Oceania suspends operations

Charles4515

28 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Who remembers Renaissance?  I do. That is why I am leery to make the final payment. If the cruise end sup being canceled by O and I get a refund so be it.

I would cancel now  & not worry about it then

6 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

effective midnight tonight, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and MSC have all agreed to suspend outbound cruises for thirty days

That pretty much covers all major cruise lines, doesn't it?

• Like 3

See posts above. It's not about paperwork and playing games. It is about not losing your money. We are in uncharted times here and I just don't know if O can survive with no cash flow for 30 days or even longer as it is likely the cruise halt could be extended.. If someone can assure me of Oceania fiscal health I will be happy to make the final payment and hope for the best. O is one of my 2 favorite cruise lines, Windstar is the other, and I do not want to se them go unddr.

Just cancel then and you won’t have to worry about personal loss. Easy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 1

Add RCL to the list of suspensions, 30 days. And MSC. So far, only US savings from these cruise lines.

At my request, effective midnight tonight, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and MSC have all agreed to suspend outbound cruises for thirty days. It is a great and important industry – it will be kept that way!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 

Edited by susiesan

I believe that the President made mention of bailing out the cruise industry as a possibility during his most recent speech.   So it might be possible that this would come into play IF some cruise lines were at risk of truly going "under" in light of the recent pandemic?  

13 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

I wonder what happens to those people half way through their ATW cruise. I assume they are offloaded, returned to their homes then returned to somehow finish their cruise at some later date?

Good question. Kitty9 who is on Riviera posted that they were directed to return to Miami only 2 days after having left Miami.

25 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

I wonder what happens to those people half way through their ATW cruise. I assume they are offloaded, returned to their homes then returned to somehow finish their cruise at some later date?

I read on the Facebook O group that they are disembarking at the next Brazilian port and air travel will be arranged for them.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Who remembers Renaissance?  I do. That is why I am leery to make the final payment. If the cruise end sup being canceled by O and I get a refund so be it. But if O goes under I am out thousands of dollars. As posters above said, no one knows what Oceania 's fiscal siuation is. With the publicly traded cruise lines we have some info on financiall health. We have none on Oceania. I don't think the travel insurance that comes with credit cards covers financial default. I can afford to wait 90 days for a refund but I can't afford to just lose the money.

Oceania is owned by Norwegian.  Norwegian is publicly traded.

Update:  captain just made announcement about the suspension of Oceania Cruises from March 13 to Apr. 11th.  Sirena is due back in Miami on Wednesday 3/18.  We will make a short stop tomorrow in Antigua to offload European guests who are not allowed in the US.  After that Sirena will sail directly to Miami. As of now, we were told that the ship will dock in Miami on Wednesday.  
This cruise was doomed from the start. It originally was to go to Cuba. That was changed when Cuba was off limits for Americans.  Storm for 2 days made for a really rough ride. Ship couldn’t keep speed so It passed by St. Barts.  We stopped in Martinique and St. Lucia.  Now we will skip 3 more ports.  Not exactly a dream cruise.  Wish that I didn’t sail on this one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

Who remembers Renaissance?  I do. That is why I am leery to make the final payment. If the cruise end sup being canceled by O and I get a refund so be it. But if O goes under I am out thousands of dollars. As posters above said, no one knows what Oceania 's fiscal siuation is. With the publicly traded cruise lines we have some info on financiall health. We have none on Oceania. I don't think the travel insurance that comes with credit cards covers financial default. I can afford to wait 90 days for a refund but I can't afford to just lose the money.

oceania is a publicly held corporation....it's part of NCLH

30 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

No mention of any compensation.  At the very least we should get port fees returned.  

Not thrilled with 4 more sea days. 

Maybe you can also get off in Antigua  ask the Purser  what your options are

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

Probably not covered under the travel insurance section but likely covered under the general section. Similar to buying an appliance (service) and it is never delivered.

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

Probably not covered under the travel insurance section but likely covered under the general section. Similar to buying an appliance (service) and it is never delivered.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I dont know the financial position of Oceania but I did go through the Renaissance debacle if you paid with Credit card you should not lose a penny since at that time credit cards covered all the losses..it really was easy peasy..

Jancruz1

It certainly was for us.  We were about to make final payment for a January 2002 Far East cruise a week after Ren went bankrupt.  Got all our money back without a terrible wait.  I think that was through Amex.

• Like 1

As far as what happens on cancelled cruises, it is on a cruise by cruise basis.  PG cruise cancelled 2 days ago went directly to the final  destination, Tahiti, and the passengers may remain on the ship until the end date so they can meet up with their original return flights.  Another cruise a few days ago went to  the nearest port and passengers are being put up in hotels while the cruise line arranges transportation back to the final port or other  passenger requested destination