How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

8 minutes ago, Aussie Gal said:

I was not chiming in with false information. In fact what I said was true. My friends on the Amsterdam had sent me an email with the information that LA would be closing and therefore they cannot leave Australia until April 15th on Delta Air. They are looking into my suggestion of flying to Hawaii but as the internet is so slow on the ship, they are sending my emails on to their TA in the States.  I certainly would not be putting incorrect information on this Board if I hadn't heard it from my friends who are in the same difficulty as Kindergirl's parents.

Jennie

People with limited communication on board ship might not have the best access to info.  Flights to/from Australia may have been canceled and it got erroneously communicated as an LAX shutdown.  Even SFO is open with San Francisco and surrounding are under a shelter in place order.  Not many flight flying with most countries locking down their boarders, though I did see some international flights into LAX and/or SFO EVO from Tapei, JAL through Tokyo, AeroMexico through Mexico city.

One issue of course is if her parents are not US citizens the US might not let them get on a plane to the US even if there is a route still flying.

On 3/14/2020 at 1:26 AM, Copper10-8 said:

I have no doubt that the guest relations staff of Amsterdam, led by her very experienced guest relations manager, Crystal, will assist your elderly folks in getting the correct flights home. There are no direct flights from Perth (Freemantle) to the U.S. mainland, so those flights home will be long and will include at least one stop in places like Singapore, Hong Kong, Sydney and/or others. All the best to your parents for their homeward travel!

From what I read today Holland America will be throwing them off the ship and they have to figure it out how to get home from halfway around the world.  Guess you can not expect anything more from Carnival their parent company.  Worst cruise line in creation. Would not sail with them for free.  Hope it works out for the poor people on board. 

42 minutes ago, Aussie Gal said:

I was not chiming in with false information. In fact what I said was true. My friends on the Amsterdam had sent me an email with the information that LA would be closing and therefore they cannot leave Australia until April 15th on Delta Air. They are looking into my suggestion of flying to Hawaii but as the internet is so slow on the ship, they are sending my emails on to their TA in the States.  I certainly would not be putting incorrect information on this Board if I hadn't heard it from my friends who are in the same difficulty as Kindergirl's parents.

Jennie

Just a heads up; That post your quoted above was directed at moi and rightfully so, since I provided bunk info on AC flts from LAX to Toronto. Hope you're doing well Aussie Girl and please stay safe down under!

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

From what I read today Holland America will be throwing them off the ship and they have to figure it out how to get home from halfway around the world.  Guess you can not expect anything more from Carnival their parent company.  Worst cruise line in creation. Would not sail with them for free.  Hope it works out for the poor people on board. 

Sure thing however, that info Re; Amsterdam providing assistance for those with independent travel arrangements has been changed for the positive, based on the latest reports from folks onboard.......

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up; That post your quoted above was directed at moi and rightfully so, since I provided bunk info on AC flts from LAX to Toronto. Hope you're doing well Aussie Girl and please stay safe down under!

Hi Copper, lovely to hear from you after all this time. I have been off the HAL boards for quite some time but when our friends were stuck in such a predicament down here I came over to see what was happening. I do feel for everyone on the Amsterdam and any other ship that is trying to dock so far from home. Of course if they would have been allowed to dock in Sydney or Melbourne, it would have been so much easier for everyone. Luckily, our friends are fit and well and at the moment are thinking of exploring more of Oz before heading back home on the flight they have booked on Delta though I am sure that if they could get an earlier flight, they would be home asap.

Jennie

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Sure thing however, that info Re; Amsterdam providing assistance for those with independent travel arrangements has been changed for the positive, based on the latest reports from folks onboard.......

From, a Canadian perspective You're too polite☺️

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Aussie Gal said:

I was not chiming in with false information. In fact what I said was true. My friends on the Amsterdam had sent me an email with the information that LA would be closing and therefore they cannot leave Australia until April 15th on Delta Air. 

I suggest you drop the shovel.

Edited by LP Dad
None
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LP Dad said:

I suggest you drop the shovel.

What do you mean by that!   I have never head of that expression so I presume you are being extremely rude.

My information was the latest from my friends who were asking me to try and help them find other flights out of our country. As well as suggesting returning back to the States via  Hawaii I even suggested catching Singapore airlines and flying directly from Singapore to New York or going via San Francisco.   The Delta flight was the one that was given to them by HAL as they are independent travellers.  By that date in April, our International airports here could be closed as our country is trying to contain the virus. Most of the infected people have picked it up from those who have been overseas.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Aussie Gal said:

This is tragic.....

