Majesty of the seas- email from RCL 2 confirmed Covid cases

Just received this email from RCL. I realize the letter says may be associated with the cruise, but I figure they must be pretty sure, right??

Dear Majesty of the Seas Guest,

Royal Caribbean International is working with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to investigate 2 confirmed cases of COVID-19 that may be associated with travel aboard the Majesty of the Seas in February 29th, 2020.

To maximize the health of our guests and crew, Royal Caribbean International has implemented enhanced sanitation, health screenings and conservative travel restrictions. We understand the concerns shared by all our guests and their families, and are confident that these steps implemented will maximize safety and satisfaction.

In order to prevent additional illness and identify anyone else who may have been diagnosed with COVID-19 after traveling aboard the Majesty of the Seas, we ask the following:

Our ultimate goal is to ensure the health and safety of our guests and crew and to lessen the impact of COVID-19. So, if you have already traveled aboard the Majesty of the Seas and get sick in the following 14 days after your cruise:

• Seek medical attention to determine if you are at risk of contracting COVID-19.

• Follow the guidance of your health care professional and take a COVID-19 test.

• If you test positive for COVID-19, ask your doctor to report your illness to your local or state health department as soon as possible after your diagnosis.

Both Royal Caribbean and CDC are working to protect the health of the guests and crew aboard the Majesty of the Seas and we are confident that we are handling the situation the best way possible. If you have questions about COVID-19, you may contact your local or state health department. You can also learn more about COVID-19 at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html.  For travel-related questions, please contact us at 1-800-256-6649 or if you’re outside of the US, please find the appropriate number here.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

I was supposed to be leaving tomorrow on the Majesty going out of New Orleans. We canceled before this, and just saw the following posted on their websited. "We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country. And this is our part to play. So, beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet's US sailings for 30 days."

So, I take it this cruise will not be going out tomorrow as of midnight tonight (3/13), further sailings are halted?

We got the email too and my husband got coughed all over by a gentleman in the steam room on our last day that claimed to have bronchitis, but was a walking coronavirus poster child. My husband even said so at the time when he cane booking it out of the locker room 20 minutes earlier than I expected. (And yes, he immediately left and took a shower when this guy came in.) Trying not to panic, but I wish RCCL would have provided more details - crew or guest, deck they lived on, dining room and time, etc. 

Royal Caribbean should be setting up testing with the CDC for all passengers from this sailing and subsequent sailings. Unfortunately unless you have symptoms you won't be able to get tested. The poor passengers from the Grand still have yet to be tested! Testing is a disaster and continues to be regardless of what you hear on the news about "anyone can get tested". BS

The gentleman from the Diamond is still testing positive 28 days into quarantine with NO SYMPTOMS!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JacquieO82 said:

Trying not to panic, but I wish RCCL would have provided more details - crew or guest, deck they lived on, dining room and time, etc. 

I totally agree! This email really just incited more worry but I guess we deserve to be notified... I figure they avoided specific details to avoid even more panic, but it sure would be nice to know a bit more.

I just hope we all took enough precautions, I was borderline paranoid with regards to hand washing and using the hand sanitizer.

3 hours ago, jus10cruise said:

Just received this email from RCL. I realize the letter says may be associated with the cruise, but I figure they must be pretty sure, right??

Most likely because of the time frame; most places it's 3-5 days for a test to come back, so if the test came back today s/he was probably tested (and therefore showing symptoms enough to be tested) between the 8th and the 10th. The incubation period is believed to be between 2-14 days, so that would mean s/he likely contracted the virus sometime between Feb 23rd and March 8th. With that range s/he may and may not have been infected while on board.

12 minutes ago, jus10cruise said:

I totally agree! This email really just incited more worry but I guess we deserve to be notified... I figure they avoided specific details to avoid even more panic, but it sure would be nice to know a bit more.

There might also be certain privacy laws in play where legally they can't provide information that may lead to "outing" the individuals involved.

