When to go this summer?

NCteacherlovescruising

At this precise moment, I , personally, would hold off booking Alaska (or anywhere else) at the moment.

With Canada shutting down all cruise ships (over 500 passengers) until July 1st, it's hard to forecast the effect on the industry this summer. If all goes to plan, then you would be good, but with such a fluid situation which is changing literally daily, it's impossible to predict when, and in fact if, there will even BE a summer season!

We were there in late August last year and the whale watching from Icy Strait Point was outstanding. We saw a momma and calf both breaching, a pod of six or seven humpbacks bubble feeding and even followed a family of Orca around for a while. Of course, there are no guarantees of anything, but it's difficult NOT to see whales!

Assuming that our May Seattle to Alaska cruise will be cancelled we were thinking of using our FCC for later in the summer for our 1st Alaskan cruise.  After the initial disappointment has now gone away we will probably use it for summer of 2021.  Too much uncertainty and risk booking later for this year.  We'll probably lose out on our airfare and I'd hate to see this disruption extended and be stuck in the same situation with being cancelled again.  We were so looking forward to this cruise as others have too!  To be clear we have not been cancelled as of now, I just really anticipate this happening with the Canadian decision to close their ports until July 1st.  We are expecting once Royal announces that we would receive the higher FCC like the passengers received who were cancelled under the new 30 day cruise suspension.  That's why we're waiting for Royal to cancel rather than us cancelling now.

35 minutes ago, aurora_borealis said:

A real issue is that most excursion companies will not be operating if.ceuise season doesn't start until mid-July.

Concerned about this as well.

Edited by JeffT237

I usually book early for Alaska but this year I am booked for Mid August. I have to carefully keep a watch on the ever changing rules and regulations that seem to keep coming out daily. I am more concerned about the closing of the Canadian ports until July 1st. Worst case is I loose my already purchased airfare. I can always cancel our cruise before final payment is due but in the mean time when do I purchase hotel rooms? I think I will sit back for at least 30 days and them make some serious decisions. In the mean time I still plan on doing an Alaska cruise but will hope for the best. I am not the only one in this position but with a late sailing this year it just might work out. Love to cruise. Good luck to my fellow cruisers.   

32 minutes ago, vivian02 said:

I usually book early for Alaska but this year I am booked for Mid August. I have to carefully keep a watch on the ever changing rules and regulations that seem to keep coming out daily. I am more concerned about the closing of the Canadian ports until July 1st. Worst case is I loose my already purchased airfare. I can always cancel our cruise before final payment is due but in the mean time when do I purchase hotel rooms? I think I will sit back for at least 30 days and them make some serious decisions. In the mean time I still plan on doing an Alaska cruise but will hope for the best. I am not the only one in this position but with a late sailing this year it just might work out. Love to cruise. Good luck to my fellow cruisers.   

First of all, most, if not all, airlines have very easy and flexible cancellation policies right now, due to the corona virus. It may not cost you anything at all. And, unless something dramatically changes, I don't see any major changes in these cancellation policies in the near future.

Secondly, hotels also have very flexible cancellation policies in general, and even more now, again due to the virus. And, if you book a standard, no upfront cost hotel reservation, it won't cost you anything anyway, if you follow their cancellation policies. But, for example, I booked a number of hotels yesterday in the Hilton system, and they are allowing no penalty cancellations, if you book before April 30, even for pre-paid reservations.

I have to agree with a reservation made directly with a name brand hotel but in the case of a online agency where it is in print that "no cancelations can be made" then the situation changes. You might get a really good deal with an online agency only not to be able to cancel later. This should make a lot of us think twice before making those reservation. I have seen where some online agencies will allow cancelations and some will not. Read the fine print before booking is the best choice. 

On 3/14/2020 at 10:32 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I'm looking at Alaskan cruises this summer to use my FCC.  Would July or August be better and why?  We would be looking at a 7 day cruise.  Any ports I should focus on trying to get?  When is whale watching season?

I would not look before late August or Early September. Too  many unknowns to book anything sooner right now.