Royal follows Cancels cruises for 30 days

33 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Kids dont get it and no they are not carriers of it. Data shows that. 

You know you’re wrong right? You know that children WITH the virus are being studied to try to understand why they have fewer symptoms of being sick? I’m sad that your rant is just another contributor to the misinformation, especially if you are in the position you are in. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I'm surprised they have only cancelled sailing out of the US.  

Me too.  We have an April 19th Cruise out of Barcelona.   They have to cancel that as they deny boarding to anyone that’s been in Spain.  What are they waiting for?

Sorry for the duplicate post, but I didn't see a reply to my first post.

I see there is a link provided by RC in order to receive cash refund. We booked with a TA. Am I able to use this link to cancel or does our TA need to be involved?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, mizzhunyb said:

Sorry for the duplicate post, but I didn't see a reply to my first post.

I see there is a link provided by RC in order to receive cash refund. We booked with a TA. Am I able to use this link to cancel or does our TA need to be involved?

Thanks.

Must be handled by your TA

• Like 1

A couple years ago, there was an oil spill in the Houston ship channel and our Galveston cruise board time was delayed. There was a long line and we eventually boarded just before midnight Sunday only to be told they would be making a decision that next day Monday about cancelling the cruise. Sure enough, Monday they offer we were given was we could cancel with refund or stay on board for the week but with no promise if or when the ship might leave. We had to decide then because we could not retrieve our car until next Sunday. We choose to disembark and drove home. Turns out the ship did leave the next day and did a cruise to nowhere for the rest of the week with less then half the passengers it normally carries.

My point for this is stuff happens. You make the best decision you can at the time with the options you then have since the original plan no longer is available.  You then move on. It is the "...you then move on" that is easy to say but hard to do. I get that. I lived it with my cancelled cruise above. But guess what. I could either spend my week's vacation time thinking about the planned cruise that didn't happen or spend it having a different kind of fun with my family. It is the moving on that lets you see the options you can do instead of being trapped into still mourning what had previously been planned.

I am sorry for everyone impacted. For some it will take longer to move on than others because of circumstances. But it is my hope that everyone can adjust and enjoy whatever other options there are, even if not as fun as what you originally planned, and not let this completely spoil your planned time with your family and/or friends. This too shall pass.

By the way, we went home and then enjoyed eating out together for a couple of nights that week at restaurants we normally do not go to and we enjoyed that as our alternate to our cruise. Not the same, but we enjoyed. 

• Like 1

Can someone confirm or deny whether leftover FCC can be turned into OBC? I saw someone say this in a Facebook group I'm in but I haven't heard of that before, it would definitely play a role in our decision to keep the FCC or go for a cash refund. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rtazz17 said:

School closings are the most rediculous of all of this. Kids dont get it and no they are not carriers of it. Data shows that.

WRONG. There is a Frisco, TX man who gave Covid-19 to his wife and *three* year old after traveling to a conference in Silicon Valley. I agree that there shouldn't be panic but we shouldn't be cocky about it either. We don't even know what/if there are any long term health effects after an infection. I, for one, am not comfortable with the unknowns even if it might be "mild" due to my age and health. 

• Like 2

Kids dont get it and no they are not carriers of it. Data shows that.

https://abc7.com/health/8-new-covid-19-cases-in-la-county-including-child/6000233/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/newborn-baby-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-in-london

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/children-faq.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fspecific-groups%2Fchildren-faq.html

1 hour ago, 2ferfun said:

Please people, get your cruise information from cruise critic and your coronavirus information elsewhere.

100% agree

• Like 2

the hysteria and misinformation is crazy here. This is not going away in 3,4,5,6 months. The answer is not closing schools etc. Are you prepared to keep closing everything for another 5 months? How many people will lose their jobs and be on the street? How many businesses will go bankrupt? Think of the domino effect. You may lose your house in this domino effect. The real answer is we will need to change the way we interact. We will need to keep distance. Common sense practices. You cant close everything and think this is the answer. Do you ever want to cruise again? Close cruiselines for 3 months see how many are left at the end of that. School closings are the most rediculous of all of this. Kids dont get it and no they are not carriers of it. Data shows that. The inaccurate misinformation posted on here adds to the hysteria. Find the facts. Use common sense. Seek the truth. Touching your face doesnt infect yourself. Data proves that. The entryway is respiratory. Most people can easily fight off this virus. Compromised immune systems may not. (Just like every virus) . Avoid huge crowds. Go ahead and flame me but if 1/2 the things people on this forum think should happen you will end up without a job and a place to live. Nevermind a cruiseline to cruise with. For the record im a career fireman/paramedic dealing with flulike symtoms of strangers 48 hours a week. Not a bit scared of getting this virus. If I do,ill recover. Peace

Obviously a drive-by troll posting, with no intention of being taken seriously.

2 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

Kids dont get it and no they are not carriers of it. Data shows that. The inaccurate misinformation posted on here adds to the hysteria. Find the facts. Use common sense. 

Oh brother..... I'll just leave it at that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Universal precautions for a droplet based virus (it’s not “respiratory” as you have stated) includes not touching your face (someone in healthcare would know that-not cite unknown “data”)

Completely agree, this is why so much attention is being given to the importance of not touching the face by pretty much all credible medical sources.  The current local protocols for pre-hospital care and I assume they are similar nationally are that the 911 dispatchers screen the caller and if they fall into "flu like symptoms" fever, cough, diff breathing, travel history that info is passed onto the first responders en route.  The crew would then don full universal precautions (N95 mask, eye protection, gown, gloves) and place the patient in a mask. Hospital notification would take place and the ambulance and all equipment would be decontaminated before going back in service.  This is all done to protect the facial area which obviously contain the entry to the airway, thus the don't touch your face warnings.

