Canada closes ports to cruise ships until July 1

coastcat

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-avoid-non-essential-travel-outside-canada-trudeau-urges/

Transport Minister Marc Garneau said Canada will restrict international flights coming into Canada to a smaller number of airports in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, saying officials are still working out the details. 

Mr. Garneau said the government has also decided to delay the beginning of the cruise season, which usually starts in April, to July 1st for cruise ships transporting more than 500 people. Ships that carry more than 500 people will not be able to stop in Canada until after that time, when the policy will be reassessed. Ships of that size will not be allowed to dock in the Arctic at all this season.”

With no Vancouver or Victoria stops available, the Alaska cruise season is effectively halted until July 1.

• Like 1

But when will the cruise lines decide that our mid-July cruise will or will not run? I can't wait until 30th June, because the cruise is just 1 week in the middle of a 3 week trip, and I would need to rearrange those days - possibly flying to Juneau for a few days, then on to Anchorage earlier than planned. Or will BA not be flying to Canada at all then, and how will we get all our money back? Such a lot of money spent.

Is anyone else in this position? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

But when will the cruise lines decide that our mid-July cruise will or will not run? I can't wait until 30th June, because the cruise is just 1 week in the middle of a 3 week trip, and I would need to rearrange those days - possibly flying to Juneau for a few days, then on to Anchorage earlier than planned. Or will BA not be flying to Canada at all then, and how will we get all our money back? Such a lot of money spent.

Is anyone else in this position? 

I’m sure there are thousands of travellers in this position.  Most airlines, hotels, etc have come up with good cancellation policies.

I understand that NZ don't want any ships now, and the Muse is on its way there! This is all crazy, as is quarantining thousands of people if only 1 (usually crew member) tests positive for the virus. Plus the loss of income for all ports which depend on cruise passengers spending. 

16 hours ago, zqvol said:

There are a few ships that carry fewer than 500 passengers. Looks like no impact on them yet. 

Greater Victoria Port Authority has expanded the directive to ban all cruise ships and ferries of ANY size from entering the Victoria Cruise Terminal and Inner Harbour until July 1, 2020.

https://gvha.ca/about-gvha/newsroom/the-health-and-safety-of-everyone-is-always-our-top-concern/

I wonder why the cruise lines haven't reacted quicker to this news. I checked and they still have cruises to Alaska on their websites. I did not try to go all the way through a booking, so perhaps that's when it would disappear as a possibility.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I wonder why the cruise lines haven't reacted quicker to this news. I checked and they still have cruises to Alaska on their websites. I did not try to go all the way through a booking, so perhaps that's when it would disappear as a possibility.

Wondering the same thing, since we are booked on a RT from Seattle to Alaska 5/13/20???  Live in the same area as you, so want to know ahead of time before we fly across country for a trip that might not happen.😂

US should waive or completely abolish the law which forces non US registered ships that leave from US to make at least one foreign stop before coming back to US. Victoria is just a forced stop before coming back to Seattle...

• Like 2

Hi, I have a princess cruise scheduled to depart 6/6 from Vancouver and end 6/13 in anchorage. The news of Canada end this trip(or so it seems) rules dictate that a ship registered in a foreign country needs to port in 1 foreign country during a cruise in USA ports. Obviously, Vancouver would be the foreign port in this cruise. I called princess today and got through and was basically told they are dealing with the cruises cancelled in the 60 days of no cruise. I kindly reminded them that they have 6k of my money and that the cruise I booked cannot possibly happen...any ideas. Any hope. I know I will get my money back but damn....

2 hours ago, Ralph1212 said:

Hi, I have a princess cruise scheduled to depart 6/6 from Vancouver and end 6/13 in anchorage. The news of Canada end this trip(or so it seems) rules dictate that a ship registered in a foreign country needs to port in 1 foreign country during a cruise in USA ports. Obviously, Vancouver would be the foreign port in this cruise. I called princess today and got through and was basically told they are dealing with the cruises cancelled in the 60 days of no cruise. I kindly reminded them that they have 6k of my money and that the cruise I booked cannot possibly happen...any ideas. Any hope. I know I will get my money back but damn....

I understand your frustration.  We have a RT from Seattle 5/13/20, that I don't think will be going forward either.   Since we are right after the 60-day mark it still leaves us hanging.  We have until 5/20/20, before cancellation fees kick-in and 5/28/20 before flexible ez-air fees start.  So, we are also in limbo and wanting to know what they are going to do.  These type of trips (across country) for us and all the extra planning, excursion expense, hotels and etc., can't just be switched so easily from one week to another.  Not sure I want all that money tied up in a FCC to be used by a certain date since we chose the time of the year we wanted to travel to Alaska.  I will wait till next week to patiently give them time to figure out what they are going to do, but want to have some kind of answers prior to our end date.

Yes, that is my frustration. Our cruises cannot go on while the Canadian port closure  is in effect. Your cruise needs( by Usa law) to stop in Canada. Unless the rule is amended for the unique circumstances. Our cruise depends on starting in Vancouver. I understand princess is busy right now but I paid as did everyone else. I fret I won’t get an answer until end of April n my money is tied up until then.

43 minutes ago, aurora_borealis said:

Given circumstances, I don't know that now is the time to expect a change in long-standing federal maritime law.

Why not? Everything else seems to have changed. Just throw in one more

18 minutes ago, webzila said:

I doubt they would change the policy for an activity the government has shut down and was recommending that people not use. They don't want to deal with the possible quarantine issues.

I looked yesterday and I can fly to Juneau for about the same price as my flight to Vancouver, thinking about taking a 7 day Juneau to Sitka on a 40 passenger boat

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 3:04 PM, cruiseryyc said:

I’m sure there are thousands of travellers in this position.  Most airlines, hotels, etc have come up with good cancellation policies.

Have you actually experienced any of these "good cancellation policies"? I'm in the process of folding up a 5 week trip to Italy that was to begin 5 April.  autoeurope.com good. airbnb.com good.  hotels.com not good. delta airlines not too good.

5 minutes ago, bottom-dragger said:

Have you actually experienced any of these "good cancellation policies"? I'm in the process of folding up a 5 week trip to Italy that was to begin 5 April.  autoeurope.com good. airbnb.com good.  hotels.com not good. delta airlines not too good.

Yes I have when I cancelled trip to Mexico.

5 hours ago, webzila said:

In terms of law, very little has changed. An emergency declaration doesn't necessarily change underlying law. Changing passenger cruising acts is going to be very low priority.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:34 PM, VermeulT said:

My cruise is in August. I really hope it will still go. Fingers crossed that this “threat” clears up ASAP. 

Ours is late August so we are also holding on to the hope that we get to go.