Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Charles4515

Oceania suspends operations

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I guess you meant Radisson but wrote Renaissance?

I was on Radisson  and the folks that had it done to them were on Renaissance   There were 2 R ships tied up in Papeetee under guard  when we got there...  dont know where the other one came from....  But 2 ships were seized in the same way.....    Thanks for your help

 

15338766_1737033829947838_1617702137729648833_n.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, StanandJim said:

If you delay a trip to avoid stress and the new trip never happens because you pop off, -

Who loses?

So true....life is a fragile flower and time is  never your friend..   Every hour day or week you do not take advantage of is forever lost.  None of us knows what tomorrow will bring  or even if we will be around for tomorrow.     It is a risk now to act and it is  also a risk now to not act.   

Persons who have faced death and have won, will tell you they look at life very differently.  They understand how important utilizing time is and never to waste it  . They realize life is not fair and you very rarely get a second chances .

 

  Been there over the years.... I speak from experience.

Edited by Hawaiidan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

correct.... My error..  Names sounded similiar... woops

Not an uncommon mistake!  But it had those of us who WERE on Renaissance in those days scratching our heads ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DJP31 said:

I’m in the UK and booked on the Regatta 15th June Seattle-Seattle. Our first cruise, 3 years in the planning and celebrating  our 30th wedding anniversary. 2021’s schedule doesn’t work for us, so 2022 maybe. Paid the final balance and already chosen and paid for the excursions. Nothing on the O website apart from 100% refund credit, which isn’t really a refund. Booked via Trailfinders so I’ll see what they say, wouldn’t have thought O have option but to cancel but I’m a newbie at this and some of the posts worry me...
 

What a global nightmare and disaster for everyone - especially those whose livelihoods depends on the tourist. 

 

I had wondered if they could skip the Canadian stop. Didn’t know about the foreign flag / foreign country rule. 
 

 

Have you heard of the Jones Act?  Only cruise lines registered in the United States can cruise to only US ports.  On an Alaska cruise that starts or ends in the US must make at least one non US stop.  Most Alaska cruises stop in Canada.  With Canada closed to cruise ships, most Alaskan cruises can not operate. Also a popular route is Eastern Canada from NYC or other nearby ports.  Not going to happen.   If you are set on Alaska, you might get a repo cruise from a Japan.  Or just fly in and take a tour.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Have you heard of the Jones Act?  Only cruise lines registered in the United States can cruise to only US ports.  On an Alaska cruise that starts or ends in the US must make at least one non US stop.  Most Alaska cruises stop in Canada.  With Canada closed to cruise ships, most Alaskan cruises can not operate. Also a popular route is Eastern Canada from NYC or other nearby ports.  Not going to happen.   If you are set on Alaska, you might get a repo cruise from a Japan.  Or just fly in and take a tour.  

As I had pointed out in another thread, Grand Princess (yes, that one) “violated” the Jones act twice recently, including on her last return to Oakland.

Each time she had to bypass Mexico for medical emergencies.

That means that exceptions to the JOnes Act can be granted. That said, this does not mean they will do so for Alaska cruises but under these extreme circumstances you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

As I had pointed out in another thread, Grand Princess (yes, that one) “violated” the Jones act twice recently, including on her last return to Oakland.

Each time she had to bypass Mexico for medical emergencies.

That means that exceptions to the JOnes Act can be granted. That said, this does not mean they will do so for Alaska cruises but under these extreme circumstances you never know.

 

Even if they did, what US city would be the substitute for Vancouver? Seattle? San Francisco? Hard to believe with all the cases in Washington state and California that either state would open their arms to cruise ships any time soon. We'll need to ride this out, let the situation take its course and rebook when all of this is behind us. This is disappointing, but it is only a delay. Alaska will still be there when this is over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DJP31 said:

I’m in the UK and booked on the Regatta 15th June Seattle-Seattle. Our first cruise, 3 years in the planning and celebrating  our 30th wedding anniversary. 2021’s schedule doesn’t work for us, so 2022 maybe. Paid the final balance and already chosen and paid for the excursions. Nothing on the O website apart from 100% refund credit, which isn’t really a refund. Booked via Trailfinders so I’ll see what they say, wouldn’t have thought O have option but to cancel but I’m a newbie at this and some of the posts worry me...
 

What a global nightmare and disaster for everyone - especially those whose livelihoods depends on the tourist. 

 

I had wondered if they could skip the Canadian stop. Didn’t know about the foreign flag / foreign country rule. 
 