1 hour ago, DrD said:

According to these experts, the idea is to slow the spread of the virus so that the curve of infections is flatter.  This way a large peak will not exceed the capacity of the health care system.  So the measures are temporary even though the virus will be here for a long time.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  I am a physician who has also cared for many patients with viral infections, but I know enough to know that I will leave this response to the experts.  

Agree and all of these measures we are taking (cancelling cruises, travel, school closures, etc) will help with "flattening the curve" along with  social distancing.  It may be overkill but when considering what is happening globally and the potential impact on our healthcare system I'm afraid the "over abundance of caution" approach is here to stay for a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaylans said:

Can someone confirm or deny whether leftover FCC can be turned into OBC? I saw someone say this in a Facebook group I'm in but I haven't heard of that before, it would definitely play a role in our decision to keep the FCC or go for a cash refund. 

Extra FCC will be reissued as a new FCC.  It cannot be converted to OBC 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blackjack24 said:

One of my friends on board messaged and said all crew and entertainers are staying on the ship for 30 days. He said a lot of the regular crew are happy because it will be like a paid vacation. 

LOL!  They are going to be in for a rude awakening if they think the cruise line is going to let them sleep in and then lounge by the pool all day.   "Attention crew, please report at 6 AM to receive your bucket of bleach and rags for your cleaning assignments".  

1 hour ago, dasmonkey said:

LOL!  They are going to be in for a rude awakening if they think the cruise line is going to let them sleep in and then lounge by the pool all day.   "Attention crew, please report at 6 AM to receive your bucket of bleach and rags for your cleaning assignments".  

The ones I talk to are entertainers so I don't think they will have to do anything like that. The crew had their meeting this morning and they didn't mention anything like that. Housekeeping,  cleaners and food servers still have to work(has to be a much lighter workload than normal I would assume). talked to them again today and they said what changes were going to be made. 

Crew mess is closed. Windjammer is open for crew. Crew bar closed. Cafe promenade will be open for a few hours. Crew bar is now closed and pool bar is the new crew bar. They are having sea days and might go to coco cay. This is all a very fluid situation. 15 days they go back to port so the sign off crew can get off. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, blackjack24 said:

The ones I talk to are entertainers so I don't think they will have to do anything like that. The crew had their meeting this morning and they didn't mention anything like that. Housekeeping,  cleaners and food servers still have to work(has to be a much lighter workload than normal I would assume). talked to them again today and they said what changes were going to be made. 

Crew mess is closed. Windjammer is open for crew. Crew bar closed. Cafe promenade will be open for a few hours. Crew bar is now closed and pool bar is the new crew bar. They are having sea days and might go to coco cay. This is all a very fluid situation. 15 days they go back to port so the sign off crew can get off. 

Thanks for the update. 

2 minutes ago, blackjack24 said:

That sounds great!  Hopefully they all do indeed get to have a bit of well deserved R&R during the middle of all this.

Website updated now: 

At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew are always our top priorities. After the decision was made on March 13th to voluntarily suspend our sailings departing from US ports, we've now made the decision to also suspend operations for the remainder of our sailings worldwide, effective at midnight, March 15th. Our goal is to resume operations on April 11th, 2020

4 minutes ago, dasmonkey said:

That sounds great!  Hopefully they all do indeed get to have a bit of well deserved R&R during the middle of all this.

Yes, that would be great for all of them. They all work a lot of hours! Also they are all getting free wifi which is nice of Royal to do. Normally they charge them $4 an hour if they want to use it and it is barely usable it is so slow. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, luisc25 said:

So I can get a full refund if I call and Cancel? 

No, not a full refund. Part of it will be in the form of FCC. 

Details are all in the "Cruise with Confidence" policy.

18 minutes ago, blackjack24 said:

Yes, that would be great for all of them. They all work a lot of hours! Also they are all getting free wifi which is nice of Royal to do. Normally they charge them $4 an hour if they want to use it and it is barely usable it is so slow. 

Excellent news!  The entertainers have very different lives than "Carlos" down in the bowels of the ship, scrubbing toilets in inside cabins.  It makes me feel good knowing he may be able to get out and get fresh air and see some sunshine for a change.  
Hopefully they are also giving them all some good grub up in the Windjammer.

We just gotta hope the heat slows this stuff down and they can get back to work after this initial 30 day shutdown.
Unfortunately I don't see the cruise line just letting them all chill out there with pay for months on end. 

13 minutes ago, dasmonkey said:

Excellent news!  The entertainers have very different lives than "Carlos" down in the bowels of the ship, scrubbing toilets in inside cabins.  It makes me feel good knowing he may be able to get out and get fresh air and see some sunshine for a change.  
Hopefully they are also giving them all some good grub up in the Windjammer.

We just gotta hope the heat slows this stuff down and they can get back to work after this initial 30 day shutdown.
Unfortunately I don't see the cruise line just letting them all chill out there with pay for months on end. 

I wonder what will happen as well if the cruise industry shuts down for 2-3 months. One would think at that point they would just send them home but on the other hand they have to be ready to go when they do start again. And yes the entertainers lead much different lives on the ship than the rest of the crew. They get to do most things the passengers get to do. 

• Like 1