Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

Hi Guys,

We finally received all the refund from Princess, the last 2K showed up on my c c website (dated 6/4/20) today.  This nightmare is finally over for us. 

Ship Name:  Crown Princess

Sail date : 4/25/20 14 days Mediterranean  whatever

Deposit made:  5/8/2019

Final payment paid : 1/23/20 

Option 2 selected:  3/16/20

FCC posted:  4/23/20

First refund showed up:  6/3/20 (70% of the total owed, dated May 29, 2020, 79 days after the selection)

Final refund showed up:  6/8/20 (dated June 4, 2020, 84 days after the selection)

So, indeed it will take up to 90 days to get all your money back, no kidding!!!!😠

Compared to Princess,  a small tour company at Italy called ItalyTours.eu refunded all my money in one week, United airline (as much as I hated them) refunded me in two weeks after I cancelled my flights.... even Allianz refunded me 3 weeks after I contacted them!!!!  What can I say🤷‍♀️

Good luck to everyone that is still waiting!!!  I do believe they will refund eventually, they are just managing their cash flow, that's all!   

Janet

Edited by mfajxc99
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, mfajxc99 said:

Hi Guys,

We finally received all the refund from Princess, the last 2K showed up on my c c website (dated 6/4/20) today.  This nightmare is finally over for us. 

First refund showed up:  6/3/20 (70% of the total owed, dated May 29, 2020, 79 days after the selection)

Final refund showed up:  6/8/20 (dated June 4, 2020, 84 days after the selection)

So, indeed it will take up to 90 days to get all your money back, no kidding!!!!😠

Compared to Princess,  a small tour company at Italy called ItalyTours.eu refunded all my money in one week, United airline (as much as I hated them) refunded me in two weeks after I cancelled my flights.... even Allianz refunded me 3 weeks after I contacted them!!!!  What can I say🤷‍♀️

Good luck to everyone that is still waiting!!!  I do believe they will refund eventually, they are just managing their cash flow, that's all!   

Janet

Cashflow is my suspicions also  just wish they would be honest about it. Day 76 for us and still no progress.

17 minutes ago, mfajxc99 said:

Hi Guys,

Janet

Janet, I understand the time frame for refunds, but then again that tour company, and even United don't have the volume Princess is stuck with.  I mean, if you take the time to figure out the number of bookings per ship per cruise times the number of ships and the number of cruises involved, the figure is mindblowing!!!!  The money is sitting there.  I am one of the fortunate people who don't need the actual refund to cc due to current situation, but know there are many out there that could use the money.  But I truly believe that Princess is doing the best they can and be realistic.  They just can't hire thousands of people for a few months to get up to date.

But that said, I am glad to say my wait is over for my one cruise.  Now I still have three cancelled cruises I am waiting for, but based on this first cruise it will be a long while, but it will come through in the end, I truly believe.  But on to details......

Cruise Date:  03/15/20 ( Panama Canal Cruise)

Cancelled cruise myself:  03/06/20

Turned in form selecting option #2 after Princess cancelled same cruise on 03/12/20- turned in form online on 03/12/20

03/15/20:  Received credit on credit card for excursions, etc.

05/20/2020:  Received FCC in my Personalizer.  Amount was correct.

06/06/20:  Received full cost of cruise that I had paid including vac. insurance, etc. on my CC.

( You can see that this is exactly 90 days almost when I first cancelled!!!)

Pooh

Edited by PoohUnderstands

1 minute ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Janet, I understand the time frame for refunds, but then again that tour company, and even United don't have the volume Princess is stuck with.  I mean, if you take the time to figure out the number of bookings per ship per cruise times the number of ships and the number of cruises involved, the figure is mindblowing!!!!  The money is sitting there.

United doesn't have the volume Princess is stuck with?? I am guessing United had a much larger volume than Princess has.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RJAM3 said:

I started it the first week in May.  They gave a temp credit within a day.  During the wait time they sent two letters asking what I expected and why even though I stated both in my original complaint.  These need a response by mail not email.  Explained I had no communication from Princess at all and that I wanted cash .. had no use for credits of any kind including gift cards.  I received the credits on June 6th and 8th.  Be sure to respond to any letters.

Good luck!

Thanks!  So far, Citi has not sent me any questions about my dispute but they did give me the conditional credit within a couple of days.

hoping this will all be resolved soon.  I called Princess today and the rep said my refund was “processed” on 6/3.  When I asked how long it would take for me to receive it.  The rep said it would depend on my bank.  So hopefully any day now. 

Just now, Coral said:

United doesn't have the volume Princess is stuck with?? I am guessing United had a much larger volume than Princess has.