Since the flights are threatening to be cancelled....I would contact the U.S. Embassy (or Canadian) as soon as possible...giving them a heads-up on the number of people who might be in distress...

The U.S. and Canada extracted citizens from China and Japan....they may have to do the same in Australia....

I am so sorry......

28 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

This is tragic.....

Since the flights are threatening to be cancelled....I would contact the U.S. Embassy (or Canadian) as soon as possible...giving them a heads-up on the number of people who might be in distress...

The U.S. and Canada extracted citizens from China and Japan....they may have to do the same in Australia....

I am so sorry......

They were extracted by airplane.  If you cannot fly, this would not help.

5 hours ago, Aussie Gal said:

Jennie

Can post a source to this, LAX airport site, State of California, CDC?   If true this is significant.  But if it is false and just gossip and is irresponsible especially towards those on the ship.   

10 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

They were extracted by airplane.  If you cannot fly, this would not help.

I believe they were extracted by non-commercial flights arranged by each countries government...

Being able to avoid flying altogether....doesn't seem to be an option....they have to be saved somehow..

What is HAL's excuse NOT to bring the ship back to Ft. Lauderdale? It's 11000 NM from Fremantle to FLA via the Panama canal with a stop in New Zealand to top of bunkers and provisions, with out letting anyone go ashore. The crossing from New Zealand to Panama is around 6700 NM, with an economical speed of 450 NM per day that is give or take 15 days. Top of bunkers/provisions in Panama and on to FLA which is 3 days.

It is 7 days fm Fremantle to NZ, one day bunkers/provisions, 15 days to cross Pacific to Panama, 1 day bunkers/prov., 1 day Canal, 3 days to FLA. Total days 28! Why is that a "DAM" problem? 

17 minutes ago, sparks247 said:

What is HAL's excuse NOT to bring the ship back to Ft. Lauderdale? It's 11000 NM from Fremantle to FLA via the Panama canal with a stop in New Zealand to top of bunkers and provisions, with out letting anyone go ashore. The crossing from New Zealand to Panama is around 6700 NM, with an economical speed of 450 NM per day that is give or take 15 days. Top of bunkers/provisions in Panama and on to FLA which is 3 days.

It is 7 days fm Fremantle to NZ, one day bunkers/provisions, 15 days to cross Pacific to Panama, 1 day bunkers/prov., 1 day Canal, 3 days to FLA. Total days 28! Why is that a "DAM" problem? 

No excuses, just well thought-out reasons.

Eg:

Number one reason: All cruise ships not already in New Zealand waters are not permitted to dock. There is no guarantee that any ports along the route will allow entry, including the USA.

Number two reason: Look at a map and see how far from land (ie medical help) these fragile passengers will be during the journey.

Edited by colbe
Spelling
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, sparks247 said:

A copy of the letter that HAL provided to the passengers was posted on one of these threads about the world voyage ending -- I cannot find it at the moment but it lays out a number of good reasons why it is not feasible for HAL to transport these passengers back to the US -- some of the reasons include the potential of countries closing ports to ships, even potentially for bunkering fuel and receiving supplies.

Another reason is the lack of medical equipment onboard for more than basic stabilization of ill patients, and only a few at a time. What would happen if coronavirus infection DID break out onboard (remembering that the disease can take 14 days to manifest....)?  Or what if passengers who elect to remain onboard suffer some other medical emergency that the ship cannot deal with -- but no country will allow them to medivac?

There was also a question as to whether the US would even allow the ship to disembark passengers, if it were to arrive back to FLL; and what about passengers onboard who then would not be able to fly back to countries OTHER than the US? (Not all world cruise passengers are Americans...)

Edited to add:  Look how much our world picture has changed in the last month. Who could possibly predict what these passengers might face in another month if they cruised back, rather than returning now?  I don't imagine things are going to have changed for the positive in the next 30 days.  Maybe in more like 3-4 months....

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowsby said:

I believe they were extracted by non-commercial flights arranged by each countries government...

Being able to avoid flying altogether....doesn't seem to be an option....they have to be saved somehow..

Yep, the U.S., Canadian and UK governments chartered 747-400ERF aircraft from U.S. cargo airline Kallita Air to evacuate pax from both Diamond Princess (Yokohama, Japan) as well as Grand Princess pax (Oakland, CA) to military airfields in the U.S. and Canada, and a civilian airfield in the U.K.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colbe said:

No excuses, just well thought-out reasons.

