How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

Hi all, I am new to this board and don’t know the etiquette so my apologies if this is not an appropriate post, but, being cruise savvy perhaps one of you have some suggestions. 
My parents are on the GWV.  She is 87 with lung issues and he 89 and uses a walker. I am really struggling with how they will manage getting home. Even if someone in the family goes to help them return, it is still a 30+ hour flight with stops. And, doing all that and keeping them free of covid seems an insurmountable challenge. 

I’m thinking the best idea would be for them to ride it out there, as crazy as it sounds. I don’t know if that’s possible in regular times, never mind now. 
Has anyone had experience being stranded part way through a cruise? I’m wondering how much help is offered. I realize the possibility is remote, but has anyone been in this situation before? How did you manage?

All info, thoughts and ideas welcomed and appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

Hi all, I am new to this board and don’t know the etiquette so my apologies if this is not an appropriate post, but, being cruise savvy perhaps one of you have some suggestions. 
My parents are on the GWV.  She is 87 with lung issues and he 89 and uses a walker. I am really struggling with how they will manage getting home. Even if someone in the family goes to help them return, it is still a 30+ hour flight with stops. And, doing all that and keeping them free of covid seems an insurmountable challenge. 

I’m thinking the best idea would be for them to ride it out there, as crazy as it sounds. I don’t know if that’s possible in regular times, never mind now. 
Has anyone had experience being stranded part way through a cruise? I’m wondering how much help is offered. I realize the possibility is remote, but has anyone been in this situation before? How did you manage?

I have no doubt that the guest relations staff of Amsterdam, led by her very experienced guest relations manager, Crystal, will assist your elderly folks in getting the correct flights home. There are no direct flights from Perth (Freemantle) to the U.S. mainland, so those flights home will be long and will include at least one stop in places like Singapore, Hong Kong, Sydney and/or others. All the best to your parents for their homeward travel!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kindergirl said:

Have Guest Relations book your parents on flights, with wheelchair assistance.  The flight attendants keep an eye on these passengers during the long haul flights and get them to stay on the plane at transit stops and final arrival home, when they assist them to wheelchair assistants waiting outside the plane.  They assist with hand luggage and help them get their luggage from the carousel on arrival.  I have found Wheelchair assistants kind and helpful.  

• Like 16

1. I am on the Amsterdam and attended an informal "town hall" with the Hotel Director Henk after the announcement, and several passengers raised this concern for either themselves or others.   They are aware of the issue and are looking at options.  More to come.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

And then there are those of us that don’t fly....it’s a big problem. Not that I’d mind spending some time in AU; we’ve always wanted to.  I’d love it If the Amsterdam would stay in Fremantle or anywhere here in AU. Then we could hitch a ride back!

Linda R. 

• Like 1

Hi Kindergirl, I sympathize with your situation.

Just so nothing is overlooked, you do know that Freemantle is the seaport for Perth, a much bigger city 9 miles away. I'm impressed by your thoughts of your folks staying at Perth or someone flying out to accompany them back. What I would like to add is:

-as a few cruises are terminating at Perth, staying there for several days may improve the chances of getting a workable flight.

-some major airports have sleeping rooms inside the security area. A couple of times we have consciously chosen misconnecting flights so that we could use these rooms to get 8 hours in a bed before moving on.

-I'm not sure where you are but in addition to the Sydney-Los Angeles flights available, Air Canada has direct flights from both Sydney and Brisbane to Vancouver that would also enable one to cross the Pacific without having to go by way of an Asian airport. The flying time for the segment is 14  hours. If you are on the East Coast, flights via Dubai or Qatar are possibilities.

- https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ is a website that seems to have all the air schedules in one place. You do have to read and use all the buttons to get its full benefits but it will then quickly give you a realistic picture of what air routes might be feasible.

Good Luck, Bill
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:
  1. I am on the Amsterdam and attended an informal "town hall" with the Hotel Director Henk after the announcement, and several passengers raised this concern for either themselves or others.   They are aware of the issue and are looking at options.  More to come.