Other cases are starting to come up from that time frame from cruises. Grand Cayman first case reported yesterday was a man was on a ship departing 2/25,  he removed from a ship on 2/29; He had a heart attack and was taken to GC.  As he recovered from the heart attack he started displaying symptoms for COVID19 and was tested on 3/9 and positive result on 3/12 .  When he came off the ship 2/29 he was already infected. Did he get it onboard or spread onboard ?? I've had trouble finding what ship it was that debarked a sick guest at GC on 2/29 

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Other cases are starting to come up from that time frame from cruises. Grand Cayman first case reported yesterday was a man was on a ship departing 2/25,  he removed from a ship on 2/29; He had a heart attack and was taken to GC.  As he recovered from the heart attack he started displaying symptoms for COVID19 and was tested on 3/9 and positive result on 3/12 .  When he came off the ship 2/29 he was already infected. Did he get it onboard or spread onboard ?? I've had trouble finding what ship it was that debarked a sick guest at GC on 2/29 

Three ships docked at GC on 2/29, HAL Veendam, Independence of the Seas, and AIDA diva. Not sure if it was actually a ship docked or just one in the general area though.

4 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Royal Caribbean should be setting up testing with the CDC for all passengers from this sailing and subsequent sailings. Unfortunately unless you have symptoms you won't be able to get tested. The poor passengers from the Grand still have yet to be tested! Testing is a disaster and continues to be regardless of what you hear on the news about "anyone can get tested". BS

The gentleman from the Diamond is still testing positive 28 days into quarantine with NO SYMPTOMS!!!

Not how testings done. At this point need show symptoms, even then it's Dr has request a test... The Guy from Diamond was over 30days couple days ago, never had a symptom yet. He's an unknown...

6 hours ago, jus10cruise said:

Dear Majesty of the Seas Guest,

Royal Caribbean International is working with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to investigate 2 confirmed cases of COVID-19 that may be associated with travel aboard the Majesty of the Seas in February 29th, 2020.

To maximize the health of our guests and crew, Royal Caribbean International has implemented enhanced sanitation, health screenings and conservative travel restrictions. We understand the concerns shared by all our guests and their families, and are confident that these steps implemented will maximize safety and satisfaction.

In order to prevent additional illness and identify anyone else who may have been diagnosed with COVID-19 after traveling aboard the Majesty of the Seas, we ask the following:

Our ultimate goal is to ensure the health and safety of our guests and crew and to lessen the impact of COVID-19. So, if you have already traveled aboard the Majesty of the Seas and get sick in the following 14 days after your cruise:

• Seek medical attention to determine if you are at risk of contracting COVID-19.

• Follow the guidance of your health care professional and take a COVID-19 test.

• If you test positive for COVID-19, ask your doctor to report your illness to your local or state health department as soon as possible after your diagnosis.

Both Royal Caribbean and CDC are working to protect the health of the guests and crew aboard the Majesty of the Seas and we are confident that we are handling the situation the best way possible. If you have questions about COVID-19, you may contact your local or state health department. You can also learn more about COVID-19 at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html.  For travel-related questions, please contact us at 1-800-256-6649 or if you’re outside of the US, please find the appropriate number here.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

...that may be associated with travel aboard the Majesty of the Seas"   It's out there, most part they arent chasing down who caught from who and where anymore. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

...that may be associated with travel aboard the Majesty of the Seas"   It's out there, most part they arent chasing down who caught from who and where anymore. 

Agree with you, there is no point in chasing down who caught it from who. Way to far into this to blame airlines, ships, etc.

Stocking up on toilet paper won't help either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mnabours said:

So is this for the sailing starting on 2/29 or ending on 2/29.  Just trying to confirm which week everyone traveled that is getting this letter.

It’s for the sailing that departed NOLA Feb 29th and returned Mar 7th.

