Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ticketsunlimited

Crew member post from an hour ago on RCI facebook

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The individual in question on this post is not a foreign crew member. She is contract “entertainment” staff and an American, and they are paid very well. 

 

She's youth staff. 

And while they are paid better than other positions it is still far from 'paid very well'...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GarlicBread said:

 

She's youth staff. 

And while they are paid better than other positions it is still far from 'paid very well'...

They are paid similarly to what she would have been paid in the US in a similar capacity (plus a better benefits package I’m sure), regardless my point was this isn’t a housekeeper, room

steward, or kitchen staff. 
LOTS of people are going to be missing paychecks, nothing special here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I am curious about is where are all these ships going?  For example, Baltimore has room for 1 cruise ship & the port is closed.  There are two ships that use that dock.  Do these ships park in their home dock or go elsewhere?  Many ships use Florida as home ports.  There is not enough room for them to all park there.  Where do they go?  Do they keep the ships running in their parking places or do they shut everything down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, PTAngel said:

For example, Baltimore has room for 1 cruise ship & the port is closed.

At anchor for a while, like Radiance is now in Sydney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PTAngel said:

One thing I am curious about is where are all these ships going?  For example, Baltimore has room for 1 cruise ship & the port is closed.  There are two ships that use that dock.  Do these ships park in their home dock or go elsewhere?  Many ships use Florida as home ports.  There is not enough room for them to all park there.  Where do they go?  Do they keep the ships running in their parking places or do they shut everything down?

Baltimore has plenty of anchorage area, and also any commercial dock can do.  The prohibition on cruise ships is for when they are disgorging masses of passengers.  Once the pax are gone, the ship can dock anywhere, probably with some crew shore leave restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PTAngel said:

One thing I am curious about is where are all these ships going?  For example, Baltimore has room for 1 cruise ship & the port is closed.  There are two ships that use that dock.  Do these ships park in their home dock or go elsewhere?  Many ships use Florida as home ports.  There is not enough room for them to all park there.  Where do they go?  Do they keep the ships running in their parking places or do they shut everything down?

The Port if Miami has made berths available to the cruise ships at no charge.  Explorer is sailing off Freeport for the next 60 days and will dock there when needed for supplies. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks to our two voices of reason above. Was wondering where the ships will rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for your answers.  I was curious since so many ships use ports in Florida they can't all dock there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

The 70+ was initiated from CLIA and all CLIA members follow suit. 

Any word on if they plan to make this a permanent policy or is it just till this current corona issue is resolved?  Just wondering because our in-laws (the same ones who just had their cruise cancelled for today with us) are booked to travel with us next March and it would apply to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Any word on if they plan to make this a permanent policy or is it just till this current corona issue is resolved?  Just wondering because our in-laws (the same ones who just had their cruise cancelled for today with us) are booked to travel with us next March and it would apply to them.

I believe it was in a CLIA press release that they stated it was a temporary measure to appease Washington that they were taking the necessary steps to keep the ships and cruising safe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I believe it was in a CLIA press release that they stated it was a temporary measure to appease Washington that they were taking the necessary steps to keep the ships and cruising safe. 

Otherwise companies like HAL might as well cash out now and fold the company

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A lot of workers on land have either been layoff or will be shortly because of coronavirus crisis. Ship crews are no different. I know this is a crappy situation but what does this crew member want his/her employer to do when cruise line has no revenue to pay the staff?

Edited by sfaaa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel really bad for the staff and the crew. Sailing for so long in the ocean just to be rejected. I hope that there is some kind of institution that monitors the situation with cruiser's crews around the globe to help them out. I mean you cant just leave the crew behind. They are also on the ship and making everything possible to make the journey for its passengers as comfortable as possible. I think they deserve a credit. I hope they will be refunded also. Its very important

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I feel really bad for the staff and the crew. Sailing for so long in the ocean just to be rejected. I hope that there is some kind of institution that monitors the situation with cruiser's crews around the globe to help them out. I mean you cant just leave the crew behind. They are also on the ship and making everything possible to make the journey for its passengers as comfortable as possible. I think they deserve a credit. I hope they will be refunded also. Its very important

If you, me or anyone is laid off, nobody "refunds" us anything, what makes them special?  Quit the bubble life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

At anchor for a while, like Radiance is now in Sydney.

