125% for credit or take the cash

This is the deal RCCL is offering for those of us who are impacted by the decision not to cruise for 30 days. For each 1000.00 you get 250.00 extra for a future cruise, not bad, but think about this....how long will this no sail situation go? Right now it is 30 days, what if it becomes 60 days+?  IF it does extend to a longer duration,  RCCL is in deep trouble, possibly Bankruptcy trouble. If BK happens, you lose everything.....so in summation, even though most of us will book another cruise with RCCL,  taking the 125% future cruise credit is a roll of the dice.  

1 minute ago, CruiseKeeper said:

We hung on the phone(s) over 3 hours total yesterday to have out TA cancel our March 15 cruise.  It’s cancelled.  Does the 125% apply to us?

I guess it does if you get the email.

4 minutes ago, CruiseKeeper said:

We hung on the phone(s) over 3 hours total yesterday to have out TA cancel our March 15 cruise.  It’s cancelled.  Does the 125% apply to us?

I was wondering the same thing.  I canceled our March 22 cruise at 11pm last night and I have received no indication of the cancellation.   I did get the email of the new policy today.

7 minutes ago, inghilch said:

So it's only until April 10th?   Sailings on the 11th are not mentioned??

Royal can’t count to 30 apparently. They made it very clear on their website that, “beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days.”   NOT

1 minute ago, tcneal said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I canceled our March 22 cruise at 11pm last night and I have received no indication of the cancellation.   I did get the email of the new policy today.

And a new question.  Can we apply this 125% to a previously booked cruise...we have a bunch of them. 

@rolloman its a rough call. Factors I could consider.  

If I lived where I could drive to port I would consider the boosted OBC, espically if the cruise fare was not high if there was a loss.  I would also consider it if I had no cruises booked for the rest of the year and had a flexible timetable. 

If I had to travel by plane I would take the credit.  Cash in hand is never a bad thing. 

As for the possibility of bankruptcy, with no government protection, I believe they will have some but for who knows how long. During the President’s news conference this afternoon, a question was directly asked about cruise lines.  He spoke of the importance of the cruise industry to the country and the state of Florida.  He spoke very highly of the industry, the people who work on the ship, as well as the support workers on land.  I think he would be willing to help/protect them but I would not hold onto the OBC to too long before using it. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

I canceled our March 19 cruise yesterday already, before the ports and cruises were suspended. So what happens? I would hope that the offer of either FCC or refund still applies? Just wondering being that I didn't wait for the cruise to be cancelled by RC. 

13 minutes ago, elephant98 said:

Royal can’t count to 30 apparently. They made it very clear on their website that, “beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days.”   NOT

Right.,. guess I have to wait until they clarify over the next couple of days...  I share everyone's concern about a refund vs Future credit,   Not sure what the right decision is.

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I canceled our March 19 cruise yesterday already, before the ports and cruises were suspended. So what happens? I would hope that the offer of either FCC or refund still applies? Just wondering being that I didn't wait for the cruise to be cancelled by RC. 

You probably fall under the rules of the day you cancelled.  I assume you got 100% FCC? If you want a refund you could probably call and ask, or ask to get the extra 25% FCC.  But in all fairness, you agreed on a deal, so don't get too upset if they hold you to it. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

@rolloman its a rough call. Factors I could consider.  

If I lived where I could drive to port I would consider the boosted OBC, espically if the cruise fare was not high if there was a loss.  I would also consider it if I had no cruises booked for the rest of the year and had a flexible timetable. 

If I had to travel by plane I would take the credit.  Cash in hand is never a bad thing. 

As for the possibility of bankruptcy, with no government protection, I believe they will have some but for who knows how long. During the President’s news conference this afternoon, a question was directly asked about cruise lines.  He spoke of the importance of the cruise industry to the country and the state of Florida.  He spoke very highly of the industry, the people who work on the ship, as well as the support workers on land.  I think he would be willing to help/protect them but I would not hold onto the OBC to too long before using it. 

We have a number of cruises booked in the next 24 months, the next final payment is due in May for a rather expensive one on Harmony in August. Our 3/22 Anthem is now cancelled, so I’ll have to make the call. 

All are out of FL, which we can drive to if we had to. Right now, leaning towards the extra 25%, but I’ll think about it for a while and see what develops. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

You probably fall under the rules of the day you cancelled.  I assume you got 100% FCC? If you want a refund you could probably call and ask, or ask to get the extra 25% FCC.  But in all fairness, you agreed on a deal, so don't get too upset if they hold you to it. 

People that cancelled early are getting the same e mail offering the 125% if they were on one of the cruises that fell with the 30 days.  Other cruise lines are doing this as well.  It’s either a great gesture by Royal or a colossal IT screwup. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1