Canada Ban on Cruise Ships until July 1st

koolforkatz

One of the sad things about cancelling our cruise is that over the years, and our many trips to Alaska, we have formed some great friendships with a couple of the tour operators and now we won't be able to visit with them.  Our hearts go out to all affected both as cruisers and as the many vendors that rely on the cruise industry for their financial means.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Do you have Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) insurance? If so, you'll be able to cancel using that, if you decide to bail.

Never cruise without it. You don't know what could happen.

I agree 100%. Always have insurance. 

• Like 1

I may have missed something here (not unheard of for me) and I read the article twice BUT this is talking about Victoria. I do not see anywhere that the Vancouver port is cancelling ships.

If I missed that in this article can someone please point it out to me. Maybe it is my wishful thinking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, indygirl99 said:

I may have missed something here (not unheard of for me) and I read the article twice BUT this is talking about Victoria. I do not see anywhere that the Vancouver port is cancelling ships.

If I missed that in this article can someone please point it out to me. Maybe it is my wishful thinking.

They have banned cruise ships for All of Canada until at least 1 July

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, indygirl99 said:

It is talking about Canadian waters, all of Canada. It would also apply to any east coast Canadian ports. If you Google you will find articles that specifically include Vancouver.

2 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

So this pretty much wipes out Alaskan cruises from the 5/10/20 - 6/30/20 sailing dates doesn't it?  Have to visit a foreign port when doing a RT cruise out of Seattle don't you?

We had a cruise that did just a stop and go in Naniamo. That might be the option they use.

Our Alaska cruise is July 12th.  We just squeezed in!  So far at least. I think things will have calmed down by then, but having to pay by April 13th is not so good.  Am hoping Princess extends their 60 day final payment policy or even makes it a 48 hr. cancellation for FCC thing.  Just hope things will settle down in a month.

Pooh

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, nooptere said:

FYI It's all of Canada which includes Naniamo,BC 

Understood the ban, ship pulled up outside the harbor, pilot boat came out and left and the ship continued on its way. 

As I said, this might be an option.

FYI, In case it was missed, posting indicate "Docking".

Edited by TheRabbit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Understood the ban, ship pulled up outside the harbor, pilot boat came out and left and the ship continued on its way. 

As I said, this might be an option.

FYI, In case it was missed, posting indicate "Docking".

My understanding is that US customs ruled that this was a sham and passengers had to be given a reasonable chance to go ashore at the foreign port. 

42 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

My understanding is that US customs ruled that this was a sham and passengers had to be given a reasonable chance to go ashore at the foreign port. 

This was in 2009 on the Star on our return from Alaska. Itinerary showed two hours in port. We had a similar experience in Ensenada in 2005 I believe on a LA Hawaii round trip. On neither of these trips did we pull up to a dock in our foreign port stop.

As I said, this "might" be an option.

24 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

We are booked to cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver on May 30th on The Grand.  Hmmmm.   Thankfully, for the first time ever, we booked airfare through EZ-Air!

I wish we could have used EZair in Europe in the fall. We have two flights with Alitalia already booked and paid for inside Europe.

INSURANCE NOTE

Amidst all the current scrambling and health worries this is really a small thing to note; but there will be a LOT of people receiving significant amounts of FCC to use on future cruises. Please understand that these ‘funds’ are not considered actual cash you paid for your trip; and as such are not insurable for cancellation or interruption on that future trip.

Keep this in mind when deciding on your insurance plans.  

• Like 2

We are booked on a cruise on the Pacific May 11th (1 day past the 60 day cutoff). We were going from LA to Vancouver with a stop in Victoria, a short 4 day cruise.  The plan was to spend time after in Victoria, Vancouver and fly back from Seattle.  Needless to say, I have no desire to fly back from Seattle.  Canada closing the ports should mean that Princess will cancel this cruise.  I'm sure they're scrmbling for this and many other cruises this summer.

Just this morning I cancelled our trip from Anchorage to Seattle for an extended vacation.  Changed our flights to go home from Vancouver after a 15 Day plus one night in Vancouver, Off The Beaten Path tour and cruise!  Now this!   We leave on the 19th of May for Fairbanks.  Even though we have insurance, I am looking for a complete refund of everything if we cancel.  

Does anyone know:  If they cancel do we get refunded 100%?

1 hour ago, mellen3869 said:

We have the travel insurance - but not the kind where you can cancel
For any reason 🤦🏼‍♀️. Live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh that is too bad. We had to use it once and I swear by it. Maybe the cruise line will provide good reimbursement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ram290 said:

Just this morning I cancelled our trip from Anchorage to Seattle for an extended vacation.  Changed our flights to go home from Vancouver after a 15 Day plus one night in Vancouver, Off The Beaten Path tour and cruise!  Now this!   We leave on the 19th of May for Fairbanks.  Even though we have insurance, I am looking for a complete refund of everything if we cancel.  

Does anyone know:  If they cancel do we get refunded 100%?

If Princess cancels they have been giving excellent compensation. I wouldn't worry about it as far as that goes.

• Like 1

The 2020 cruise schedule for Halifax was to begin April 11 and finishes Nov 3 with 198 cruises on the list, a main source of income for reasonably small ports. Hopefully, the ban won't need to be extended beyond July 1. 

The first Princess ship on the schedule is due July 19. 

3 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

INSURANCE NOTE

Amidst all the current scrambling and health worries this is really a small thing to note; but there will be a LOT of people receiving significant amounts of FCC to use on future cruises. Please understand that these ‘funds’ are not considered actual cash you paid for your trip; and as such are not insurable for cancellation or interruption on that future trip.

Keep this in mind when deciding on your insurance plans.  

This is an excellent and extremely important point. Please make sure you fully understand this before applying funds to future cruises, especially if you imagine that, for ANY reason, a normally covered one or any non-covered one, you might be cancelling this cruise. Even if the cruise is cancelled because of the cruise line’s fault, and everyone receives a refund of their cruise fare, if you paid for the cruise with an FCC, that portion is not going to be refunded to you. 

31 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This is an excellent and extremely important point. Please make sure you fully understand this before applying funds to future cruises, especially if you imagine that, for ANY reason, a normally covered one or any non-covered one, you might be cancelling this cruise. Even if the cruise is cancelled because of the cruise line’s fault, and everyone receives a refund of their cruise fare, if you paid for the cruise with an FCC, that portion is not going to be refunded to you. 

Please forgive me as all this is new to me.  Since it appears that my cruise will be cancelled, I will probably opt for the funds from my present cruise to be applied to a future cruise.  Are you saying that these funds will not be covered under a new insurance policy for the new cruise if I have to cancel or am cancelled in the future?  If so, I guess a better option would be to have the cruise line refund my money to me and then rebook so I can get an insurance policy to cover all aspects of my new cruise.  Am I understanding this correctly? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

We are booked to cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver on May 30th on The Grand.  Hmmmm.   Thankfully, for the first time ever, we booked airfare through EZ-Air!

I assume you know that you are actually not sailing from Anchorage, but from Whittier, about an hour SE of Anchorage.  Well, you "were not" since that cruise almost certainly will be canceled unless some relief of the PVSA is given.