Did Allure actually Dry Dock today March 13, 2020 ?

On 3/14/2020 at 3:20 PM, irzero said:

Well if this ship isnt getting amped up then im cancelling the cruise. No way am i spending 2 weeks on that old boring worn out vessel. Not for the money they were charging

We were on her last month and I'm going to have to agree with you. It was, dare I say, almost boring compared to our Harmony cruise last year. Allure is definitely in need of some TLC as she looked very worn in places. At the very least the propulsion issues need to be corrected. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 4:04 PM, Saab4444 said:

Old boring worn ship? This is just stupid. 

Boring, no....worn?  Well she is in need of some TLC.  we were on the 2/23 cruise 

I say who cares about the slides and bionic bar.  Must have a music hall and playmakers will make a difference. JMO...

3 hours ago, P_and_L said:

The cruise ship 'Allure of the seas', which was due to arrive today at the Navantia shipyard in Cádiz, is heading today to the port of Hampton in the United States after suspending its planned repair in this factory.

Earlier today, Marinetraffic had her going to Hampton, but then changed to Gibraltar - that could be to disembark the workers that got on in Barcelona. We'll need to ask @chengkp75 if there's any facility in that area (Norfolk/Hampton) that could perform the required dry dock work.

• Haha 1

Ive been on Allure 4 times. I ONLY booked the next sailing on Allure because it was scheduled to get the amplification. The 5th sailing was the most expensive of all the sailings. I am hoping the offer a discount or a deep on board credit. Time will tell..

• Like 2

All refits for Allure of the Seas have been cancelled and she will most likely find a place to anchor until Covid-19 has subsided.  We disembarked from Allure in Barcelona and stayed in the same hotel as two of the project leads for major parts of the work.  RCCL had just terminated their contracts, on 3/13, and they were scrambling to get flights back to the states.  

After a 12-day voyage with only 1 stop in Malaga, the Allure is Covid-19 free.  RCCL is unlikely to risk exposure to the crew.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mgesellschap said:

All refits for Allure of the Seas have been cancelled and she will most likely find a place to anchor until Covid-19 has subsided.  We disembarked from Allure in Barcelona and stayed in the same hotel as two of the project leads for major parts of the work.  RCCL had just terminated their contracts, on 3/13, and they were scrambling to get flights back to the states.  

After a 12-day voyage with only 1 stop in Malaga, the Allure is Covid-19 free.  RCCL is unlikely to risk exposure to the crew.

I thought it was due for a 5 year dry dock and was in need of an urgent azipod repair?

On 3/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, Biker19 said:

Earlier today, Marinetraffic had her going to Hampton, but then changed to Gibraltar - that could be to disembark the workers that got on in Barcelona. We'll need to ask @chengkp75 if there's any facility in that area (Norfolk/Hampton) that could perform the required dry dock work.

MT now says Southampton, my guess is they are going to park her and not do the dry dock until there is light at the end of the tunnel.

20 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

MT now says Southampton, my guess is they are going to park her and not do the dry dock until there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Agreed.  Cash is king right now for every business.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

I would have thought there might be closer/cheaper places to park her.

3 hours ago, ukrccl_a said:

The UK also has far less restrictions on international flights than mainland EU countries, so presumably a lot easier for any crew due to be leaving to get home also.

Didn't think about this one - most likely reason.

15 hours ago, Pratique said:

Maybe because other European ports are closed?

Britain is pretty much open. Though there are suggested restrictions which is causing a lot of places to close like theatres and cinemas. Yesterday Brits advised not to travel unless necessary. Next weekend more restrictions for older people coming in. Most flight cancellations are because other countries have restrictions. All the ex UK flights for the airline I work for were packed yesterday, lots of AU and NZ trying to get home. I'm sure more and more restrictions will be put in place very soon and wouldn't be surprised if we went into lock down like some other countries in near future 

Edited by sgmn

I posted this comment on the other "Will Allure Be Amped" thread as well.  Maybe these two threads need to be merged.   

According to a certain blog on social media, Royal has confirmed today, 3/18/20, that planned amplifications of Allure and Explorer are on hold.  The response reads:  "In these unprecedented times, in addition to voluntarily suspending our global operations, port closures and travel restrictions have also affected the possibility of moving forward with our amplifications of Explorer of the Seas in Brest, France and Allure of the Seas in Cadiz, Spain this spring.  Both amplifications have been put on hold at this time.  With global developments rapidly evolving, we are reviewing all options to bring Explorer and Allure into dry dock this year and determining the extend of the enhancements we can implement."  

21 minutes ago, steamboats said:

So according to a certain blog RCI confirmend on Twitter (as an answer) that both amplifications, Explorer of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, are put on a hold.

steamboats

I just posted that on the comment before yours!  We must've read the same thing.  It certainly doesn't sound like they intend to do the full refit even if they do get Allure into dry dock this year at some point.   So here's my conundrum.  Do I reschedule?  I booked Allure specifically because I wanted to experience the ship after amplification.  This cruise date wasn't the most convenient for me - but it was the itinerary I liked and was post-modification.  If they're not going to offer the amplification now, I'm thinking I might move to another ship and sail date.   I know Allure is wonderful as-is, but that's not the point.  We have our grandson, and we really wanted him to be able to use the new slides and new Adventure Ocean area.  We booked this cruise in February or March of last year.   So now the cabin choices are pretty picked over for the November sailings (we need to go in October or November) on the Western Caribbean itinerary with Coco Kay.   I'm trying to decide if I just wait this out a little bit and see what they decide to do (maybe they will do some but not all of the modifications?)....  and if they don't, maybe they'll offer some OBC since the product isn't what we were promised (using that word loosely for lack of a better one).  

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if the planned Liberty and Adventure 'Amplifications' will still go through. I would imagine not, as they will not need the capacity of the extra cabins for a while to come.