RCCL requires Drs, note

Requesting clarification of Dr.s Note

The first paragraph of the letter talking about the need for the note indicates that it's for passengers over 70 ONLY.

The second paragraph seems to indicate that this signed note might also be for ALL passengers who might be immunosuppressed to include passengers with HIV/AIDS or diabetes.

So, just to clarify, is this note needed by everyone? or just those over 70?  (I would also appreciate knowing whether this is just your interpretation or if you actually spoke to someone from Royal or your TA spoke to someone from Royal)

Hello,

Reading the letter *very slowly* it does not appear to be making, say, diabetes alone a reason to refuse boarding.

It's whether either HIV/AIDS or diabetes have caused a chronic illness such as heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency which would make...........

So if you have, say, diabetes type 2 and no other problems, that seems to be the end of the story.

Regards,

Cublet

18 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Requesting clarification of Dr.s Note

The first paragraph of the letter talking about the need for the note indicates that it's for passengers over 70 ONLY.

The second paragraph seems to indicate that this signed note might also be for ALL passengers who might be immunosuppressed to include passengers with HIV/AIDS or diabetes.

So, just to clarify, is this note needed by everyone? or just those over 70?  (I would also appreciate knowing whether this is just your interpretation or if you actually spoke to someone from Royal or your TA spoke to someone from Royal)

Hello,

From the RCI website@

COVID-19 presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions.  Therefore, effective Monday, March 16:

a.  Boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

b. Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Regards,

Cublet

Well, this is a sticky wicket.   We won't be cruising till Sept. but thinking ahead if this is requirement is still in place.  Wouldn't this sign-off be putting doctors in difficult position?  What if they sign off & something happens while on the cruise?

Also, my husband has stents - would this be considered a heart condition? 

Here in Toronto, most doctors charge for filling out/signing medical forms unless you pre-pay an annual fee for these type of services.

NJ 

3 hours ago, gerif said:

I’m over 70 and do not have a regular doctor. No flames, I do plan to get one. Anyway, when I had my hip replaced a few years ago I needed a doctor to sign off on the hospital’s pre-surgery form. I just went to one of those urgent care walk-in places where they did an exam and signed off on the papers. Easy, peasy. 

Did they do a blood test?  It could take a few days to get that back.

3 minutes ago, mpk said:

Did they do a blood test?  It could take a few days to get that back.

To be perfectly honest I can’t recall but believe they did. I know I had to go back a couple of days later to get the form. 

it doesn't mention how close to sailing date, we were fortunately able to get an appt but it will be a day less than 3 weeks of sailing.  We couldn't get one closer to sailing.  Hoping they don't make it too difficult since they are mostly asking about long running conditions, not something you'd suddenly come down with.  

25 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

From the RCI website@

COVID-19 presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions.  Therefore, effective Monday, March 16:

a.  Boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

b. Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Regards,

Cublet

So obviously they have your age and can monitor if you are over 70, but wouldn't it be easy to just lie (not saying I would) if you are under 70 and have one of the conditions listed?  I guess at that point a passenger would not be able to blame the cruise line if they get sick due to an underlying condition because they had falsified information.  It just seems impossible for the cruise lines to manage all of this.  

Still have my fingers crossed that we will be in a better place and my April 19th sailing will be good to go! 

4 minutes ago, Jam0610 said:

So sad. Doctor strongly recommends I do not cruise. Feels uncomfortable due to my age ( 71) and heart problems.

Will still hold on to our Alaska reservation in July. Hope for the best.

That's too bad.  The letter really puts doctor's in a difficult position.  Even if you think you're ok to go - you're relying on your doc's opinion.  He may be personally adverse to risk too.  My husband had six stents in 2016 & is fine.  But would this mean his doc. would say he shouldn't cruise?  

NJ 

9 minutes ago, Jam0610 said:

So sad. Doctor strongly recommends I do not cruise. Feels uncomfortable due to my age ( 71) and heart problems.

