Refund timing?

dlesh77

On 5/7/2020 at 7:58 PM, TriumphGuy said:

We were booked on the same cruise. I have heard NOTHING from our TA or HAL, regarding the 50% refund to our card or the 50% FCC.

I think I'm going to start a dispute with the credit card company.

When was the the last time your travel agent looked to see if your FCC had been processed ?  The info is available on HAL's travel advisor booking system (Polar). 

4 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

We read on May 6 that our August 2020 B2B cruises would be cancelled. We received cancellation notification emails on May 13. We received refunds on our credit card today.

Good news for you and people waiting 🙂 

They are obviously not going in cruise date order as people with cruises in March and April are waiting for refunds.  But, it’s good to hear they are coming now.

17 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

We read on May 6 that our August 2020 B2B cruises would be cancelled. We received cancellation notification emails on May 13. We received refunds on our credit card today.

Hello

When you said refunds, do you mean the cruise far and/or excursions and /or flights  and/or other advanced onboard  payment that you made for things like C.O. or  beverages etc ?

Thank you 

• Like 1

Just off the phone with our PCC.  Our March cruise was cancelled by HAL.  We took a FCC and expected refunds for taxes and cancellation policy.  Late last week accounting moved those monies to our November cruise.  No notice from anyone that they did this.  On one hand not horrible but not what we wanted.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Just off the phone with our PCC.  Our March cruise was cancelled by HAL.  We took a FCC and expected refunds for taxes and cancellation policy.  Late last week accounting moved those monies to our November cruise.  No notice from anyone that they did this.  On one hand not horrible but not what we wanted.

Wow. We took FCC and are waiting for taxes, port fees and air (about $4,000).  Trying to get hold of our PCC, I think his hours have been cut 😞  I just checked our next cruises and the money hasn't been moved to any of them.  

22 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Hello

When you said refunds, do you mean the cruise far and/or excursions and /or flights  and/or other advanced onboard  payment that you made for things like C.O. or  beverages etc ?

Thank you 

These refunds were for prepaid shore excursions. The cruise hadn't hit the final payment deadline yet so I'm not out any funds for the basic cruise, just an FCC and the FCD but I'm not worried about that. The odd thing about these excursion refunds is that they took less than two weeks, yet some of my other cancelled shore excursion refunds (for a different cruise) took 51 days to post. Those excursions were cancelled in March and refunded in May.  The good thing about it all is that there are refunds being processed by HAL, albeit irregularly and slowly...

• Like 1

Our cruises were paid for in November and were for 48 days cruise commencing February 16, 2020.  So, I'm not talking about cancelling a future cruise.  We were onboard when the world began to shut down early to mid March.  We were deep in the South Pacific at Rarotonga with our itinerary "blown out of the water".  We weren't allowed to refuel or re-provision in French Polynesia.  Two ports in Tonga were cancelled, all four ports in French Polynesia, Christmas Island, etc.  A revamped cruise was organized and would have salvaged some of the time with lots of extra days in Hawaii.  That plan lasted less than a day.  We were told that we would prematurely debark in Hilo.  A few days later, after flights were booked, this was changed to Honolulu.  New flights were booked, and we were at the pier in Honolulu for 12 hours and 12 minutes, bunkered and received basic provisions and sent on our way.  The Governor of Hawaii would not allow our healthy ship to debark passengers even though all passengers had flights booked and cruise line had arranged chartered buses directly to airport.  Only two people in great need of medical care and eventually six to eight Hawaii residents were allowed off the ship.  We then were redirected to sail to San Diego to debark!  New flights again were arranged, all on our credit card.    

My point is that I'm grateful that we were well taken care of and on a healthy ship (Maasdam) with a fantastic complement of Officers and Crew.  We paid for three extra flights each to come home as debarkation port kept changing.  It was stressful, and also our long awaited special cruise was cut short.  Yes, we expect reimbursement, some refund and FCC.  I think it will happen within 90 days.  We left the ship on March 28.  After we arrived home, the Zaandam passengers were next priority, some ill with Covid-19 and transferred to hospital in Fort Lauderdale.  Rotterdam helped with some passengers.  Amsterdam's World Cruise was abbreviated in Fremantle, Australia, some passengers being too elderly and/or frail to fly.  Now, the HAL ships are busy repatriating our wonderful crew members, and the Maasdam is just north of Philippines tonight.  Some of the ships are expected to go into long layup in Malaysia.

Am I concerned about receiving our FCC's and reimbursement?  YES!  But, I'm trying to be patient and understand what others have gone through and are still going through to get home.  There have been a few deaths.  The world has been turned upside down.  Cruising is such a wonderful way to travel, and all cruise lines have been decimated.  There are approximately 23 cruise ships today anchored in the bay at Manila, Philippines.  I am hopeful and have been promised reimbursement and FCC's, but I'm trying to be patient and wait.  We are thankful to be home safely and grateful for the Maasdam's Officers and Crew for their diligence, safety concerns, frequent updates on board, and all care and attention.  

