Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
lahore

Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

Recommended Posts

Called Princess today—-got the normal run around—-told my refund would be $2300 total.  I explained that I calculated almost double that amount when you added air fare.  Her response was “sorry, didn’t see that on your booking—-oh, there it is”.  Each time I asked about something else like taxes, insurance, transfers, she said the same thing.  I have now figured out that they absolutely have NO idea what they are doing.  If you have received your credit card refund, you should feel really really lucky!!!   Transparency isn’t an issue because they have no clue what needs to be done.  Makes me wonder if trusting them with my safety on a future cruise is a wise decision?  Princess has some major problems that they need to address.  Sweeping all this under the rug for a few FCC’s is not the answer!  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

Called Princess today—-got the normal run around—-told my refund would be $2300 total.  I explained that I calculated almost double that amount when you added air fare.  Her response was “sorry, didn’t see that on your booking—-oh, there it is”.  Each time I asked about something else like taxes, insurance, transfers, she said the same thing.  I have now figured out that they absolutely have NO idea what they are doing.  If you have received your credit card refund, you should feel really really lucky!!!   Transparency isn’t an issue because they have no clue what needs to be done.  Makes me wonder if trusting them with my safety on a future cruise is a wise decision?  Princess has some major problems that they need to address.  Sweeping all this under the rug for a few FCC’s is not the answer!  

 

 

 

 

Had the runaround too, far from.happy and the promised call back from a manager in the UK didnt happed, called again this evening and was answered in the US and more questions and doubts raised with none answered by princess. Giving it until Monday when I am.next off work and if nothing has changed or progressed I will instruct my bank to initiate a Visa charge back. It will be 83 days on Monday more than sufficient time to at least get an explanation or even an acknowledgement, had nothing other than cancellation notice dated 24th March. They keep asking for our patience and understanding but it's now long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 10:44 AM, CHB007 said:

Our credit from Princess of a little over $6k showed up on to our Costco Citi Card balance on June 2 (Posted in May).  Did a chat with Costco Citi Card rep that day to request the credit back to our registered checking account that we pay the Citi cc bill with.  We were told the same as you , it would be 3-5 days to process.  Called today since it has not happened yet, and has been over 7 days, and over 5 business days.  The rep today said our credit refund was at the supervisor approval level due to the large credit amount , and that can step itself can take up to 3 days.  Just FYI that it may take longer than the time they originally stated.  7-10 Days might be more appropriate.  

Thanks for the heads-up.  Find it odd, but waited this long, anyway.  They may want to reverse the reward that was originally credited last year?

Wonder if the lag-time on the refund date and posting was on Princess or Citi?  Usually "pending" amounts are shown quickly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

Thanks for the heads-up.  Find it odd, but waited this long, anyway.  They may want to reverse the reward that was originally credited last year?

Wonder if the lag-time on the refund date and posting was on Princess or Citi?  Usually "pending" amounts are shown quickly.

 

Did not ask about the reward for using for travel, thought I would "play dumb" and let them figure it out, but that may be part of the delay to put the balance into my checking account, still not there as of today.  I think everyone is seeing a lag of a few days in the time from when it posts from Princess to showing up in the account balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my May 4 Sapphire Princess cruise cancelled by Princess in Phase 1 on March 12. On June 2 I received my FCC and FCD was returned. On June 10 I received my full refund in my bank account. All amounts are correct. It took a while but it came through eventually! Hope all of you who are are still waiting (and I know there are an awful lot of you) get your refunds and FCC soon! 😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 11:42 PM, SunLakesBob said:

Is Princess refunding based on cancelation date or cruise date?

Cruise date.  Which is unfair when I cancelled when I was still in the 100% window, independent of any "pauses" but I got lumped in with "pause 2" and have to wait until Princess "get around to it".

I paid in full in January for a July cruise (will never go with ***** again as they have been useless in this process - actually worse than useless, because I booked with an American travel agent, my Australian account doesn't show the cruise, nor will Princess Australia deal with me) and so Princess are breaching their contract by insisting I wait until - when?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fredette said:

because I booked with an American travel agent, my Australian account doesn't show the cruise, nor will Princess Australia deal with me)

huh, why did you book it that way ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, voljeep said:

huh, why did you book it that way ???

I booked it because they had a good rate, but the service in this situation has been below par.

I understand that a lot of agents weren't working (although why they couldn't work from home to service their clients I don't understand) but there was apparently no-one there for a couple of weeks - it looked as if the company had folded for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was part of the phase 2 pause. I had a May 17 Alaska cruise cancelled by Princess. I put in my request for a refund the very first day (April 14) and I did get an email confirmation. I have been checking my Princess account daily to see if the FCD I used to book with, was put back into my account. Just today I see that it is back, which gives me hope they are beginning to  process my refund. I did check my credit card and there isn't a refund yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fredette said:

Cruise date.  Which is unfair when I cancelled when I was still in the 100% window, independent of any "pauses" but I got lumped in with "pause 2" and have to wait until Princess "get around to it".