Has anyone spoken to RC directly? I was on hold three hours today and finally spoke with an agent. They looked into everything they had and could not find anything about an email from them and gave us the cdc number to call. We have not reached them yet. We called the port police in New Orleans and they had no record of it either. 

2 hours ago, bolinfamily said:

Has anyone spoken to RC directly? I was on hold three hours today and finally spoke with an agent. They looked into everything they had and could not find anything about an email from them and gave us the cdc number to call. We have not reached them yet. We called the port police in New Orleans and they had no record of it either. 

Hey! Please email me at trenaa11@gmail.com if they answer you please. My family is in panic mode since we got email. Scared to leave all the grandkids with me while school is out and yet Im their " go to" babysitter when schools out! I have zero symptoms of anything! Y'all?

21 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

They haven't even tested all of the people in military quarantine from Grand Princess.  Where are the test kits? 

Confirmed COVID19 case in Ohio, guy came off Carnival Valor 2/29 in New Orleans. 

This is likely in the terminals and numbers would rise of more tests were available and medical staff to administer / labs to check 

I did see where those that stayed at the Marriott on Canal were notified of a guest that tested positive while attending a conference at the hotel.  It was the same time frame.  Thus, it was already in New Orleans.  If they stayed in New Orleans, they could have picked it up.  

I’m certainly not going to get TP crazy.

I just found this interesting. On another blog, it shows that someone actually spoke to Royal and was told the email was a fake.  The actual email address isn’t from Royal.

In looking for anything official, I could only find where individuals took the email and notified local schools and agencies. News ran with that.

I called Royal and spoke to someone that had no clue!  Not sure if they even knew their name.  Couldn’t tell me anything!

I received nothing official from CDC.  Did anyone?  Not sure why they would have allowed the following cruise to dock if this was known before the date they docked.  

Did anyone else’s email have “ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS” at the beginning of the email?

5 hours ago, JO Cruisin said:

I just found this interesting. On another blog, it shows that someone actually spoke to Royal and was told the email was a fake.  The actual email address isn’t from Royal.

In looking for anything official, I could only find where individuals took the email and notified local schools and agencies. News ran with that.

I called Royal and spoke to someone that had no clue!  Not sure if they even knew their name.  Couldn’t tell me anything!

I received nothing official from CDC.  Did anyone?  Not sure why they would have allowed the following cruise to dock if this was known before the date they docked.  

Did anyone else’s email have “ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS” at the beginning of the email?

I didn't see anything else from anyone including the CDC on this topic. It seemed to me it was used as a notification to the previous cruise, but also a warning to the voyages to let everyone know they enhanced their sanitation plan and why it was happening so i assume that's why the image mentioned "upcoming travels", the subject did say "recent cruise"

The email was sent by a company called Everbridge, which lots of large companies use to communicate to large groups of people based on certain demographics or locations during a critical event. If it was fake someone sure targeted the correct audience. 

Maybe it was fake, but it was nicely done in terms of logo's branding and contact information. I sure hope it was, I'm pretty sure everyone on the cruise is\was already highly concerned even without an email like this. We still have a couple more days before the all clear 🙂

12 minutes ago, jus10cruise said:

The email was sent by a company called Everbridge, which lots of large companies use to communicate to large groups of people based on certain demographics or locations during a critical event.

You are correct about Everbridge, and Royal has been using them for years to send targeted emails (such as cruise cancellation) where verified receipt needed to be tracked.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:26 PM, Gimmie11 said:

Hey! Please email me at trenaa11@gmail.com if they answer you please. My family is in panic mode since we got email. Scared to leave all the grandkids with me while school is out and yet Im their " go to" babysitter when schools out! I have zero symptoms of anything! Y'all?

If you’ve already had the kids with you since you got off the ship, it’s pointless keeping them away now. You aren’t suddenly going to become contagious because of an email. You either were contagious since you got off, or you weren’t. 

• Haha 1