How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

1 minute ago, Kindergirl said:

So they really are getting here tomorrow???

🧐

this date stuff is confusing. 

They really will be home tomorrow?!?!

😃

I might not be celebrating as much as you are, but I am grinning! Though I got something in my eye.

• Like 3

The flight from LA to Tampa leaves at 10:40 and is supposed to arrive at 6:04pm 

What would I do without you all?  They would have arrived and I’d just be sitting in Sarasota!

@richwmn thank you! @Copper10-8 thank you! @cccole thank you!  Thank you all!

I can’t believe they will be home tomorrow. So amazing!

• Like 4

Just now, Kindergirl said:

Guess who I am talking to who is NOT on a plane?

it really is Monday. they are just departing the ship now. 

@Copper10-8 you are really going to wish you hadn’t been so kind by the time this is done. I am so sorry for the confusion. 

That's not a problem; We'll do this again in 24 hrs 😉

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Kindergirl said:

@Copper10-8 You really are amazing! I’m so sorry and so grateful.

I better get some sleep, clearly I need it.  Remind me to never cross the date line, I will miss my flight for sure. 

goodnight all. 

A good night of sleep is a good thing after a drive from Ottawa to Sarasota plus a confusing time zone issue 😉

I will be there Mon morning and get them to Delta Terminal 2 for their Tampa Flight

I'll have my cell on me so you can have a chat with them during their layover

Goodnight! 🙂 

• Like 6

It's always fun travelling from the southern hemisphere up to the northern one - even for us seasoned Aussies.

We arrive the day we left and lose/miss a day coming home 🙂 

Here's hoping all those travelling north in the next few days arrive safe and sound, maybe a touch weary but smiling just the same.  There's going to be some stories to tell in the next few days/weeks. 

Edited by cranethie
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

I better get some sleep, clearly I need it.  Remind me to never cross the date line, I will miss my flight for sure. 

goodnight all. 

It's very confusing. When we flew home from Sydney, the stupid airline computer wouldn't let me check in for my flight the morning of the flight because they did the date line thing wrong and said it was too early to check in! 

Try to spend tomorrow resting and relaxing. Your parents will be tired and it will do them a lot of good seeing you relaxed and not looking as tired as they will feel.

• Like 3

Three more tips if they contact you before they fly. 

1) Have them write down on paper your phone number, email and message numbers. Button or contact 1 doesn't cut it on a dead phone. That way someone else can help if needed. 

2) Have them charge the phones every chance they get but keep them turned off most of the time and make sure to keep track of the chargers. 

3) Now that everyone on this site knows the flt #s watch out for scams. Make sure not to wire money to some unknown number because they say so and so is in the hospital and wont start treatment until they get some money or fall for some other scam. 

sightcrr

• Like 6

14 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Do they know they are famous & they have an entire group of us routing for them and you? 

Seriously!

I'm looking forward to them being home safely as much as I am my aunt and uncle (in-law)!

• Like 2

Okay, I slept, I am well rested and....

I didn’t want to say anything yesterday but I thought I might be getting a sore throat and I was scared because if I have it what would I do?

Clearly I was just tired and stressed as my partner suggested because I woke up feeling fine. That was a huge relief. 
@SightCRR thank you for the advice. That makes such good sense with one complicating factor, they never turn on their cell! Don’t even get me started! Lol

i know I have other people on this board to call out personally, like my fellow Canadian adoptee from Saskatoon. (I love your province.  I saw northern lights there like I never have before.) please know I am reading and appreciating each and every message!

To those cheering from the sidelines aka the Jim and Cathy Fan Club, thank you. It’s crazy nice to know that people from all over care. 

Let’s see what today brings. Cheers everyone. 

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Kindergirl said:

goodnight all. 

