RCCL requires Drs, note

The doctors note is like a hot potato of liability; the cruise line is trying to ironclad themselves against any claims in the future.  

The bottom line is over or under 70, when they resume sailing the first ship of any cruise line that has a single Covid-19 passenger is going to bring the industry to another grinding halt.  Getting you to disclaim liability is one thing; being able to do something during an outbreak is another.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

The doctors note is like a hot potato of liability; the cruise line is trying to ironclad themselves against any claims in the future.  

The bottom line is over or under 70, when they resume sailing the first ship of any cruise line that has a single Covid-19 passenger is going to bring the industry to another grinding halt.  Getting you to disclaim liability is one thing; being able to do something during an outbreak is another.  

And it all makes the note worthless. One could be infected but symptom free when seeing the doctor. One could pick up the virus after seeing the doctor. Thousands of people travel from all over to get to the same ship. They take different flights and transit a myriad of different airports being exposed to thousands of people in the 24-48 hours before boarding the ship.

If the true intent of the note is to keep Corona off of the ships then the note isn't worth the cost if the paper that it is written on.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

And it all makes the note worthless. One could be infected but symptom free when seeing the doctor. One could pick up the virus after seeing the doctor. Thousands of people travel from all over to get to the same ship. They take different flights and transit a myriad of different airports being exposed to thousands of people in the 24-48 hours before boarding the ship.

If the true intent of the note is to keep Corona off of the ships then the note isn't worth the cost if the paper that it is written on.

Right. The note is just a thing, a public performance, to show they did something but really it won't change an outcome. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Right. The note is just a thing, a public performance, to show they did something but really it won't change an outcome. 

RC didn't come up with these guidelines on their own they were taking "guidance" from government agencies who are no doubt not just looking out for the public's interest  they also have an interest in looking like they are doing something.

To comply with guidance from CDC, WHO, public health authorities around the world, and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), we are enhancing our rigorous global boarding and screening measures to protect our guests and crew. These measures are intentionally conservative and apply to anyone boarding our ships, guests and crew alike. We apologize for the inconvenience created by these precautionary measures.

Edited by Captain Billy Bob
  • Like 2

It figures that doctors and lawyers would create

the requirement for a 'letter'.

But, hold on for a reality check: If you don't have the flu,

the last place  you want to go is a doctor's office,

or a hospital (to get a 'note' signed) ....

that is where the sick people go.

Think about it.

• Like 4

Maybe Dr. Oz will sign my clearance? 

Perhaps proof of a prescription for hydroxychloroquine will suffice?

How about if I attest that I will drink at least two vodka tonics each day aboard ship? I seem to recall that quinine cures malaria as does the above drug so couldn't just drinking tonic (with gin or vodka added) work as well?

Edited by TMLAalum
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

How about if I attest that I will drink at least two vodka tonics each day aboard ship?

Maybe if we promise to wear a mask the whole cruise?

PS I was actually thinking of asking for a prescription and taking it prior to boarding if that made the doctor sign the note.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

RC didn't come up with these guidelines on their own they were taking "guidance" from government agencies who are no doubt not just looking out for the public's interest  they also have an interest in looking like they are doing something.

To comply with guidance from CDC, WHO, public health authorities around the world, and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), we are enhancing our rigorous global boarding and screening measures to protect our guests and crew. These measures are intentionally conservative and apply to anyone boarding our ships, guests and crew alike. We apologize for the inconvenience created by these precautionary measures.

It doesn't matter what the source of the note is, at the end of the day it's just a "thing". It can't change an outcome. People that know they have an underlying condition...a note won't change that. A note can't guarantee anything.  That was my point. 

20 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

How about if I attest that I will drink at least two vodka tonics each day aboard ship? I seem to recall that quinine cures malaria as does the above drug so couldn't just drinking tonic (with gin or vodka added) work as well?

13 minutes ago, RedSails1968 said:

I think they took the quinine out of tonic water!

Yes, very very little ( if any) quinine in tonic water.
I will have to ask my doctor if these NOVA-QUININE Capsules will work to lesson the possibility of getting the virus and/reduce the symptoms of virus if you get it.  A few years back, my doctor prescribed these capsules to get rid of severe leg cramps.  These capsules work great (numerous other over the counter remedies did not work).D67E6E26-8689-4886-83C0-D5B75EE908D2.thumb.jpeg.acdef6775e90a14f67849e4859773f4c.jpeg

9 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

It doesn't matter what the source of the note is, at the end of the day it's just a "thing". It can't change an outcome. People that know they have an underlying condition...a note won't change that. A note can't guarantee anything.  That was my point. 

I agree

I think the point is, if your over 70 and have health issues your much more at risk of having an adverse outcome from the virus. I see a lot of posts that are not getting to the point, the older you are, with underlying conditions your at greater risk. Take care of yourself, a cruise ship out at sea is not the place to be if your a high risk person, note or no note.