Not everyone flies United when cruising.  There are many more airlines to spread out refunds with and then there are those cruisers who drive to port, so I would say that the volume is not as high as Princess.  But that is just an opinion.  Grin.

Pooh

3 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Thanks!  So far, Citi has not sent me any questions about my dispute but they did give me the conditional credit within a couple of days.

hoping this will all be resolved soon.  I called Princess today and the rep said my refund was “processed” on 6/3.  When I asked how long it would take for me to receive it.  The rep said it would depend on my bank.  So hopefully any day now. 

Citi and Chase did not send me any questions either. Chase said they would only ask questions if Princess disputed my claims and then I would have to send them info to back up my claims.

9 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Not everyone flies United when cruising.  There are many more airlines to spread out refunds with and then there are those cruisers who drive to port, so I would say that the volume is not as high as Princess.  But that is just an opinion.  Grin.

Pooh

I agree not everyone flies United when cruising but there is a whole world out there that flies with out cruising. I found an article on March 10th (so before Princess did their 60 day pause) and it says that their bookings were down 70%. In April their traffic fell 97%. They were slashing their flights 90% in May.

I think United has far more customers than Princess has.

Here is a quote: “To help you understand how few people are flying in this environment, less than 200,000 people flew with us during the first two weeks of April this year, compared to more than 6 million during the same time in 2019, a 97 percent drop. And we expect to fly fewer people during the entire month of May than we did on a single day in May 2019.”

https://simpleflying.com/united-passenger-traffic-falls/ 

--------------

Do you think Princess carries 6 million on their ships over a 2 week period in April?

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

Just now, Coral said:

I agree not everyone flies United when cruising but there is a whole world out there that flies with out cruising. I found an article on March 10th (so before Princess did their 60 day pause) and it says that their bookings were down 70%.

I think United has far more customers than Princess has.

Probably also the process to refund is easier for an airline than a cruise co. too.  There are just so many more variables involved with cruise bookings that a real person has to review and handle.  Maybe easier and more automated with just an airfare to refund.  Need to keep that in mind too.  I was a bookkeeper in my prior life (grin) and the thought of what Princess has to check and do and then refund and then see if the cc co. has already done so, etc. is just mind blowing to me.  

Pooh

2 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Probably also the process to refund is easier for an airline than a cruise co. too.  There are just so many more variables involved with cruise bookings that a real person has to review and handle.  Maybe easier and more automated with just an airfare to refund.  Need to keep that in mind too.  I was a bookkeeper in my prior life (grin) and the thought of what Princess has to check and do and then refund and then see if the cc co. has already done so, etc. is just mind blowing to me.  

Pooh

I guess we are going to have to disagree. By Princess's own words - they turned off auto refunds. United by far has more volume and they exercised far better when it comes to refunds. I currently work in IT and this is not rocket science. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I guess we are going to have to disagree. By Princess's own words - they turned off auto refunds. United by far has more volume and they exercised far better when it comes to refunds. I currently work in IT and this is not rocket science. 

Yep, it is what it is, but then I have had some orders for stuff from small companies that haven't come even after 60 days etc.  Thank goodness for credit card policies!  I guess I am just shaking my head at how messed up retail is on all levels due to Covid 19 and the sometimes ridiculous regulations and policies in place that are hindering the  availability and flow of goods!  Sometimes I am too understanding and patient!  Grin.

Pooh

I am happy to report that as of today (June 8), I have received all my refunds and my FCC from my March 7 Grand Princess cruise that Princess cancelled on March 4.  

Edited by mbglib
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RJAM3 said:

I started it the first week in March  They gave a temp credit within a day.  During the wait time they sent two letters asking what I expected and why even though I stated both in my original complaint.  These need a response by mail not email.  Explained I had no communication from Princess at all and that I wanted cash .. had no use for credits of any kind including gift cards.  I received the credits on June 6th and 8th.  Be sure to respond to any letters.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, RJAM3 said:

I started it the first week in May.  They gave a temp credit within a day.  During the wait time they sent two letters asking what I expected and why even though I stated both in my original complaint.  These need a response by mail not email.  Explained I had no communication from Princess at all and that I wanted cash .. had no use for credits of any kind including gift cards.  I received the credits on June 6th and 8th.  Be sure to respond to any letters.

Good luck!

ERROR.  I meant 1st week of March.    sorry

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Pooh

Sorry, but there is NO excuse for the Princess delays in refunding.  

• Like 6

I called Princess today and the first thing I asked about was the fact that I haven't gotten a single email from them since May 6th, and that my email address in my profile has an error message under it asking me to supply another email address.  I did that but I know for a fact that I have missed two Elite booking emails since then.  They noticed some conflicts on my account but I am not hopeful that they figured out the problem and the next level of support had no insights either.

