Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
lahore

Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

Recommended Posts

Good news 

6/6 Alaska Cruise from Vancouver 

cancelled by us on 4/4

full refunds FINALLY 7/2

lots of stress now taken off our backs.

i hope everyone gets their refunds soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ralph1212 said:

Good news 

6/6 Alaska Cruise from Vancouver 

cancelled by us on 4/4

full refunds FINALLY 7/2

lots of stress now taken off our backs.

i hope everyone gets their refunds soon. 

Congrats! I understand the stress off your back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Finally received something from Princess after 115 days. It was not what we expected (A$37K) but a start (A$11K). It was paid by cheque drawn on an Australian bank by Carnival Australia on 2 July and not credited to our bank account as originally advised.

 

The amount refunded is the amount expected if Princess withhold a 75% cancellation fee at the time that our incompetent Princess cruise holiday planner cancelled the booking (13 March). We did ask for the cancellation on 9 March as the 75% cancellation fee kicked in on 10 March and he assured us that it was being backdated. On 31 March we did fill out the online form to request a full cash refund (Option 2) on our cruise holiday planner's instructions after Princess formally cancelled our cruise and that was automatically acknowledged. In a call to Princess last week it was acknowledged that we asked for the full cash refund.

 

So not sure where we stand but definitely don't want any FCCs. We are both in our 70s and whilst we would like to cruise again we want to see how the cruise industry reacts in the future and would like the time to consider future travel plans.

 

So we will continue to be patient but it looks like we are in the land of Princess frustration for a while longer, but maybe resolution next week - ever hopeful

Edited by Jandaville
additional info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know some on here (like me) disputed with credit cards after getting no joy from Princess and some of those that did have since received refunds from Princess. Just wondering what process (if any) you followed? I filed a dispute at day 75 and now have temp credits on my cards for the full amount paid to Princess. I have only contacted Princess once since filing the dispute and was told that my refund was processed on June 23rd. I still haven't seen that. I'm now wondering if I even need to worry about it anymore. I don't intend to contact them again, but assume that either the temp credits becomes permanent or Princess pays up and the credits disappear? Anyone out there have anything different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jandaville said:

The amount refunded is the amount expected if Princess withhold a 75% cancellation fee at the time that our incompetent Princess cruise holiday planner cancelled the booking (13 March). We did ask for the cancellation on 9 March as the 75% cancellation fee kicked in on 10 March and he assured us that it was being backdated.

 

So not sure where we stand but definitely don't want any FCCs. We are both in our 70s and whilst we would like to cruise again we want to see how the cruise industry reacts in the future and would like the time to consider future travel plans.

 

Tricky times that 1 cancellaton period, but I am not sure what you are saying.

You cancelled on the 9th  when cancellation fees would be 50% ?

Cruise planner actually cancelled on  13th  which was the date Princess cancelled in 1st phase?  when you could  maybe have had  a full cash refund.

However you asked for it to be backdated to 9th   which they did  and that would mean you would have got 50% cash  only.

They then introduced a "compassionate" refund  stage which  would have given  50% cash plus 50%   as FCC.    If it was  not rolled back you would have got  25% cash & 75% FCC which it looks like you have got.

Maybe try and contact others on your cruise and see what they got if they didnt cancel early and what they were offered  when  pause 1 kicked in.

Also check again with Princess as the rep on the phone may not be aware the full details of your case and may only be going off  what would happen in a normal   phase 1 cancellation when Princess cancelled first.

Edited by Aulanis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aulanis said:

 

Tricky times that 1 cancellaton period, but I am not sure what you are saying.

You cancelled on the 9th  when cancellation fees would be 50% ?

Cruise planner actually cancelled on  13th  which was the date Princess cancelled in 1st phase?  when you could  maybe have had  a full cash refund.

However you asked for it to be backdated to 9th   which they did  and that would mean you would have got 50% cash  only.

They then introduced a "compassionate" refund  stage which  would have given  50% cash plus 50%   as FCC.    If it was  not rolled back you would have got  25% cash & 75% FCC which it looks like you have got.

Maybe try and contact others on your cruise and see what they got if they didnt cancel early and what they were offered  when  pause 1 kicked in.

