Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
extramom

RCCL requires Drs, note

Recommended Posts

My DH will be 71 by the time we cruise next in April '21,  He is in perfect health at this time.  Hopefully, he still will be.  But if doctor's are refusing to sign the letter at that time I am not sure what we will do.  Airfare will be available soon.  I don't plan to book anything until the virus threat is a memory only, but that will put a lot of people in a bind.  What if you are all set to go and a week before departure you can't find a doctor to sign this form?  Hopefully, Royal will rethink this once the hysteria dies down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when cruising starts up again, and the virus is under control, will RCI still require a doctor's note for those over 70? What about the chronic illness ban, RCI would be excluding a high percentage of potential clients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2cruisers in Georgia said:

So sad that you have to cancel your family cruise because of this ridiculous letter from the doctor.  I'm 72 and very upset about the required letter.  Now that we are at the age when we don't have to ask off at work or make sure we have a sitter or anything else but go, then now we have to see a doctor and even if whatever we have is under control, we still can't go.  My favorite thing to do is cruise and I've always liked Royal Caribbean best but now if some of the other cruise lines (as mentioned above) don't require a letter, I might have to forget the loyalty program.  I've been on 77 cruises (23 were not Royal) and every one was great so I'll have to give up my loyalty and they will be giving up someone who has introduced many many friends and family members to their cruise ships.

I am so disappointed about this as well, especially as we have an upcoming Med cruise with them in early May.  I am 71, healthy and my wife almost 70. Still working on my doctor who threw up on the letter for liability reasons for both him and because of his insurer. Not sure if our May 2 departure will even sail, it probably won't, but this letter thing going forward is dumb and unwise.  Aside from the bad will they are creating with both new and seasoned cruisers, this wrong turn will ultimately sink them financially if they don't pull themselves together and suspend it. Asking us to "hope" doesn't cut it. Many of us 70+ folks could be out several thousand dollars per person as a result of this. How do they think they will ever fill a TA or extended cruise? Summers and school breaks will not keep them afloat. They have been my favorite line for years. We have done 29 cruises, a lot of them with RCCL, which is nothing like your volume, but enough to feel we help them grow over the decades. Sure we are over 70 and the average life expectancy according to the CDC as of 2019 was 78.8 years so the numbers are a bit skewed. Lots of feedback coming back to them and for an illness that even the CDC does not know anything about (never mind our doctors). Let's assume the worse and hope for the best.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

My DH will be 71 by the time we cruise next in April '21,  He is in perfect health at this time.  Hopefully, he still will be.  But if doctor's are refusing to sign the letter at that time I am not sure what we will do.  Airfare will be available soon.  I don't plan to book anything until the virus threat is a memory only, but that will put a lot of people in a bind.  What if you are all set to go and a week before departure you can't find a doctor to sign this form?  Hopefully, Royal will rethink this once the hysteria dies down.

Same here.  I am healthy, but doctor will not sign.  I am not even on any medications.🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

I am so disappointed about this as well, especially as we have an upcoming Med cruise with them in early May.  I am 71, healthy and my wife almost 70. Still working on my doctor who threw up on the letter for liability reasons for both him and because of his insurer. Not sure if our May 2 departure will even sail, it probably won't, but this letter thing going forward is dumb and unwise.  Aside from the bad will they are creating with both new and seasoned cruisers, this wrong turn will ultimately sink them financially if they don't pull themselves together and suspend it. Asking us to "hope" doesn't cut it. Many of us 70+ folks could be out several thousand dollars per person as a result of this. How do they think they will ever fill a TA or extended cruise? Summers and school breaks will not keep them afloat. They have been my favorite line for years. We have done 29 cruises, a lot of them with RCCL, which is nothing like your volume, but enough to feel we help them grow over the decades. Sure we are over 70 and the average life expectancy according to the CDC as of 2019 was 78.8 years so the numbers are a bit skewed. Lots of feedback coming back to them and for an illness that even the CDC does not know anything about (never mind our doctors). Let's assume the worse and hope for the best.

