Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

I just checked Princess web page for advisories and note a new alert dated Mar 20 that is very involved and somewhat convoluted. My cancelled cruise was Apr 19 so falls within the first alert communication dated Mar 12.

I assume that THIS new  Mar 20 communication covers people who are not covered within the first 60 day forced cancellation but by the time I got to the bottom, I was totally confused.

anyone else read the whole thing and found it clear as mud?

this is the one I refer to

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

11 minutes ago, remydiva said:

I just checked Princess web page for advisories and note a new alert dated Mar 20 that is very involved and somewhat convoluted. My cancelled cruise was Apr 19 so falls within the first alert communication dated Mar 12.

I assume that THIS new  Mar 20 communication covers people who are not covered within the first 60 day forced cancellation but by the time I got to the bottom, I was totally confused.

anyone else read the whole thing and found it clear as mud?

this is the one I refer to

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

I am also confused, that way it sounds is Princess is trying to distance themselves from reimbursement of the funds. If I don’t get my monies back within 60 days will be filing credit card disputes for all transactions. Will be keeping copies of all media releases for evidence.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KcFanNindy said:

I am also confused, that way it sounds is Princess is trying to distance themselves from reimbursement of the funds. If I don’t get my monies back within 60 days will be filing credit card disputes for all transactions. Will be keeping copies of all media releases for evidence.

Ok good to know it wasnt just me.. I agree with you I wonder if our option 2 of 100% cash back plus sliding scale of FCC is being clawed back.

I kept my email Confirmation. For anyone who didn’t get one, check your SPAM THATs where mine went to.

27 minutes ago, remydiva said:

Ok good to know it wasnt just me.. I agree with you I wonder if our option 2 of 100% cash back plus sliding scale of FCC is being clawed back.

I checked with my Princess Vacation Planner and asked if I could use my FCC for a cruise I was trying to book even though it wasn't yet showing.  The answer was no.  They are obviously trying to retain as well as pull in new cash.  I hope using the FCC's doesn't turn into a huge headache.  I hope they are actually planning on returning the cash if that's what people chose.  It doesn't sound legal to not return the cash if they were the one that canceled the cruise.  

I know they can't hemorrhage any more money at this time ... but, I did ask if I paid cash on a new booking, would I be able to get cash back if Princess canceled a new round of sailings.  I was told that I could definitely get cash back under these circumstances.  Keeping my fingers crossed that is true as I'm pretty sure my next sailing will also be canceled.  

51 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I checked with my Princess Vacation Planner and asked if I could use my FCC for a cruise I was trying to book even though it wasn't yet showing.  The answer was no.  They are obviously trying to retain as well as pull in new cash.  I hope using the FCC's doesn't turn into a huge headache.  I hope they are actually planning on returning the cash if that's what people chose.  It doesn't sound legal to not return the cash if they were the one that canceled the cruise.  

I know they can't hemorrhage any more money at this time ... but, I did ask if I paid cash on a new booking, would I be able to get cash back if Princess canceled a new round of sailings.  I was told that I could definitely get cash back under these circumstances.  Keeping my fingers crossed that is true as I'm pretty sure my next sailing will also be canceled.  

Sometimes I think I'm a little farther that yellow brick road ~~~\

Here's what my PVP & her support did:

> contacted customer relations & asked that my FCC be backdated

> once backdated, took 372 FCC to pay off balance of 09/02/2020 TA

> bought OBC with the rest of FCC (202)

This is all on a cruise I booked last January. So it can be done!! If your PVP cannot then call the 1-800# an hour before closing to have them do it. They are making things easy. 

FCC could not be used for port taxes / fees / insurance but I paid that a LONG long time ago

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Sometimes I think I'm a little farther that yellow brick road ~~~\

Here's what my PVP & her support did:

> contacted customer relations & asked that my FCC be backdated

> once backdated, took 372 FCC to pay off balance of 09/02/2020 TA

> bought OBC with the rest of FCC (202)

This is all on a cruise I booked last January. So it can be done!! If your PVP cannot then call the 1-800# an hour before closing to have them do it. They are making things easy. 

FCC could not be used for port taxes / fees / insurance but I paid that a LONG long time ago

she told me they were doing that but changed their policy.  I’m sure I will use the FCC as I have five more cruises booked on Princess ... right now, they just want an influx of new money.  

10 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

. right now, they just want an influx of new money.  

Lol, well I just gave them about 10K of my new money in Feb. when making our final payment and purchasing excursions.  Excuse me Princess,  but I would like it back 🤣🤣🤣.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

she told me they were doing that but changed their policy.  I’m sure I will use the FCC as I have five more cruises booked on Princess ... right now, they just want an influx of new money.  

😲 I did it 2 days ago!! Wow things change fast. If I cannot apply the FCC from the last cancelled cruise to my spring cruise, I'll cancel it and rebook. But now I'm really glad I put the remainder of the cancelled March 22nd FCC on as OBC. I'll use it (+ more) up as I don't have B.S.E. on that one

I really suggest calling the 1-800-774-6237# and asking if they can

15 hours ago, KcFanNindy said:

I read it that Princess intends to resume operations on May 11, 2020, and that those who have sailings after May 11, 2020, and before July 31, 2020, will only get future cruise credits if they cancel.  I don't see any changes in policy for those who had cruises canceled between March and prior to May 11, 2020.   Is that right?