Thank you for this report from a fellow 2020 passenger.

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Thanks 🙂. Look forward to hear what options are found.

wow! I knew I asked the right group! I love the idea of getting them to Van. I’m in Ottawa, but I’ll drive there to get them if need be. A wheelchair assist sounds like a must. Great idea. 
the info on the town hall was very reassuring, and if it weren’t for your The-Inside-Cabin man, I would know way less than I do.  Thank you again for pointing me to the blogs. 
Two4Sea, I will look at the link you sent and see what I can figure out on this end while I wait for them to call.....

it’s a bad time right now, but regardless of how this all works out you ALL have helped ease my concern a bit.Thank you for the advice, the kind thoughts and the reassurance. 
I wish each of you good health and a safe way home. 

• Like 6

I think the group of passengers fighting to stay on board have it right. Airports and planes are looking like a major point of covid infection. Everyone would be safer if they just sailed back. No shows, no special events etc, but just comfortable and safe transport home. 
I tweeted Orlando Ashford and will think of other ways to support this battle. Please join in. 

• Like 7

If they can swing it money-wise, try to get them a seat in first class, especially if the plane has the seats that flatten into a bed. For a long haul flight like this, they will be so much more comfortable. 

Sorry that they (and you!) are having to deal with this. Hope they have safe travels!

• Like 4

We did Virgin from Perth to Sydney.

Jetstar (qantas sub) Sydney to Hawaii

Two days  in HNL.  AC home the first time, United last year.

DW had 2 cracked vertebrae from a fall in KL  the first time so we had to take it easy.  Last year we did the same route from Sydney by choice.  We wanted to avoid a long flight.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I am feeling for you all on ms Amsterdam and can’t really imagine how you all must be feeling. The uncertainty, the worry, the stress and the sadness that go with this cruise ending. I hate to add to your burden, but I have a big favour to ask. 
would anyone be willing to get a message to Jim and Cathy Lee to call home? Regardless of time of day, 3am is fine. If they could connect to wifi they could FaceTime, but tech is challenging for them and they often need help. 
Kathi @Scrapnana. very kindly offered to get them a message, but I don’t know their suite number. She graciously offered to leave a note at guest services,  but they still haven’t called. I suspect it’s the time difference. 
so I think it’s time for more drastic measures...

my mom FaceTimed me from the eating area on deck seven. She walked out the door, turned left and their room was the first on the right. Does that help to figure out their number? 
excuse my ignorance, I’ve never had the opportunity to go on a cruise, although it’s a goal. One day. Maybe not right now. 

Would anyone be willing and able to get them my message? Again, I know you have your own stuff going on, so I get it if this is too much. 
It’s not just that I want to check in. We have a contact in Fremantle that can help them, but they will never know if they don’t call. 

Thank you in advance and I’m keeping you all in my thoughts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

I am feeling for you all on ms Amsterdam and can’t really imagine how you all must be feeling. The uncertainty, the worry, the stress and the sadness that go with this cruise ending. I hate to add to your burden, but I have a big favour to ask. 
would anyone be willing to get a message to Jim and Cathy Lee to call home? Regardless of time of day, 3am is fine. If they could connect to wifi they could FaceTime, but tech is challenging for them and they often need help. 
Kathi @Scrapnana. very kindly offered to get them a message, but I don’t know their suite number. She graciously offered to leave a note at guest services,  but they still haven’t called. I suspect it’s the time difference. 
so I think it’s time for more drastic measures...

my mom FaceTimed me from the eating area on deck seven. She walked out the door, turned left and their room was the first on the right. Does that help to figure out their number? 
excuse my ignorance, I’ve never had the opportunity to go on a cruise, although it’s a goal. One day. Maybe not right now. 

Would anyone be willing and able to get them my message? Again, I know you have your own stuff going on, so I get it if this is too much. 
It’s not just that I want to check in. We have a contact in Fremantle that can help them, but they will never know if they don’t call. 

Thank you in advance and I’m keeping you all in my thoughts. 

