RCCL requires Drs, note

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

How are they going to know if your wife is diabetic?  If she's not over 70, she doesn't need a Dr's note.  🍷

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Maybe I'll reconsider signing the forms after all.

The sharps container might be a clue 

19 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I think they are going to cancel everything.  I must say 13.5 years from joining to first post is hugely impressive.  

I used to stay at the Saratoga Downtowner! 

Perhaps the OP just types vvvvvvery slowly. 

8 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

there are a lot of people(myself included) that don't have a doctor. There is a major shortage of doctors in Ontario, Canada

I guess free isn't always the best.

• Like 1

I think it is very unfair to require this.  My husband will get the form signed by his doctor, but I think it is nuts to think only people over 70 are prone to sickness.  Just plan stupid in my opinion.  He is healthier than many 20 year olds, so why don't they make every single person supply the note???? Talk about discrimination.  You are over 70 so by age you are going to infect someone.  Really????????????????????????????????

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I think it is very unfair to require this.  My husband will get the form signed by his doctor, but I think it is nuts to think only people over 70 are prone to sickness.  Just plan stupid in my opinion.  He is healthier than many 20 year olds, so why don't they make every single person supply the note???? Talk about discrimination.  You are over 70 so by age you are going to infect someone.  Really????????????????????????????????

It’s not about infecting anyone. It’s older people are more likely to have more severe complications to this virus. 

• Like 1

Just now, BeachChik said:

It’s not about infecting anyone. It’s older people are more likely to have more severe complications to this virus. 

Still think it is unfair.  Many older people are in better health than people 1/2 their age.  To single them out is just plain wrong in my opinion.  Like I said, we will get the note, just don't agree with it at all.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, rt1092 said:

Another reason to vote down Medicare For All.  Personally know doctors who gave up practice due to paperwork overload from Medicare and no time for their patients and family.

Have a cruise in April and in June booked so guess since I am over 80 there is no hope for me to cruise.  Wonder what we are supposed to do besides sit in our homes and look out the window and watch the grass grow.  Cruising was one fun thing left in the lives of many, many people.  No way I could get any of my doctors to sign that form thus what good will a future cruise credit do for me?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rt1092 said:

Shortage of doctors in Ontario?  Don't know where this poster lives in Ontario or circumstances why poster does not have a doctor.  But that is a blanket statement.  There are many clinics available throughout Ontario where a doctor has family practice and is also a walk in clinic.  Hate to see this myth get put out there about the Canadian Health care system.

And our health care is not "free".  That is just not true.  We pay for our basic health care out of our own taxes or payroll deductions.  Our system has been set up this way since 1967.  

NJ 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, karena1 said:

Still think it is unfair.  Many older people are in better health than people 1/2 their age.  To single them out is just plain wrong in my opinion.  Like I said, we will get the note, just don't agree with it at all.

Doesn't matter what you think. Physiologically 70 year olds as a group are at far greater risk. There are exeptions, for sure, but they had to draw an arbitrary line in the sand.   No different than voting age is 18, drinking age is 21, age of consent is (most states) 15, you get Medicare at 65. 

• Like 1

This is not something the cruise lines wanted to do.

Trump stated he wanted to now allow the Grand Princess to come dock in the US and make "his" numbers look bad.

Trump tweeted the he shut down the cruise ships for 30 days.

He has said the he want the cruise lines to pay for any evacuations and quarantines.

I am pretty sure he is the one that required the limitations on those over 70.

The requirements for those over 70 will probably go away after the crisis.

3 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Doesn't matter what you think. Physiologically 70 year olds as a group are at far greater risk.  

And this has been true since cruising started and before Coronavirus.  Why not make them do it for every cruise forever?  Most all the medical emergencies and deaths unboard have been from this age group.  Perhaps they could also have a note from their funeral home requesting burial at sea.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Traveling with syringes might be a give a way.

Hello,

This is what confuses me.

The advice from the US CDC is against people with diabetes travelling. However the advice from the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office is that people with diabetes taking insulin or tablets, eg metformin, should not travel (on cruises). There is no mention of people with diabetes either saying 'I don't care' and do nothing or those managing their condition successfully  through diet.

To me, the logic to this is that, as far as the UK is concerned, it's not the diabetes condition that's the issue, it's the medication itself.

If that is the case, I'm prepared to bet that subtlety would be lost on the poor junior muppet at the check-in that is just following a script.

