Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bvocruise

Cancel Before Deadline or Wait and Get Future Cruise Credit

Recommended Posts

My wife and I have an Alaska cruise tour scheduled on HAL departing 6/10/2020.  It appears that Canada has or will close their ports until July and the cruise will be canceled.  

 

We have about 11 days left to cancel and get our money back before the deadline. The entire cruise was paid for months ago.  The question is should I just go ahead and cancel or let it stay  and have it converted into a future cruise credit?  We are not loyal to any one line or travel option and always pick what the better trip is.  I'm leaning towards canceling as the Alaska trip may be pushed back a few years now due to a full travel schedule and working.

 

I'm pretty sure we will be out the airfare at this point as we had two different one way tickets on different airlines (Alaska and West Jet).  I can cancel the pre-cruise hotels and rental car with no cost.

 

I know others are in similar situations and am just curious on how to proceed.  We were just going to ride it out and go on the cruise but now do not appeal to have that option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are MANY threads here discussing the options.

 

Your cruise is after ours, so you should be able to cancel and the amount going to the FCC should just be your deposit. If that helps you make a decision. It did for us. We are rebooking to the same cruise in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are MANY threads here discussing the options.

 

Your cruise is after ours, so you should be able to cancel and the amount going to the FCC should just be your deposit. If that helps you make a decision. It did for us. We are rebooking to the same cruise in 2021.

We would like to book the same cruise for 2021 but already have a two-week vacation planned.  Plus we have a motorhome and try to use it frequently.  

 

I think we can get everything back as cash if canceling before the deadline unless I read something wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bvocruise said:

We would like to book the same cruise for 2021 but already have a two-week vacation planned.  Plus we have a motorhome and try to use it frequently.  

 

I think we can get everything back as cash if canceling before the deadline unless I read something wrong.

 

We are booked on the same cruise and were under the impression that by cancelling at this time we would only be eligible for a refund in the form of FCC, whereas if we wait until HAL cancels we will receive a cash refund. Did I get that wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

 

We are booked on the same cruise and were under the impression that by cancelling at this time we would only be eligible for a refund in the form of FCC, whereas if we wait until HAL cancels we will receive a cash refund. Did I get that wrong?

I suspect you are wrong - you should get the entire amount refunded (less perhaps a non-refundable deposit) IF you are on a normal fare.  However, if you are on some sort of non-refundable fare, the situation could likely be different and you may only get back the port taxes and fees as cash and the rest on FCC.

 

I think much of the confusion on this issue could be related to the various fare types the cruise lines are offering nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happy2cruise said:

we cancelled our 4/5 cruise 2 days ago and we charged a penalty!!!!

Thats not fare maybe they will look after you. My wife told me to cancel i told her it was to early as this a fluid situation . I was more concerned  about the money we put out for business class air. Still waiting for the flights to cancel pretty sure they will. Virus is getting out of control were its going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daisy-mae said:

 

We are booked on the same cruise and were under the impression that by cancelling at this time we would only be eligible for a refund in the form of FCC, whereas if we wait until HAL cancels we will receive a cash refund. Did I get that wrong?

I believe we can cancel before 75 days out and get everything back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bvocruise said:

I believe we can cancel before 75 days out and get everything back.

That is the standard policy, with a couple of exceptions for long, high end cruises. And there are some sales now with non-refundable deposits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...