 

Check out the ABTA site. If there are significant changes it looks like you can request a refund which doesn't get you a cruise to remember but ...

 

https://www.abta.com/tips-and-advice/is-my-holiday-protected/new-package-travel-regulations

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DJP31 said:

I’m in the UK and booked on the Regatta 15th June Seattle-Seattle. Our first cruise, 3 years in the planning and celebrating  our 30th wedding anniversary. 2021’s schedule doesn’t work for us, so 2022 maybe. Paid the final balance and already chosen and paid for the excursions. Nothing on the O website apart from 100% refund credit, which isn’t really a refund. Booked via Trailfinders so I’ll see what they say, wouldn’t have thought O have option but to cancel but I’m a newbie at this and some of the posts worry me...
 

What a global nightmare and disaster for everyone - especially those whose livelihoods depends on the tourist. 

 

I had wondered if they could skip the Canadian stop. Didn’t know about the foreign flag / foreign country rule. 
 

 

Welcome to cruising and Cruise Critic.

 

Did your travel agent give you any advice about cash refunds if Oceania cancels nearer the cruise date? If not, I would ask 😉.

 

Lou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 6:36 PM, susiesan said:

Who remembers Renaissance?  I do. That is why I am leery to make the final payment. If the cruise end sup being canceled by O and I get a refund so be it. But if O goes under I am out thousands of dollars. As posters above said, no one knows what Oceania 's fiscal siuation is. With the publicly traded cruise lines we have some info on financiall health. We have none on Oceania. I don't think the travel insurance that comes with credit cards covers financial default. I can afford to wait 90 days for a refund but I can't afford to just lose the money.

 

Not only do I remember Renaissance, I had a fully-paid-for cruise booked with them when they went under.  I paid for my cruise with a credit card and received all my money back in short order from American Express.  Moreover, even if I had paid by check or some other means, Ren's bankruptcy would have been covered by my travel insurance policy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On March 10 we cancelled March 21 Miami Riviera with their only then Offer of 100pct FCC--------3 days later with Oceania's own cancellation we would have been offered either 125pct FCC or 100pct Cash Refund

 

Assume Oceania will not un-cancel----and then re-cancel with the better Offer?----------just dreaming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am so sorry for everyone that has had disrupted long-awaited plans!!!

We actually have a bucket list cruise booked for months in the future.   I know I would be upset.

 

Susie, I do believe that the cruise industry will survive!  

 

But, back to the original topic.   I am not happy to hear that, finally, after everything else imaginable has shut down, Oceania calls off right now.  It is way to little, way too late.  And, I believe they only did it because of the Presidential order of Trump, as he tries to help get a handle on this awful virus.  

 

Other lines have already voluntarily shut down.  The 'O' ships are sailing with few passengers, and more cancelling every day.  And, yet, they wait until now.

 

This is following with the parent company NCL.   I have never been a fan of NCL and their practices.  While other lines were planning on suspending operations, there are allegations of those marketing promo tactics.  When I started looking at Oceania, I was concerned when I learned that they have, for some time, been a part of the NCL company.   I had hoped that the leadership within Oceania would be better than some of what we have seen from NCL.   I am concerned that this shows that is simply not the case.  

I agree 100 percent.  Just booked a Viking Cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping notes on the Cruise Lines customer service/care during the last month.

 

Oceania just made my future do NOT Cruise list. I added Viking to my future cruise list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dick Barton said:

On March 10 we cancelled March 21 Miami Riviera with their only then Offer of 100pct FCC--------3 days later with Oceania's own cancellation we would have been offered either 125pct FCC or 100pct Cash Refund

 

Assume Oceania will not un-cancel----and then re-cancel with the better Offer?----------just dreaming?

I'm waiting to cancel as close to sailing as possible for this reason.  If my cruise is canceled, I'm taking the money and running regardless of what FCC they offer.  Cash is king!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Sirena now.  In retrospect, I should have stayed home. While the crew at Oceania has been terrific, it is not exactly a pleasant cruise. As the comedian on the show said,”we can’t ignore the elephant in the room.”  His jokes about Coronavirus were both sad and funny.  Cruise embarked on March 8th. On March 6, we got the email announcing no cancellation fees for cruising starting on March 10th and forward. Had we canceled, we would have forfeited what we paid, so we went. That seems to be the attitude of guests on this cruise. As I said previously, Oceania put us in a no win situation. Stay home or cruise?  With out a doubt, we will not rebook on Oceania anytime soon.  We feel cheated. On a 10 day cruise, we had only 2 port days.  We keep hearing everything is being done for the health and safety of our guests and crew. This is not what cruising should be.  I realize this is a trying time. Next time, try a different vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Redtravel said:

