Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
gghadden

Did Allure actually Dry Dock today March 13, 2020 ?

Recommended Posts

According to the linked article below (Google translated), it's on it's way back to a port called Hampton in the USA? Would that be referring to Newport News? Wonder if that means the Mediterranean season is off?

 

https://andaluciainformacion.es/cadiz/885136/el-allure-of-the-seas-cancela-su-reparacion-en-el-astillero-de-cadiz/

 

The cruise ship 'Allure of the seas', which was due to arrive today at the Navantia shipyard in Cádiz, is heading today to the port of Hampton in the United States after suspending its planned repair in this factory.

Union sources have confirmed to Efe the cancellation of this contract for this Royal Caribbean company ship, which was to join the reform that began to run last week in Puerto Real (Cádiz) of the Carnival Victory.

The arrival of the Carnival already caused problems because a possible case of coronavirus was detected, which, although it turned out to be negative, forced to keep a quarantine that has prevented the start of work.

The Navantia committees await the official communication from the company at this time to decide whether or not to close the Spanish public shipyards in the coming days, as a preventive measure against the advance of the coronavirus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, P_and_L said:

According to the linked article below (Google translated), it's on it's way back to a port called Hampton in the USA? Would that be referring to Newport News? Wonder if that means the Mediterranean season is of

 

I read that to be Southampton in the UK.

 

But having just checked marinetraffic.com she departed Barcelona today (15th March) and it looks like she is now heading to Gibraltar and is scheduled to arrive there on 19th March (very slow sailing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, adamdiane said:

looks like she is now heading to Gibraltar and is scheduled to arrive there on 19th March (very slow sailing).

 

Speed recorded (Max / Average): 8.1 knots / 6.7 knots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 3:20 PM, irzero said:

Well if this ship isnt getting amped up then im cancelling the cruise. No way am i spending 2 weeks on that old boring worn out vessel. Not for the money they were charging

 

We were on her last month and I'm going to have to agree with you. It was, dare I say, almost boring compared to our Harmony cruise last year. Allure is definitely in need of some TLC as she looked very worn in places. At the very least the propulsion issues need to be corrected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 4:04 PM, Saab4444 said:

Old boring worn ship? This is just stupid. 

Boring, no....worn?  Well she is in need of some TLC.  we were on the 2/23 cruise 

 

I say who cares about the slides and bionic bar.  Must have a music hall and playmakers will make a difference. JMO...
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, P_and_L said:

The cruise ship 'Allure of the seas', which was due to arrive today at the Navantia shipyard in Cádiz, is heading today to the port of Hampton in the United States after suspending its planned repair in this factory.

Earlier today, Marinetraffic had her going to Hampton, but then changed to Gibraltar - that could be to disembark the workers that got on in Barcelona. We'll need to ask @chengkp75 if there's any facility in that area (Norfolk/Hampton) that could perform the required dry dock work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think there has been a little work for the U.S. Navy done in that area.

Edited by KroozFoolz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been on Allure 4 times. I ONLY booked the next sailing on Allure because it was scheduled to get the amplification. The 5th sailing was the most expensive of all the sailings. I am hoping the offer a discount or a deep on board credit. Time will tell..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All refits for Allure of the Seas have been cancelled and she will most likely find a place to anchor until Covid-19 has subsided.  We disembarked from Allure in Barcelona and stayed in the same hotel as two of the project leads for major parts of the work.  RCCL had just terminated their contracts, on 3/13, and they were scrambling to get flights back to the states.  

 

After a 12-day voyage with only 1 stop in Malaga, the Allure is Covid-19 free.  RCCL is unlikely to risk exposure to the crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mgesellschap said:

All refits for Allure of the Seas have been cancelled and she will most likely find a place to anchor until Covid-19 has subsided.  We disembarked from Allure in Barcelona and stayed in the same hotel as two of the project leads for major parts of the work.  RCCL had just terminated their contracts, on 3/13, and they were scrambling to get flights back to the states.  

 

After a 12-day voyage with only 1 stop in Malaga, the Allure is Covid-19 free.  RCCL is unlikely to risk exposure to the crew.

