Cruise Critic Community
lahore

Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

Some of you may remember I posted our cruise was booed with our Chase Ultimate Reward points (essentially a 33.33% discount on the $) thru the Loyalty Travel that handles banks travel award bookings with points.

Princess said it released the refund on May 29, as many of you posed.  Well the rep said it was sent on May 28, but posted on May 29.  

Called Loyalty Travel where the rep said there was no record showing they had received the refund but she would call Princess to check.  She came back with the same info so she put a notation in our booking (they documented each customer's call, like she saw I had called a week or so ago on the status of refund as the prev rep had notated the account.)   It would have to wait for the accounting dept update the refunds on the continuous refunds they have received from various cruise lines which seem to come more frequently lately.  She did say a lot of people were afraid the cruise lines would go bankrupt and so as their money equivalent points... 

Hopefully in next week or week after, we would see our points refunded to the account.  We can now redeem for the same value at 1.5c per point thru grocery spend, dining, and home improvement stores thru Sept 30 - a great opportunity to "cash out" those points because for many people the next trip would be up in the air, who knows when, at least well into 2021.

The frustration is very high, lots of emails from Princess but no results. We canceled March 10 for an April 25 sailing. We are getting close to 90 days. We have a travel agent but I think he is overwhelmed too. Filled out all the paperwork and wanted option 2, lower value but complete refund. I will not book a future cruise until this is handled. 90 days is a long time to get your money back when we are all suffering right now. PLEASE PRINCESS, hire more help...keep your Platinum members happy so they will book again with you.

2 minutes ago, lanzie99 said:

The frustration is very high, lots of emails from Princess but no results. We canceled March 10 for an April 25 sailing. We are getting close to 90 days. We have a travel agent but I think he is overwhelmed too. Filled out all the paperwork and wanted option 2, lower value but complete refund. I will not book a future cruise until this is handled. 90 days is a long time to get your money back when we are all suffering right now. PLEASE PRINCESS, hire more help...keep your Platinum members happy so they will book again with you.

Credit card dispute?

Havent done that yet, I so thought Princess would come through and didn't want to get Capital One involved if I didn't have to. I will wait until the end of June, they I will protest the charge

2 minutes ago, lanzie99 said:

Havent done that yet, I so thought Princess would come through and didn't want to get Capital One involved if I didn't have to. I will wait until the end of June, they I will protest the charge

They keep cancelling more cruises. Still have some on here with March cancellations waiting for refunds. Atleast have TA call again and get status &  call too and keep record of contact Incase you dispute. 

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Cancelled March 10th for a March 14th sailing, so getting close to the 90 day mark...

Our exact same dates.  Cancelled March 10 for a March 14 sailing.  Day 86 and we have our FCC but no $$.  

24 minutes ago, lanzie99 said:

What is the logic here not to involve Capital One if you have been waiting for almost 90 days?  Did you contact Capital One or otherwise investigate any deadline you might have to file a credit card dispute?

I just don't see why some would be so willing to advance interest free loans to a cruise company or otherwise risk their significant payments to the worse case outcomes (bankruptcy, etc..).  But then I suppose some willingly provide the US Treasury with significant interest free loans every year so they can get a 'refund'.

4 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Our exact same dates.  Cancelled March 10 for a March 14 sailing.  Day 86 and we have our FCC but no $$.  

I don't even have the FCC. I disputed and now have provisional credits on my two cards used and Paypal has ruled in my favour for shore excursions paid through them. Last time I called (2 weeks ago) customer relations told me nothing had been done on my booking and that I should be patient as I would get it processed eventually. This was after being told by a different rep that it had been processed on April 29th. I had really hoped Princess would come through so I wouldn't have to dispute it (in my entire life, I have NEVER had to dispute a charge for anything). Sadly, they have let me down - not as frustrated about the time it has taken, but super frustrated at the lack of communication, lack of transparency, and inconsistent information. They have 100% control over those three factors and have done nothing to help their brand or their customers in my opinion.

Refund Came!

Just wanted to let people know that today our full refund came on to our Visa. We cancelled March 12th.  We were suppose to sail on April 6th.  We received credit for the full price of cruise and two excursions.  We also have been credited on our account for future cruise credits.

There is Hope, just wait it out.

32 minutes ago, lanzie99 said:

I will say that Capital One were super easy to work with (or at least in Canada they were). They gave me a lot of really great info and were helpful and friendly when I spoke to them. They gave me provisional credit within 3 days and will contact me if they need more info from me. At least now I no longer have to deal with Princess agents - the bank will take that on. What I found most interesting was that they consider 15-20 days the reasonable timeframe to be refunded if the merchant has agreed to a refund or for services not received. When I told them Princess was saying up to 60 days and now not even giving a timeframe they initiated the dispute immediately.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PLGUN said:

Has anyone waited longer than 90 days?  We are at day 86!  Cancelled on 10 March for a cruise that was to depart on 23 May.  Wondering now that the cruise was cancelled by Princess if we have to start over with the dates.  What a mess.

More information:  I just got off the phone with our big box travel agency.  Interestingly I got an agent I have talked to several times.  She called Princess for me to see what was up with our +$12,000.00 refund with a $200.00 FCC.  We requested the cancellation on 10 March as I mentioned above.  Today I found out it may take another 90 days from the date of sailing.  According to Princess they are going by cruise date, not submission of refund request date.  I am appalled.  

Edited by PLGUN
spelling

1 hour ago, PLGUN said:

More information:  I just got off the phone with our big box travel agency.  Interestingly I got an agent I have talked to several times.  She called Princess for me to see what was up with our +$12,000.00 refund with a $200.00 FCC.  We requested the cancellation on 10 March as I mentioned above.  Today I found out it may take another 90 days from the date of sailing.  According to Princess they are going by cruise date, not submission of refund request date.  I am appalled.  

