Next up...Canada retrictions

johnandlinda

22 minutes ago, johnandlinda said:

Just being announced. Ships in excess of 500 passengers banned till July. Certainly glad now we did not book Alaska for May...we were that close to doing so but decided to just let things ride for now for our June river cruise

We have a May 3 from Bergen that has yet to be cancelled. When Viking announced their suspension of their cancellation policy on March 2 we considered cancelling our British Isle for an Alaska on May 16. Glad we didn't. Now waiting for Viking to cancel our May 3 cruise.

8 hours ago, johnandlinda said:

Just being announced. Ships in excess of 500 passengers banned till July. Certainly glad now we did not book Alaska for May...we were that close to doing so but decided to just let things ride for now for our June river cruise

When I read the Canadian Govt announcement it stated ships carrying over 500 people. Therefore, my assumption is the 500 limit is crew + pax.

10 hours ago, johnandlinda said:

So Viking river cruises are exempt from the ban?

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Justalone

After all my efforts that persuaded you to do the coach extension! My sympathies to you, but I fear your suspicions may be correct.

Just as an aside, we are currently in Fuerteventura due to fly home tomorrow! Apparently an empty plane is coming out to rescue us! We wait and see.

3 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

We're booked on the Alaska and the inside passage trip in July. Somehow I doubt we'll be going. 🙁

Friends of ours are booked for June, fingers crossed for all of you.

We are on Viking’s last cruise, August 14.  He hope it goes, as we are missing our cruise next month.  I read something yesterday about the US perhaps waiving the foreign port requirement of the Jones act for all non-US registered ships.  It would seem to be in Alaska tourism’s best interests to do so.  Any mariners out there have an opinion?

21 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We are on Viking’s last cruise, August 14.  He hope it goes, as we are missing our cruise next month.  I read something yesterday about the US perhaps waiving the foreign port requirement of the Jones act for all non-US registered ships.  It would seem to be in Alaska tourism’s best interests to do so.  Any mariners out there have an opinion?

Sorry, can't help, as when Government get involved they don't tend to use logic or basic marine protocols. Decisions tend to be based on who has the most leverage.

Personally, I would never cruise out of Seattle to Alaska, as the PNW & Alaska is all about seeing the scenery. Seattle departures spend way too may days in the Pacific Ocean. If it was me, I would postpone and take the cruise another year.

We are booked out on Vancouver on June 25th.   Because of Canada's announcement yesterday, Viking connected us to say they were looking into what they can do.  Three months is a long time in situations like this.   I guess we will wait and see like so many cruise passengers have done this year.

We have a second cruise this year booked out on Venice in early October.   Hopefully if the Alaska cruise gets scrapped, it will still be a go.     

I've not been contacted by Viking. I'm not due the full payment until May. Maybe things will be clearer then. If not, I hope I won't lose the deposit already paid. However, these are uncertain times for us all so will wait and see before I make a decision. 

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Sorry, can't help, as when Government get involved they don't tend to use logic or basic marine protocols. Decisions tend to be based on who has the most leverage.

Personally, I would never cruise out of Seattle to Alaska, as the PNW & Alaska is all about seeing the scenery. Seattle departures spend way too may days in the Pacific Ocean. If it was me, I would postpone and take the cruise another year.

This cruise is Seward to Vancouver, with a six day pre cruise package to Denali.  We have cruised out of Seattle many years ago, and I don’t remember a lot of sea days.  I hope this does go, as it gets us to new places in Alaska, and Denali, a bucket list item.  But it is a full five months from today.