Also check again with Princess as the rep on the phone may not be aware the full details of your case and may only be going off  what would happen in a normal   phase 1 cancellation when Princess cancelled first.

I cancelled March 6th which was the last day at 75% cancellation rate. Princess cancelled March 12th.  They said they would go back and offer a 100% refund for anyone who cancelled February 4th and on. This was for cruises from March 12th and the next 60 days. I know this is for the US and I assume elsewhere.

 

It is possible that you will receive several refunds (one for cruise, one for excursions, etc...) It is probably best to call Princess and ask where everything stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aulanis said:

 

Tricky times that 1 cancellaton period, but I am not sure what you are saying.

You cancelled on the 9th  when cancellation fees would be 50% ? YES

Cruise planner actually cancelled on  13th  which was the date Princess cancelled in 1st phase?  when you could  maybe have had  a full cash refund. CORRECT

However you asked for it to be backdated to 9th   which they did  and that would mean you would have got 50% cash  only.

They then introduced a "compassionate" refund  stage which  would have given  50% cash plus 50%   as FCC.    If it was  not rolled back you would have got  25% cash & 75% FCC which it looks like you have got.

Maybe try and contact others on your cruise and see what they got if they didnt cancel early and what they were offered  when  pause 1 kicked in.

Also check again with Princess as the rep on the phone may not be aware the full details of your case and may only be going off  what would happen in a normal   phase 1 cancellation when Princess cancelled first.

 

On 12 March Princess issued the 60 Day Pause which ran to the day before our 12May cruise was due to start

60 Day Pause.pdf

Then on 31 March they officially cancelled our 12 May cruise and offered the full refund which the CHP said we would be entitled to after we filled out their website form and selected option 2.

 

Unfortunately trying to contact anyone at Princess who can help is very difficult but will persist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I know some on here (like me) disputed with credit cards after getting no joy from Princess and some of those that did have since received refunds from Princess. Just wondering what process (if any) you followed? I filed a dispute at day 75 and now have temp credits on my cards for the full amount paid to Princess. I have only contacted Princess once since filing the dispute and was told that my refund was processed on June 23rd. I still haven't seen that. I'm now wondering if I even need to worry about it anymore. I don't intend to contact them again, but assume that either the temp credits becomes permanent or Princess pays up and the credits disappear? Anyone out there have anything different?


my experience with filing dispute with credit cards is to let them resolve it check your account online and it should show dispute status if not call credit card company. 

 

 

 

Edited by dog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I know some on here (like me) disputed with credit cards after getting no joy from Princess and some of those that did have since received refunds from Princess. Just wondering what process (if any) you followed? I filed a dispute at day 75 and now have temp credits on my cards for the full amount paid to Princess. I have only contacted Princess once since filing the dispute and was told that my refund was processed on June 23rd. I still haven't seen that. I'm now wondering if I even need to worry about it anymore. I don't intend to contact them again, but assume that either the temp credits becomes permanent or Princess pays up and the credits disappear? Anyone out there have anything different?


It will depend on the credit card what the process is. The credit card people give you the temp credit and then attempt to pull the funds back from princess. They have a certain number of days (I think mine is 3  billing cycles) to respond after which the credit becomes permanent. OR princess can respond that its an invalid claim (hard to do unless they can show their own credit). In that case you show your evidence, princess show theirs and the credit cards dispute process determines the winner.

If princess eventually refund then usually the credit card people will notice and remove the credit - or you can simply email them. Keeping both would be fraud no matter how nice it is to double dip.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, andydunn said:


It will depend on the credit card what the process is. The credit card people give you the temp credit and then attempt to pull the funds back from princess. They have a certain number of days (I think mine is 3  billing cycles) to respond after which the credit becomes permanent. OR princess can respond that its an invalid claim (hard to do unless they can show their own credit). In that case you show your evidence, princess show theirs and the credit cards dispute process determines the winner.

If princess eventually refund then usually the credit card people will notice and remove the credit - or you can simply email them. Keeping both would be fraud no matter how nice it is to double dip.

 

I am still waiting for Citi to refund my Princess refund. They are still verifying???????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SunLakesBob said:

I am still waiting for Citi to refund my Princess refund. They are still verifying???????????