The only eating area on deck 7 is the Neptune Lounge. So your parents are in a Neptune Suite?

Unfortunately, your description only indicates a range of suites because the lounge has doors to two corridors. Perhaps someone onboard who reads this could take a message to the Neptune Lounge concierges. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kindergirl said:

wow! I knew I asked the right group! I love the idea of getting them to Van. I’m in Ottawa, but I’ll drive there to get them if need be.

I know you're thinking out loud, and you have a lot to digest. All this has been thrown at you out of the blue.

But please reconsider driving to Vancouver to get them. It's a 45-hour drive each way, and that's 45 hours of driving, not a 45-hour trip. Five days of 10-hours-a-day, each way. 

A five-hour flight (even after a transpacific flight) seems more gentle for an elderly couple. You could fly to YVR and return with them.

Hopefully, HAL will get them (and others) to somewhere in eastern North America. 

WM

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LP Dad said:

I know you're thinking out loud, and you have a lot to digest. All this has been thrown at you out of the blue.

But please reconsider driving to Vancouver to get them. It's a 45-hour drive each way, and that's 45 hours of driving, not a 45-hour trip. Five days of 10-hours-a-day, each way. 

A five-hour flight (even after a transpacific flight) seems more gentle for an elderly couple. You could fly to YVR and return with them.

Hopefully, HAL will get them (and others) to somewhere in eastern North America. 

WM

I was thinking the same thing but was afraid to post it.

• Like 1

That’s a very good point @LP Dad .  I don’t mind the drive, but it would be a lot for them. You are also right, I’m just trying to absorb and figure it all out. 

We could hunker down there perhaps.  But honestly at this point if HAL isn’t going to bring them back (although I believe we have the power to make that different by advocating to HAL, all of us) they might be best to wait it out there and I’ll go and help.

2 hours ago, Kindergirl said:

I think the group of passengers fighting to stay on board have it right. Airports and planes are looking like a major point of covid infection. Everyone would be safer if they just sailed back. No shows, no special events etc, but just comfortable and safe transport home. 
I tweeted Orlando Ashford and will think of other ways to support this battle. Please join in. 

I read on another thread about some 30-day agreement.  If that is the case, it is not feasible to expect that HAL will simply sail direct to FLL.  So far, Princess, NCL and RCL have suspended for 30 to 60 days all their cruises, although NCL will allow present cruisers to finish.  OTOH, NCL does not have long cruises.  HAL has to look at the safety and welfare of its passengers, as well as its financial bottom line.  Seattle is probably concerned that it may not be able to disembark the passengers in FLL, as experienced in Asia with the Westerdam.  While it can get its passengers off the ship and returned to the U.S. is a wise decision.  If they wait another few weeks, that may not be possible.

Fortunately your parents have a relatively (and I emphasize "relatively") less onerous, direct flight from Sydney to Vancouver.  If you could manage it, consider flying to Sydney and accompanying them back.  I am so sorry for this major disappointment and inconvenience for everyone involved.

• Like 1

@Tampa Girl I appreciate your thoughts but have to disagree. I don’t think there is much right now that is riskier than flying. They CAN make a different decision and sail them back. They absolutely can and will if given enough pressure.  And if the government says no they too will back down under public pressure. 
Canadians basically started shutting down this country on our own. Our politicians then followed suit not the other way around. We have all the power if we stick together, not just on this but on bigger picture things too. 
To be clear, my mother would agree with you and totally disagree with me on this (and many other things, but I love her still lol) and will also be worried about the financial aspect. I’m just worried about getting the, both home with as little risk of exposure as possible. At their age, and in their health, exposure is extremely risky. 

• Like 2

@KindergirlHave you tried calling HAL Emergency contact numbers? Perhaps they can get a message to your parents or tell you their cabin number in this difficult situation. I'm assuming you are listed as their emergency contact on their profile.

Business Hours: 206-626-9000
After Hours & Holidays: 1-800-628-4771 or 1-206-286-3294

• Like 6