I paid in full in January for a July cruise (will never go with ***** again as they have been useless in this process - actually worse than useless, because I booked with an American travel agent, my Australian account doesn't show the cruise, nor will Princess Australia deal with me) and so Princess are breaching their contract by insisting I wait until - when?

Booking under US TA means booking under US rules.  There are no U.S. regulations that define when a travel company must process a refund. In the US you can dispute your credit card and get your money back that way.  Do not know if you have that option in Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, npcl said:

Booking under US TA means booking under US rules.  There are no U.S. regulations that define when a travel company must process a refund. In the US you can dispute your credit card and get your money back that way.  Do not know if you have that option in Australia.

Interestingly enough, the US TA provided us with a link to the booking terms, which take us back to the Australian Princess site, so the cruise was actually booked under Australian rules as they have not provided us with any other terms and conditions.  Usual business practice provides for REASONABLE time frames.  As my refund was requested independantly of any "pause arrangements" then it should have been processed in a reasonable time frame.  No court would consider three months (and counting) reasonable, when all they had to do was to refund cash, no calculations required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 4:38 PM, hpeabody said:

Hey,  after us!  The little Pacific Princess was in the middle of the Indian Ocean when our 111 day World Cruise that began in January was abruptly ended (was due to end cruise May 11 in LA) and we made a u-turn past Sri Lanka and were put off the ship in Fremantle, Australia March 21st to make our way home.  AFIK, NONE of us about 600 passengers has received the promised refunds (in the tens of thousands of dollars) and bonus FCC to date and we have had ZERO communication from Princess.

Hey, same thing here.  We also on that ship.  Clearly Princess is not refunding based on cruise date since ours was Jan 2020.  Nor on end date since we were forced to disembark on March 21. They owe me the balance in my on-board folio account (a few thousand since all the shore excursions were cancelled). Plus reimbursement for baggage fees since we clealry had more luggage than the standard for air (Princess paid directly for airfare form Australia to LA).  Plus, of course, the refund (option 2).

 

When I spoke to them last week, they said that the Pacific Princess would be processed LAST since it was the last ship to return to port with passengers aboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

I had my May 4 Sapphire Princess cruise cancelled by Princess in Phase 1 on March 12. On June 2 I received my FCC and FCD was returned. On June 10 I received my full refund in my bank account. All amounts are correct. It took a while but it came through eventually! Hope all of you who are are still waiting (and I know there are an awful lot of you) get your refunds and FCC soon! 😊

 

Thanks for the post. It does give me hope that our May 12th World Cruise from Sydney may get refunded before the end of June. People seem to have been waiting around the 90 day mark for refunds. If only Princess could be more transparent and perhaps put on their website what cruise date they are currently processing and maybe how many refunds they are dealing with both in total and daily but I'm an optimist.

 

In my working life I thought that it required up to 10 times more resources to attract a new customer than retain an old one but maybe that is a lesson Princess management have not learnt yet!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I am curious about this too. I disputed my charges on May 25th and, up until that point had received nothing. No FCC and no refund. I had called the week prior to ask about status and was told that because I had cancelled 2 days prior to Princess, my booking would not even be looked at until after all of the Princess cancellations had been completed (the previous time I asked, I was told that mine had been processed on April 29th - go figure). The not knowing and the conflicting info were what prompted me to dispute. Last night, my FCCs showed up in my personaliser. Still no refund, but at least evidence that something is happening. Did the dispute prompt them to open up my booking, or was this the timeframe it would have happened anyway? Who knows. For me, it was more about the peace of mind that one way or another I would get some money back.

 

This was for a March 14th sailing, cancelled by me on March 10th. So 92 total days until FCC showed up. Still waiting on $$ from Princess but have temp credits from bank.


I am doubtful that cc disputes prompt any action on a refund.  I say this as in early May I disputed 3 cc payments (deposit, FP, and excursions) following the March 12 cancelation of our April cruise (option 2 with FCC applied much earlier).  By late May the last of the 3 amounts was refunded as a result of the dispute then this week Princess refunded our deposit and FP.  So, right now we have a double credit for most of what we were owed ( I am now waiting a little to see if Visa sorts this out before I do another long wait on hold trying to reach their dispute centre by phone).  If the cc dispute had prompted anything within Princess I don’t think this would have happened as if they had paid any attention to dispute I don’t think they would have issued a refund.

 

Just a guess and I hope your situation is all resolved soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Carnevale said:


I am doubtful that cc disputes prompt any action on a refund.  I say this as in early May I disputed 3 cc payments (deposit, FP, and excursions) following the March 12 cancelation of our April cruise (option 2 with FCC applied much earlier).  By late May the last of the 3 amounts was refunded as a result of the dispute then this week Princess refunded our deposit and FP.  So, right now we have a double credit for most of what we were owed ( I am now waiting a little to see if Visa sorts this out before I do another long wait on hold trying to reach their dispute centre by phone).  If the cc dispute had prompted anything within Princess I don’t think this would have happened as if they had paid any attention to dispute I don’t think they would have issued a refund.

 

Just a guess and I hope your situation is all resolved soon.