Edited by seekatz
miss spelled
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The note just addresses whether you have any chronic health condition such as heart lung liver or kidney disease or immunodefficiency status due to HIV/AIDS  or diabetes, which would make this person susceptible to complications arising from infection with Covid19.  I attest that this person is fit to travel on cruise vacation.

It is not asking for a statement certifying you are currently free of infection. 

This is going to bar an awful lot of people from cruising, isn't it? If you have hypertension stay home.... 

9 minutes ago, seekatz said:

I think the point is, if your over 70 and have health issues your much more at risk of having an adverse outcome from the virus. I see a lot of posts that are not getting to the point, the older you are, with underlying conditions your at greater risk. Take care of yourself, a cruise ship out at sea is not the place to be if your a high risk person, note or no note.

I dont have underlying conditions is my pt. Why assume this is about only people with health issues. What about us healthy folks turning 70 soon.

I still want to know how rcl will verify doctors signatures are real. Maybe a fake signature is ok, as it takes them off the hook.

33 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've  got a stupid question. How would rcl know if the doctors signature was a real doctor or valid?

Couldnt anyone sign? Just curious how they know a real doctor signed. 

I would think that they would not know if it was  a real doctor or note.

48 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've  got a stupid question. How would rcl know if the doctors signature was a real doctor or valid?

Couldnt anyone sign? Just curious how they know a real doctor signed. 

I'm sure it's already mentioned in this thread, but Royal Caribbean doesn't really care if it's real or not. 

If it's real, great. 

If it's not real, you (or your family) won't win any lawsuit against the cruise line for a virus-related incident. After all, the doctor's signature was forged indicating the status of your health.

Edited by MLBFan24
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MLBFan24 said:

I'm sure it's already mentioned in this thread, but Royal Caribbean doesn't really care if it's real or not. 

If it's real, great. 

If it's not real, you (or your family) won't win any lawsuit against the cruise line for a virus-related incident. After all, you fabricated the doctor's signature indicating the status of your health.

Thanks, I havent read thru this whole thread, it's pretty long sorry.

I probably havent seen a doctor in 2 years. My last 2 gp s quit, and its past time to transfer any records. How could any doctor know about my kidneys etc since they dont know my history and its inaccessible at this pt.

I just dont see finding a new gp who will sign such a note. Sounds impossible to me. I'll try going in october before my final payment, I'm just dubious a real doctor would sign off on me without prior records. ... that's if I can get in the see a gp or get a new gp in these times.

Just now, firefly333 said:

I probably havent seen a doctor in 2 years. My last 2 gp s quit, and its past time to transfer any records. How could any doctor know about my kidneys etc since they dont know my history and its inaccessible at this pt.

I just dont see finding a new gp who will sign such a note. Sounds impossible to me. I'll try going in october before my final payment, I'm just dubious a real doctor would sign off on me without prior records. ... that's if I can get in the see a gp or get a new gp in these times.

You will probably need to go in for a complete physical ahead of time. 

4 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

You will probably need to go in for a complete physical ahead of time. 

Even a complete physical, I'm not sure he can say I dont have a problem with my kidneys or something. I don't know blood work would tell him enough to sign off, which is why I'm worried.

As in what you quoted above, I said im going to try and get into a new gp, maybe by october. When things die down. ... They would require a complete blood work up im sure, maybe do balance tests and such. I'll try but not sure a new doctor will say all those things are ok. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one worried a doctor will sign that note. Yes I said I'll try, but worried.

3 hours ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

Really not much to do with protecting passengers and crew - these are CYA maneuvers, meant to shift liability from cruiseline to Physician.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

Really not much to do with protecting passengers and crew - these are CYA maneuvers, meant to shift liability from cruiseline to Physician.   

"RC didn't come up with these guidelines on their own they were taking "guidance" from government agencies who are no doubt not just looking out for the public's interest  they also have an interest in looking like they are doing something.

To comply with guidance from CDC, WHO, public health authorities around the world, and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), we are enhancing our rigorous global boarding and screening measures to protect our guests and crew. These measures are intentionally conservative and apply to anyone boarding our ships, guests and crew alike. We apologize for the inconvenience created by these precautionary measures"

41 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Kids need doctors notes all the time for things like sports and camps. You can get them done at many CVS's or local emergency-room-alternatives. The key for these is (1) there is a well established criteria and (2) the criteria covers things that can be checked in a quick visit by any generalist. 

If the old-people-cruise note just requires someone to take your blood pressure, listen to your heart and lungs, check your lymph nodes an ask some questions, it could work fairly easily. But all that needs to be clarified. 

Personally, I'm a doom and gloomer. I hope I'm wrong about where things are going and everyone can mock me when my predictions don't come true. I think we are going to see big changes that will increase the cost and hassle of cruising. I can see requirements for everybody to get a full checkup including blood work before being allowed on a cruise. But again, it all has to be clearly defined. We'll see.