29 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

I read it that Princess intends to resume operations on May 11, 2020, and that those who have sailings after May 11, 2020, and before July 31, 2020, will only get future cruise credits if they cancel.  I don't see any changes in policy for those who had cruises canceled between March and prior to May 11, 2020.   Is that right?

That's not entirely true, we cancelled our 5/16/20 Alaskan cruise on 3/19/20 to receive cash refund and $100/pp FCC for our cancellation fee.  It still goes back to their original passage contract as far as cancellation fees.  It will probably take a while for them to process everything but did receive confirmation email immediately of the correct $ amounts.  

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

😲 I did it 2 days ago!! Wow things change fast. If I cannot apply the FCC from the last cancelled cruise to my spring cruise, I'll cancel it and rebook. But now I'm really glad I put the remainder of the cancelled March 22nd FCC on as OBC. I'll use it (+ more) up as I don't have B.S.E. on that one

I really suggest calling the 1-800-774-6237# and asking if they can

That's interesting .. I spoke to her 4 days ago.  I still haven't gotten my FCC's applied yet and I think the next cruise I have booked is going to be canceled anyway.  I can just wait it out now ... I have many sailings where it will be applicable once it has been posted to my account.  Thanks!!  

43 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

That's not how I am reading it in their new policy for sailing between May 11 - July 31 ... but it depends on what you mean by 'if THEY cancel'.  

If by THEY, you mean the booked passenger cancels... then yes, they will only receive FCC 

If by THEY, you mean Princess, I believe they still have to offer you the refund in either cash or FCCs (which will probably come with a bonus).  

And you are correct, the cruises from March to May 10 that were canceled by Princess, the terms remain unchanged.  'What's New' only applies to cruises from May 11th to July 15th.  

On 3/20/2020 at 7:51 AM, WNcruiser said:

Latest update yesterday now says up to 60 days for refunds:

I know they have a lot of cancellations but I hope it doesn’t take that long. They have a lot of our money! 

I believe it has to do more with holding onto cash as long as they can before returning it.  On other lines, I understand people are getting their refunds within a couple of weeks ... not months.  I know Princess is taking a big hit right now but, like you, I have a lot of money invested in future sailings with Princess.  

On 3/17/2020 at 10:21 AM, remydiva said:

see my post 5 mins above yours...guess AON sent out blanket emails...makes sense that AON doens't want to pay and passes the hot potato back to Princess

AON only covers valid reasons for cancellation as well as medical, etc.  once you are onboard.  They've always passed the cancel for any reason claims back to Princess for the FCCs and they've always handled it like this in the past.  

What is different is that now Princess isn't requiring those with their Vacation Protection to first file the claim with AON.  No need to get them involved in what is the ultimate outcome ... Princess has to pay these claims.  At first Princess announced this would still be required but, they must have seen that made absolutely no sense so quickly reversed that requirement.  Sadly, some people had already applied for their credit that way so had to duplicate their efforts to get their money back.  But, this is new to everyone, including the cruise lines, so we might expect to see the processes become more streamlined as this continues across most all of the cruise lines.  

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I believe it has to do more with holding onto cash as long as they can before returning it.  On other lines, I understand people are getting their refunds within a couple of weeks ... not months.  I know Princess is taking a big hit right now but, like you, I have a lot of money invested in future sailings with Princess.  

Princess may need some time to move around cash to meet the liability. As a larger cruise company, organizing a cash expenditure of this size may take some time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Princess may need some time to move around cash to meet the liability. As a larger cruise company, organizing a cash expenditure of this size may take some time. 

Spot on!!!  They've been hit the hardest, even though there certainly have been cases on other cruise lines.  It was as though they were set up to be the sacrificial lamb.  

31 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

AON only covers valid reasons for cancellation as well as medical, etc.  once you are onboard.  They've always passed the cancel for any reason claims back to Princess for the FCCs and they've always handled it like this in the past.  

What is different is that now Princess isn't requiring those with their Vacation Protection to first file the claim with AON.  No need to get them involved in what is the ultimate outcome ... Princess has to pay these claims.  At first Princess announced this would still be required but, they must have seen that made absolutely no sense so quickly reversed that requirement.  Sadly, some people had already applied for their credit that way so had to duplicate their efforts to get their money back.  But, this is new to everyone, including the cruise lines, so we might expect to see the processes become more streamlined as this continues across most all of the cruise lines.  

When we called AON they said that when Princess canceled  our cruise they canceled our Princess Vacation Protection insurance too when they did that.....does that sound right to others?

May I ask the original question again:

Has anyone received a CREDIT TO THEIR CREDIT CARD  -or-  CASH REFUND?

I'm not interested in promises, FCCs or what someone at Princess/Carnival has said.  Has Princess performed on their cash refund promise for cruises cancelled by Princess?

28 minutes ago, as400guy said:

May I ask the original question again:

Has anyone received a CREDIT TO THEIR CREDIT CARD  -or-  CASH REFUND?

I'm not interested in promises, FCCs or what someone at Princess/Carnival has said.  Has Princess performed on their cash refund promise for cruises cancelled by Princess?

No refund for me.