The person I spoke to happened to be the same agent I had spoken to the last time I called about the status of my refund and FCCs.  That call was at the 30 day post-cancellation mark and today is day 90.  She looked and said that she could not see that I elected Option 2, could not see that my refund had been processed - not even the partial refund that I received almost immediately, and did not see that my FCCs had been built.  She advised patience, that it's taking a long time since every reservation is different, etc., that it hadn't fallen into the cracks.  Still feel like it's Groundhog Day...

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I called Princess today and the first thing I asked about was the fact that I haven't gotten a single email from them since May 6th, and that my email address in my profile has an error message under it asking me to supply another email address.  I did that but I know for a fact that I have missed two Elite booking emails since then.  They noticed some conflicts on my account but I am not hopeful that they figured out the problem and the next level of support had no insights either.

The person I spoke to happened to be the same agent I had spoken to the last time I called about the status of my refund and FCCs.  That call was at the 30 day post-cancellation mark and today is day 90.  She looked and said that she could not see that I elected Option 2, could not see that my refund had been processed - not even the partial refund that I received almost immediately, and did not see that my FCCs had been built.  She advised patience, that it's taking a long time since every reservation is different, etc., that it hadn't fallen into the cracks.  Still feel like it's Groundhog Day...

Beyond frustrating...

• Like 4

Our cruise was scheduled for March 13 but was cancelled by Princess on March 12.  We selected Option 2 on March 12.  On April 3, we received our FCC.  On May 20 (credit date May 15), we received our final payment amount.  On May 25 (credit date May 15), we were refunded for our shore excursions and bottled water.  And on June 8 (credit date June 4), we were refunded our FCD amount.  We have now been fully refunded.

• Like 3

We, knowing our cruise (British Isles) this month, was highly unlikely to proceed, cancelled all our excursions and onboard purchases in March before the cruises even started to get cancelled. 

Once cruises began to get cancelled I called to find out when we would receive those refunds and was told 60 days from our request.

i called again last week as now we’re over 60 days to be told they would now be refunded when they refund the cruise which will be 60 days after sail date. (5 months wait from when we requested)

i get the 60 days for cruise refund but needless to say extremely frustrated that they are trying to add on an extra 3 months to reimburse the excursions.

needless to say we filed dispute with cc.

I’ve sailed with Princess before but this was DH’s first cruise with them and after this I doubt I’ll be able to persuade him to ever sail with them in the future. (We have had 6 cruises cancelled so far with 4 cruise lines but this has definitely been the most hard work to deal with)

Edited by Spurschick
  • Like 4

On 6/8/2020 at 12:26 AM, SIMMY67 said:

DH and I were to sail on the Grand Princess August 15, 2020 cruise which Princess cancelled.  So far received only Princess Booking Refund Request Receipt dated April 16th, and last week their generic email that our refund is "in their queue."    The Receipt stated "it may take up to 60 days for your refund to be processed."    When day 61 arrives without refund, I'll probably contact Chase Credit Card.

@DavidandHeather

I dont know if you missed it, 2 days back the above is someone on the same cruise as you  so you can compare progress here with the US

Edited by Aulanis
Whoops wrong D&H - sorry David&Heather

6 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Our patience and understanding has run out, no doubt yours has too.

• Like 3

Pleased to confirm our refund has now come through. The FCC appeared about a week ago, and the refund is today showing on the credit card backdated to 4th June, exactly 60 working days after submitting the claim (84 normal days). We submitted the claim on 12th March, 25th April sailing. If I’m being cynical I’m guessing it was scheduled with it being exactly 60 working days, but either way am pleased. Hope others start to come through.  As much as I’m frustrated at how long it’s taken, I will cruise with Princess again, it’s more the virus determining when I want/can cruise again rather than the refund experience. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 1:09 PM, Aulanis said:

What would be really useful would be if all members posting   would please advise the name  of the               ................... SHIP  &   CRUISE DATE

That would  make it really helpful to others  who may have been on the same Ship/cruise.  

Edited by Aulanis
  • Like 2

We finally got our refund of our two FCD that we requested to be refunded on March 20 because we knew we would never use them.  It showed up on our credit card June 4. (we just found out today although my dh has been checking often and can't believe he hadn't checked in the last 5 days).  Took 76 days.  

Now all we have to do is wait for our canceled July 1 cruise along with the shore excursions.  The shore excursions paid is over $500 and the FCD used for deposit would go back on our personalizer.  At that point we will probably have to ask for it to be refunded so will be waiting a long time for that money back!

• Like 1