 

I thought it was due for a 5 year dry dock and was in need of an urgent azipod repair?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, P_and_L said:

 

I thought it was due for a 5 year dry dock and was in need of an urgent azipod repair?

 

They will be doing the marine maintenance and repair the azipod but the rest is cancelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, gghadden said:

(I've got a 10 year old and the slides are where it's at-apparently).

I believe the kids refer as “lit” although my kids might be telling me tales.  Keeping Dad in check!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, Biker19 said:

Earlier today, Marinetraffic had her going to Hampton, but then changed to Gibraltar - that could be to disembark the workers that got on in Barcelona. We'll need to ask @chengkp75 if there's any facility in that area (Norfolk/Hampton) that could perform the required dry dock work.

MT now says Southampton, my guess is they are going to park her and not do the dry dock until there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

MT now says Southampton, my guess is they are going to park her and not do the dry dock until there is light at the end of the tunnel.

 

Agreed.  Cash is king right now for every business.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

MT now says Southampton, my guess is they are going to park her and not do the dry dock until there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I would have thought there might be closer/cheaper places to park her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe heavily discounted, otherwise I don't see a reason to go to Southampton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caribbeanboy said:

Maybe heavily discounted, otherwise I don't see a reason to go to Southampton.

Maybe because other European ports are closed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The UK also has far less restrictions on international flights than mainland EU countries, so presumably a lot easier for any crew due to be leaving to get home also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ukrccl_a said:

The UK also has far less restrictions on international flights than mainland EU countries, so presumably a lot easier for any crew due to be leaving to get home also.

Didn't think about this one - most likely reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Pratique said:

Maybe because other European ports are closed?

 Britain is pretty much open. Though there are suggested restrictions which is causing a lot of places to close like theatres and cinemas. Yesterday Brits advised not to travel unless necessary. Next weekend more restrictions for older people coming in. Most flight cancellations are because other countries have restrictions. All the ex UK flights for the airline I work for were packed yesterday, lots of AU and NZ trying to get home. I'm sure more and more restrictions will be put in place very soon and wouldn't be surprised if we went into lock down like some other countries in near future 

Edited by sgmn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this comment on the other "Will Allure Be Amped" thread as well.  Maybe these two threads need to be merged.   

 

According to a certain blog on social media, Royal has confirmed today, 3/18/20, that planned amplifications of Allure and Explorer are on hold.  The response reads:  "In these unprecedented times, in addition to voluntarily suspending our global operations, port closures and travel restrictions have also affected the possibility of moving forward with our amplifications of Explorer of the Seas in Brest, France and Allure of the Seas in Cadiz, Spain this spring.  Both amplifications have been put on hold at this time.  With global developments rapidly evolving, we are reviewing all options to bring Explorer and Allure into dry dock this year and determining the extend of the enhancements we can implement."  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So according to a certain blog RCI confirmend on Twitter (as an answer) that both amplifications, Explorer of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, are put on a hold.

 

steamboats

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, steamboats said:

So according to a certain blog RCI confirmend on Twitter (as an answer) that both amplifications, Explorer of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, are put on a hold.

 

steamboats

 

I just posted that on the comment before yours!  We must've read the same thing.  It certainly doesn't sound like they intend to do the full refit even if they do get Allure into dry dock this year at some point.   So here's my conundrum.  Do I reschedule?  I booked Allure specifically because I wanted to experience the ship after amplification.  This cruise date wasn't the most convenient for me - but it was the itinerary I liked and was post-modification.  If they're not going to offer the amplification now, I'm thinking I might move to another ship and sail date.   I know Allure is wonderful as-is, but that's not the point.  We have our grandson, and we really wanted him to be able to use the new slides and new Adventure Ocean area.  We booked this cruise in February or March of last year.   So now the cabin choices are pretty picked over for the November sailings (we need to go in October or November) on the Western Caribbean itinerary with Coco Kay.   I'm trying to decide if I just wait this out a little bit and see what they decide to do (maybe they will do some but not all of the modifications?)....  and if they don't, maybe they'll offer some OBC since the product isn't what we were promised (using that word loosely for lack of a better one).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see if the planned Liberty and Adventure 'Amplifications' will still go through. I would imagine not, as they will not need the capacity of the extra cabins for a while to come. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...