Changes to cruising in Australia - what happened today

Here in Australia we’ve had an interesting day... 

P&O and Carnival suspended sailing for 30 days

Royal embarked guests on Radiance in Sydney then cancelled and is now disembarking them ... many were turned away due to no drs certification saying they were fit to travel.

Ovation left Sydney on Thursday 12th March and has nowhere to go so is returning to Australia... New Zealand has closed all ports until 30 June. South Pacific is all but closed to cruise ships. 

No announcement from Royal yet about voluntarily suspending cruises here! 

Many unhappy cruisers!!

• Thanks 1

Royal have handled this terribly, at least Carnival and P&O have let guests know what is going on and cancelled their cruises. Royal are still trying to sell cruises out of Australia for the next couple of months despite Radiance going nowhere today, Ovation and Voyager heading to Sydney with crews apparently being sent home. No information from Royal, cruise guests just left hanging in the wind.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Miamia65 said:

P&O and Carnival suspended sailing for 30 days

Royal embarked guests on Radiance in Sydney then cancelled and is now disembarking them ... many were turned away due to no drs certification saying they were fit to travel.

Ovation left Sydney on Thursday 12th March and has nowhere to go so is returning to Australia... New Zealand has closed all ports until 30 June. South Pacific is all but closed to cruise ships. 

No announcement from Royal yet about voluntarily suspending cruises here! 

Many unhappy cruisers!!

I am sure, they can either choose stay in Australia for their duration paying for a hotel room an expense they didn't foresee or pay high change fees to the airlines like so many did in London to get back.  The cost to them and what they are going through is sad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

There a number of East Coast sailings going to Canada before July 1 as well.

oh yes thanks for reminding me.  Then again they might end up in Bermuda.  

What a mess but if it helps.   I am thinking that John LaLa and Twangster should rent an RV and travel the roads of USA and report back to us.  Ha ha.

15 hours ago, Miamia65 said:

Many unhappy cruisers!!

They jumped the gun..

a.  Effective Monday, March 16, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

These are terrible times to want to cruise.  We had our March 14th cruise cancelled.  Our April and May will have to be cancelled because I doubt if I can get my doctor to sign that certification.

• Like 2

Just now, LXA350 said:

What is happening with Spectrum, are they continuing to offer the cruises to no where from Sydney for the responders? Wonder where all these ships will be docked for the next 30 days.

Someone else mentioned that she's on her last of the free cruises for the responders. Radiance is arriving in Port Kembla - I assume fees are cheaper there and less crowded than Sydney harbor.

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

No, there are two. Royal ships only use one dock though.

Royal Ships are to high to fit under the harbour bridge hence they can only use the Main Terminal at the Rocks

On 3/15/2020 at 10:40 PM, LXA350 said:

What is happening with Spectrum, are they continuing to offer the cruises to no where from Sydney for the responders? Wonder where all these ships will be docked for the next 30 days.

The Sydney port schedule has Spectrum anchored in Sydney harbour from now until 30 April 2020.

Radiance, Voyager and Ovation will be berthed at Port Kembla Australia

• Thanks 1

We were on the cancelled Radiance March 14 cruise.  We got off prior to the walk off deadline of 12 midnight saturday mar 14.  Otherwise we would be put into tender boats or tender cats the next day but captain said high winds were expected the following day that could delay tenders.  We organized our flights and hotel accommodation all free fue to our trip interruption insurance and spent another lively day in Sydney.  Everyone was offered free wi fi which enabled us to book what we needed.  We are taking cruise fare refundable to our credit card.  No interest in future cruise credit.  I think I we will stick to newer ships as our balcony cabin had seen better days.  Balcony was in rough shape.  Will stick to new and shiny and prefer new Princess ships as well.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Miamia65 said:

The Sydney port schedule has Spectrum anchored in Sydney harbour from now until 30 April 2020.

Radiance, Voyager and Ovation will be berthed at Port Kembla Australia

Are all of the crew still aboard these cruise ships?

1 hour ago, Dennis#1 said:

Yes as far as we know - one crew member on Oasis is doing a daily video blog of what happens on board with the crew. He is up to day 5 of the 30 day shut down  

6 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Spectrum have started disembarking . They have been told they are going home. But it could take days/weeks for them to get their flights. Until then, they're enjoying the guest life.