Take good care.  Be kind, be patient and stay safe.         

• Like 5

This is a bit off topic, but I was surprised how quickly and politely Alaska Air refunded our airfare. I called in yesterday and they offered a full refund and it showed up as pending on my credit card this morning.  West Jet only offered a credit but it is good for two years.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Island Lovers said:

Our cruises were paid for in November and were for 48 days cruise commencing February 16, 2020.  So, I'm not talking about cancelling a future cruise.  We were onboard when the world began to shut down early to mid March.  We were deep in the South Pacific at Rarotonga with our itinerary "blown out of the water".  We weren't allowed to refuel or re-provision in French Polynesia.  Two ports in Tonga were cancelled, all four ports in French Polynesia, Christmas Island, etc.  A revamped cruise was organized and would have salvaged some of the time with lots of extra days in Hawaii.  That plan lasted less than a day.  We were told that we would prematurely debark in Hilo.  A few days later, after flights were booked, this was changed to Honolulu.  New flights were booked, and we were at the pier in Honolulu for 12 hours and 12 minutes, bunkered and received basic provisions and sent on our way.  The Governor of Hawaii would not allow our healthy ship to debark passengers even though all passengers had flights booked and cruise line had arranged chartered buses directly to airport.  Only two people in great need of medical care and eventually six to eight Hawaii residents were allowed off the ship.  We then were redirected to sail to San Diego to debark!  New flights again were arranged, all on our credit card.    

My point is that I'm grateful that we were well taken care of and on a healthy ship (Maasdam) with a fantastic complement of Officers and Crew.  We paid for three extra flights each to come home as debarkation port kept changing.  It was stressful, and also our long awaited special cruise was cut short.  Yes, we expect reimbursement, some refund and FCC.  I think it will happen within 90 days.  We left the ship on March 28.  After we arrived home, the Zaandam passengers were next priority, some ill with Covid-19 and transferred to hospital in Fort Lauderdale.  Rotterdam helped with some passengers.  Amsterdam's World Cruise was abbreviated in Fremantle, Australia, some passengers being too elderly and/or frail to fly.  Now, the HAL ships are busy repatriating our wonderful crew members, and the Maasdam is just north of Philippines tonight.  Some of the ships are expected to go into long layup in Malaysia.

Am I concerned about receiving our FCC's and reimbursement?  YES!  But, I'm trying to be patient and understand what others have gone through and are still going through to get home.  There have been a few deaths.  The world has been turned upside down.  Cruising is such a wonderful way to travel, and all cruise lines have been decimated.  There are approximately 23 cruise ships today anchored in the bay at Manila, Philippines.  I am hopeful and have been promised reimbursement and FCC's, but I'm trying to be patient and wait.  We are thankful to be home safely and grateful for the Maasdam's Officers and Crew for their diligence, safety concerns, frequent updates on board, and all care and attention.  

Take good care.  Be kind, be patient and stay safe.         

Wonderful post!  Excellent overview.  Your ideas are spot on.  And, Dr Bonnie would be proud!  

• Like 2

Happy to say Holland America refund in total arrived today! Talked to them 2 days ago, she said it was processed on May 19, took a week to go through banking. The cruise was on Konnigsdam March 15, 44 days around South America. Hang in there if you are still waiting.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jujumal said:

Happy to say Holland America refund in total arrived today! Talked to them 2 days ago, she said it was processed on May 19, took a week to go through banking. The cruise was on Koningsdam March 15, 44 days around South America. Hang in there if you are still waiting.

Do you have other HAL cruises booked? I asked because I saw the post from one customer whose refund was automatically applied to another cruise, without her authorization.

If HAL is doing that, I am going to cancel our next cruise and book it again later, closer to departure date. I don't want to tie up the money that HAL owes us for two canceled cruises only to find that they cancel our next cruise as well, holding on to our money for yet another "60-90 days".

22 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

Do you have other HAL cruises booked? I asked because I saw the post from one customer whose refund was automatically applied to another cruise, without her authorization.

If HAL is doing that, I am going to cancel our next cruise and book it again later, closer to departure date. I don't want to tie up the money that HAL owes us for two canceled cruises only to find that they cancel our next cruise as well, holding on to our money for yet another "60-90 days".

===

Hi,  don't know what your situation is or what you elected...

HAL cancelled our cruise one day before sailing.

We received letter saying we will get

1.   Total Cash Refund  (we received this)

2.  FCC to apply to future cruise (still waiting)

no action was required on our part.

See Cash refund below.  Hope this helps

p.s. I chuckle when I see your CC name.

49922409383_3b7bd39e29_c.jpg

1 hour ago, jujumal said:

Happy to say Holland America refund in total arrived today! Talked to them 2 days ago, she said it was processed on May 19, took a week to go through banking. The cruise was on Konnigsdam March 15, 44 days around South America. Hang in there if you are still waiting.

Hi jj,

We too were scheduled to be on the Koningsdam around SA.  Our complete refund arrived sometime between Sunday evening and Monday morning (Memorial Day).  Just one deposit of over $9,000, and they didn't break it down by deposit + final payment.

