Are our cruising days over? (merged topics re: health and age restrictions)

WmFCoyote

40 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

But he ain't to risk it to travel, even just a couple hours away from home, to use up our credit card annual hotel free night cert (could be used at $600 a night hotel in Miami area or up the coast to Vero Beach)  We will forfeit it instead as the cert expires on Mar 26. 

You might check with the company that issued the certificate as a lot of the hotel chains have temporarily relaxed their requirements to use expiring points and such.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would advise anyone of any age to take cash if offered.  I know CC members are waiting for a fire sale which I don't think will happen. Think about it. With all of these FCC's being issued the cruise lines would be stupid not to increase prices in order to recoup from this event. They know people will be forced to use the FCC's even if the same cruise will cost more. There is more flexibility with cash to be able to shop around with out a time limit. The extra FCC is a trap.

How can their be a fire sale on a non-existent product.   

Kind of like airlines offering sales on tickets to China, but aren't flying and possible a very different looking business when the restart.   

Talk and speculation is cheap when you look back at Cruising Executives and Passengers in January and asked them what they thought the worst impact for that thing happening in China at the time.  

I know I will cruise again, but it won't be for this year and who knows what the economy and the state of the world will be in 2021, but young enough and at least right now got enough in the bank that nothing is changing except WFH for all I can see, likely 2 months at a mininumn

Edited by chipmaster

• CCHelp changed the title to Are our cruising days over? (merged topics re: health and age restrictions)
4 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

How can their be a fire sale on a non-existent product.   

Kind of like airlines offering sales on tickets to China, but aren't flying and possible a very different looking business when the restart.   

Talk and speculation is cheap when you look back at Cruising Executives and Passengers in January and asked them what they thought the worst impact for that thing happening in China at the time.  

I was referring to those who think people will stop sailing when all is said and done.  I don't believe that will happen like it did after 9/11 and the 2008 market crash. The FCC's are the best chance of getting people back to their routines.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was referring to those who think people will stop sailing when all is said and done.  I don't believe that will happen like it did after 9/11 and the 2008 market crash. The FCC's are the best chance of getting people back to their routines.

Agreed

The OP received this letter BECAUSE they have/ had a Princess cruise booked. I am crossing

my fingers that it will not be adopted by Princess, but they may feel the pressure to do so

because they are a member of this CLIA. 

Ok, now let's all go and get some fresh air and sun.

Of course she could not guarantee that their policy on this would not change.

Also, the first thing you hear is that they are overwhelmed with calls and you might not get through. Then you are told that the generous cancellation policy can be found on the website. Then they give you the option of being transferred to another number plus give you the number if you wish to dial yourself for information on passengers stranded on their ships. Finally, you are given choices such as booking, excursions, etc, with another warning that there may be a serious wait.

And then I was connected basically immediately

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 1:12 PM, bobwendy05 said:

The fact they are SINGLING out, ONLY,  people over 70 with chronic conditions DOES constitute discrimination. IT IS THE DEFINITION of discrimination. ONE GROUP singled out.

Are you ok with adults only sections of ships where everyone under 16 is singled out and not allowed to enter?

21 hours ago, StillPooh said:

If my whole family was denied boarding because my toddler had a teething fever, darn skippy I’d be looking for someone to sue! 😤

That was one of our fears on our last cruise!! Now I'm wondering if we should sue because our toddler was discriminated due to her age and not allowed to enter "adults only" areas. Age discrimination on a cruise ship is age discrimination no??

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not necessarily so.  Some may wish to spend down their investments rather than any other option.  

Yes, RocketMan275, You are correct.  Many in the upper age group were able to save and don't rely on stocks for retirement. Many smart older people didn't have to have the latest cell phones and new TVs that you young people wasted your money on. One younger friend told us that he spent $4,000.00 on a TV back a few years ago. This is when we still were watching a big back Sony. And we were still working and had little time to binge watch.

3 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Are you being deliberately obtuse??? The measures are there to PROTECT YOU  not discriminate against you. 

You really can't help some people. 