Eg:

Number one reason: All cruise ships not already in New Zealand waters are not permitted to dock. There is no guarantee that any ports along the route will allow entry, including the USA.

Number two reason: Look at a map and see how far from land (ie medical help) these fragile passengers will be during the journey.

Well, if you look at the itinerary of this world cruise, crossing the Pacific westbound the only stop they made with decent medical facilities was Hawaii. Now if these fragile people can't fly because of pre-existing conditions what other options do you have? The ship has to relocate to FLA anyway to start her next trip(s), if this is going to happen.

And a ship does not have to dock to refuel and or pick up provisions, this can be done at anchor or on the roads, with very limited or no interaction with vessel's crew. Done this many times in my previous life. 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

A copy of the letter that HAL provided to the passengers was posted on one of these threads about the world voyage ending -- I cannot find it at the moment but it lays out a number of good reasons why it is not feasible for HAL to transport these passengers back to the US -- some of the reasons include the potential of countries closing ports to ships, even potentially for bunkering fuel and receiving supplies.

Another reason is the lack of medical equipment onboard for more than basic stabilization of ill patients, and only a few at a time. What would happen if coronavirus infection DID break out onboard (remembering that the disease can take 14 days to manifest....)?  Or what if passengers who elect to remain onboard suffer some other medical emergency that the ship cannot deal with -- but no country will allow them to medivac?

There was also a question as to whether the US would even allow the ship to disembark passengers, if it were to arrive back to FLL; and what about passengers onboard who then would not be able to fly back to countries OTHER than the US? (Not all world cruise passengers are Americans...)

Edited to add:  Look how much our world picture has changed in the last month. Who could possibly predict what these passengers might face in another month if they cruised back, rather than returning now?  I don't imagine things are going to have changed for the positive in the next 30 days.  Maybe in more like 3-4 months....

I have not seen the letter, sofar none of the HAL ships have had any covid-19 infections, at least that is what they said in their post on the website, I remember an issue with one passenger on Westerdam in Cambodia. 

You be surprised how well equipped the medical facilities are on these ships but then again they came accross the Pacific, westbound, with the same limitations.

Good point in that the US would not allow a ship to disembark passengers at all, if there are no covid-19 cases on board it would likely be better to stay on board then disembark, we are not even close to the peak here in the US, it does not look good.

Anyhow......was your hands and keep your distance!!!

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

That letter is posted in Scrapnana's Live From the 2020 World Cruise, post #563.  I can't figure out how to link to it! 

2 minutes ago, jmkennett said:

Just a few minutes ago, CNN reported that Australia and NZ are closing to almost all foreigners.  What now?  

It will depend on how the Australian ban is worded. For New Zealand it is for anyone starting their journey after 23.59 tonight.

13 hours ago, RJB said:

I agree 100%. Once you are off the ship....you are OFF the ship! No matter how nice staff is, no matter what is promised, HAL just wants you OFF! Then you don't know about flights. Which are cancelled, etc. They don't even care if you threaten them with a lawsuit. Some lines may not even be around 3 months from now. Some will most likely merge with others. A true nightmare. Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

I agree 100%. Once you are off the ship....you are OFF the ship! No matter how nice staff is, no matter what is promised, HAL just wants you OFF! Then you don't know about flights. Which are cancelled, etc. They don't even care if you threaten them with a lawsuit. Some lines may not even be around 3 months from now. Some will most likely merge with others. A true nightmare. Good luck.

I disagree 100%.  My health situation back last Nov. 2019 when I was taken off the Noordam in Noumea, New Caledonia and taken to a hospital.   Hal and the Port Authority were in constant contact with the whole to time we were there (8 days).  We also received phone calls from Hal when we got home.  The most certainly were concerned.  Thank you very much Hal.  BTW I do agree that my situation does not match was is happening now and I feel certain Hal does care.

• Like 6

I received an email overnight from friends on the Pacific Princess World Cruise which is on it's way to Fremantle to offload passengers.  She says the 2 of them are going to be able to stay onboard the ship until it reaches LA, due to the husband's health issues.  He has diabetes and some type of heart problem.  He was medically cleared to take this cruise, and the part that is confounding me is they flew from the US to Sydney to join Pacific Princess since they only booked a segment ending in Cape Town.  Now he is being allowed to stay on board until they arrive back in LA.  

That is what was reported last night so I'm not sure what the word is today since we all know things change so rapidly.  I just hope they are prepared for the fact that there may not be any emergency rescues if something happens to one of them while isolated at sea.  The wife herself has COPD.

• Like 1