Yes Radiance anchored in the harbour at Athol Bay, & will be joined by MSC Magnifica tomorrow (the ship that refused to allow anyone leaving the ship in Tasmania to reboard) according to the port authority schedule. Spectrum is currently off the Australian East coast doing the last of her free fire related first responders cruises to nowhere & Ovation heading back from NZ currently in the Tasman Sea after maybe just one port (Auckland) before NZ closed ports to cruise ships. We just did the cruise before on Ovation to NZ so were lucky to have just missed all the closures.

 

Looks like Voyager is at Eden NSW south coast tomorrow & from the info on the port authority cruise ship schedule it looks like for the next few weeks at least most ships in our waters are rotating every few days or so between anchorage, days at sea, then Sydney or Eden terminals to restock food etc I assume? So maybe this will be the same process worldwide, a constant rotation to allow ships to go out to sea to make water, dump allowed treated waste, then anchor for a few days, then dock for supplies for crew  - repeat until things improve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

They are paid similarly to what she would have been paid in the US in a similar capacity

 

Wow, your college educated childcare professionals and teachers earn between $3-$4 an hour, my bad, America really is great 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

 

Wow, your college educated childcare professionals and teachers earn between $3-$4 an hour, my bad, America really is great 😂😂

The childcare staff on board do not make $3-$4 an hour (in 2017 my daughter did a “tour” on Royal after graduating with her bachelors in early childhood development. I believe she was paid $16 an hour for that period of time).

 

Entertainment staff on board are paid on scale as dictated by several different entertainment unions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The childcare staff on board do not make $3-$4 an hour (in 2017 my daughter did a “tour” on Royal after graduating with her bachelors in early childhood development. I believe she was paid $16 an hour for that period of time).

 

Entertainment staff on board are paid on scale as dictated by several different entertainment unions. 

 

$16 an hour! On board! 😂😂😂😂

I've been underpaid the last 5 years then! 

If she worked out how much she got paid, and how many hours she actually worked, then yes, it can be as low as $3-$4 an hour

 

No company pays that much for youth staff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

$16/hr while on duty, but whatever 

 

plus the benefit of an immersive environment and the ability to get the hours required to qualify for the Masters level classes in a short period of time. 
 

She now makes 6 figures at an on-site child care program for a Fortune 500 companies employees; so yes companies to pay good money for childcare workers. 
 

i  amazed by the people that believe everyone working on a cruise ship is slave labor. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 1:20 PM, teacherman said:

As to the 70+ doctor note-I am in that group and received a TEXT from RCCL last night at 8:00 telling me to check my email for an important message concerning my April 5 cruise.  The email was concerning  having to get a doctor note (which most doctors would not sign as it would open them to possible liability) and telling me that if I could not comply, I should "immediately" call and cancel my cruise and receive future cruise credits.  Since I can cancel and receive those credits up until April 2, why do I have to do it "immediately" when they are already being bombarded with calls?  A cynical person MIGHT think that they want to give out credits instead of a refund, which could happen anytime now since a National Health Emergency is supposed to be declared this afternoon by the president, if he can accurately read a statement which has, hopefully, been written by someone with a grasp of the English language.  Just my opinion on why the 70+ policy was enacted.

your last sentence is repugnant and doesn't belong here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last sentence is "Just my opinion on why the 70+ policy was enacted"   I thought that was what we were supposed to give, our opinion on the 70+ policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to say this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.  Across the globe and across all levels of society this will impact many wage earners in ways that will be devastating as we all go through it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, a popular family restaurant in our neighborhood that is normally packed on Sundays had 2 cars in the lot when I drove by it a little while ago.  Several popular downtown bar/restaurants have already closed down due to lack of business.  This is going to last a while and many people in the service industry are going to suffer.  At least the government is trying to help the common people and not just the big companies.  America has turned into a service oriented economy and that depends on people being out and about.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 1:01 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

She now makes 6 figures at an on-site child care program for a Fortune 500 companies employees; so yes companies to pay good money for childcare workers. 

 

 

That's great for her, but I can assure you that the typical childcare worker in the US doesn't make anything close to 6 figures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...