Strange, all the credit cards I've ever done a dispute with have given a temporary credit almost immediately with the warning that they will claw it back if the dispute isn't found in your favor. 

Maybe Citi is different...  you'll have to find their T&C for that card to see the full process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jandaville said:

Finally received something from Princess after 115 days. It was not what we expected (A$37K) but a start (A$11K). It was paid by cheque drawn on an Australian bank by Carnival Australia on 2 July and not credited to our bank account as originally advised.

 

The amount refunded is the amount expected if Princess withhold a 75% cancellation fee at the time that our incompetent Princess cruise holiday planner cancelled the booking (13 March). We did ask for the cancellation on 9 March as the 75% cancellation fee kicked in on 10 March and he assured us that it was being backdated. On 31 March we did fill out the online form to request a full cash refund (Option 2) on our cruise holiday planner's instructions after Princess formally cancelled our cruise and that was automatically acknowledged. In a call to Princess last week it was acknowledged that we asked for the full cash refund.

 

So not sure where we stand but definitely don't want any FCCs. We are both in our 70s and whilst we would like to cruise again we want to see how the cruise industry reacts in the future and would like the time to consider future travel plans.

 

So we will continue to be patient but it looks like we are in the land of Princess frustration for a while longer, but maybe resolution next week - ever hopeful

We cancelled an April cruise on March 11 - the day before Princess cancelled. At that time, the cancellation fee (50%) was applied to a future cruise per a Princess offer. We subsequently requested Option 2 and when the refund was finally processed (June 18), it did not include the 50% which had been previously applied as FCC. (The 25% FCC for Option 2 had already been added to our account.) So, TA called and was told that Princess would correct the error and we should receive the refund in 7-14 days because "they are all caught up on the refunds." Coming up on day 14 this week. You might want to call and see if they same thing happened on your account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, andydunn said:

Strange, all the credit cards I've ever done a dispute with have given a temporary credit almost immediately with the warning that they will claw it back if the dispute isn't found in your favor. 

Maybe Citi is different...  you'll have to find their T&C for that card to see the full process. 

This is not a dispute. It is the cash from the Princess refund that I requested be sent to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SunLakesBob said:

This is not a dispute. It is the cash from the Princess refund that I requested be sent to me.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I was replying to a post about people who did credit card disputes. Nobody has any clue what is happening at princess... 166 pages of forums posts are testament to that 😉

 

Which is why myself and many others did a dispute after the original 90 day promise was broken and already have our money back through the other process. This is one of the great things about credit cards so why not use those benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SunLakesBob said:

I am still waiting for Citi to refund my Princess refund. They are still verifying???????????

My partial refund took about a week for the bank to fully credit.  It appeared 3 days after Princess said they sent it, disappeared the next day, reappeared two days later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Chase credit card sent me my cash in 2 days My Citi card is still verifying the refund from Princess even though Chase had more cash to deal with. May not use my Citi card any more for travel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andydunn said:


If princess eventually refund then usually the credit card people will notice and remove the credit - or you can simply email them. Keeping both would be fraud no matter how nice it is to double dip.

 

Lol - if I'm ever fortunate enough to find myself in that situation, do you think Princess would find it acceptable for me to say I will repay them in 90 days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Lol - if I'm ever fortunate enough to find myself in that situation, do you think Princess would find it acceptable for me to say I will repay them in 90 days?

🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one that sounds new to me.  Princess canceled my May 23rd Alaska cruise on April 14; and asked me whether I wanted cruise credit or a refund.  I requested a refund and soon after received an e-mail from Princess stating "This is your Princess Booking refund request receipt", with a confirmation number.  Called today to see how the refund was progressing and was told they had me scheduled for an FCC.  How can this be, I asked, since I have a confirmation in my hand that promises a refund?  They didn't know, said things were messed up and they would fix it.   I don't trust Princess anymore.  Maybe they will fix it, maybe not, but I have now disputed the credit card charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to cc disputes, I'm almost done with this Princess drama....

 

I will be 3 for 3 as cc (chase southwest) ruled in MY favor. (any doubts?) lol

and will be crediting my acct. shortly. (took a couple days for the other 2)

 

So thats May, June & Sept cruises All reimbursed, and I didn't have to WAIT for

Princess to do it. (some of the charges were from last summer, didn't matter, all refunded)

 

Disputes I filed online.  They told me I had to fill out a form & mail back, which I did.

