RCCL requires Drs, note

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

My worry is the cruiselines dont remove this letter after the virus has run its course. 

That is my worry also.  Like I said, we will live with it because we love to cruise, but doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it.  So hopefully, it will go away once all this stuff is over with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Someone posted on another thread that their TA called RCL and the medical forms will still be required after the 30 day stoppage   They are cruising end of April

As we all know, you can call RCI 20 times and get 20 different answers.  We’re not going to know for sure until the stoppage is removed.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mugtech said:

If this medical form needs to be signed by a doctor within 7 days of my cruise then I sure hope the May cruises are cancelled by RCI, for I want my money back, not FCC.

We are booked on May 29 cruise on Anthem. It will be very difficult for my Mom to get Doctor’s note signed within 7 days of cruising given flight schedule and Memorial Day. I’m sure others planned to be in England longer and would have to change flights to get note in stated time frame.

11 minutes ago, kccrzr said:

We are booked on May 29 cruise on Anthem. It will be very difficult for my Mom to get Doctor’s note signed within 7 days of cruising given flight schedule and Memorial Day. I’m sure others planned to be in England longer and would have to change flights to get note in stated time frame.

The 7 days was on NCL's letter.  So far I have not seen it on Royal's

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

My educated guess is they will remove that letter requirement. It was put in place when they were still setting sail. Once the 30 days is up if I were a betting man I would say its removed. 

I hope so.  I really can't see a doctor signing as it would make him liable if something was to happen.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

I hope so.  I really can't see a doctor signing as it would make him liable if something was to happen.

Agreed!  I am in perfect health and have had the same PC Physician for the last 12 years, however, I can’t imagine she’d want to certify my health on a legal document to a cruise line.  How could any Physician know for sure whether there were any underlying health issues hiding in someone’s body?   Certainly no benefit for a Physician yet a huge liability risk should something unknown present itself during a cruise vacation.

Edited by pstone1
  • Like 6

On 3/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, karena1 said:

I think it is very unfair to require this.  My husband will get the form signed by his doctor, but I think it is nuts to think only people over 70 are prone to sickness.  Just plan stupid in my opinion.  He is healthier than many 20 year olds, so why don't they make every single person supply the note???? Talk about discrimination.  You are over 70 so by age you are going to infect someone.  Really????????????????????????????????

My 73 year old father who is healthier now than when he was 30 also claimed age discrimination on our last Allure cruise when he tried to bring our toddler into the Solarium. We are booked again for next January and I'm hoping that there won't be any forms of age discrimination at that time.....no Dr's notes for people over 70 and no adults only areas where young people are discriminated against. 

3 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

Actually. my Medicare supplement plan does has a couple of them covered here.  It may be another one of those varies by State things. 

Actually my parents dont have a medicare supplement plan. They wish they had signed up for one, but when my dad retired from NASA they took the private insurance option. They have govt blue cross blue shield, but basic Medicare was listed on their insurance form as a back up we showed both walk in care places.

To get supplemental medicare they would have to back pay to age 65 and my dad is now 101. Woulda should coulda, but they dont have the supplemental, only basic listed which they dont use. They use blue cross blue shield. They were like oh the govt will take care of us, when they signed up for private insurance, what a huge mistake. They pay out the kazoo.

But medicare is listed as a back up. But not supplemental.

After their experience, first thing I did when I turned 65. 

... not that it matters, just you assumed they had supplemental they dont. ER it was for bandaging.

I'm hoping to get my booked cruise in before I turn 70 and need the letter. I'm not betting it will go away.

We will see if another batch of cruises get cancelled, I'm april 26.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

My 73 year old father who is healthier now than when he was 30 also claimed age discrimination on our last Allure cruise when he tried to bring our toddler into the Solarium. We are booked again for next January and I'm hoping that there won't be any forms of age discrimination at that time.....no Dr's notes for people over 70 and no adults only areas where young people are discriminated against. 