I suspect that you are correct. I wonder if disputes are resolved in favour of the customer simply due to the fact that Princess is not responding to the banks? You would think that, if they had responded, then they would have records of the fact that the money was being refunded by the credit card company and thus would not double refund? Having said that, it seems as if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing right now. I am still baffled at how they could have messed this all up so very badly on all counts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cancelled March 6th, for a May 16 cruise on the Regal.  This was when their first offer to cancel with no penalties was offered.  There had been no cancelled cruises yet.  We are still waiting for our refund.  Today I was told it was in a que (whatever that means).  97 days and still waiting.  😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

 I have now figured out that they absolutely have NO idea what they are doing.

 

 

The reps that answer the calls probably are not directly involved in the refund processing. Those that are directly involved should know exactly what they are doing.

 

The disconnect is that the phone reps are not being given any sort of fact current sheet they can refer to so that all the reps would have the same facts in front of them to pass on to the callers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caribill said:

 

The reps that answer the calls probably are not directly involved in the refund processing. Those that are directly involved should know exactly what they are doing.

 

The disconnect is that the phone reps are not being given any sort of fact current sheet they can refer to so that all the reps would have the same facts in front of them to pass on to the callers.

 

If you paid by card go to your bank and get them to do a charge back  I will be doing this on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW!!!     Got a cheque today for our home bound expenses-

Hurray that is " Real Money"   as we had to pay that over and above

our cruise package and was not " a goodwill money payment "  or FCC 

It is  also the only real sign that we might get the rest soon.   🤞

ie before the next cancellation phase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Conal4749 said:

We cancelled March 6th, for a May 16 cruise on the Regal.  This was when their first offer to cancel with no penalties was offered.  There had been no cancelled cruises yet.  We are still waiting for our refund.  Today I was told it was in a que (whatever that means).  97 days and still waiting.  😡

 

A "queue" is simply a line.  It implies that processing is done in a first in, first out order, but clearly Princess is not working this way.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A question here.  Maybe I am a bit dense but here is my situation. We had an August cruise that I cancelled in April  before Princess canceled it a month later.  The representative told me that it would take 60 days for refund.  Even though I cancelled should I fill out the on line form to cancel also?  Sounds like a lot of people have done that.  I am not interested in FCC, so I am concerned that if I don't fill out the form by June 15, I will get stuck with FCC only.  Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WF2747 said:

A question here.  Maybe I am a bit dense but here is my situation. We had an August cruise that I cancelled in April  before Princess canceled it a month later.  The representative told me that it would take 60 days for refund.  Even though I cancelled should I fill out the on line form to cancel also?  Sounds like a lot of people have done that.  I am not interested in FCC, so I am concerned that if I don't fill out the form by June 15, I will get stuck with FCC only.  Thanks for any help or suggestions.

We did the same as you; cancelled our cruise before Princess did.  We attempted to use the online link to select Options but it did not recognize our booking number.  Even after Princess cancelled and retroactively lumped us into the ‘options’ group.  What happens when you enter your booking number?

 

We cancelled March 16 for a May 19 cruisetour. Only thing from Princess thus far is an email yesterday offering OBC if we rebook.  🤔.  Hmmm, with what exactly?  No FCC, no refund, nothing from Princess.  But we only have until June 30 to take advantage of this fabulous offer.  No. Thank. You.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WF2747 said:

A question here.  Maybe I am a bit dense but here is my situation. We had an August cruise that I cancelled in April  before Princess canceled it a month later.  The representative told me that it would take 60 days for refund.  Even though I cancelled should I fill out the on line form to cancel also?  Sounds like a lot of people have done that.  I am not interested in FCC, so I am concerned that if I don't fill out the form by June 15, I will get stuck with FCC only.  Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Unfortunately this may be the case where 'ask 3 Princess employees get 4 answers' BUT I heard that if you do not specifically request a refund you get FCC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cherylandtk said:

We did the same as you; cancelled our cruise before Princess did.  We attempted to use the online link to select Options but it did not recognize our booking number.  Even after Princess cancelled and retroactively lumped us into the ‘options’ group.  What happens when you enter your booking number?

 

We cancelled March 16 for a May 19 cruisetour. Only thing from Princess thus far is an email yesterday offering OBC if we rebook.  🤔.  Hmmm, with what exactly?  No FCC, no refund, nothing from Princess.  But we only have until June 30 to take advantage of this fabulous offer.  No. Thank. You.

Did put the booking number in the online form requesting only a full refund and as like you did not recognize it.  I believe this is because both you and I cancelled before Princess cancelled the cruise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, WF2747 said:

Did put the booking number in the online form requesting only a full refund and as like you did not recognize it.  I believe this is because both you and I cancelled before Princess cancelled the cruise.  

We had cancelled before Princess did. Our booking number worked when we put it in.

We did that the day it was announced we would be compensated and to pick which way option one or two.(took 2)

It was also before the actual date the ship would have sailed (April 21). Early June we  got most refunded,  bonus FCC,and our future cruise deposit a week later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...