It was very simple to fill out.  Within a couple weeks, I got notification refund on the way.

 

Am I worried about Princ stepping up to the plate to Also refund me?  Hell no!

 

I can't say it enough........ file dispute & Let your cc get the cashback for you. 😗

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JerrySueW said:

We cancelled an April cruise on March 11 - the day before Princess cancelled. At that time, the cancellation fee (50%) was applied to a future cruise per a Princess offer. We subsequently requested Option 2 and when the refund was finally processed (June 18), it did not include the 50% which had been previously applied as FCC. (The 25% FCC for Option 2 had already been added to our account.) So, TA called and was told that Princess would correct the error and we should receive the refund in 7-14 days because "they are all caught up on the refunds." Coming up on day 14 this week. You might want to call and see if they same thing happened on your account.

Thanks for your comments and your situation sounds very similar to ours. I will wait for 14 days and see what happens before I try to get someone at Princess who is willing to investigate. We do have 2 more cancelled cruises for Princess to process so are in for a long haul but luckily these cruises only have deposits paid and not the full amount.

 

In the meantime I'm happy to prune the roses and get some spring bulbs planted and try to not think of Princess in our winter sunshine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I know some on here (like me) disputed with credit cards after getting no joy from Princess and some of those that did have since received refunds from Princess. Just wondering what process (if any) you followed? I filed a dispute at day 75 and now have temp credits on my cards for the full amount paid to Princess. I have only contacted Princess once since filing the dispute and was told that my refund was processed on June 23rd. I still haven't seen that. I'm now wondering if I even need to worry about it anymore. I don't intend to contact them again, but assume that either the temp credits becomes permanent or Princess pays up and the credits disappear? Anyone out there have anything different?


Like you, I am in Canada and while credit cards here will vary, our experiences may be a little similar.  I disputed with Visa in early May and after three weeks they credited my account for the three outstanding amounts (deposit, FP, excursions).  Approximately two weeks later Princess refunded the deposit and FP.  I called Visa and they reversed what they had credited.  They said they would have spotted it eventually and reversed their credit but they appreciated my call so it could be sorted out easily.  To date, Princess still has not refunded the excursions so the amount from my Visa dispute stays.  Other than some long waits on the phone, Visa was very good to work with and made the dispute very easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 2:21 AM, ceilidh1 said:

I know some on here (like me) disputed with credit cards after getting no joy from Princess and some of those that did have since received refunds from Princess. Just wondering what process (if any) you followed? I filed a dispute at day 75 and now have temp credits on my cards for the full amount paid to Princess. I have only contacted Princess once since filing the dispute and was told that my refund was processed on June 23rd. I still haven't seen that. I'm now wondering if I even need to worry about it anymore. I don't intend to contact them again, but assume that either the temp credits becomes permanent or Princess pays up and the credits disappear? Anyone out there have anything different?

I disputed about $5,000 in payments in May on my Barclay card and Princess tells me (via live chat) that they accepted the chargebacks on June 4th in my favor.  However, the credits on my card are still temporary, and as of yesterday Barclay (via their contact form)  says the disputes are still open and so I have to take it up with Princess.  I explained that in Princess' eyes the disputes were resolved in my favor over a month ago and that Princess is saying they don't need to do anything else, and that Barclay is the one who needs to "complete" them.  Each is saying that the ball is in the other's court.

 

I've tried reaching a live person at Barclay but haven't been able to.  In a letter from Barclay from when I originally filed the disputes, they said although they issued provisional credits they would rebill the charges within 90 days if not resolved in my favor.  So, since no one will give me an answer, does that mean that once 90 days are past the money is mine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If one is expecting an FCC instead of a refund, is there a reason one should file a dispute with their credit card company?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cvpends said:

If one is expecting an FCC instead of a refund, is there a reason one should file a dispute with their credit card company?

Even if you opted for FCC, you would still get port fees/taxes refunded along with any additional pre-paid items such as shorex, grats, air, etc...I opted for FCC but am also due around $3,500 as a refund for all of the pre-paid items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...