On Sirena now.  In retrospect, I should have stayed home. While the crew at Oceania has been terrific, it is not exactly a pleasant cruise. As the comedian on the show said,”we can’t ignore the elephant in the room.”  His jokes about Coronavirus were both sad and funny.  Cruise embarked on March 8th. On March 6, we got the email announcing no cancellation fees for cruising starting on March 10th and forward. Had we canceled, we would have forfeited what we paid, so we went. That seems to be the attitude of guests on this cruise. As I said previously, Oceania put us in a no win situation. Stay home or cruise?  With out a doubt, we will not rebook on Oceania anytime soon.  We feel cheated. On a 10 day cruise, we had only 2 port days.  We keep hearing everything is being done for the health and safety of our guests and crew. This is not what cruising should be.  I realize this is a trying time. Next time, try a different vacation.

It's unfortunate....and at this point it doesn't even matter but O made a decision based on what they knew at the time and you in turn decided to go...Hindsite is always 20/20. I'm sure  you will now most likely get the 100% cash refund along with either a 25 or 50% FCC. Viking IMO came to a decision which was much easier since they are a foreign company and privately owned....they can react much easier since they don't have shareholders to account to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing to point out...the Viking Sky is still floating around as their cruise got turned upside down...so as early as Viking decided to suspend operations some of their ships are in the same situation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

Welcome to cruising and Cruise Critic.

 

Did your travel agent give you any advice about cash refunds if Oceania cancels nearer the cruise date? If not, I would ask 😉.

 

Lou

Thx, I’ve emailed Trailfinders but won’t hassle them, they’ll have lots more immediate issues to deal with. We were so looking forward to our first ‘proper’ cruise but c’est la vie and it’s a 1st world problem in the overall scheme of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DJP31 said:

Thx, I’ve emailed Trailfinders but won’t hassle them, they’ll have lots more immediate issues to deal with. We were so looking forward to our first ‘proper’ cruise but c’est la vie and it’s a 1st world problem in the overall scheme of things.

exactly....."don't worry be happy."...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

exactly....."don't worry be happy."...

😂 A Bobby McFerrin classic. Saw him live in ‘89. Him, a bottle of water and a mic. The sounds and rhythms were amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 Any line that did not suspend operations before the Presidential Order knowingly risked this situation with either mass infection, no available ports, or both.   The cruise line execs know all of this very well. That is what they are paid to know.  It is not like this situation appeared yesterday. They based their policies on profit at the risk of customer well being.  Not okay 

Edited by Wishing on a star

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, CruiseLibra said:

Even if they did, what US city would be the substitute for Vancouver? Seattle? 

 

I'm surprise this hasn't been mentioned yet:

https://crosscut.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pauses-seattles-cruise-season

 

Seattle also closed down until July 1. Alaska cruise season is definitely not going to happen unless a change in these policies occur between now and July 1. The only way I can see anything working is if one of Seattle or Vancouver opens first, and governments allow the entire summer of cruising to be exempt from the PVSA, allowing cruise lines to adapt to add-hock itineraries without worrying about a near foreign port as per the PVSA.

 

And from the Anchorage News:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/03/14/canada-suspends-cruise-ship-tourism-which-could-shut-down-alaska-cruise-season-until-july/

 

"If companies can’t find a workaround to the Canadian shutdown, which affects all ships carrying more than 500 passengers and crew, Alaska sailings are impossible."

Edited by Hoopster95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, StanandJim said:

If you delay a trip to avoid stress and the new trip never happens because you pop off, -

Who loses?

So true....life is a fragile flower and time is  never your friend..   Every hour day or week you do not take advantage of is forever lost.  None of us knows what tomorrow will bring  or even if we will be around for tomorrow.     It is a risk now to act and it is  also a risk now to not act.   

Persons who have faced death and have won, will tell you they look at life very differently.  They understand how important utilizing time is and never to waste it  . They realize life is not fair and you dont get second chances .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the decades I have learned a very interesting lesson.    When faced with difficulty, tragedy or similar emergency situation it is most important   to not react to a situation  but to respond   

 

 As  I read many responses   it seems   , as the saying goes, " dont throw out the baby with the bath water"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am researching where to go on a substitute vacation this summer if my Baltic cruise is cancelled. If the airlines keep flying I am thinking a land trip in Costa Rica or Panama. Or maybe visit Hawaii not on a cruise. There a lots of cheap airfares now and plenty of award seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...