 

I agree with you.  My doctor will not sign the letter.   I have been loyal to royal, love cruising and now that I am retired cruising is what I look forward to.  I am 73, no health issues except arthritis, and not on any medication.  I walk 3 miles five days a week.  My doctor just does not like the letter, and can't understand why it is necessary.  She feels the temperature taking should be enough, covers everyone who may be sick.   Some seniors are not as lucky as I, have health issues, but can still cruise, it is what they look forward to.   My mother cruised until she was 86, she had congestive heart problems, but never got sick on a cruise, and I have the greatest memories of the cruises she took with me.  She died happy because she could do what she loved.  A perfect vacation for those of us who are up in years.   I sure hope this isn't going to become the norm, many seniors will no longer be able to cruise.   I looked forward to this time in my life, now it seems as though everyone is against seniors, saying they are draining the economy with their health problems, walk to slow with their walkers, etc.   When I was young, we respected and cared for our senior population.   I will try to be optimistic and hope for the best as you suggested.   I am ready to cruise again except the letter is keeping me from going.  Doctors are busy with sick people and don't have the time for these letters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

My DH will be 71 by the time we cruise next in April '21,  He is in perfect health at this time.  Hopefully, he still will be.  But if doctor's are refusing to sign the letter at that time I am not sure what we will do.  Airfare will be available soon.  I don't plan to book anything until the virus threat is a memory only, but that will put a lot of people in a bind.  What if you are all set to go and a week before departure you can't find a doctor to sign this form?  Hopefully, Royal will rethink this once the hysteria dies down.

It's not just Royal, other lines doing it and pretty sure was Govt that asked for it. After this situation is gone, bet letter will only be memory also

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

It's not just Royal, other lines doing it and pretty sure was Govt that asked for it. After this situation is gone, bet letter will only be memory also

The difference is that it is being handled differently bythem all. Some offer refunds and in all the specifics differs. It's only about the same in the same corporation (for example RCCL own Celebrity among others). The FCCS are time sensitive and right now, and indefinitely, going forward.  you cannot board any of their ships without this letter....so once you reach the end of 2021 the credit dies. People who paid in full  before they changed their policy Must bve returned their money otherwise it is nothing more than theft.

 

Edited by TYinPalmSprings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am counting on our b2b 5/2/20 TA and Baltic cruises being cancelled and getting a cash refund.  If at final payment time for our 9/4/20 b2b Vancouver to Singapore the letter is still required we will cancel and take the $400 loss.  Won't be booking with any cruise line requiring said letter.  FCC will be worthless to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

The difference is that it is being handled differently bythem all. Some offer refunds and in all the specifics differs. It's only about the same in the same corporation (for example RCCL own Celebrity among others). The FCCS are time sensitive and right now, and indefinitely, going forward.  you cannot board any of their ships without this letter....so once you reach the end of 2021 the credit dies. People who paid in full  before they changed their policy Must bve returned their money otherwise it is nothing more than theft.

 

That's the norm. Even when 2 Royal Cruises are effected by Hurricane one may get FCC another money back. Never been consistent.Cruise 2 Cruise. Though in past FCC is typically good one yr, at least now lot longer. With situation ongoing might been part reason to extended this time by extra 9 months

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

That's the norm. Even when 2 Royal Cruises are effected by Hurricane one may get FCC another money back. Never been consistent.Cruise 2 Cruise. Though in past FCC is typically good one yr, at least now lot longer. With situation ongoing might been part reason to extended this time by extra 9 months

Still theft

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

Still theft

 

35yrs on Royal, Cruise Critic Member since 1997...seen it all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

35yrs on Royal, Cruise Critic Member since 1997...seen it all

I hear ya. Been with RCCL over 30 years myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone please clarify - So right now RC is only giving FCC's?  Even if you cancel cruise 90 days out?  You don't have an option of receiving your refund as credit back to your credit card?

 

Thanks!

NJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Can someone please clarify - So right now RC is only giving FCC's?  Even if you cancel cruise 90 days out?  You don't have an option of receiving your refund as credit back to your credit card?

 

Thanks!

NJ 

If you have a refundable deposit and are more that 90days out you get a refund to the method of payment.  The FCC's are for those closer to sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blizzard54 said:

If you have a refundable deposit and are more that 90days out you get a refund to the method of payment.  The FCC's are for those closer to sailing.