When my girlfriend from NY stopped over in Hawaii en route to Australia, she did miss her flight.  A shop assistant in Honolulu told her the bad  news.  Despite me warning her, it is easy to do, because the flight check in was before midnight the day before.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

A good night of sleep is a good thing after a drive from Ottawa to Sarasota plus a confusing time zone issue 😉

I will be there Mon morning and get them to Delta Terminal 2 for their Tampa Flight

I'll have my cell on me so you can have a chat with them during their layover

Goodnight! 🙂 

Gotta say that you are the best! With our many actual days (850 or so) on HAL, I don't think our paths have crossed and hope they will in the future! And the best to Kindergal and her parents........

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tjcox9 said:

Gotta say that you are the best! With our many actual days (850 or so) on HAL, I don't think our paths have crossed and hope they will in the future! And the best to Kindergal and her parents........

I agree.  I have always trusted his comments and wisdom, without knowing him.  Now I know how kind he is.  Kindness is needed, at this difficult time, more than ever.

• Like 3

Kindergirl - where have your parents been staying?  Did they have help to/from the air craft from Perth to Sydney?  Hope so.

Can't wait to see Copper10-8's photo tomorrow a.m.  I am still "on call" if he needs help.  Keep us posted as to their progress.  Cherie

• Like 5

@Copper10-8 alerted me to the fact that We may have a problem with their LA to Tampa flight. I went on and sure enough it’s cancelled. What’s worse though is that it appears to me that their Perth to Sydney flight was cancelled too. 
if anyone has a minute can you double check that I’m not making a mistake?

The flight was DL 7284 and I was looking at the link copper10-8 sent. Flightaware.com

The Sydney to LAX flight seems fine (DL 6799) seems on track, so hopefully they got on another flight to Sydney. 

There seem to be other flights from LAX to TPA besides their cancelled DL 1301

No worries if y’all are busy (I’m trying to practice my southern accent for my new life in Florida) I’m pretty sure I didn’t  mix this up. 

• Like 2

Have you checked to see if you can postpone all flights for 1 day?  Hopefully the HAL rep is still helping them with everything.  AA has flights direct from DFW to TPA but I don't know if that will work.  HAL should really be helping them.

If they are able to stay in a hotel in Perth or Sydney until everything is sorted that might be the best.  I hope they are being well taken care of.

Lots of stress involved but you are trying to absorb a lot of it.  See if another day might work.   Cherie

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@Copper10-8 alerted me to the fact that We may have a problem with their LA to Tampa flight. I went on and sure enough it’s cancelled. What’s worse though is that it appears to me that their Perth to Sydney flight was cancelled too. 
if anyone has a minute can you double check that I’m not making a mistake?

The flight was DL 7284 and I was looking at the link copper10-8 sent. Flightaware.com

The Sydney to LAX flight seems fine (DL 6799) seems on track, so hopefully they got on another flight to Sydney. 

There seem to be other flights from LAX to TPA besides their cancelled DL 1301

No worries if y’all are busy (I’m trying to practice my southern accent for my new life in Florida) I’m pretty sure I didn’t  mix this up. 

I've been following. My husband is a captain at Delta. Today's LAX-TPA flight was canceled, as well as yesterday's. Tomorrow's (your parent's flight) is still scheduled to operate - as of right now. There's about 70 passengers booked on that flight (the plane holds 180). 

DL is gradually canceling flights day by day as they find it necessary to do so. This is all part of the 70% reduction in service. The fact that they've canceled this flight for the past two days is not a good sign. It will likely be canceled tomorrow, the next day and onward. There is of course a possibility they will not cancel - but the likelihood seems to be that they will. 

My husband is supposed to go to work on Tuesday. They have begun to cancel some of his flights but only on the first day of his trip so far. No cancelations on any domestic flights past that, as they are taking it day by day. 

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's such an awful situation and it really puts everyone between a rock and a hard place. If I were in your shoes, I would not want them to fly. I honestly do not think it's safe at all for high risk individuals. A hotel room in Perth is probably safer - however, I am not an expert. Please PM me if you want more details. I also know the airline industry like the back of my hand (former flight attendant and current travel agent) so just let me know if you need any help. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1