How long until next cancellations?

az_tchr

26 minutes ago, yorky said:

Jesus, clearly parts of America are clearly not taking this seriously. Madness.

Look at pictures from UK, on Mothering Sunday- Snowdon, Scarborough, Barry Island to name but a few.

We were told that getting out would help our Mental Health, but obviously no one was aware how many other people would be going to the same place.

Not surprised that there are long queues for shopping, I tried an online shop yesterday and there were delivery slots( which hadn’t been available a week previously) but the system crashed when I was trying to pay.

24 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Look at pictures from UK, on Mothering Sunday- Snowdon, Scarborough, Barry Island to name but a few.

We were told that getting out would help our Mental Health, but obviously no one was aware how many other people would be going to the same place.

Not surprised that there are long queues for shopping, I tried an online shop yesterday and there were delivery slots( which hadn’t been available a week previously) but the system crashed when I was trying to pay.

None essential travel was already in place and sadly ignored by many. American will need to go the same way if they don’t want to lose a lot of people. 

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

My brother actually lives in Scarborough and many people travelled over from West Yorkshire. Getting out and about was to be a walk in your local area and social distancing. By all accounts people were just queuing up at fish and chip shops six inches from each other.

17 hours ago, hcat said:

Topic is  when will the next cancellations be announced? 

What cruises do folks have booked  in the next few months after April 10th ?

(Esp ones where final payment dates have passed)

Thinking out loud  sort of  What do folks think about Jan 2021? That's when we hope to use our Future Cruise Credit...If that's too soon, we'll have to use it closer to

the exp date just like many others! Wondering f we should book a short cruise in Oct 2021, as a back up to burn our credit????? Any thoughts?

hcat, I would be concerned at this point with no data but just my speculation that a mid-winter cruise next year might be dealing with a re-birth of COVID-19 disease.  Here's to hoping that does not happen!!  I guess you could book one for Jan and still have plenty of time to change it if it becomes necessary.

4 hours ago, yorky said:

My brother actually lives in Scarborough and many people travelled over from West Yorkshire. Getting out and about was to be a walk in your local area and social distancing. By all accounts people were just queuing up at fish and chip shops six inches from each other.

Our parks were packed over the weekend (Ontario, Canada) and photos began surfacing.  Subsequently, parks have now been closed and as of midnight, Ontario has shut down all non-essential services (but essential services is still a long list)

Yesterday, our PM did a nation address to the effect and he was pissed (a very parental tone in voice!).   He said “Enough is Enough” and basically (my own modifications/interpretation of speech in next part) ...  if you don’t be good children from now on, you will be grounded!

Edited by hvbaskey

26 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

hcat, I would be concerned at this point with no data but just my speculation that a mid-winter cruise next year might be dealing with a re-birth of COVID-19 disease.  Here's to hoping that does not happen!!  I guess you could book one for Jan and still have plenty of time to change it if it becomes necessary.

That’s my worry for our cruise next February. I guess the key is now quickly they can get a vaccine out.

1 minute ago, yorky said:

That’s my worry for our cruise next February. I guess the key is now quickly they can get a vaccine out.

Unfortunately a vaccine although a great step forward would not be the final solution.  Unless it was mandated that everybody taking cruises must show a vaccination certificate.  There is a lot of non-compliance with vaccines.  We have had influenza vaccines for many years but the Flu is still a major cause of illness and deaths every year including this year.  It will be interesting to see if all of the social distancing and isolation for coronavirus lead to a decrease in influenza this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Unfortunately a vaccine although a great step forward would not be the final solution.  Unless it was mandated that everybody taking cruises must show a vaccination certificate.  There is a lot of non-compliance with vaccines.  We have had influenza vaccines for many years but the Flu is still a major cause of illness and deaths every year including this year.  It will be interesting to see if all of the social distancing and isolation for coronavirus lead to a decrease in influenza this year.

I think it’s been a quite winter for Influenza over here anyway. I think given this is on a totally different level take up of a vaccine will be high. Flu kills a lot of people but it does not shut down the world.

2 minutes ago, yorky said:

I think it’s been a quite winter for Influenza over here anyway. I think given this is on a totally different level take up of a vaccine will be high. Flu kills a lot of people but it does not shut down the world.

No - people shut down the world.  Everybody is used to Influenza virus being around so it is not the boogeyman like SARS-CoV-2 disease.   Look at the US CDC stats on their website this year for influenza and related pneumonia morbidity.  The numbers are staggering.  I am not at all minimizing the severity and response to COVID-19 disease.  It is not a competition.  Both very bad.

• Like 1

Just spoke to Celebrity. They have not changed their policy. We probably will not know about the Transatlantics until after April 11th Many of us are over 70 and don't want to bother a doctor to sign a letter. What to do and if it is signed and emailed would we get a full refund?

Ontario Cruiser

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yorky said:

The figures for flue are indeed very high, however Covid has the potential to kill more people in the US than flue does in the entire world unless people start getting real. Not helped when the president tries to play it down stating it will soon be over when it’s only just began.

I can assure you that most people here in the US are very real about this virus and its consequences.  What about Scotland and the UK?  

• Like 2

On the website it still states - 

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. We have now suspended all global sailings until April 11, 2020, when we plan to resume operations. 