Will still hold on to our Alaska reservation in July. Hope for the best.

Understand the disappointment, but after looking at this website, I can understand your Dr's concerns.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

• Like 1

Who, exactly, does RCI think has been filling up its ships? I don't think I have ever been on a cruise without an Alpha or two being called and we read plenty about med evacs on these boards. There are LOADS of people with chronic medical conditions on these ships that decompensate for any number of reasons when on a cruise. It doesn't take Corona virus to do it. I don't take care of many 70+ year olds that don't have some chronic medical condition that COULD possibly rear its head on a cruise and I would think long and hard about signing my name on a piece of paper.

• Like 4

It's not a very well thought out form. Note no space for printed name and address of doctor, medical registration number, etc. What’s to stop anyone from scribbling a signature and adding M.D. after it?? 

Except for seeing if you have a temperature at boarding, everything is based on a person being honest and telling the truth. Yes....some will....but there are a lot who won't.

• Like 1

Seriously, the number of people displaying angst over this amazes me.

This is a PANDEMIC, it is not a joke.

So far, data has indicated that older people (>70) and/or those with n underlying medical condition that compromises immunity are at greater risk to have severe complications if they contract coved-19.  Please note that men and smokers are also at greater risk of having complications.

If Royal or any other cruise lines put in place restrictions to decrease the possibility of spread and transmission of the virus, they are doing what they need to both ethically and from a business perspective.

if you fall in one of these groups, please be patient.  Chill, stay away from others and wait a few months until this thing is contained.  A few months without cruising won’t kill you, but putting yourself in a situation where you can be exposed can potentially do so.

The only caveat to this would be, if the cruise line cancels/denies your booking, they should fully refund your ticket and not give a FCC.

Let’s hope this all resolves itself soon.

If the cruise lines are doing what was in the CLIA proposal to the government, you would think CLIA and the lines could agree on one form.  What I am seeing is different forms from each Cruise line, e.g., Royal and Celebrity.  Different forms just puts more onus on the doctors and their patients.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Who, exactly, does RCI think has been filling up its ships? I don't think I have ever been on a cruise without an Alpha or two being called and we read plenty about med evacs on these boards. There are LOADS of people with chronic medical conditions on these ships that decompensate for any number of reasons when on a cruise. It doesn't take Corona virus to do it. I don't take care of many 70+ year olds that don't have some chronic medical condition that COULD possibly rear its head on a cruise and I would think long and hard about signing my name on a piece of paper.

It's not Royal, All the major lines now have this policy.  It was part of CLIA’s submission to the government. Guess only other option cover all with Chronic issues is have every Cruiser all ages get Dr's note, but that aint going happen... Agree though, only Cruise longer 10+ niters and Repos. Me at 54 one of youngest on board,  some these Cruises having 3-6+ Emergencies is not uncommon

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

It's not Royal, All the major lines now have this policy.  It was part of CLIA’s submission to the government. Guess only other option cover all with Chronic issues is have every Cruiser all ages get Dr's note, but that aint going happen

I realize it is all the cruise lines and not just RCI. My point was it is pretty impossible to know that someone with a chronic issue won't run into a problem while on a cruise for whatever reason. And I would be hard pressed to put my name on a piece of paper stating otherwise.

RI governor just decreed that anyone who travels out of the country needs to self quarantine for two weeks when tbey get back.

I suspect tbere won't be many Rhode Islanders on cruise ships for the next few weeks.

My wife is 52 and diabetic.

She called Royal for clarification on the Dr's letter issue.

Royal told her that with or without letter, she would be denied boarding and turned away. That is the new guidance that the customer service team received this morning.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

My wife is 52 and diabetic.

She called Royal for clarification on the Dr's letter issue.

Royal told her that with or without letter, she would be denied boarding and turned away. That is the new guidance that the customer service team received this morning.

How are they going to know if your wife is diabetic?  If she's not over 70, she doesn't need a Dr's note.  🍷