I do not believe they are processing refunds in any particular order, no matter what  they say. 

Got refunds for April 11 and May 9 cruises at the same time. 

2 hours ago, PLGUN said:

They are not processing by cruise date, despite what the reps at Princess are saying. This has already been admitted by the VP of Sales on a travel agent webinar. In addition, this email came out to TAs just this week:

Reality slows down our refund process, here are some information to tell you why refund has been processed not as fast as expected -

1. Our automated refund system in polar was not designed to give options, so we had to disable this feature and do everything manually.
  2. Our system was not set up to process this type of volume – guest choices and the need to manually process have created more difficulties.
  3. For each booking we have to calculate the refund amount, create the FCC and protect the commission.
  4. We cannot work in “voyage date order” as some bookings are more complicated and so much be researched in order to determine the refund amount.  While this research is conducted, our teams move on to process another booking while they wait for information on the previous booking.  
  5. Our finance teams are all working from home which slows communications

As I said earlier, communication, consistency, and transparency are key - Princess does not appear to have mastered any of them!

3 hours ago, lanzie99 said:

They are also neglecting their Elite members

3 hours ago, SCOOTERNINJA said:

What is the logic here not to involve Capital One if you have been waiting for almost 90 days?  Did you contact Capital One or otherwise investigate any deadline you might have to file a credit card dispute?

I just don't see why some would be so willing to advance interest free loans to a cruise company or otherwise risk their significant payments to the worse case outcomes (bankruptcy, etc..).  But then I suppose some willingly provide the US Treasury with significant interest free loans every year so they can get a 'refund'.

Right on schedule. 

17 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

As I said earlier, communication, consistency, and transparency are key - Princess does not appear to have mastered any of them!

Thank you for more details.  I agree about Princess.  Even an email from them would be nice.  Instead I continue to get emails to book cruises and absolutely nothing about refunds.  No way!  I've tried to get through the 132 pages of comments but ....

2 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

I do not believe they are processing refunds in any particular order, no matter what  they say. 

Got refunds for April 11 and May 9 cruises at the same time. 

I think they are also processing thousands of refunds and then sitting on them. On a certain date (let's say every 2 weeks starting a few weeks ago), they are released to the credit cards. I was told mine was processed 2 weeks earlier and then last Friday, they released them back to the credit cards.

This explains why a bunch of people all got refunds within a few days and then we waiting 2 more weeks and the same thing happened.

10 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

You only mentioned receiving a conditional credit.  Hence my answer.

But, it's only conditional because they haven't processed the refund that Princess provided yet because of their extreme workload.  All explained. 

9 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Confirmed by Princess or your credit card? I have never heard of a credit card taking a couple of weeks to process...a few days is the norm, even during COVID?

I am not in the habit of returning things that have hit my credit card so I didn't know this could take time but, I've read that it can take up to 45 days to process the sheer volume of refunds that are occurring ... I was very surprised to learn this. 

So glad we went the cc dispute route as we now have our full refund for our April 12th cruise (cancelled on March 12th by Princess with our option 2 request submitted that day).  

52 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

So glad we went the cc dispute route as we now have our full refund for our April 12th cruise (cancelled on March 12th by Princess with our option 2 request submitted that day).  

so happy for You!!!  Did you get  any FCC?

17 minutes ago, dog said:

so happy for You!!!  Did you get  any FCC?

sorry....should have added that the FCC came sometime ago.  Now we have to wait for the refund of our deposit for a September cruise (cancelled by Princess before FP).

Doing the travel “unplaning” to take all of our trip arrangements apart is no fun!

10 hours ago, lanzie99 said:

We went elite after our last cruise, the bad way they are handling these refunds and a complete lack of communication from them is upsetting, we may never cruise with princess again after this, we have a cruise booked next Easter but only deposit paid so far, princess need to up their game if they want to keep our custom. 73 days and counting, they owe us £12000.

8 hours ago, SunLakesBob said:

They are also neglecting their Elite members

how are they neglecting elites?

asking as I have just reached elite status. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, lanzie99 said:

OK, so my refund showed up Monday finally. Here's what I did to speed things along:

1. Sent an email to:
     customerrelations@princesscruises.com, csteinke@princesscruises.com, lwarren@princess.com, jswartz@princesscruises.com. Make sure the subject line of your email is something positive to entice them to read it. "Status of my refund" will get it redirected to email hell but "Why Princess is my favourite line" will undoubtedly suck someone in to read it. They need all the good news they can get right about now.
  2. Make sure your contact info is in the email and ask for a call back, not an email response.  Send a follow up email at least twice a day asking for a response and telling them you haven't received one yet. Princess President's office did call me eventually.
  3. Call your credit card company and tell them the dates that you sent emails or called and received no response. Challenge the charge because of the lack of response. 
  4. Wait. My cc company (Capital One) said they would give Princess 7 days to respond and after 7 days if no response was received, the charge would be removed from my card pending further investigation which could take 50 days. Meanwhile, on those 50 days the charge is not on your card.

Monday I received a call from Princess telling me that my refund had been released - exactly 7 days after my call to the cc company. They called today and told my wife that although they were refunding in chronological order, they wanted me to know they refunded ours in part to ease our concerns from the multiple emails. I'm sure a call from the CC company helped as well.

Keep on them and don't forget, they started this mess when they stopped the refunds. Don't take any pity on them because they're busy. That's nonsense.

We've taken 29 cruises, many on Princess and RCI. This refund affair has affected cruisers on many cruise lines. For us its left a very bad taste in our mouths and I don't think we're alone when I say that our attitude towards cruising may be irreparably changed. I think we all found out how much the loyalty program really means to the cruise lines when push comes to shove. 
Edited by nbsjcruiser