I did not institute a credit card dispute and it took 73 days for it to hit our bank account.  It took our bank four to six days to post it, so I guess you could say our refund was sent out 68 days after HAL's cancellation of the cruise.(March 13th)

I'm still waiting on our FCC and my TA said it's not on the POLAR Online account.

Many of you might not know that HAL gave us a full refund + 100% FCC, because they cancelled on us two days before the cruise was to leave, and many of us were already in Ft Lauderdale.  It wasn't as much of a big deal for us, as we had just disembarked Celebrity's Reflection and were at our hotel waiting for two nights for the Koningsdam.  We had to scramble to get airfare back home, but that turned out fine, as Southwest did not price gouge us for our last minute tickets.  

Feels good to be right with the cruising world, but waiting on the refund had it's ups and downs.

Enjoy!

Kel😁

The invoice shown in previous post is my final invoice.   HAL did not breakdown the refund or send notice.   I got notice from Amex.   I think the missing  $200 may be something else which will probably appear with FCC.    I only put the final invoice here for comparison to refund.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER

41 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

The invoice shown in previous post is my final invoice.   HAL did not breakdown the refund or send notice.   I got notice from Amex.   I think the missing  $200 may be something else which will probably appear with FCC.    I only put the final invoice here for comparison to refund.

Peter

As always -- Good job Peter!!

We didn't claim any additional for our hotel or return flights, as we had to cancel our San Diego flight at the end of the cruise, and that made it a "wash".

We were going to be in the hotel anyway.

Enjoy!

Kel

We are at about 67 days so hopefully something will post soon. The deposit and final payment are on two different credit cards for a total of three transactions.  I don't think we will pay for the cruise in advance before final payment going forward.  It is nice having things paid for several months in advance but you get burnt in a situation like this.

1 hour ago, bvocruise said:

We are at about 67 days so hopefully something will post soon. The deposit and final payment are on two different credit cards for a total of three transactions.  I don't think we will pay for the cruise in advance before final payment going forward.  It is nice having things paid for several months in advance but you get burnt in a situation like this.

bvo,

I agree.  We have a cruise in September that is due the middle of June.  I'm not going to give any cruise line any additional money as this point.  If the cruise is not cancelled by the time the final payment is due, we will just cancel or move the deposit to an other cruise next year.  I have cruises with RCL, Celebrity, MSC, and HAL that were all booked before the virus showed up.  It will be interesting if any of these cruises actually sail.

Enjoy!

Kel

Had to share that our first refund showed up from HAL today ... for a whopping $27.30 😉 😄 (an overcharge on our final bill on Eurodam).  We were on the last two cruises before the world shut down, ending in San Diego on March 18th.  I called HAL on 3/25 to question why our final bill didn't match our credit card charge and was told it was likely a minibar charge that we didn't actually use.  She said it would be credited back to our card on file and to allow 8-9 WEEKS!!!!!  I laughed at the time, thinking surely such a small amount wouldn't take that long but guess what - she was right on! 

Of course that doesn't make a dent in the additional $1,800 in FCDs I asked to have refunded on 3/20 and another $200 they owe us from a cruise we cancelled on 4/5 (for a cruise in 2021) … but hey, at least it's something.

I keep putting off calling our credit card to dispute because it is so complicated with original booking deposits a year ago, changes in pricing, several partial payments along the way, added transfers in the middle of it all, and this is for two back to back cruises.  I count about 10 transactions to dispute.  Please, HAL, just start refunding SOMETHING on my credit card, like tomorrow?!?

18 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I keep putting off calling our credit card to dispute because it is so complicated with original booking deposits a year ago, changes in pricing, several partial payments along the way, added transfers in the middle of it all, and this is for two back to back cruises.  I count about 10 transactions to dispute.  Please, HAL, just start refunding SOMETHING on my credit card, like tomorrow?!?

We also do not want to file a dispute with our cc since the cruise was paid for a long time ago and the deposit is on another card. Thankfully we can float the money as long as necessary and will take our motorhome on the road more to replace the HAL Alaska Cruise/Tour and Morocco trip with Gate 1 Travel (who refunded us the same week).  We will also be spending a lot more time in our new pool that was finished last June.

So if I am understanding this correctly, the prevailing theory is HAL is refunding cruise deposits based on the sail date.. we canceled a cruise on March 24th that was due to depart on October 10th of this year. It appears that most refunds that are finally being issued are referencing cruises that were either in the near past or the very near future..

Based on that scenario I wouldn't see my deposit refund for a looonng time.

I don't think I have that much patience.. I'll give them a little longer and then I'm going to have to go the credit card dispute route.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:24 AM, kazu said:

Good news for you and people waiting 🙂 

They are obviously not going in cruise date order as people with cruises in March and April are waiting for refunds.  But, it’s good to hear they are coming now.

Not sure that they aren't going in departure date order. We just received our refund today, for one of the first few cancelled sailings (14 Mar).