Without breaking out the words very seldom used. Let me give you a scenario[ whoops big word} example. You are over 70 and have a condition that is treatable with medication. You get a fit to travel letter from your doctor. Then show up for your cruise. They deny you boarding because of a condition on their list. They have final say. even tho your condition is something that does not affect anyone else, they have final say. They offer you FCC but your condition is something you will have the rest of your life, so much for FCC. Now I realize this is pretty unlikely to ever happen. Although who thought we would ever see what is happening now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

What am I missing here. No cruises for 60 days.

There is high consternation among Princess customers because CLIA recommended to the Feds that passengers age 70+ have some sort of medical clearance from their MD's in order to sail.  NCL has implemented a policy and has such a form.  It seems rather high-level and innocuous at first take (the form I mean - not the process).  We don't know if Feds will adopt this, nor if any other cruise lines will.  People seem to be getting in front of it voicing that Princess shouldn't do this since there was no specific end-date for such a new policy.  People over 70 have been deemed as high risk to catch COVID and have more difficulty recovering.  Perhaps it was intended to cover until the COVID pandemic subsides, or perhaps it is planned to become a permanent policy.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

There is high consternation among Princess customers because CLIA recommended to the Feds that passengers age 70+ have some sort of medical clearance from their MD's in order to sail.  NCL has implemented a policy and has such a form.  It seems rather high-level and innocuous at first take (the form I mean - not the process).  We don't know if Feds will adopt this, nor if any other cruise lines will.  People seem to be getting in front of it voicing that Princess shouldn't do this since there was no specific end-date for such a new policy.  Perhaps it was intended to cover until the COVID pandemic subsides, or perhaps it is planned to become a permanent policy.

I was going to book a Carnival cruise and they required a letter from the doctor giving me a clean bill of health and advise if i was fit to take a cruise. 

15 minutes ago, hunt182644 said:

You are over 70 and have a condition that is treatable with medication. You get a fit to travel letter from your doctor. Then show up for your cruise. They deny you boarding because of a condition on their list. They have final say. even tho your condition is something that does not affect anyone else, they have final say. They offer you FCC but your condition is something you will have the rest of your life, so much for FCC. Now I realize this is pretty unlikely to ever happen. Although who thought we would ever see what is happening now.

This is exactly the situation I am in at this time. Princess is offering me FCC for a condition that I will have the rest of my life. It is also not taking into account that I must also find a doctor who will certify me "safe to cruise" They have not provide me any option to receive a cash payment for my fully paid cruise which leaves on 16 May. The FCC expires at the end of December 2021. At that time I guess I would be out the $6K that I have already paid Princess with no regress. At this point I do not wish to take a chance that Princess Cruise Lines will allow me to take a cruise before the FCC expires.

Edited by WmFCoyote
Excess verbiage
  • Like 2

I think that Royal Caribbean is also requiring a letter to be signed by a doctor if you are over 70.  At least I have printed a form letter off the internet addressed to "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd." that a Physician must sign.

4 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

I think that Royal Caribbean is also requiring a letter to be signed by a doctor if you are over 70.  At least I have printed a form letter off the internet addressed to "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd." that a Physician must sign.

Did you find it at an official Royal Caribbean site? If not then why even bother considering it real?

• Like 1

According to news reports, many doctors are refusing to sign any letter due to legal issues.  Also, they have said that their insurance companies are recommending against this.

Also, personally, I would never cruise with a company that would discriminate against seniors or those with disabilities in this manner.

Edited by famski740
  • Like 8

Warning, conspiracy theory alert!!! We got off the Gem a week ago and noticed many people in our age group were physical disadvantage ,we all thought that was great but maybe NCL did not. Let's get around ADA laws like get rid of to many wheelchairs, scooters, oxygen tanks, walkers etc.

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Did you find it at an official Royal Caribbean site? If not then why even bother considering it real?

Yes, it was there. However, one doctor in another post said he would need a full battery of tests to assess a patient's current condition, but would never sign such a form because of liability and much unknown about how virus will effect various conditions from heart disease to diabetes.

Form may have been an idea not thought through.

On the other hand, it's not notarized do anyone could sign.🤪

IMG_20200313_153028.jpg