are well enough to travel.  Good luck getting a Drs.appointment on such short notice.  I guess we'll be cancelling or maybe wait for them to cancel all their cruises.  Good Bye RCCL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Good luck getting a Dr to sign the form they came up with.  

They are only asking the doctors to certify that you don't have the stated illnesses. Not that you will not get sick. There is no liability to the doctor (unless they lie). As for those of you that are "outraged" Did you ever apply for a life insurance policy?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rt1092 said:

They are only asking the doctors to certify that you don't have the stated illnesses. Not that you will not get sick. There is no liability to the doctor (unless they lie). As for those of you that are "outraged" Did you ever apply for a life insurance policy?

Nope, and this after the fact requiring a last minute doctors note, not me.

Once this cruise is over I wouldnt be cruising again until its removed. Not worth it to me to have to get on terms with a doctor (which I dont have presently) to cruise, nope nope nope.

I'm with op, I'll be done until this note garbage goes away. 

Praying they dont cancel my cruise, and then I can walk away and not have to worry about rebooking.

I'm not cancelling if rcl does, refund time and bye bye for a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Nope, and this after the fact requiring a last minute doctors note, not me.

Once this cruise is over I wouldnt be cruising again until its removed. Not worth it to me to have to get on terms with a doctor (which I dont have presently) to cruise, nope nope nope.

I'm with op, I'll be done until this note garbage goes away. 

Praying they dont cancel my cruise, and then I can walk away and not have to worry about rebooking.

I'm not cancelling if rcl does, refund time and bye bye for a while.

That is entirely up to you. But you must be super-human. To be over 70 and not have a doctor.

• Like 1

I have a question about this doctor note.  Does this mean you can't cruise if you have diabetes or serious complications from diabetes?  Can I cruise if I have diabetes but no heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency chronic illness because of diabetes?

13 minutes ago, PTAngel said:

I have a question about this doctor note.  Does this mean you can't cruise if you have diabetes or serious complications from diabetes?  Can I cruise if I have diabetes but no heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency chronic illness because of diabetes?

Do you have immunodeficiency due to the diabetes? I would think that if your blood sugar is under control, a doctor will sign off on it . But I'm not a doctor.

It is foolishness and none of their business. If your doctor attests (if needed) that you are fit to travel, that is all that is should be necessary. And it is a vacation, not life insurance. And I think that soon it will be a moot point anyway. What is Holland America going to do? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coralc said:

It is foolishness and none of their business. If you doctor attests that you are fit to travel, that is all that is necessary. And it is a vacation, not life insurance. And I think that soon it will be a moot point anyway. 

Agree.  Hope you are correct that this doctor note requirement will not become permanent.

B34C44BE-F0CE-46FF-AAF0-FBAC0E694D44.png.4a91cbfc06c294ca89e443536cdbf2b6.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, extramom said:

Just received an RCCL email at 10 pm for all passengers 70 & over will not be allowed to board unless they have a form from their Dr. stating they are well enough to travel.  Good luck getting a Drs.appointment on such short notice.  I guess we'll be cancelling or maybe wait for them to cancel all their cruises.  Good Bye RCCL

Bye Karen

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here in the UK from today the Government have announced that over 70s with an underlying condition (be pretty lucky to be over 70 and not have at least one) should not cruise.  Some lines are automatically refunding based on this but as it’s government advice most travel insurance policies would kick in and pay out now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rt1092 said:

That is entirely up to you. But you must be super-human. To be over 70 and not have a doctor.

Here, hardly anyone has "a doctor." Especially in the big towns and cities. You go to the GP when you're sick and you see a random doctor. That's it. No annual check-ups, no specific doctor. You'll be lucky if you see the same doctor twice! I dread to think how we'd go about getting a doctor's note here!

• Like 1

Do Doctors have a form they just fill out - kind of like a kid going back to school?  Or is Royal supplying the form?  And do we have to get a note for every cruise taken in a year?    This really makes no sense to me. And if you are cruising in a week or two, as I would have been if not cancelled, how do you get a note if you are already on your way to the port?

So many questions!

• Like 1

My feelings are their request is in violation of the HIPPA Act

My health is none of their business, and against the law to provide them documentation regarding my health

Whats next? Hotels..Airlines

https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/formsandpubs/laws/hipaa/Pages/1.00WhatisHIPAA.aspx

I happen to have one or more of the illnesses listed to deny boarding, the problem I have is if their denying me boarding, there going to dictate what form of compensation Ill receive?

The exact same sailing next year, same month, category is $1400 more that the Future Cruise Credit they want me to receive. Give me a refund and I'll decide

BullShit !!!

Edited by Greyfox50
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Greyfox50 said:

My feelings are their request is in violation of the HIPPA Act

My health is none of their business, and against the law to provide them documentation regarding my health

Whats next? Hotels..Airlines

https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/formsandpubs/laws/hipaa/Pages/1.00WhatisHIPAA.aspx

It is their business as they need to ensure the health and protection of you, their employees, and other passengers. 

Your probably the type of person who cries that it’s none of their business but would then sue them if you got sick because they did not inform you or protect you from the virus. 

In other terms get over yourself and move on. 

• Like 6

I am due to cruise May 11.  I have plenty of time to go the doctor.  In fact, I already have an appointment the end of April.  I'll just move that to the following week & I'll be fine.  

My issue is if I cancel & get the FCC, will it be enough to book another cruise?  I got an unbelievable deal on this cruise.  If I wait & let them cancel I might get enough back to pay for another cruise.  With their new policy of cancel within 46 hours I feel pretty safe in getting my money back one way or another without insurance.  For the first time I didn't get it & it is too late now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rynerson27 said:

It is their business as they need to ensure the health and protection of you, their employees, and other passengers. 

Your probably the type of person who cries that it’s none of their business but would then sue them if you got sick because they did not inform you or protect you from the virus. 

In other terms get over yourself and move on. 

Im going to assume you know how to read

My quarrel is I want back the same form of payment I gave to RCL

I had every intention of cancelling my May cruise, due to health concerns, and no I would not take the chance of sailing and then point fingers, to blame anyone but myself

• Like 2

About four  months after my husband died three years ago, I called my doctor and asked if I could have an letter saying I was too distraught to attend jury duty.  He wanted me to come in for an appt. and "talk" about my feelings before issuing me a jury exemption, it was the practice that was strict about such matters, not him.

He said it was  a very "serious" matter to do such a thing.  I said forget it and went to the jury pool and was released early.

I won't even attempt to ask them to sign a note saying saying I am healthy, even though I am.  I have controlled hypertension, no  heart disease, diabetes, lung disease or any other health issue.

I will wait until RCL halts cruises and get a refund and probably will not cruise again.

Edited by Judyrem
  • Like 1

I’m over 70 and do not have a regular doctor. No flames, I do plan to get one. Anyway, when I had my hip replaced a few years ago I needed a doctor to sign off on the hospital’s pre-surgery form. I just went to one of those urgent care walk-in places where they did an exam and signed off on the papers. Easy, peasy.