OK  so if you want to flexibility of cancelling within 48 hours - you take an FCC.  

 

Does this apply to a refundable & non-refundable deposit?

Thanks,

NJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

OK  so if you want to flexibility of cancelling within 48 hours - you take an FCC.  

 

Does this apply to a refundable & non-refundable deposit?

Thanks,

NJ 

Yes, that option allows 100% FCC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

I think sellwingri misunderstood your post and thought you were saying a Drs note was not required at all for a Royal, only NCL.  I knew you were referring to the 7 day part. 

saved on my hard drive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

I think sellwingri misunderstood your post and thought you were saying a Drs note was not required at all for a Royal, only NCL.  I knew you were referring to the 7 day part. 

saved on my hard drive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Can someone please clarify - So right now RC is only giving FCC's?  Even if you cancel cruise 90 days out?  You don't have an option of receiving your refund as credit back to your credit card?

 

Thanks!

NJ 

Correct. As it sits right now the only time you can get a refund for 100% is  when they cancel the cruise, otherwise,  if you are travelling before July 31, you can only get a FCC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't you just sign the form yourself? Doctor's handwriting is illegible anyway just sign it Elmer Fudd, M. D.  Who is going to know? Are they calling doctors to confirm they signed these? Who can even get a doctor on the phone as it is? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Doctor cancelled my appointment for routine blood work.  At the moment she is only treating urgent care patients.  I doubt seriously that she will take the time to sign this idiotic letter, even if her insurance would allow her to take on the  liability.  I have 12 Royal Caribbean cruises booked at the moment, plus airfare, hotels etc...I doubt very many doctors would be willing to sign it.  I have no medical issues, work out daily, and can easily keep up with people 20 years younger than me.  I think they are leaving themselves open for some age discrimination lawsuits if they don't rethink this.  Unless they require every single passenger, regardless of age, to have this letter than they are  definitely discriminating based on an arbitrary number. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Evilgrin72 said:

Can't you just sign the form yourself? Doctor's handwriting is illegible anyway just sign it Elmer Fudd, M. D.  Who is going to know? Are they calling doctors to confirm they signed these? Who can even get a doctor on the phone as it is? 

No, you can not sign the form yourself, unless you are a medical doctor.  If the cruise line finds out that you signed the form, they could issue a lifelong prohibition on you cruising with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TexasRCH said:

I am 75 and have diabetes.  The way I read the form is says I can not cruise. My Doctor agrees by the way. The form does not say any thing abut being well controlled  It just says diabetes.  .  Therefore I have canceled my cruise for 15 family members in July.  :classic_sad:

That is how I understand the meaning of the medical conditions letter. I am 71 and diabetic, also. If the policy is still in place for our June cruise we will also need to cancel. If the policy is on going, I will never be able to cruise with Royal again. What good do Future Cruise Credits do me? 😟

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an appointment yesterday for 6 month check up (Heart). Everything normal but Dr advised me not to cruise. Age 71.

Did ask him directly about RCL medical form. Felt signing would be unwise, at this time.

Guess we just wait and see what policy RCL puts in place, after 30 day shut down.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, puerto penasco lady said:

My Doctor cancelled my appointment for routine blood work.  At the moment she is only treating urgent care patients.  I doubt seriously that she will take the time to sign this idiotic letter, even if her insurance would allow her to take on the  liability.  I have 12 Royal Caribbean cruises booked at the moment, plus airfare, hotels etc...I doubt very many doctors would be willing to sign it.  I have no medical issues, work out daily, and can easily keep up with people 20 years younger than me.  I think they are leaving themselves open for some age discrimination lawsuits if they don't rethink this.  Unless they require every single passenger, regardless of age, to have this letter than they are  definitely discriminating based on an arbitrary number. 

....and if you were cruising on Royal Caribbean you would need them to sign twelve  of these documents for twelve different dates. Same is true if you have them for a combo of different cruise lines as they are all a bit different. The worthless credits being offered will do us no good if they won;t let us use them. They will just keep our money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...