🤷‍♀️

Edited by downsmead

Here in the UK we are being told to expect a peak around May / June so we are in it for the long haul. Hopefully the message has hit home to everyone just how serious the situation - you only have to see the photos of people out last weekend to appreciate that not everyone understood the threat. I would hope with the current measures, people wise up. We need a collective buy-in to avoid a catastrophic situation. Strong words I know but how else would you describe what Italy is going through.

Edited by downsmead
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I can assure you that most people here in the US are very real about this virus and its consequences.  What about Scotland and the UK?  

Sadly when you read stories about spring break still a way to go. A minority in the UK are just a stupid but with the lockdown maybe now getting the message.

26 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Here in the UK we are being told to expect a peak around May / June so we are in it for the long haul. Hopefully the message has hit home to everyone just how serious the situation - you only have to see the photos of people out last weekend to appreciate that not everyone understood the threat. I would hope with the current measures, people wise up. We need a collective buy-in to avoid a catastrophic situation. Strong words I know but how else would you describe what Italy is going through.

Big change in the attitude of the average person in our area today

28 minutes ago, downsmead said:

On the website it still states - 

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. We have now suspended all global sailings until April 11, 2020, when we plan to resume operations. 

🤷‍♀️

There have not been any new updates to the Celebrity website since the posting on the status of the Eclipse on March 17th.  Very disappointing that they have chosen to stand firm on a statement made over 9 days ago when things have changed radically in that time with COVID-19.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hcat said:

How long until the next cancellations?

If I missed this earlier, I apologize, but the Celebrity website makes reference to the ability to cancel up to 48 hours prior to embarkation and receive the FCC good through 2021. This is good for all cruises through to July 31/20. 

I’m not sure I recall seeing the July 31/20 reference on the website before, but it could signal the next round of cancelled cruises. 

Randy

11 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

If I missed this earlier, I apologize, but the Celebrity website makes reference to the ability to cancel up to 48 hours prior to embarkation and receive the FCC good through 2021. This is good for all cruises through to July 31/20. 

I’m not sure I recall seeing the July 31/20 reference on the website before, but it could signal the next round of cancelled cruises. 

Randy

I'm sure it's posted here somewhere, but I thought it originally stated May?

2 minutes ago, treehugr said:

I'm sure it's posted here somewhere, but I thought it originally stated May?

The original statement was 31 July as we are on the1st August Mediterranean cruise. We are cancelling that one and our April cruise. 

• Like 1

From the main page of the X website under CWC policy:

“Your cruise is covered by our new Cruise with Confidence cancellation program. That means you can change your sail date at any time up to 48 hours before your sailing, for itineraries departing up until 7/31/2020, or receive a Future Cruise Credit.”

The July 31, 2020 date was there from the beginning.

It is through July 31 and as far as I remember, always was. I have a b2b in July and have until April 5 to cancel and get a refund, which I will be doing. Husband wants to hang on til last minute, but I was ready to cancel a week ago. I am doubtful we can even keep out Sept. b2b. And both of us are over 70. Don't think my doctor would sign the form tho' I take no prescriptions and have  no health problems at all. 

8 hours ago, yorky said:

None essential travel was already in place and sadly ignored by many. American will need to go the same way if they don’t want to lose a lot of people. 

Beaches were closed---

-----and Bars/clubs had been previously closed.

20 somethings are "adults" and yet don't listen

Sadly--despite being asked to stay home for over a week now-Many are not coooperating...

We will flatten the curve if folks cooperate...

There was a man who KNEW he was wuhan-covid positive and flew JetBlue to FL

Was in our news yesterday....

Extended family in NC reports that people from NY/NJ have come to the community to stay with their retired parents... What made these NYers think that temporarily moving from a KNOWN hot spot--to another part of the country wasn't a risk for those they would now be with ...family/grocery store workers etc...

We Shouldn't need marshal law to know how to behave

We cancelled our August sailing... 

Edited by Fogfog

14 minutes ago, autumn lass said:

The original statement was 31 July as we are on the1st August Mediterranean cruise. We are cancelling that one and our April cruise. 

I cancelled 5  B2B cruises starting 4/17 on the second day of the CWC program, when the cancellations resulted in partial CASH & FCC. But after 5 days, in the US , Celebrity downgraded the CWC to give 100 % FCC.

I wish I had waited. There is no way, these cruises are NOT going to be cancelled. It is a mistake to cancel now and take 100% FCC. It is possible cruise lines could go bankrupt. Even if it is a 5% chance, why take the chance? Given the UK just initiated a countrywide lockdown, these repositioning cruises will not be taking place in April/May. Europe is center of issue now, and the US may be shortly. Cruise lines will need to cancel cruises for months. 

I wish I had waited ...when I cancelled the situation was not this bad. They  will need to cancel a month of cruises, at a minimum, in a few days. Wait for Celebrity to cancel so you can get 100% of your monies as a cash refund. I have been waiting weeks for my cash refund, have only received 20% of what Celebrity owed me.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Well, that would be because the flu vaccine does not prevent all strains of the flu.

In response to John 474 - I agree they will have to cancel. So disappointed that they are not being customer focused. It looks like I am going to have to wait, no response from TA or coach transfer firm when I rang. Yesterday I was informed by our NHS Coronavirus Service that I am classed as extremely vulnerable and have been told to stay within the home for a minimum of 12 weeks, so we have no choice but to cancel. Stay safe and well everyone. 

Edited by autumn lass
Didn’t attach quote from John 474