No Dr's note may happen but they are not going to change it so toddlers can go in the Solarium any more than they would allow an adult into Adventure Ocean. Discrimination.....I don't think so. Curious what your father was told when he claimed "age discrimination"? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

No Dr's note may happen but they are not going to change it so toddlers can go in the Solarium any more than they would allow an adult into Adventure Ocean. Discrimination.....I don't think so. Curious what your father was told when he claimed "age discrimination"? 

Actually, it seems as though neither will be going away anytime soon. My father has a great sense of humour (being retired really lightened him up) so he laughed it off. The crew didn't care one bit but a curmudgeon pretty much bit his head off. 

18 hours ago, VA Emily said:

We have an RCI cruise booked for October.  My husband and I are both over 70 and are both in good health.  We do have a family doctor who will sign a clearance form.  However, I really resent having to submit a form to RCI so I can cruise because I am over 70.  We’ve been regularly cruising for the past 30 years.  I have seen many less than 70 year old cruisers who are extremely overweight, using portable oxygen, waddling about, etc., who have seem to have many health issues.  

Land tours are becoming more attractive.

VA Emily -- I agree with you.  I'm also over 70 and resent having to submit a form just because of my age.  I am a widow and my husband & I enjoyed many cruises together.  After he passed away, I might not have cruised again except my daughters insisted we go for my 70th birthday.  That was 2 years ago and I haven't stopped.  I enjoy cruising with family and friends and they all know that if they mention a cruise to me that I'll be online checking it out and possibly booking it.  That's just what I love to do now and my goal is to be Pinnacle and I'm not far from it.  I think my doctor will sign a letter but how do we know and if it has to be 7 days prior to sailing then how could we plan flights, etc.  I know this virus is serious and I wouldn't want to cruise any time soon but I sure do hope I can keep my reservations for August and not need a letter from the doctor!! 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

We will see if another batch of cruises get cancelled, I'm april 26.

Our next one is April 24th.  At this point I would say the chances are about 50/50.

By them we may not be allow to travel domestically, especially from here. 

50 minutes ago, 2cruisers in Georgia said:

VA Emily -- I agree with you.  I'm also over 70 and resent having to submit a form just because of my age.  I am a widow and my husband & I enjoyed many cruises together.  After he passed away, I might not have cruised again except my daughters insisted we go for my 70th birthday.  That was 2 years ago and I haven't stopped.  I enjoy cruising with family and friends and they all know that if they mention a cruise to me that I'll be online checking it out and possibly booking it.  That's just what I love to do now and my goal is to be Pinnacle and I'm not far from it.  I think my doctor will sign a letter but how do we know and if it has to be 7 days prior to sailing then how could we plan flights, etc.  I know this virus is serious and I wouldn't want to cruise any time soon but I sure do hope I can keep my reservations for August and not need a letter from the doctor!! 

So far only NCL has put in the 7 days prior on their form.

• Like 1

My guess is once this crisis is over the notes will not be required.

To me it's discrimination, I see plenty of 50 years on cruises in electric scooters and some very big people who need to lose some weight. 

The bigger question is when will this be over, the no sail for 30 days most of the lines have implemented is a joke, this virus is not going away in 30 days. My hope is that it will die off due to warmer weather in the summer months, flu viruses do not do well in the summer months.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

It was required for Royal Caribbean as well.

Where did you get that info?  This is from their website and the letter is the same as I attached in the above post.  No mention of 7 days

a.  Effective Monday, March 16, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

So this is no longer the form?  This one doesn't say anything about it having to be within 7 days  Do you have the updated one?

No photo description available.

I think sellwingri misunderstood your post and thought you were saying a Drs note was not required at all for a Royal, only NCL.  I knew you were referring to the 7 day part. 

• Like 1

Hideous discrimination IMO.

I won't elaborate but it is quite evident that there many "unfit" cruisers that will not require a "note".

I have climbed up all the flights of stairs on a ship and have done so in lieu of gym time.

• Like 2