Regards,

Cublet

Edited by cublet
sense, lack of
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

The advice from the US CDC is against people with diabetes travelling. However the advice from the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office is that people with diabetes taking insulin or tablets, eg metformin, should not travel (on cruises). There is no mention of people with diabetes either saying 'I don't care' and do nothing or those managing their condition successfully  through diet.

To me, the logic to this is that, as far as the UK is concerned, it's not the diabetes condition that's the issue, it's the medication itself.

If that is the case, I'm prepared to bet that subtlety would be lost on the poor junior muppet at the check-in that is just following a script.

Regards,

Cublet

The medication is not the issue. It is very much the disease. There is a huge difference in the disease process betwern type I and type II diabetes and how they are treated  which I just cannot get into here on a cruise site. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Regards,

Cublet

Just to clarify your post,type one diabetes is not controlled by diet. Pancreas doesnt work at all and never will. No fault of the person at all. Type 2 diabetes can be diet controlled but is brought on by poor diet,obesity etc. The 2 types of diabetes are unrelated and share nothing. Im type 1... most are infected as children in type 1.....

22 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Just to clarify your post,type one diabetes is not controlled by diet. Pancreas doesnt work at all and never will. No fault of the person at all. Type 2 diabetes can be diet controlled but is brought on by poor diet,obesity etc. The 2 types of diabetes are unrelated and share nothing. Im type 1... most are infected as children in type 1.....

Hello,

Yes I know the difference between type 1 & 2 diabetes and treatments.

You are missing the point that I was making.

The UK Govt in its press release is not suggesting that people with diabetes should not travel, it is saying that people taking diabetes medicine, either insulin or tablets, should not travel. Therefore what is left are people with diabetes but not taking medication (either it is under control through diet or they plain don't care) who are therefore free to travel. That being the case, whether by error or omission, the UK Govt is saying, implicitly, either it's the medication that's the issue and not the condition, or diabetes controlled by diet isn't diabetes.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

This is not something the cruise lines wanted to do.

Trump stated he wanted to now allow the Grand Princess to come dock in the US and make "his" numbers look bad.

Trump tweeted the he shut down the cruise ships for 30 days.

He has said the he want the cruise lines to pay for any evacuations and quarantines.

I am pretty sure he is the one that required the limitations on those over 70.

The requirements for those over 70 will probably go away after the crisis.

And you know this how?

17 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Another reason to vote down Medicare For All.  Personally know doctors who gave up practice due to paperwork overload from Medicare and no time for their patients and family.

Have a cruise in April and in June booked so guess since I am over 80 there is no hope for me to cruise.  Wonder what we are supposed to do besides sit in our homes and look out the window and watch the grass grow.

I'm 69, and until this note requirement is gone, after the cruise I now have booked the monies spent, however it goes.. I'm done.

I'm a victim of doctors quitting because of the computers and extra paperwork  and added insurance. I currently have no doctor, and other than going in for a check up, which I'd rather not until the virus is over ... not calling to get a new doctor. One doctor moved, the next 2 doctors quit. .. and I dont live in Ontario.

Sorry to hear you got hit by this note stuff. I think it's because princess got hit by 5 lawsuits last I heard. It's to protect them, not you.

17 hours ago, karena1 said:

boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.”

Per the web site, they planned to deny boarding to people of all ages with such medical conditions.  So, if one has such a condition and is under age 70, one would have to lie to get on board, probably signing a written health form or answering specific health questions.  If over age 70, one is also required to submit a form with a line that says “physician’s signature”.  

No doubt some people under 70 will lie; we know people sometimes lie to get what they want.  Highly determined, like minded people over 70 may be forced to also scrawl on the physician’s signature line in addition to the in person lie at the port.  Given the higher death rates for those over 70, good at least they will have to think about it at least twice.

2 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

Following various news reports from several different sources.

The items atributed to Trump are all on video.

While it's TRUE trump wanted cruises to stop.

I'd bet money the note from your doctor is to protect the cruiselines, not trump... how much you want to wager? I get it you hate him. Politics have no place on boards other than to antagonize others.

Ncl put the policy in place first and carnival and rcl followed the next day .... because it protects them from later lawsuits. cya type of thing. Princess lawsuits adding to the cya mentality. 

My worry is the cruiselines dont remove this letter after the virus has run its course. 

• Like 1